29 December 2021, 17:56
Russian Church admits over 100 Patriarchate of Alexandria clerics as its members (updated)
Moscow, December 29, Interfax - The Holy Synod of the Russian Orthodox Church has decided to admit more than 100 clerics of the Patriarchate of Alexandria as its members who disagreed with the establishment of the so-called new Orthodox Church of Ukraine.
"The Holy Synod of the Russian Orthodox Church has said that it is impossible to further refuse clerics of the Orthodox Church of Alexandria, who have submitted relevant petitions, to accept them under the omophorion of the Moscow Patriarchate. It ruled to admit 102 clerics to the jurisdiction of the Russian Orthodox Church in accordance with their submitted petitions," Russian Orthodox Church spokesperson Vladimir Legoyda said on his Telegram channel on Wednesday.
The Synod has already considered this issue in September of this year. The occasion was a co-service between Patriarch Theodore II of Alexandria and the head of the non-canonical church of Ukraine, Yepifaniy (Dumenko), which took place on Turkey's Imbros Island on August 13. The Synod then noted that Patriarch Theodore II's co-serving with "the head of the schismatic body operating in Ukraine" further exacerbates the schism between the Russian Orthodox Church and the Church of Alexandria.
The patriarch of Alexandria is "second in honor" after the patriarch of Constantinople among the heads of the world's local Orthodox Churches. He studied at the Odessa University in his youth and was locum of the Alexandria Metochion in Odessa in 1985-1990. He was known for a long time as one of the main defenders of canonical Orthodoxy in Ukraine.
In 2018, after the patriarch of Constantinople recognized the Ukrainian schism, Theodore II paid a visit to Odessa to express his solidarity with the country's canonical Church and pledged his support on the international level. However, he still recognized the non-canonical church of Ukraine a year later. Many priests of the Alexandria Patriarchate disagreed with that.
- Christmas parliamentary meetings postponed indefinitely due to coronavirus situation 21 January 2022, 17:53
- Former Metropolitan Vladimir of St. Petersburg died at the age of 92 19 January 2022, 20:35
- Putin didn't take Epiphany ice plunge this year 19 January 2022, 13:35
- State Duma passes bill on life sentence for pedophiles 18 January 2022, 18:18
- Anti-Semitism is on the rise in Germany - Deputy Ambassador 18 January 2022, 18:16
- The head of Yakutia took part in Epiphany bathing in a 40-degree frost 18 January 2022, 18:10
- Patriarch Kirill admitted that part of the world Orthodoxy will go into schism 18 January 2022, 18:05
- Death penalty impossible in Russia - State Duma committee head 12 January 2022, 15:46
- Russian Orthodox Church works out a program of comprehensive presence in Africa 12 January 2022, 15:01
- Kazakh president urges preventing merger of criminality, religious extremism 11 January 2022, 11:38
- Russian Orthodox Church against lifting moratorium on death penalty 08 January 2022, 19:27
- Patriarch Kirill hopes Covid-19 pandemic will be over 07 January 2022, 19:28
- Patriarch Kirill prays for peace in Kazakhstan at Christmas service 07 January 2022, 19:26
- Patriarch Kirill concerned about the shortsightedness of politicians who speak to Russia from a position of strength 07 January 2022, 12:59
- Putin notes moral significance of Christmas 07 January 2022, 10:25
- Russian Orthodox Church sets up Patriarchal Exarchate of Africa 30 December 2021, 10:00
- Russian Church admits over 100 Patriarchate of Alexandria clerics as its members (updated) 29 December 2021, 17:56
- Russian govt orders monitoring of violations of citizens' rights along ethnic, religious lines 29 December 2021, 12:23
- Russian Church considers the long-term isolation of criminals no less effective than death penalty 29 December 2021, 11:30
- Russia not to reinstate death penalty in coming years - Presidential Human Rights Council member 29 December 2021, 11:14
- Group for protection of Christian values created at State Duma 29 December 2021, 11:12
- FJCR considers departure from traditional values the main reason for demographic decline of Jewish population after the war 27 December 2021, 12:14
- FJCR believes that mutual assistance has become the main social trend of 2021 27 December 2021, 12:03
- The head of the Russian Investigative Committee discussed the importance of spirituality in life and work with Mireille Mathieu 27 December 2021, 11:58
- Patriarch Kirill believes that modern cinema promotes the upbringing of an "old" person 27 December 2021, 11:54
- Russian Church to defrock priest Stremsky convicted of child abuse 24 December 2021, 18:21
- Orenburg priest gets 21 years in penal colony for violence against children 24 December 2021, 14:11
- Patriarch Kirill urges believers not to identify vaccination QR codes as 'Antichrist's marks' 24 December 2021, 10:19
- Insulting others not tantamount to freedom of creativity – Putin 23 December 2021, 18:29
- Patriarch Kirill worried by tightening control over people's privacy amid pandemic 23 December 2021, 18:08