23 September 2021, 15:18
FJCR calls on Ukrainian authorities to expand definition of anti-Semitism
Moscow, September 23, Interfax - The definition of anti-Semitism contained in the law adopted by Ukraine's Verkhovna Rada on September 22 is incomplete, the Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia (FJCR) said.
"There is no doubt that the appearance and approval of a bill on countering anti-Semitism is a positive thing. Regardless of whether there are tendencies in the country's society towards a fight against extremism or not, any illegal actions, from offenses to crimes, need to be regulated by law," FJCR President Alexander Boroda told Interfax on Thursday.
Meanwhile, he said there is still no understanding of anti-Semitism as a clear term recognized by all countries.
The new Ukrainian law classes as acts of anti-Semitism calls for, justification of and the infliction of harm on Jews based on ethnic origin. It classes as extremism hate speech and Holocaust denial and prohibits public use of materials with anti-Semitic content.
"However, situations are widespread when former Nazi assistants are called national heroes. Shouldn't such statements also be classed as extremist and anti-Semitic?" Rabbi Boroda said.
He also said the new Ukrainian law classes desecration of memorial symbols devoted to Jews as anti-Semitism. However, the rabbi said "memory is also kept in the form of intangible spiritual values, which also need to be protected, and glorification of historical personalities who were directly involved in pogroms and genocide distorts the moral evaluation of historical events and insults the memory of Holocaust victims."
- Website of Russian Dept for External Church Relations hacked 20 October 2021, 18:07
- The Internet is able to cross out everything that the school gives - Patriarch Kirill 20 October 2021, 10:04
- Five supporters of the caliphate were detained in Karachay-Cherkessia 20 October 2021, 10:00
- School student detained for shooting in Perm Territory shouted that he was guided by the 'God's instructions' 18 October 2021, 12:34
- Patriarch Kirill's meeting with Pope not under preparation yet - Metropolitan Hilarion 18 October 2021, 10:19
- Russian Church Bishops' Council postponed until May 2022 due to coronavirus 15 October 2021, 18:20
- Patriarch Kirill considered the preservation of Russia after the twists and turns of the 20th century a miracle 14 October 2021, 17:29
- War in Nagorno-Karabakh in fall 2020 didn't solve conflict - Catholicos of All Armenians 13 October 2021, 19:21
- Patriarch Kirill calls on Azerbaijan, Armenia to avoid language of hatred 13 October 2021, 19:19
- Patriarch Kirill hopes Armenia, Azerbaijan religious leaders can influence minds of conflicting parties in Karabakh 13 October 2021, 14:16
- Religious summit on Karabakh settlement is on in Moscow 13 October 2021, 13:57
- Taliban govt's recognition to depend on situation surrounding Afghan women's rights – Matviyenko 12 October 2021, 19:22
- Vatican to open embassy in Armenia 12 October 2021, 10:00
- Religious leaders of Armenia, Azerbaijan, Russia to meet in Moscow 11 October 2021, 12:39
- Rabbi Lazar wishes Putin to live up to 120 years 08 October 2021, 15:10
- Court in St. Petersburg fines man for justifying terror attack in New Zealand 08 October 2021, 14:54
- Catholicos-Patriarch of Georgia asks Saakashvili to stop hunger strike 07 October 2021, 19:17
- Twice as many people killed in Babi Yar massacre than named at Nuremberg Trials – Zelensky 07 October 2021, 10:44
- House of Romanov says military's attendance at wedding ceremony in St. Petersburg agreed upon 07 October 2021, 10:00
- Risks of creation of new terrorist caliphates declining worldwide - Russian Security Council 06 October 2021, 18:27
- Office of Iranian Supreme Leader's representative in Baku mosque closed 06 October 2021, 12:21
- Names of first 159 Nazi soldiers who killed Jews in Babi Yar in 1941 made public 06 October 2021, 12:10
- A cell of the caliphate's supporters has been liquidated in Moscow and the Moscow Region 04 October 2021, 10:20
- America's L. Ron Hubbard Library, WISE Int. added to Russian register of undesirable organizations 04 October 2021, 10:16
- Romanov, Bettarini tie knot at St. Isaac's Cathedral 01 October 2021, 19:19
- Putin not planning to attend wedding of heir to Romanovs – Peskov 01 October 2021, 15:23
- Jewish Film Festival in Moscow dedicated to the 80th anniversary of the beginning of the Babi Yar shootings 01 October 2021, 09:03
- A blogger who took a provocative photo at St. Basil's Cathedral detained in Moscow 01 October 2021, 08:53
- Investigators charge former Ural schema-hegumen with fanning hatred 30 September 2021, 10:32
- Belarus intends to hold separate referendum on death penalty 28 September 2021, 20:09