29 December 2021, 17:56
Russian Church admits over 100 Patriarchate of Alexandria clerics as its members (updated)
Moscow, December 29, Interfax - The Holy Synod of the Russian Orthodox Church has decided to admit more than 100 clerics of the Patriarchate of Alexandria as its members who disagreed with the establishment of the so-called new Orthodox Church of Ukraine.
"The Holy Synod of the Russian Orthodox Church has said that it is impossible to further refuse clerics of the Orthodox Church of Alexandria, who have submitted relevant petitions, to accept them under the omophorion of the Moscow Patriarchate. It ruled to admit 102 clerics to the jurisdiction of the Russian Orthodox Church in accordance with their submitted petitions," Russian Orthodox Church spokesperson Vladimir Legoyda said on his Telegram channel on Wednesday.
The Synod has already considered this issue in September of this year. The occasion was a co-service between Patriarch Theodore II of Alexandria and the head of the non-canonical church of Ukraine, Yepifaniy (Dumenko), which took place on Turkey's Imbros Island on August 13. The Synod then noted that Patriarch Theodore II's co-serving with "the head of the schismatic body operating in Ukraine" further exacerbates the schism between the Russian Orthodox Church and the Church of Alexandria.
The patriarch of Alexandria is "second in honor" after the patriarch of Constantinople among the heads of the world's local Orthodox Churches. He studied at the Odessa University in his youth and was locum of the Alexandria Metochion in Odessa in 1985-1990. He was known for a long time as one of the main defenders of canonical Orthodoxy in Ukraine.
In 2018, after the patriarch of Constantinople recognized the Ukrainian schism, Theodore II paid a visit to Odessa to express his solidarity with the country's canonical Church and pledged his support on the international level. However, he still recognized the non-canonical church of Ukraine a year later. Many priests of the Alexandria Patriarchate disagreed with that.
- Presidents of Russia, Israel agree to continue departmental contacts regarding Jewish Agency for Israel 09 August 2022, 13:49
- Pope Francis holds lengthy meeting with head of Moscow Patriarchate's external relations dept 05 August 2022, 16:49
- 'Foreign ministers' of Russian Orthodox Church, Holy See meet in Vatican 04 August 2022, 16:44
- Zelensky tasks PM with considering legalization of same-sex marriages in Ukraine 03 August 2022, 14:38
- Pope to pay visit to Kazakhstan on Sept 13-15 01 August 2022, 13:55
- Kremlin refuses to comment on situation surrounding Jewish Agency for Israel 29 July 2022, 14:48
- Patriarch Kirill describes all Orthodox Ukrainians as children of Russian Orthodox Church 28 July 2022, 22:27
- Russian State Duma speaker says is certain bills banning propaganda of non-traditional values will be adopted 28 July 2022, 11:39
- Russian Church views Patriarch Kirill's ban on entry to Lithuania as abandoning European legal tradition 27 July 2022, 19:28
- Patriarch Kirill banned from entering Lithuania until 2027 27 July 2022, 18:15
- FJCR claims that they have not received notifications about the closure 27 July 2022, 14:25
- The return of Alexander Metochin to Russia outside the competence of the Jewish community – FJCR 27 July 2022, 14:18
- Israel ready for talks with Russia on Jewish Agency situation – PM 27 July 2022, 14:10
- Russian Church doubles the number of its clerics in Africa in seven months 27 July 2022, 11:33
- Situation surrounding Jewish Agency for Israel in Russia should not be politicized - Kremlin 26 July 2022, 17:27
- Russian court asked to declare Tajik Islamic Renaissance Party terrorist organization 25 July 2022, 18:13
- Person behind blast at Orthodox school in Russia's Serpukhov given 13-year term 25 July 2022, 15:47
- Blast rocks church in Syria at its inauguration ceremony 25 July 2022, 11:41
- Orthodox Church of Jerusalem urges West to stop attacks on Patriarch Kirill 22 July 2022, 21:40
- Intention to close down Jewish Agency for Israel in Russia linked not to 'brain drain', but to compliance with Russian laws - Kremlin 22 July 2022, 18:10
- The Federation of Jewish Communities concerned about plans to eliminate Sochnut in Russia 22 July 2022, 18:06
- Tajik president warns of danger of religious extremism ideology 21 July 2022, 17:28
- Russian Justice Ministry's Moscow branch seeks to shut down Jewish Agency for Israel 21 July 2022, 15:40
- Tretyakov Gallery dismisses as 'premature' talk about time of Rublev's Trinity return on permanent display 19 July 2022, 19:39
- Rublev's Trinity icon returned from Trinity Lavra to Tretyakov Gallery with no signs of deterioration 19 July 2022, 16:05
- Bill banning propaganda of non-traditional sexual relations submitted to State Duma 18 July 2022, 16:41
- Rublev's Trinity icon delivered to Trinity Lavra in special climate-controlled display case 18 July 2022, 10:07
- Rublev's Trinity icon delivered to Trinity Lavra for first time since 1917 Revolution 18 July 2022, 10:02
- Putin signs into law bill setting up state databank of extremist materials 14 July 2022, 16:52
- Kyrgyz special services claim to have prevented terrorist on Eid al-Adha in Bishkek 12 July 2022, 17:02