09 December 2020, 18:12
Tajikistan disagrees with its designation by U.S. for particular concern over religious freedom
Dushanbe, December 9, Interfax - The Tajik government's Committee on Religion and Regulation of Traditions, Celebrations, and Ceremonies has said that it is troubled by a statement issued by the United States Department of State, which has designated Tajikistan as a country of particular concern as regards religious freedom.
"The committee cannot agree with this statement of the Department of State that calls into question today's level of freedom of conscience and freedom of religion in Tajikistan. As it did on numerous occasions before, the committee again resolutely declares its unchanged position that such reports are not based on any real facts, but rely only on unofficial press," the Tajik committee said in a statement circulated on Wednesday.
The annual reports of the U.S. Department of State and the U.S. Commission on International Religious Freedom dealing with freedom of religion in Tajikistan are published almost without any editing and are practically the same year in, year out, it said. The committee has repeatedly invited a special mission to analyze the actual situation surrounding freedom of religion and to learn about the country's progress and shortcomings in this field.
"If one takes an impartial and just look at the situation, the Republic of Tajikistan has scored a number of achievements in the sphere of religion since it gained independence [after the Soviet breakup], and ignoring these achievements and including our country in the list of states where freedoms of religion and faith are violated is ultimately unjust," it said.
The committee reiterated its readiness to work together with organizations and institutions that specialize in evaluating countries' freedom of religion record.
U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said in a statement circulated by the Department of State on Tuesday that Tajikistan is among the ten countries named by the U.S. for particular concern over religious freedom.
- Website of Russian Dept for External Church Relations hacked 20 October 2021, 18:07
- The Internet is able to cross out everything that the school gives - Patriarch Kirill 20 October 2021, 10:04
- Five supporters of the caliphate were detained in Karachay-Cherkessia 20 October 2021, 10:00
- School student detained for shooting in Perm Territory shouted that he was guided by the 'God's instructions' 18 October 2021, 12:34
- Patriarch Kirill's meeting with Pope not under preparation yet - Metropolitan Hilarion 18 October 2021, 10:19
- Russian Church Bishops' Council postponed until May 2022 due to coronavirus 15 October 2021, 18:20
- Patriarch Kirill considered the preservation of Russia after the twists and turns of the 20th century a miracle 14 October 2021, 17:29
- War in Nagorno-Karabakh in fall 2020 didn't solve conflict - Catholicos of All Armenians 13 October 2021, 19:21
- Patriarch Kirill calls on Azerbaijan, Armenia to avoid language of hatred 13 October 2021, 19:19
- Patriarch Kirill hopes Armenia, Azerbaijan religious leaders can influence minds of conflicting parties in Karabakh 13 October 2021, 14:16
- Religious summit on Karabakh settlement is on in Moscow 13 October 2021, 13:57
- Taliban govt's recognition to depend on situation surrounding Afghan women's rights – Matviyenko 12 October 2021, 19:22
- Vatican to open embassy in Armenia 12 October 2021, 10:00
- Religious leaders of Armenia, Azerbaijan, Russia to meet in Moscow 11 October 2021, 12:39
- Rabbi Lazar wishes Putin to live up to 120 years 08 October 2021, 15:10
- Court in St. Petersburg fines man for justifying terror attack in New Zealand 08 October 2021, 14:54
- Catholicos-Patriarch of Georgia asks Saakashvili to stop hunger strike 07 October 2021, 19:17
- Twice as many people killed in Babi Yar massacre than named at Nuremberg Trials – Zelensky 07 October 2021, 10:44
- House of Romanov says military's attendance at wedding ceremony in St. Petersburg agreed upon 07 October 2021, 10:00
- Risks of creation of new terrorist caliphates declining worldwide - Russian Security Council 06 October 2021, 18:27
- Office of Iranian Supreme Leader's representative in Baku mosque closed 06 October 2021, 12:21
- Names of first 159 Nazi soldiers who killed Jews in Babi Yar in 1941 made public 06 October 2021, 12:10
- A cell of the caliphate's supporters has been liquidated in Moscow and the Moscow Region 04 October 2021, 10:20
- America's L. Ron Hubbard Library, WISE Int. added to Russian register of undesirable organizations 04 October 2021, 10:16
- Romanov, Bettarini tie knot at St. Isaac's Cathedral 01 October 2021, 19:19
- Putin not planning to attend wedding of heir to Romanovs – Peskov 01 October 2021, 15:23
- Jewish Film Festival in Moscow dedicated to the 80th anniversary of the beginning of the Babi Yar shootings 01 October 2021, 09:03
- A blogger who took a provocative photo at St. Basil's Cathedral detained in Moscow 01 October 2021, 08:53
- Investigators charge former Ural schema-hegumen with fanning hatred 30 September 2021, 10:32
- Belarus intends to hold separate referendum on death penalty 28 September 2021, 20:09