18 November 2021, 16:45
Jehovah's Witnesses elders detained in Russia's Astrakhan Region
Astrakhan, November 18, Interfax - A criminal case on charges of extremism has been opened against three residents of the Astrakhan region who have been detained on suspicion of arranging the activities of the Jehovah's Witnesses, banned in Russia, the Russian Investigative Committee's regional branch told Interfax on Thursday.
"A criminal case has been opened against three local residents aged between 34 and 60 who are suspected of arranging the activities of an extremist organization, Part 1 of Article 282.2 of the Russian Criminal Code. They have been detained," it said.
Investigators believe that since the spring of 2018, the suspects have been elders and de facto leaders of the Jehovah's Witnesses religious organization in the Akhtubinsk District and in Znamensk in the Astrakhan Region. It has been established that they held meetings of the organization despite being aware of the Russian Supreme Court's ban on the organization's activities.
"The suspects promoted the ideas of this religious movement, distributed extremist literature, recruited local residents, and raised money under the guise of donations. They communicated by video link in order to keep their activities secret," it said.
Their activities were uncovered by officers of the Russian Federal Security Service's border guard department for Kalmykia and the Astrakhan Region.
Sixteen searches were conducted during the investigation. Mobile phones, computers, extremist literature, notebooks, and other items with information about their unlawful activities were seized from the suspects' places of residence.
The Russian Supreme Court granted the Justice Ministry's lawsuit designating the Russian Jehovah's Witnesses an extremist organization and banning its activities in Russia in April 2017.
- Lawyers for defrocked priest Sergy to appeal conviction 30 November 2021, 18:13
- Former schema-hegumen Sergy sentenced to 3.5 years in prison (updated) 30 November 2021, 17:16
- Patriarch Kirill believes that the Kingdom of Heaven is bigger than cosmos 30 November 2021, 11:18
- Jews of Russia against celebrating Hanukkah together with Christmas in mixed families 30 November 2021, 11:12
- The anti-Covid restrictions on Hanukkah in Russia have been slightly relaxed 30 November 2021, 11:02
- Hermitage cat Seraphima goes to work in the Peter and Paul Cathedral 30 November 2021, 10:48
- Patriarch Kirill invited to Kazakhstan to Congress of Leaders of World and Traditional Religions 26 November 2021, 16:18
- Some "missionaries" of an extremist organization banned in the Russia convicted in Saratov 26 November 2021, 16:14
- The head of Belarusian Orthodox Church urged to treat migrants as "aliens" 24 November 2021, 15:39
- Rabbi Lazar concerned that the pandemic sometimes considered a Jewish conspiracy 24 November 2021, 15:33
- Patriarch Kirill describes ecclesiastical split in Ukraine as his personal woe 22 November 2021, 19:33
- Covid-19 pandemic won't last long, but will allow humanity to critically assess its capabilities - Patriarch Kirill 22 November 2021, 16:52
- Patriarch Kirill views Russia as leader of free world 22 November 2021, 16:35
- Russian Orthodox Church denies U.S. claims of violations of religious freedom in Russia 22 November 2021, 11:05
- Problem of church schism in Ukraine may be resolved through dialogue - Patriarch Kirill 22 November 2021, 11:02
- Putin bestows Order of St. Andrew on Patriarch Kirill, notes highest regard to him in Russia, abroad 22 November 2021, 10:54
- Jehovah's Witnesses elders detained in Russia's Astrakhan Region 18 November 2021, 16:45
- Court in Moscow fines Muz-TV 1 mln rubles for propaganda of homosexuality among minors 17 November 2021, 15:40
- Website of Side by Side festival blocked for forming positive attitude toward LGBT content 17 November 2021, 15:38
- Imam and one more person killed in Dagestani village shooting 12 November 2021, 20:25
- Prosecution service detects justification of terrorism, extremism in materials of Memorial human rights center 12 November 2021, 17:59
- Cell of Nurjular extremist organization, banned in Russia, shut down in Tatarstan 12 November 2021, 17:09
- The Russian synagogues didn't turn off the lights until morning In memory of the Kristallnacht 10 November 2021, 10:14
- Russian PM satisfied with Pope's attitude to Moscow's views on int'l issues 09 November 2021, 21:55
- MP does not rule out eventual genomic registration of all Russians 04 November 2021, 10:29
- Russian Church warns against turning vaccination into factor of national division 02 November 2021, 19:55
- FJCR president calls for imposing restrictions on those who don't want to get vaccinated 02 November 2021, 16:00
- Russian Orthodox Church calls on G20 countries to drop differences over pandemic challenges 01 November 2021, 12:35
- The court of St. Petersburg refused to punish the participant of a candid photo shoot against the background of St. Isaac's Cathedral 01 November 2021, 11:04
- FJCR president estimates number of Russian Jews at 1 mln 29 October 2021, 10:45