18 July 2022, 10:07
Rublev's Trinity icon delivered to Trinity Lavra in special climate-controlled display case
Moscow, July 18, Interfax - Andrey Rublev's Trinity icon has been transported from the Tretyakov Gallery to the Trinity Lavra of St. Sergius in a specially made climate-controlled display case, after the celebrations are over the icon will be brought back to the gallery, the Russian Culture Ministry told Interfax.
"To prepare for transportation and display, the Russian Culture Ministry set up a special commission, whose main task was to ensure the preservation of the icon of the early 15th century. The icon was transported in a specially made climate-controlled display case," the ministry told Interfax on Sunday.
After the church festivities are over the icon will be returned to the Tretyakov Gallery, it said.
"Understanding the great importance for the entire Orthodox world [...], following a comprehensive assessment of the risks associated with transportation, the request of the leadership of the Russian Orthodox Church to make the icon available for religious services at the Trinity Lavra of St. Sergius was granted," the gallery said.
"The transportation was carried out with all necessary precautions, and at the Trinity Lavra of St. Sergius the icon was placed in a capsule, which was especially created for this purpose and is maintaining a climate usual for it. At the beginning of next week the Trinity icon will be returned to the State Tretyakov Gallery," the museum's press service said.
Earlier, head of the press service for the Trinity Lavra of St. Sergius Tatyana Denisyuk told Interfax that on the night of July 17 for the first time since the 1917 October Revolution the Trinity icon was delivered to the Trinity Lavra of St. Sergius, where largescale celebrations marking the 600th anniversary of the discovery of the relics of Saint Sergius of Radonezh began on Sunday.
"The icon was delivered from the Tretyakov Gallery accompanied by employees of the museum tonight. It will be placed in a special display case at the Holy Trinity Cathedral of the Lavra, in its original place, on July 17 and on July 18. For two days believers will be able to worship the shrine," Denisyuk told.
The Trinity icon painted by Rublev in the 15th century, is the most famous of his artworks and one of the two (along with the frescoes in Vladimir) preserved artworks, which scientists believe to be definitely his.
According to previous media reports, the Tretyakov Gallery was opposed to the taking of Rublev's icon from the gallery, which it only left during the Great Patriotic War evacuation.
The possibility of bringing the Trinity icon to the Trinity Lavra, where it was historically kept, was first broadly discussed in 2008. At the time, a number of Russian art experts gave some emotional comments on the issue in the media.
- Patriarch Kirill diagnosed with Covid-19 30 September 2022, 12:41
- State Duma Council to consider consultations on possible reintroduction of death penalty 27 September 2022, 20:44
- Patriarch Kirill calls for spiritual mobilization 27 September 2022, 15:34
- Russia's FSB reports detention a Muslim recruter in Moscow area 27 September 2022, 11:58
- Russian Church warns the West against "slipping into a bestial state" 23 September 2022, 12:11
- Patriarch Kirill declares the futility of attempts to intimidate the Russians 19 September 2022, 14:04
- Religious leaders call for ending conflicts, bloodshed in the world at congress in Nur-Sultan 15 September 2022, 14:49
- Some 10,000 believers attending papal mass in Kazakh capital 14 September 2022, 17:16
- Russian Supreme Court brands as terrorist, bans Islamic Renaissance Party of Tajikistan 14 September 2022, 11:42
- Pontiff urges religious leaders to help settle conflicts through dialogue 14 September 2022, 11:41
- Patriarch Kirill: attempts to build world order without relying on moral values led to fierce confrontation 14 September 2022, 11:40
- Bishop Nicholas of Manhattan elected new First Hierarch of Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia 13 September 2022, 20:42
- Catholicos of All Armenians urges world to react to Azerbaijan's actions 13 September 2022, 15:42
- Pope Francis arrives in Kazakhstan's capital 13 September 2022, 15:38
- Russian State Duma may hold hearings on LGBT propaganda ban in Oct-Nov 13 September 2022, 14:50
- Latvian Orthodox Church chooses not to argue with govt about its status 12 September 2022, 10:30
- Patriarch Kirill calls Elizabeth II symbol of sustainability of centuries-old traditions for entire Europe 09 September 2022, 13:02
- Russian Orthodox Church on declaration of Latvian Church's autocephaly by parliament: they surpassed Middle Ages 08 September 2022, 21:45
- Latvian Saeima endorses law on independence of Latvian Orthodox Church 08 September 2022, 19:06
- WCC refuses to accuse Russian Orthodox Church despite pressure 08 September 2022, 17:03
- Court in Primorye overrules order committing Yakutia shaman Gabyshev to hospital 08 September 2022, 10:31
- Russian ombudsman calls for moratorium on death penalty in DPR 07 September 2022, 14:42
- Patriarch Kirill highlights Russia's special role in modern history 06 September 2022, 17:35
- Riga seeking independence of Latvian Orthodox Church from Moscow Patriarchate (updated) 05 September 2022, 17:44
- Russian Orthodox Church outraged by interference of Latvian secular authorities in church affairs 05 September 2022, 15:32
- World Council of Churches refuses to isolate Russian Orthodox Church delegation at its assembly 01 September 2022, 21:32
- Russian Orthodox Church accuses German president of putting pressure on World Council of Churches 01 September 2022, 14:23
- Russian Orthodox Church views Kyiv's sanctions on Patriarch Kirill as PR campaign 31 August 2022, 17:25
- Fines for LGBT propaganda to be from 50,000 to 200,000 rubles for citizens, foreigners may be deported from Russia 31 August 2022, 16:42
- Ukrainian govt approves proposed sanctions against Patriarch Kirill 31 August 2022, 09:56