02 July 2021, 10:06
Radicals in Tbilisi protest against LGBT events
Tbilisi, July 2, Interfax - Police in Tbilisi have detained three people protesting against the private demonstration of a documentary for members of the Georgian LGBT community and some non-governmental human rights organizations at a local movie theater.
The protesters attempted to block entrances to the movie theater to bar the invited guests from entering it, but over a hundred police officers curbed their actions. The police escorted the LGBT participants to the theater while the protesters were pelting them with eggs and plastic bottles.
Georgian Patrol Police Chief Vaja Siradze told journalists that all offenders would be detained.
"We perfectly understand that both LGBT members and participants in a counter-demonstration have the right to expression, but everything must comply with the law," Siradze said.
Earlier on Thursday, members of the diplomatic corps accredited in Georgia called on the local authorities to provide security to members of the LGBT community holding their events.
Georgian President Salome Zourabichvili told journalists that she viewed any forms of violence and threats as unacceptable.
"I believe everyone has the right to freedom of expression. This tolerance is our immanent quality and part of our identity. The Tbilisi Pride participants have the right to express their opinion, which is a constitutional right of everyone, in line with the norms stipulated by the constitution and the law. This is important for our country and our unity," Zourabichvili said.
The organization Tbilisi Pride comprising LGBT members and some non-governmental organizations started a weeklong campaign for their rights on July 1. They intend to organize a procession in the center of Tbilisi on July 5.
- Russian Orthodox Church considering accepting Alexandria clergy who don't want to recognize Ukrainian schism 24 September 2021, 17:40
- Patriarch of Constantinople who visited Kiev has no right to speak on behalf of Orthodox world - Russian Church 24 September 2021, 17:24
- Russian Prosecutor General's Office designates two Scientology organizations undesirable 24 September 2021, 16:58
- Five Jehovah's Witnesses convicted in Russia's Volgograd Region 24 September 2021, 10:10
- Court dismisses appeal against forcible treatment of Yakutia shaman Gabyshev 23 September 2021, 15:22
- FJCR calls on Ukrainian authorities to expand definition of anti-Semitism 23 September 2021, 15:18
- Krasny Pakhar Jamaat added to Russian list of terrorist groups 22 September 2021, 16:29
- Ukraine adopts law on fight against anti-Semitism 22 September 2021, 13:38
- Afghanistan must form inclusive govt - SCO summit declaration 17 September 2021, 17:12
- Patriarch Kirill doubts legitimacy of authority of Patriarch Bartholomew of Constantinople 16 September 2021, 16:38
- Jehovah's Witness jailed for 3 years in Kostroma 08 September 2021, 10:00
- Jehovah's Witness from Pskov Region gets suspended sentence 08 September 2021, 10:00
- Putin notes contribution of Jewish religious organizations to interethnic peace, accord 06 September 2021, 14:26
- Metropolitan Hilarion compared Patriarch Bartholomew to a robber and a thief 06 September 2021, 10:52
- Russian Church concerned about the fate of Christians in Afghanistan 06 September 2021, 10:43
- Supporters of radical Islam held in Tula 06 September 2021, 10:36
- Defrocked priest Sergy's supporter remanded in custody – court 02 September 2021, 18:13
- More than 5.5 thousand clerics and monks of the Russian Orthodox Church in Russia have been ill with coronavirus 02 September 2021, 14:36
- More than 2.5 million people have visited the Jewish Museum in Moscow during its nine years of operation 02 September 2021, 14:31
- Lithuanian president promises not to allow LGBT history to be taught in schools 02 September 2021, 14:25
- Associate of former schema-hegumen Sergy detained in hatred fanning case 01 September 2021, 15:26
- Complaints about threats from Male State community should be processed by law enforcement agencies - Peskov 31 August 2021, 14:57
- Taliban to present themselves as less radical to get investments – expert 31 August 2021, 13:45
- Russian Justice Ministry adds 4 Ukrainian and Latvian religious movements to list of groups undesirable in Russia 30 August 2021, 18:12
- The church historian called the results of Patriarch Bartholomew's visit to Ukraine deplorable 30 August 2021, 16:04
- More than 500 Orthodox churches to be built in Moscow 30 August 2021, 11:07
- Russian authorities to check the construction of a closed "halal" village near Moscow 30 August 2021, 10:49
- Patriarch Kirill calls the visit of the Constantinople primate to Kiev sinful 30 August 2021, 10:40
- Organizers of Jehovah's Witnesses cell detained in Moscow 26 August 2021, 15:55
- Patriarch Bartholomew doesn't attend celebrations on 30th anniversary of Ukraine's independence at Kiev's St. Sophia Cathedral 24 August 2021, 17:51