09 December 2020, 18:12
Tajikistan disagrees with its designation by U.S. for particular concern over religious freedom
Dushanbe, December 9, Interfax - The Tajik government's Committee on Religion and Regulation of Traditions, Celebrations, and Ceremonies has said that it is troubled by a statement issued by the United States Department of State, which has designated Tajikistan as a country of particular concern as regards religious freedom.
"The committee cannot agree with this statement of the Department of State that calls into question today's level of freedom of conscience and freedom of religion in Tajikistan. As it did on numerous occasions before, the committee again resolutely declares its unchanged position that such reports are not based on any real facts, but rely only on unofficial press," the Tajik committee said in a statement circulated on Wednesday.
The annual reports of the U.S. Department of State and the U.S. Commission on International Religious Freedom dealing with freedom of religion in Tajikistan are published almost without any editing and are practically the same year in, year out, it said. The committee has repeatedly invited a special mission to analyze the actual situation surrounding freedom of religion and to learn about the country's progress and shortcomings in this field.
"If one takes an impartial and just look at the situation, the Republic of Tajikistan has scored a number of achievements in the sphere of religion since it gained independence [after the Soviet breakup], and ignoring these achievements and including our country in the list of states where freedoms of religion and faith are violated is ultimately unjust," it said.
The committee reiterated its readiness to work together with organizations and institutions that specialize in evaluating countries' freedom of religion record.
U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said in a statement circulated by the Department of State on Tuesday that Tajikistan is among the ten countries named by the U.S. for particular concern over religious freedom.
- Kremlin not commenting on end of discussion about monument on Lubyanskaya Square - Peskov 01 March 2021, 14:19
- Moscow Mayor Sobyanin proposes to leave Lubyanskaya Square as it is for now 26 February 2021, 22:42
- Acting leader of Abkhazian Diocese is member of Georgian Church - Georgian Patriarchate 26 February 2021, 17:44
- Search underway on premises of Sredneuralsky Convent 26 February 2021, 17:41
- Defrocked priest Sergy's pretrial detention extended until end of spring 26 February 2021, 10:00
- Armenian Apostolic Church urges politicians to start talks 25 February 2021, 15:04
- Omsk resident fined 375,000 rubles for excusing terror attack in New Zealand 25 February 2021, 11:48
- Yakutian shaman Gabyshev charged with violence against police officer 25 February 2021, 10:45
- Meeting between Russian patriarch, Pope doesn't improve Christians' position in Middle East contrary to expectations - Metropolitan Hilarion 24 February 2021, 10:00
- Muscovites will choose between monuments to Dzerzhinsky, Alexander Nevsky on Lubyanka Square 20 February 2021, 10:03
- Former schema-monk Sergy admits giving bribe amounting to 'millions of dollars' 18 February 2021, 16:30
- World Russian People's Council backs idea of Ivan III monument on Lubyanka Square in Moscow 18 February 2021, 16:11
- FJCR suggests reinstalling fountain at Lubyanka 18 February 2021, 15:30
- Suspected organizer of Jehovah's Witnesses cell in Russia's Kemerovo region placed under house arrest 17 February 2021, 14:11
- Police detain man who splashed Holocaust monument in Yerevan with paint 17 February 2021, 13:44
- The giant castle of corona cannibal to be burned in Russia on Maslenitsa 17 February 2021, 12:08
- Lawyers' association supports bill limiting surrogate motherhood in Russia 17 February 2021, 10:00
- FSB detain people suspected of financing ISIL under guise of donations to mosques in Crimea, Tatarstan 16 February 2021, 15:19
- World Union of Old Believers backs idea to place Ivan III monument on Moscow's Lubyanka Square 16 February 2021, 09:44
- Metropolitan Hilarion concerned by detention on non-participants in unsanctioned rallies 15 February 2021, 09:17
- Moscow court arrests 2 Jehovah's Witnesses 15 February 2021, 09:15
- Foreign Intelligence Service head compares those who insult WWII veterans to Nazi collaborators 12 February 2021, 11:53
- Congress of the Leaders of World and Traditional Religions in Kazakhstan postponed to next year 12 February 2021, 11:07
- Sputnik V vaccine halal - Gamaleya Center expert 12 February 2021, 10:03
- Court denies former schema hegumen Sergy right to participate in dispute over church on territory of Sredneuralsky Convent 10 February 2021, 20:39
- Several organizers of Jehovah's Witnesses cell detained in Moscow 10 February 2021, 11:43
- Resident of Russia's Dagestan jailed for 10 years for killing local rabbi 10 February 2021, 11:14
- Tajik authorities classify sentence of opposition Islamic party leader 09 February 2021, 17:35
- The International Day of Human Brotherhood celebrates in Russia for the first time 09 February 2021, 10:13
- Tolerance lessons have already been held for half a million schoolchildren in Russia 09 February 2021, 10:04