02 February 2021, 20:36
Yakutsk City Court upholds motion for shaman Gabyshev's commitment to psychiatric hospital
Yakutsk, February 2, Interfax - The Yakutsk City Court has upheld the motion of the Yakutia Republic's Psychiatric Outpatient Clinic for committing shaman Alexander Gabyshev to the hospital for a second time.
"The clinic's motion has been upheld. We will challenge the order in the Yakutia Supreme Court," coordinator of the Pravozashchita Oktrytki human rights organization Alexey Pryanishnikov said.
The clinic explained the motion with the fact that Gabyshev "had again started making loud statements in the media."
According to Pryanishnikov, the defense attached to the case materials the conclusion of an independent psychiatrist, who said Gabyshev did not require hospitalization.
"There was a request for the specialist to be questioned in court, so that he could explain his conclusion. We also asked for a delay of the hearing to give the specialist more time to arrive in Yakutsk. But the court turned down the application," Pryanishnikov said.
It was reported on January 27, with reference to Pravozashchita Oktrytki, that Yakutsk police officers had brought Gabyshev to the clinic.
The clinic confirmed Gabyshev's commitment and said he had been stable and had stayed on his meds since he was discharged in July. However, Gabyshev told his doctor in mid-December 2020 that he refused further treatment and did not keep his appointment in January.
Gabyshev said in early 2021 that his new "march to Moscow" would begin in March.
Gabyshev began an 8,000-kilometer journey to Moscow in March 2019, in order to "drive away" the president and "restore the people's power." The trek was meant to last two years.
In the fall of 2019, a criminal case based on public calls for extremism was opened against Gabyshev. He was detained several times and eventually ended his journey.
A state examination found Gabyshev insane. On May 12, 2020, he was forcibly taken to a mental health clinic. He stayed there until July 22.
- Patriarch Kirill grants request to retire of Metropolitan Juvenaly 14 April 2021, 18:12
- Influx of migrants contributing to emergence of hotbeds of interfaith tensions in Crimea - Patrushev 14 April 2021, 17:25
- Jehovah's Witnesses cell busted in Russia's Tula 14 April 2021, 12:21
- Yekaterinburg Diocese says nuns, lay sisters from closed Sredneuralsky Convent may choose any of its convents 14 April 2021, 10:51
- Nuns leaving Sredneuralsky Convent, diocese reps sealing off premises 14 April 2021, 10:46
- Court orders residents of Sredneuralsky Convent to leave its premises 14 April 2021, 10:40
- Russian FM speaks of important global role of Russian Orthodox Church, supports its initiatives 08 April 2021, 18:02
- Court of appeals declines to soften sentence given to leader of Aum Shinrikyo's Russian cell 08 April 2021, 10:00
- Russian man charged with organizing erotic photo shoot in UAE facing at least 6 months in prison 05 April 2021, 18:16
- Moscow court keeps former Urals schema monk Sergy in custody 05 April 2021, 17:55
- Presumed supporter of Ukrainian nationalists detained in Barnaul confesses to plotting to blow up mosque – FSB 02 April 2021, 17:53
- The FJCR official calls "the oldest manuscript" of Torah a fake 02 April 2021, 10:00
- St. Petersburg court bans mobile app of Jehovah's Witnesses in Russia 01 April 2021, 10:00
- Serial destroyer of angel sculptures detained in St. Petersburg 31 March 2021, 13:31
- Abortions in Russia dropped almost 40% over past 5 years 31 March 2021, 10:00
- Putin pledges to prevent foreign interethnic conflicts from spilling over into Russia 30 March 2021, 16:01
- Polarized opinions on acceptability of in vitro fertilization observed in Russian Orthodox Church 30 March 2021, 10:00
- Russian Jews launch a project Be free through vaccination 26 March 2021, 11:28
- Patriarch Kirill stresses importance of ensuring life without upheavals at memorial service on 220th anniversary of Emperor Pavel I's murder 25 March 2021, 10:00
- Jewish publishing house refuses to participate in a book fair as it falls on Passover 23 March 2021, 18:53
- Islamic radicals intensifying activity in Urals due to uncontrolled immigration - Patrushev 23 March 2021, 17:51
- Security Council secretary calls West's aspiration to push its norms, ideals, reforms on Russia dangerous 23 March 2021, 17:13
- A Muslim woman from the Moscow Region searches for a second wife for her husband 22 March 2021, 16:45
- Pashinyan believes revolution in Armenia was based on Christian values 22 March 2021, 13:55
- FBK lawyer Sobol attends church service in violation of conditions of her house arrest 22 March 2021, 10:00
- Yakut shaman Gabyshev found insane 19 March 2021, 13:57
- Memorial to Holocaust victims unveiled at Israeli embassy in Moscow 18 March 2021, 09:31
- Resident of St. Petersburg beats a muscovite to death as he took him for devilry 16 March 2021, 18:55
- Moscow Jewish museum organizes an exhibition about the Holocaust in PACE 16 March 2021, 14:28
- One in 8 Russians plan to observe Lent this year - poll 16 March 2021, 10:00