11 December 2020, 19:53
Putin not ruling out decriminalizing isolated calls for extremism
Moscow, December 11, Interfax - Russian President Vladimir Putin has not ruled out abolishing the prosecution for an isolated instance of inciting extremism, but said that he had yet to form a definitive opinion about the matter.
The proposal to change legislation to downgrade such calls to an administrative offense came at yesterday's meeting between the president and his council for human rights. Repeat calls would remain a criminal offense, the proponent said.
The meeting was partly broadcast on television on Thursday; the transcript was published on the Kremlin's website on Friday.
"It's possible. I am not ruling it out. It's just that right now I cannot tell you finally my opinion about this issue," Putin said, while noting the danger of extremist exhortations.
"Calling for extremism in a multicultural state is a very serious, very dangerous thing, I am not even saying that whatever concerns extremism is directly related to terrorism," Putin said.
He promised to "look closely" at the issue.
"I promise you we will [look at the issue]. What the outcome will be, I don't know yet," Putin said.
- Bashkortostan may become special administrative district as optimal system for Islamic financing model 07 July 2022, 10:00
- Chief Rabbi of Moscow Pinchas Goldschmidt has left his post 06 July 2022, 21:29
- Russian Hajj participants will pray for success of the special operation in Ukraine 06 July 2022, 12:50
- No substantive contacts on possible Putin-Pontiff meeting – Kremlin 06 July 2022, 12:45
- Sochnut program director denies reports of cessation of operations of Russian branch of Jewish Agency for Israel 06 July 2022, 10:01
- Russian Church receives the first state certificate of registration in Africa 04 July 2022, 20:44
- Patriarch Kirill thinks no one can reformat Russia 04 July 2022, 17:11
- Mufti Tajuddin believes that no problem in the world can be solved without Russia 04 July 2022, 14:25
- Almost 20 people held during anti-LGBT protest in Tbilisi 04 July 2022, 10:02
- Ukrainian hackers attack website of Russian Orthodox Church's external relations dept 01 July 2022, 14:40
- Federal Penitentiary Service, which used to carry out death penalty, opposes its reintroduction 30 June 2022, 21:37
- Lavrov thanks the Jewish Museum of Moscow for carefully preserving the memory of important pages of history 30 June 2022, 11:37
- Founder of Jehovah's Witnesses cell in Krasnoyarsk jailed for 6 years 27 June 2022, 19:42
- Izyum Diocese in Ukraine's Kharkov Region refuses to be independent of Russian Orthodox Church 27 June 2022, 16:19
- Borrell regrets Patriarch Kirill left off EU list of sanctioned individuals 27 June 2022, 16:16
- Patriarch Kirill calls for dismissing doubt about rightness of Russian way 27 June 2022, 11:04
- Ukrainian govt refuses to cancel lease with Ukrainian Orthodox Church 24 June 2022, 19:51
- Patriarch Kirill visits Russian servicemen injured during special operation in Ukraine 21 June 2022, 21:24
- Russia to hold 'Candle of Memory' vigil on eve of war's anniversary 21 June 2022, 20:06
- Jerusalem Patriarchate condemns Western rhetoric against Patriarch Kirill 21 June 2022, 19:02
- The image of the Virgin appeared on the door of Russian military hospital 21 June 2022, 18:01
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church asks EU diplomats for protection 16 June 2022, 19:46
- Russian Orthodox Church describes sanctions against Patriarch Kirill as absurd, pointless 16 June 2022, 14:47
- UK imposes sanctions on Patriarch Kirill 16 June 2022, 13:54
- LGBT pride parade won't be allowed in Chisinau - city mayor 14 June 2022, 10:00
- All-Tatar Public Center designated as extremist organization, banned 10 June 2022, 14:19
- Russian Orthodox Church concerned about prospects of ban on marches near clinics, religious sites 10 June 2022, 14:17
- Rallies, demonstrations to be prohibited near religious buildings in Russia 09 June 2022, 16:39
- Over half of Russians favor restrictions on migrants' entry into country - senior Kremlin official 09 June 2022, 15:28
- Draft bill stipulating fines up to 10 mln rubles for propaganda of non-traditional sexual relations submitted to State Duma 07 June 2022, 21:10