03 November 2020, 12:16
People illegally held in village church parish in Russia's Ivanovo Region, criminal case opened
Ivanovo, November 3, Interfax - Investigative authorities have opened a criminal case into the illegal detention of people on the premises of the Orthodox parish of the St. Nicolas Church in the Ivanovo Region, the press service of the Russian Investigative Committee's regional branch said on Monday.
"Investigators believe that from July 2018 and until October 2020, as yet unidentified persons illegally held people in the territory adjoining the Orthodox parish of the St. Nicolas Church in the village of Chikhachyovo in the Verkhny Landekh District of the Ivanovo Region as part of Kineshma Diocese of the Russian Orthodox Church, after misleading them about the presence of terminal diseases in them and persuading them that they could not stay outside this territory without endangering their life and health," the press service said.
Thus, these people were deprived of the possibility to move from one area to another of their own volition and communicate with their relatives, according to investigators.
The criminal case was opened on a count of "illegally holding two or more people."
Investigators carried out searches both on the premises of the St. Nicolas Church's Orthodox parish in Chikhachyovo and in the adjacent area. Documents were seized from the house of the parish's former senior priest, including documents dealing with the alienation of real estate property in his favor and in favor of persons affiliated with him who are not related with the Russian Orthodox Church.
Apart from that, investigators also seized two non-lethal weapons that the former senior priest kept without the relevant permit and around two million rubles in cash that did not belong to the parish.
The Russian Investigative Committee director earlier instructed the committee's central office to look into the circumstances surrounding the illegal detention of people there.
According to information available on the website of the Kineshma Diocese of the Ivanovo Metropolitanate of the Russian Orthodox Church that the senior priest of the St. Nicolas Church was relieved of his duties after pastoral and canonical violations came to light.
"Due to the uncovered multiple pastoral and canonical violations in the organization of the parish's life, which had an immensely negative impact on the St. Nicolas parish of the village of Chikhachyovo in the Verkhny Landekh District of the Ivanovo Region, as well as the violations of the norms of the Charter of the Russian Orthodox Church and the priest's oath, Schema-Archimandrite Ioanniky (Yefimenko) was relieved of his duties as senior priest of the parish," it said.
He was also banned from conducting religious services pending consideration of his case by an diocesan court.
The eparchy, in turn, said that Bishop of Kineshma and Palekh Hilarion "does not bless pilgrimages to Chikhachyovo."
Bishop Hilarion is personally overseeing eparchial commissions' inquiry into the situation in the St. Nicholas Church parish.
"No tourist firms or other organizations that arrange pilgrimages to the community of Chikhachyovo village do not have the ruling bishop's blessing to conduct these activities," it said.
- Kiev expects icon gifted to Lavrov in Sarajevo to be returned to Ukraine 15 January 2021, 17:46
- Arrested former schema-monk Sergy ends his hunger strike 15 January 2021, 16:49
- ECHR finds unproven accusations of Kiev in Russia's refusal to register religious organizations in Crimea 14 January 2021, 14:38
- Federal Penitentiary Service denies reports on deteriorating health of former schema-hegumen Sergy 14 January 2021, 14:10
- IOPS chairman says is 99% certain Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem will be returned to Russia this year 13 January 2021, 14:36
- Circus in Russia's Udmurtia says photos of animals with Nazi symbols Christmas celebration that caused scandal were taken out of context 13 January 2021, 13:24
- Supporter of Urals ex-schema-monk Sergy arrested in new case 12 January 2021, 17:29
- Emeritus Patriarchal Exarch of All Belarus Philaret dies 12 January 2021, 16:51
- Yakutian 'shaman' Gabyshev plans new 'march on Moscow' 12 January 2021, 15:28
- Arrested ex-schema-monk Sergy goes on dry hunger strike - Public Monitoring Commission 12 January 2021, 10:00
- Extremists may take advantage of new anti-money laundering regulations for religious organizations - State Duma committee 11 January 2021, 17:00
- Hockey player Datsyuk, actress Shukshina ask Putin to look into circumstances of former schema-hegumen Sergy's detention in Urals 11 January 2021, 16:23
- Christmas interview of Patriarch Kirill to Rossia TV (a shortened version) 11 January 2021, 10:10
- Decision on where icon gifted to Lavrov truly belongs can be made only after examination - Russian Orthodox Church 08 January 2021, 15:34
- Patriarch Kirill calls those who do not believe in danger of Covid-19 'stupid' 08 January 2021, 15:31
- Hagia Sophia's conversion into mosque Patriarch Bartholomew's divine retribution - Russian Church head 07 January 2021, 17:41
- Putin grateful to Syrian people for preserving Christian holy relics 07 January 2021, 17:39
- Hope, expectation of miracle human's guiding light - Putin 07 January 2021, 17:36
- Pope Francis accepts Belarusian Catholic leader Kondrusiewicz's resignation 03 January 2021, 17:18
- Russian Orthodox Church postpones Christmas Readings to Easter due to Covid-19 pandemic 30 December 2020, 19:01
- Moscow court arrests ex-schema-monk Sergy for 2 months 29 December 2020, 21:14
- Former schema-hegumen Sergy suspected of persuading 10 nuns to commit suicide 29 December 2020, 20:58
- Russian Bishops' Council to be held on November 15-18, 2021 29 December 2020, 19:57
- Russian Orthodox Church wished Russians to keep faith, hope and love 28 December 2020, 13:16
- Leader of Catholic Church in Belarus Kondrusiewicz returns to country 24 December 2020, 15:11
- Lukashenko reminds Belarusians of forgiveness, help to needy in Christmas Eve message 24 December 2020, 10:41
- Jehovah's Witness from Rostov-on-Don given suspended sentence 24 December 2020, 10:16
- Russia hands icon presented earlier to Lavrov in Sarajevo to embassy of Bosnia and Herzegovina in Moscow 23 December 2020, 18:08
- Head of Belarusian Catholics can return to country 23 December 2020, 10:04
- Biden's idea of allowing gender transitioning from age 8 'unacceptable' - Russian Orthodox Church 22 December 2020, 18:06