07 July 2022, 10:00
Bashkortostan may become special administrative district as optimal system for Islamic financing model
Moscow, July 7, Interfax - The Bashkortostan State Assembly submitted a bill that adds Bashkortostan to the list of special administrative districts (SAD) to the Russian State Duma.
The bill was published in the State Duma's database.
It amends the Law on Special Administrative Districts in the Territories of the Kaliningrad Region and the Primorye Territory, which put the system into place on the Oktyabrsky and Russky islands in August 2018. The respective amendments were proposed to the laws On International Companies and International Funds and on Arbitration (Mediation) in the Russian Federation.
"The SAD legal system is optimal for implementing the Islamic financing model in the Russian Federation, as it allows to create favorable conditions for drawing investors from businesses incorporated in Arab countries to the Russian Federation," the bill's explanatory note said.
SAD conditions "are the best for testing Sharia standards under the Russian jurisdiction" in Bashkortostan, while primary features of SAD as a special legal system enable the fullest implementation of Sharia standards for structuring financial deals, the bill authors said.
"SAD is optimal for the creation of favorable investment climate in the Republic of Bashkortostan, as it allows the provision of an enhanced standard of information disclosure in compliance with the norms necessary for making transactions under Islamic law," the explanatory note said.
The bill "will help create favorable climate for Russian and foreign investors and development of the Republic of Bashkortostan through intensification of business and investment activity in this region," it said.
This is not the first attempt to expand the list of territories with the SAD status. A group of deputies proposed in May that the Sirius federal area in the Krasnodar Territory acquire the SAD status. Their bill has not even passed the first reading.
Head of the State Duma Financial Market Committee Anatoly Aksakov said earlier the Committee decided to set up a working group on Islamic finance to consider individual amendments to Russian laws for drawing investment from Islamic countries.
Islamic banking has a number of prohibitions and restrictions. For example, it bans the payment of interest (riba) and related interest-bearing transactions, uncertain transactions (gharar), and financing of particular economic sectors, such as gambling, pork production and alcoholic beverages. There is a condition of sharing the risk of profit and loss between the financing party and the client on transactions and financial transactions based on actual assets or transactions with these assets. It is also necessary to identify the actual assets underlying the transaction.
- Russian Orthodox Church dismisses rumors of Kiev Lavra of the Caves takeover by Orthodox Church of Ukraine 02 December 2022, 22:22
- Russian Orthodox Church slams Ukraine's plans to ban Ukrainian Orthodox Church 02 December 2022, 18:55
- Ukrainian Security Service officials arrive at Ukrainian Orthodox Church premises in 3 regions 02 December 2022, 16:40
- Security Service of Ukraine seizes pro-Russian books in Orthodox nunnery in Trans-Carpathian Region 01 December 2022, 15:02
- Russia's Federation Council endorses bills banning LGBT, pedophilia propaganda 30 November 2022, 14:02
- Cyril and Methodius Monastery of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church being searched 30 November 2022, 11:52
- Kadyrov and the head of Russian Buddhists criticizes the Pope's statements about the conflict in Ukraine 30 November 2022, 11:20
- Only constitutional amendment can provide basis for reinstating capital punishment in Russia - Constitutional Court chairman 29 November 2022, 15:20
- The Russian Church doubts the ability of Ukraine to be an independent country 28 November 2022, 11:33
- Russia's Duma to pass bill in Dec banning services of Russian surrogate mothers for foreigners 28 November 2022, 10:05
- Chernovtsy and Bukovina Diocese searched, high treason case opened – media 25 November 2022, 18:00
- Russia's State Duma adopts package of bills banning LGBT propaganda 24 November 2022, 15:58
- Marketplaces to be banned from selling goods with LGBT propaganda in Russia 23 November 2022, 16:53
- Ukrainian law enforcement officers find pro-Russian literature when searching Ukrainian Orthodox Church establishments - media 23 November 2022, 13:41
- Bill on banning Russian Orthodox Church in Ukraine registered in Verkhovnaya Rada 23 November 2022, 10:34
- Russian Orthodox Church says persecution of monks in Kiev Pechersk Laura Monastery must stop 22 November 2022, 14:21
- Searches at Kiev Lavra of the Caves are yet another link in 'chain of military actions' of Ukraine against Russian Orthodoxy – Peskov 22 November 2022, 13:53
- Ukrainian Security Service looking for saboteurs, weapons at Kiev Lavra of the Caves 22 November 2022, 12:42
- Patriarch Kirill says the fate of the world depends on the future of Russia 21 November 2022, 11:58
- Putin sends birthday greetings to Patriarch Kirill 21 November 2022, 11:54
- Sex change propaganda to be penalized by fine of 50,000 to 1 mln rubles in Russia under amendments approved by Duma committee 21 November 2022, 11:52
- Russian bailiffs forcibly collecting 6-mln-ruble fines from TikTok for LGBT propaganda 17 November 2022, 11:10
- Russia's Patriarch Kirill says ready to speak on western TV 16 November 2022, 18:41
- Putin calls high spiritual and moral guidelines the basis of Russia's identity 15 November 2022, 16:58
- Verkhovnaya Rada deputy initiates transfer of Kiev Lavra of the Caves to Orthodox church of Ukraine 15 November 2022, 16:25
- State Duma may pass bill banning LGBT propaganda next week 14 November 2022, 20:30
- Putin signs decree on foundations of state policy for consolidating traditional Russian values 09 November 2022, 18:46
- Archpriest Mikhail Vasilyev who died in Special Military Operation zone awarded Hero of Russia title 08 November 2022, 22:40
- Patriarch Kirill says the current challenges threaten the very existence of Russia 07 November 2022, 13:27
- FJCR president says no growth of anti-Semitism in Russia 03 November 2022, 15:52