24 September 2021, 17:24
Patriarch of Constantinople who visited Kiev has no right to speak on behalf of Orthodox world - Russian Church
Moscow, September 24, Interfax - The Holy Synod of the Russian Orthodox Church has condemned the recent visit by Patriarch Bartholomew of Constantinople to Kiev.
"The arrival in Kiev by Patriarch Bartholomew and the people accompanying him without an invitation from the Patriarch of Moscow and All Russia, Metropolitan Onufry of Kiev and All Ukraine and the lawful hierarchs of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church is recognized as a major violation of the canons," according to the journals of the Synod session, which ended in Moscow on Friday.
The session participants said the visit by Patriarch Bartholomew, "which exposes his dependence on forces that are external to the Church" is "purely political" and condemned the continuing "anti-canonical actions" by the Constantinople patriarch, which are aimed at destroying the unity of Orthodoxy.
The administration of the Russian Orthodox Church believes that Patriarch Bartholomew lost the trust of millions of believers by supporting the schism in Ukraine. "In a situation where a majority of the world's Orthodox Christians do not have church communion with him, he no longer has the right to speak on behalf of all global Orthodoxy and present himself as its leader," the Synod said in a final document.
The Synod of the Russian Orthodox Church confirmed the adherence of the Moscow Patriarchate to the norms of canonical law and the universally recognized principles of inter-Orthodox cooperation, its openness to all-Orthodox discussions on the current situation in the world's Orthodoxy and emphasized that the responsibility for undermining the unity of the Orthodox Church rests wholly with Patriarch Bartholomew.
In closing, the Synod of the Moscow Patriarchate expressed support to Metropolitan Onufry of Kiev and All Ukraine, the archpriests, priests and the entire canonical Ukrainian church.
According to earlier reports, Patriarch Bartholomew visited Kiev on August 20-24 at the invitation of the secular administration of Ukraine on the occasion of the 30th anniversary of the country's independence.
- The Synod of Ukrainian Orthodox Church asks Zelensky to put an end to her oppression 12 May 2022, 17:27
- Jehovah's Witnesses member in Nizhny Novgorod given 6-year suspended sentence 12 May 2022, 11:23
- Sanctions against Patriarch Kirill will not affect his activities in any way – Russian Church 10 May 2022, 15:28
- Patriarch Kirill describes Russia as self-sufficient country which doesn't want to harm anyone 08 May 2022, 17:15
- Patriarch Kirill calls on believers to pray for Russia to be protected from external, internal enemies 06 May 2022, 14:26
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church says bans on its activities imposed by local authorities have no legal force 06 May 2022, 12:06
- Russia to hold consultations with Hamas on situation around Al-Aqsa 05 May 2022, 11:21
- Patriarch Kirill can't be scared with sanctions - Russian Orthodox Church 04 May 2022, 16:01
- Pope Francis' recount of conversation with Patriarch Kirill incorrect - Russian Orthodox Church 04 May 2022, 15:38
- Russian Orthodox Church asks to use its potential in opening humanitarian corridors in special operation zone 04 May 2022, 14:47
- No agreement on Putin's meeting with Pontiff – Peskov 04 May 2022, 14:10
- Russia never attacked anyone, always protected its borders - Patriarch Kirill 04 May 2022, 12:10
- Russian Orthodox Church indicates interest in achievement of lasting peace in Ukraine 29 April 2022, 16:44
- The Russian Church' speaker calls the "culture of cancellation" a self-reprimand of civilization 29 April 2022, 12:46
- The Russian Foreign Ministry advised Washington to take care of religious freedoms in the United States 29 April 2022, 12:39
- Serbian patriarch assures Patriarch Kirill of support of Russian Orthodox Church amid Ukraine crisis 27 April 2022, 22:26
- The Russian Security Council paid tribute to Christian leaders who disagree with the Russophobia of the "collective West" 27 April 2022, 15:40
- Belarusian MPs approve imposition of death penalty for terrorism 27 April 2022, 13:53
- The ISS crew showed Patriarch Kirill a cake floating in zero gravity 27 April 2022, 11:18
- Patrushev advocated the reform of education in the Russia with an emphasis on the development of intelligence and spirituality 27 April 2022, 10:59
- Patrushev pointed out the special role of Russia in shaping the geopolitical and moral climate in the world 27 April 2022, 10:32
- Twenty-eight terror attacks prevented in Russia in 2021 - prosecutor general 26 April 2022, 13:50
- Patriarch Kirill urges Russians to stand up to protect national independence 25 April 2022, 17:48
- Russian Orthodox Church views idea to impose sanctions on Patriarch Kirill as rejection of common sense 24 April 2022, 16:51
- Meeting between Patriarch Kirill, Pope Francis postponed due to events of recent months - Russian Church 22 April 2022, 14:17
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church proposes evacuating civilians, casualties from Mariupol 21 April 2022, 17:08
- About 30% of Russian women of reproductive age want to have at least 3 children – poll 21 April 2022, 15:53
- Russian Orthodox Church trusted by two-thirds of Russians – poll 21 April 2022, 10:00
- Over 60% of Russians identify themselves as Orthodox, 23% say they are atheists 20 April 2022, 10:00
- Kremlin expects Israeli authorities to help resolve Alexander Metochion situation 19 April 2022, 16:02