17 February 2022, 14:34
Russian Church calls the attempt to challenge Patriarch Kirill’s title political
Moscow, February 17, Interfax – The Russian Orthodox Church has refuted accusations in its address made by Metropolitan Gregory of Peristeri who suggested to deprive it of autocephaly and doubted the validity of the Moscow Patriarch title.
In the official statement posted at the website of the Synodal Department for External Church Relations, the Russian Сhurch officials reminded the Greek metropolitan about the Act of the Great Council 1593, which ordains the Patriarch of Moscow to occupy a place after the Patriarch of Jerusalem and be called a brother of the Orthodox patriarchs and his title is to be signed 'The Patriarch of Moscow and All Russia and the Northern Lands.'
"The text of this conciliar act especially emphasizes the equal status of the Patriarch of Moscow in relation to the other Primates of the ancient Churches. As the text makes clear, the Council also accords the Patriarch of Moscow fifth place in the diptychs after the Patriarch of Jerusalem. Metropolitan Gregory’s assertion that the fifth place of the Russian Church in the diptychs is an "error which needs to be rectified" and his proposal that the Church of Cyprus should occupy fifth place directly contradicts ecclesiastical custom and the universally recognized decision of the Orthodox Church, and can only be explained as an acute need to find political allies," Russian Church officials stressed.
The reason for Metropolitan Gregory’s reproaches against the Russian Church has become the establishment of its Patriarchal Exarchate in Africa that accepted over 150 priests, who don't agree with the creation of non-canonical "Orthodox Church of Ukraine" (OCU).
The Russian Church said it was not trying to split the Patriarchate of Alexandria, and that the creation of the exarchate in Africa was not an encroachment on the canonical territory of the ancient Church of Alexandria, its sole goal being to give canonical protection to the Orthodox clergy in Africa who "do not wish to participate in the lawless legitimization of the schism in Ukraine."
"The Russian Orthodox Church has always treated Eastern Patriarchates venerably, for centuries it has shown them support and today it tirelessly struggles for these Patriarchates to be preserved on their historical territory in conditions of ever-growing persecution of Christians in the Middle East," the statement said.
- Russian Orthodox Church dismisses rumors of Kiev Lavra of the Caves takeover by Orthodox Church of Ukraine 02 December 2022, 22:22
- Russian Orthodox Church slams Ukraine's plans to ban Ukrainian Orthodox Church 02 December 2022, 18:55
- Ukrainian Security Service officials arrive at Ukrainian Orthodox Church premises in 3 regions 02 December 2022, 16:40
- Security Service of Ukraine seizes pro-Russian books in Orthodox nunnery in Trans-Carpathian Region 01 December 2022, 15:02
- Russia's Federation Council endorses bills banning LGBT, pedophilia propaganda 30 November 2022, 14:02
- Cyril and Methodius Monastery of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church being searched 30 November 2022, 11:52
- Kadyrov and the head of Russian Buddhists criticizes the Pope's statements about the conflict in Ukraine 30 November 2022, 11:20
- Only constitutional amendment can provide basis for reinstating capital punishment in Russia - Constitutional Court chairman 29 November 2022, 15:20
- The Russian Church doubts the ability of Ukraine to be an independent country 28 November 2022, 11:33
- Russia's Duma to pass bill in Dec banning services of Russian surrogate mothers for foreigners 28 November 2022, 10:05
- Chernovtsy and Bukovina Diocese searched, high treason case opened – media 25 November 2022, 18:00
- Russia's State Duma adopts package of bills banning LGBT propaganda 24 November 2022, 15:58
- Marketplaces to be banned from selling goods with LGBT propaganda in Russia 23 November 2022, 16:53
- Ukrainian law enforcement officers find pro-Russian literature when searching Ukrainian Orthodox Church establishments - media 23 November 2022, 13:41
- Bill on banning Russian Orthodox Church in Ukraine registered in Verkhovnaya Rada 23 November 2022, 10:34
- Russian Orthodox Church says persecution of monks in Kiev Pechersk Laura Monastery must stop 22 November 2022, 14:21
- Searches at Kiev Lavra of the Caves are yet another link in 'chain of military actions' of Ukraine against Russian Orthodoxy – Peskov 22 November 2022, 13:53
- Ukrainian Security Service looking for saboteurs, weapons at Kiev Lavra of the Caves 22 November 2022, 12:42
- Patriarch Kirill says the fate of the world depends on the future of Russia 21 November 2022, 11:58
- Putin sends birthday greetings to Patriarch Kirill 21 November 2022, 11:54
- Sex change propaganda to be penalized by fine of 50,000 to 1 mln rubles in Russia under amendments approved by Duma committee 21 November 2022, 11:52
- Russian bailiffs forcibly collecting 6-mln-ruble fines from TikTok for LGBT propaganda 17 November 2022, 11:10
- Russia's Patriarch Kirill says ready to speak on western TV 16 November 2022, 18:41
- Putin calls high spiritual and moral guidelines the basis of Russia's identity 15 November 2022, 16:58
- Verkhovnaya Rada deputy initiates transfer of Kiev Lavra of the Caves to Orthodox church of Ukraine 15 November 2022, 16:25
- State Duma may pass bill banning LGBT propaganda next week 14 November 2022, 20:30
- Putin signs decree on foundations of state policy for consolidating traditional Russian values 09 November 2022, 18:46
- Archpriest Mikhail Vasilyev who died in Special Military Operation zone awarded Hero of Russia title 08 November 2022, 22:40
- Patriarch Kirill says the current challenges threaten the very existence of Russia 07 November 2022, 13:27
- FJCR president says no growth of anti-Semitism in Russia 03 November 2022, 15:52