01 March 2021, 14:19
Kremlin not commenting on end of discussion about monument on Lubyanskaya Square - Peskov
Moscow, March 1, Interfax - The Kremlin did not comment on the discussion of the installation of a monument on Moscow's Lubyanskaya Square and has no intention of commenting on its end, Russian presidential press secretary Dmitry Peskov told reporters.
"We did not comment on the start of the discussion and we will not comment on the end of the discussion," Peskov told reporters in regard of the decision made by Moscow Mayor Sergey Sobyanin to cancel the vote selecting a monument for Lubyanskaya Square.
Sobyanin said on Friday a monument would not be installed on Moscow's Lubyanskaya Square as public opinion was divided approximately evenly and such decisions require the consent of more people. Street monuments "should unite society, not divide it," he said.
The vote choosing the monument to be installed on Lubyanskaya Square opened on the Active Citizen platform on Thursday. Muscovites were offered to choose between two monuments: a monument to Felix Dzerzhinsky and a monument to Alexander Nevsky.
The vote was initiated by the Moscow Public Chamber and the decision on it was made at the chamber's meeting on February 19.
The issue of the use of the territory in the center of Lubyanskaya Square has been discussed for many years now. In particular, Communists have repeatedly called for the monument to Felix Dzerzhinsky to be reinstalled on the square. Such a request to the mayor's office was earlier signed by writers Zakhar Prilepin and Alexander Prokhanov, and also some other public figures. Some 30 historians, publicists and public figures later asked Sobyanin to install a monument to Price Ivan III on Lubyanskaya Square. There were also initiatives to install monuments to Alexander Nevsky and Yury Andropov, and to build a chapel in honor of holy Christian martyr Felix there.
The monument to Dzerzhinsky was dismantled in 1991 after the August putsch failed. The monument, which was made according to a project of sculptor Yevgeny Vuchetich and architect Grigory Zakharov, was transferred to Muzeon Park.
- Patriarch Kirill grants request to retire of Metropolitan Juvenaly 14 April 2021, 18:12
- Influx of migrants contributing to emergence of hotbeds of interfaith tensions in Crimea - Patrushev 14 April 2021, 17:25
- Jehovah's Witnesses cell busted in Russia's Tula 14 April 2021, 12:21
- Yekaterinburg Diocese says nuns, lay sisters from closed Sredneuralsky Convent may choose any of its convents 14 April 2021, 10:51
- Nuns leaving Sredneuralsky Convent, diocese reps sealing off premises 14 April 2021, 10:46
- Court orders residents of Sredneuralsky Convent to leave its premises 14 April 2021, 10:40
- Russian FM speaks of important global role of Russian Orthodox Church, supports its initiatives 08 April 2021, 18:02
- Court of appeals declines to soften sentence given to leader of Aum Shinrikyo's Russian cell 08 April 2021, 10:00
- Russian man charged with organizing erotic photo shoot in UAE facing at least 6 months in prison 05 April 2021, 18:16
- Moscow court keeps former Urals schema monk Sergy in custody 05 April 2021, 17:55
- Presumed supporter of Ukrainian nationalists detained in Barnaul confesses to plotting to blow up mosque – FSB 02 April 2021, 17:53
- The FJCR official calls "the oldest manuscript" of Torah a fake 02 April 2021, 10:00
- St. Petersburg court bans mobile app of Jehovah's Witnesses in Russia 01 April 2021, 10:00
- Serial destroyer of angel sculptures detained in St. Petersburg 31 March 2021, 13:31
- Abortions in Russia dropped almost 40% over past 5 years 31 March 2021, 10:00
- Putin pledges to prevent foreign interethnic conflicts from spilling over into Russia 30 March 2021, 16:01
- Polarized opinions on acceptability of in vitro fertilization observed in Russian Orthodox Church 30 March 2021, 10:00
- Russian Jews launch a project Be free through vaccination 26 March 2021, 11:28
- Patriarch Kirill stresses importance of ensuring life without upheavals at memorial service on 220th anniversary of Emperor Pavel I's murder 25 March 2021, 10:00
- Jewish publishing house refuses to participate in a book fair as it falls on Passover 23 March 2021, 18:53
- Islamic radicals intensifying activity in Urals due to uncontrolled immigration - Patrushev 23 March 2021, 17:51
- Security Council secretary calls West's aspiration to push its norms, ideals, reforms on Russia dangerous 23 March 2021, 17:13
- A Muslim woman from the Moscow Region searches for a second wife for her husband 22 March 2021, 16:45
- Pashinyan believes revolution in Armenia was based on Christian values 22 March 2021, 13:55
- FBK lawyer Sobol attends church service in violation of conditions of her house arrest 22 March 2021, 10:00
- Yakut shaman Gabyshev found insane 19 March 2021, 13:57
- Memorial to Holocaust victims unveiled at Israeli embassy in Moscow 18 March 2021, 09:31
- Resident of St. Petersburg beats a muscovite to death as he took him for devilry 16 March 2021, 18:55
- Moscow Jewish museum organizes an exhibition about the Holocaust in PACE 16 March 2021, 14:28
- One in 8 Russians plan to observe Lent this year - poll 16 March 2021, 10:00