03 November 2020, 12:16
People illegally held in village church parish in Russia's Ivanovo Region, criminal case opened
Ivanovo, November 3, Interfax - Investigative authorities have opened a criminal case into the illegal detention of people on the premises of the Orthodox parish of the St. Nicolas Church in the Ivanovo Region, the press service of the Russian Investigative Committee's regional branch said on Monday.
"Investigators believe that from July 2018 and until October 2020, as yet unidentified persons illegally held people in the territory adjoining the Orthodox parish of the St. Nicolas Church in the village of Chikhachyovo in the Verkhny Landekh District of the Ivanovo Region as part of Kineshma Diocese of the Russian Orthodox Church, after misleading them about the presence of terminal diseases in them and persuading them that they could not stay outside this territory without endangering their life and health," the press service said.
Thus, these people were deprived of the possibility to move from one area to another of their own volition and communicate with their relatives, according to investigators.
The criminal case was opened on a count of "illegally holding two or more people."
Investigators carried out searches both on the premises of the St. Nicolas Church's Orthodox parish in Chikhachyovo and in the adjacent area. Documents were seized from the house of the parish's former senior priest, including documents dealing with the alienation of real estate property in his favor and in favor of persons affiliated with him who are not related with the Russian Orthodox Church.
Apart from that, investigators also seized two non-lethal weapons that the former senior priest kept without the relevant permit and around two million rubles in cash that did not belong to the parish.
The Russian Investigative Committee director earlier instructed the committee's central office to look into the circumstances surrounding the illegal detention of people there.
According to information available on the website of the Kineshma Diocese of the Ivanovo Metropolitanate of the Russian Orthodox Church that the senior priest of the St. Nicolas Church was relieved of his duties after pastoral and canonical violations came to light.
"Due to the uncovered multiple pastoral and canonical violations in the organization of the parish's life, which had an immensely negative impact on the St. Nicolas parish of the village of Chikhachyovo in the Verkhny Landekh District of the Ivanovo Region, as well as the violations of the norms of the Charter of the Russian Orthodox Church and the priest's oath, Schema-Archimandrite Ioanniky (Yefimenko) was relieved of his duties as senior priest of the parish," it said.
He was also banned from conducting religious services pending consideration of his case by an diocesan court.
The eparchy, in turn, said that Bishop of Kineshma and Palekh Hilarion "does not bless pilgrimages to Chikhachyovo."
Bishop Hilarion is personally overseeing eparchial commissions' inquiry into the situation in the St. Nicholas Church parish.
"No tourist firms or other organizations that arrange pilgrimages to the community of Chikhachyovo village do not have the ruling bishop's blessing to conduct these activities," it said.
- Patriarch Kirill grants request to retire of Metropolitan Juvenaly 14 April 2021, 18:12
- Influx of migrants contributing to emergence of hotbeds of interfaith tensions in Crimea - Patrushev 14 April 2021, 17:25
- Jehovah's Witnesses cell busted in Russia's Tula 14 April 2021, 12:21
- Yekaterinburg Diocese says nuns, lay sisters from closed Sredneuralsky Convent may choose any of its convents 14 April 2021, 10:51
- Nuns leaving Sredneuralsky Convent, diocese reps sealing off premises 14 April 2021, 10:46
- Court orders residents of Sredneuralsky Convent to leave its premises 14 April 2021, 10:40
- Russian FM speaks of important global role of Russian Orthodox Church, supports its initiatives 08 April 2021, 18:02
- Court of appeals declines to soften sentence given to leader of Aum Shinrikyo's Russian cell 08 April 2021, 10:00
- Russian man charged with organizing erotic photo shoot in UAE facing at least 6 months in prison 05 April 2021, 18:16
- Moscow court keeps former Urals schema monk Sergy in custody 05 April 2021, 17:55
- Presumed supporter of Ukrainian nationalists detained in Barnaul confesses to plotting to blow up mosque – FSB 02 April 2021, 17:53
- The FJCR official calls "the oldest manuscript" of Torah a fake 02 April 2021, 10:00
- St. Petersburg court bans mobile app of Jehovah's Witnesses in Russia 01 April 2021, 10:00
- Serial destroyer of angel sculptures detained in St. Petersburg 31 March 2021, 13:31
- Abortions in Russia dropped almost 40% over past 5 years 31 March 2021, 10:00
- Putin pledges to prevent foreign interethnic conflicts from spilling over into Russia 30 March 2021, 16:01
- Polarized opinions on acceptability of in vitro fertilization observed in Russian Orthodox Church 30 March 2021, 10:00
- Russian Jews launch a project Be free through vaccination 26 March 2021, 11:28
- Patriarch Kirill stresses importance of ensuring life without upheavals at memorial service on 220th anniversary of Emperor Pavel I's murder 25 March 2021, 10:00
- Jewish publishing house refuses to participate in a book fair as it falls on Passover 23 March 2021, 18:53
- Islamic radicals intensifying activity in Urals due to uncontrolled immigration - Patrushev 23 March 2021, 17:51
- Security Council secretary calls West's aspiration to push its norms, ideals, reforms on Russia dangerous 23 March 2021, 17:13
- A Muslim woman from the Moscow Region searches for a second wife for her husband 22 March 2021, 16:45
- Pashinyan believes revolution in Armenia was based on Christian values 22 March 2021, 13:55
- FBK lawyer Sobol attends church service in violation of conditions of her house arrest 22 March 2021, 10:00
- Yakut shaman Gabyshev found insane 19 March 2021, 13:57
- Memorial to Holocaust victims unveiled at Israeli embassy in Moscow 18 March 2021, 09:31
- Resident of St. Petersburg beats a muscovite to death as he took him for devilry 16 March 2021, 18:55
- Moscow Jewish museum organizes an exhibition about the Holocaust in PACE 16 March 2021, 14:28
- One in 8 Russians plan to observe Lent this year - poll 16 March 2021, 10:00