24 September 2021, 17:40
Russian Orthodox Church considering accepting Alexandria clergy who don't want to recognize Ukrainian schism
Moscow, September 24, Interfax - The Russian Orthodox Church will consider accepting the clergy of the Church of Alexandria who disagree with the decision of their chairman to recognize the non-canonical church of Ukraine.
"Taking into account the numerous appeals by the clergy of the Orthodox Church of Alexandria to His Holiness Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia to take them under the omophorion of the Moscow Patriarchate, His Holiness Archbishop Leonid of Vladikavkaz and Alania is ordered to present proposals to the Holy Synod after thoroughly studying these appeals," according to the final documents of the Synod, which met in Moscow this week.
Metropolitan Leonid who is also deputy head of the Department for External Church Relations of the Moscow Patriarchate said in November 2020 the number of Alexandria clergy who wished to come under the omophorion of the Russian Orthodox Church was "in the hundreds."
The reason why the issue was raised with the Synod of the Russian Orthodox Church is the co-service by Patriarch Theodore of Alexandria with Yepifaniy Dumenko, the head of the non-canonical church of Ukraine, on Turkey's Imbros Island on August 13.
The Synod said the co-service by Patriarch Theodore II with "the head of the schismatic structure operating in Ukraine" will deepen the division between the Russian and Alexandria Churches.
The patriarch of Alexandria is "second in honor" after the patriarch of Constantinople among the heads of the world's local Orthodox Churches. He studied at the Odessa University in his youth and was locum of the Alexandria metochion in Odessa in 1985-1990. He was known for a long time as one of the main defenders of canonical Orthodoxy in Ukraine.
In 2018, after the patriarch of Constantinople recognized the Ukrainian schism, Theodore II paid a visit to Odessa to express his solidarity with the country's canonical Church and pledged his support on the international level. However, he still recognized the non-canonical church of Ukraine a year later. Many priests of the Alexandria Patriarchate disagreed with that.
- Ukrainian govt refuses to cancel lease with Ukrainian Orthodox Church 24 June 2022, 19:51
- Patriarch Kirill visits Russian servicemen injured during special operation in Ukraine 21 June 2022, 21:24
- Russia to hold 'Candle of Memory' vigil on eve of war's anniversary 21 June 2022, 20:06
- Jerusalem Patriarchate condemns Western rhetoric against Patriarch Kirill 21 June 2022, 19:02
- The image of the Virgin appeared on the door of Russian military hospital 21 June 2022, 18:01
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church asks EU diplomats for protection 16 June 2022, 19:46
- Russian Orthodox Church describes sanctions against Patriarch Kirill as absurd, pointless 16 June 2022, 14:47
- UK imposes sanctions on Patriarch Kirill 16 June 2022, 13:54
- LGBT pride parade won't be allowed in Chisinau - city mayor 14 June 2022, 10:00
- All-Tatar Public Center designated as extremist organization, banned 10 June 2022, 14:19
- Russian Orthodox Church concerned about prospects of ban on marches near clinics, religious sites 10 June 2022, 14:17
- Rallies, demonstrations to be prohibited near religious buildings in Russia 09 June 2022, 16:39
- Over half of Russians favor restrictions on migrants' entry into country - senior Kremlin official 09 June 2022, 15:28
- Draft bill stipulating fines up to 10 mln rubles for propaganda of non-traditional sexual relations submitted to State Duma 07 June 2022, 21:10
- Russian court gives four Jehovah's Witnesses real jail time, suspended sentences in Trans-Baikal Territory 07 June 2022, 19:29
- Russian army averted damage to Sviatogorsk Lavra's historical and Orthodox monuments 07 June 2022, 15:28
- Metropolitan Hilarion relieved of duties as Moscow Patriarchate's external relations dept chairman 07 June 2022, 15:03
- Only Local Council can change status of Ukrainian Orthodox Church - Moscow Synod 07 June 2022, 15:01
- Crimean bishoprics directly subordinated to Patriarch Kirill 07 June 2022, 14:21
- Patriarch Kirill calls Belarus a truly sovereign state 06 June 2022, 12:52
- Process of transfer of Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem to Russia to be completed in foreseeable future - Russian FM 03 June 2022, 19:51
- Friendship of Slavic peoples to stand test of time - Patriarch Kirill 02 June 2022, 10:00
- Lavrov, OIC secretary general discuss causes of escalation in int'l relations 01 June 2022, 10:00
- Borrell's remarks on Russian patriarch give Kiev 'sanction' to persecute canonical Church – Moscow Patriarchate 31 May 2022, 18:21
- Another Donbass diocese disagrees with UOC decision to proclaim independence 31 May 2022, 17:50
- Chisinau mayor says won't allow LGBT pride parade to happen 31 May 2022, 17:22
- Ukrainian Verkhovna Rada votes for sanctions on Patriarch Kirill 31 May 2022, 15:46
- Russian Church compares Borrel with the jackal Tabaki from Mowgli 31 May 2022, 14:12
- Zakharova on plans to impose sanctions against the patriarch: no one submits notes about the health of EU 31 May 2022, 13:14
- Russia has immunity against any military adventurism - Patriarch Kirill 30 May 2022, 20:54