14 December 2021, 11:25
Bastrykin orders referral of attempted murder case to central office of Investigative Committee after incident in Serpukhov convent
Moscow, December 14, Interfax - The central office of the Russian Investigative Committee will probe the attempted murder case opened after an incident in an Orthodox Christian school in the Moscow Region, the committee's website said.
"Russian Investigative Committee Chairman Alexander Bastrykin has ordered referring the criminal case on the attempted murder in the premises of a Serpukhov convent to the Main Investigative Directorate of the Russian Investigative Committee with a view to its further investigation in a substantive and comprehensive manner," the committee said in a statement.
Detectives are trying to find out the chronology and the motive of the crime, as well as its causes and circumstances that preceded it, the committee said.
"In the course of the investigation, appropriate forensic enquiries will be ordered by court, including a forensic psychological and psychiatric examination of the suspect to determine his [mental] health condition," it said.
On Monday morning, Vladislav Struzhenkov, a 18-year-old graduate of the Orthodox Christian Gymnasium of Serpukhov detonated an improvised explosive device inside the school.
Moscow region child commissioner Kseniya MIshonova revealed that the incident injured 10 children and the suspect himself. One teenager refused to be hospitalized, while the others were admitted to hospitals in the Moscow Region, she said. Nothing is threatening their lives, Mishonova said.
Investigative Committee officers in the Moscow Region have opened a criminal case on the counts of attempted murder and illegal handling of explosives.
"There is preliminary information that the crime resulted from the teen's hatred for school teachers and nuns, rooted in personal animosity," an informed source told Interfax earlier.
- Patriarch Kirill diagnosed with Covid-19 30 September 2022, 12:41
- State Duma Council to consider consultations on possible reintroduction of death penalty 27 September 2022, 20:44
- Patriarch Kirill calls for spiritual mobilization 27 September 2022, 15:34
- Russia's FSB reports detention a Muslim recruter in Moscow area 27 September 2022, 11:58
- Russian Church warns the West against "slipping into a bestial state" 23 September 2022, 12:11
- Patriarch Kirill declares the futility of attempts to intimidate the Russians 19 September 2022, 14:04
- Religious leaders call for ending conflicts, bloodshed in the world at congress in Nur-Sultan 15 September 2022, 14:49
- Some 10,000 believers attending papal mass in Kazakh capital 14 September 2022, 17:16
- Russian Supreme Court brands as terrorist, bans Islamic Renaissance Party of Tajikistan 14 September 2022, 11:42
- Pontiff urges religious leaders to help settle conflicts through dialogue 14 September 2022, 11:41
- Patriarch Kirill: attempts to build world order without relying on moral values led to fierce confrontation 14 September 2022, 11:40
- Bishop Nicholas of Manhattan elected new First Hierarch of Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia 13 September 2022, 20:42
- Catholicos of All Armenians urges world to react to Azerbaijan's actions 13 September 2022, 15:42
- Pope Francis arrives in Kazakhstan's capital 13 September 2022, 15:38
- Russian State Duma may hold hearings on LGBT propaganda ban in Oct-Nov 13 September 2022, 14:50
- Latvian Orthodox Church chooses not to argue with govt about its status 12 September 2022, 10:30
- Patriarch Kirill calls Elizabeth II symbol of sustainability of centuries-old traditions for entire Europe 09 September 2022, 13:02
- Russian Orthodox Church on declaration of Latvian Church's autocephaly by parliament: they surpassed Middle Ages 08 September 2022, 21:45
- Latvian Saeima endorses law on independence of Latvian Orthodox Church 08 September 2022, 19:06
- WCC refuses to accuse Russian Orthodox Church despite pressure 08 September 2022, 17:03
- Court in Primorye overrules order committing Yakutia shaman Gabyshev to hospital 08 September 2022, 10:31
- Russian ombudsman calls for moratorium on death penalty in DPR 07 September 2022, 14:42
- Patriarch Kirill highlights Russia's special role in modern history 06 September 2022, 17:35
- Riga seeking independence of Latvian Orthodox Church from Moscow Patriarchate (updated) 05 September 2022, 17:44
- Russian Orthodox Church outraged by interference of Latvian secular authorities in church affairs 05 September 2022, 15:32
- World Council of Churches refuses to isolate Russian Orthodox Church delegation at its assembly 01 September 2022, 21:32
- Russian Orthodox Church accuses German president of putting pressure on World Council of Churches 01 September 2022, 14:23
- Russian Orthodox Church views Kyiv's sanctions on Patriarch Kirill as PR campaign 31 August 2022, 17:25
- Fines for LGBT propaganda to be from 50,000 to 200,000 rubles for citizens, foreigners may be deported from Russia 31 August 2022, 16:42
- Ukrainian govt approves proposed sanctions against Patriarch Kirill 31 August 2022, 09:56