04 July 2006, 14:14
Alexy II is awarded the highest Muslim Order
Moscow, July 4, Interfax - Patriarch Alexy II of Moscow and All Russia is awarded the highest Muslim Order of Sheikh ul-Islam for his contribution into development of mutual understanding among nations and religions.
On Tuesday, the head of the Muslim Board of the Caucasus Allahshukur Pasha-zade awarded the Primate of the Russian Orthodox Church at the World Religious Summit current in Moscow. Patriarch Alexy is the first religious leader awarded with this Order. Earlier it was conferred upon Russian President Vladimir Putin and the former leader of Azerbaijan Geidar Aliyev.
Pasha-zade remarked that the award was conferred upon the Primate of the Russian church ‘for his great work aimed at peace and mutual understanding among nations, affirmation of solidarity as a norm of life, and the solution of international conflicts.’
‘How many human lives the efforts of His Holiness the Patriarch saved!’, the religious leader of the Muslims of the Caucasus said.
Alexy II noted that he accepted the award as recognition of the activities of the entire Russian Orthodox church. ‘Its hierarchs, clergy and laity have always sought cooperation with all people of good will and strengthened relations between the Orthodox and Muslim clergy.’
‘We have maintained special relations with you personally. They have been tested by time,’ the patriarch told Pasha-zade.
‘My duty and vocation is to serve to the strengthening of cooperation among nations and religions,’ the patriarch underscored.
The Order of Sheikh ul-Islam is made of precious metals and enamel and decorated with diamonds.
- Patriarch Kirill wishes courage to victims of Istanbul terrorist act 30 June 2016, 15:24
- Terror eventually touched Turkey In result of Turkish policy of double standards, Jewish leader of Russia believes 30 June 2016, 10:26
- Six Salafism adherents detained in Kazakhstan 30 June 2016, 10:10
- Moscow would like Venice Commission to react to Rada appeal on Ukrainian Orthodox Church's autocephaly 30 June 2016, 10:07
- Eleven religious radicals arrested over case of terror attack preparation in Kazakhstan, 1 dies during arrest (updated) 29 June 2016, 15:07
- Pope takes side of Azerbaijan on Karabakh issue - Baku 27 June 2016, 11:53
- Moscow Patriarchate tells Constantinople democracy is irrelevant in church life 27 June 2016, 11:40
- Vatican-Ankara relations will not sour over Pope's statement on Armenian genocide - Holy See 27 June 2016, 10:45
- Pope Francis again calls 1915 events in Ottoman Empire 'genocide' 27 June 2016, 10:28
- Russian Security Council notes active use of religious organizations by foreign special services 27 June 2016, 10:26
- Holy Synod to determine Russian Church's attitude to Orthodox forum on Crete in July 27 June 2016, 10:00
- Experts warn against Constantinople's attempt to set up a standing body of ruling the Orthodox world 24 June 2016, 18:42
- Pope Francis has meeting in Etchmiadzin Monastery in Armenia 24 June 2016, 17:12
- Pope arrives in Armenia 24 June 2016, 14:19
- Independence of the Ukrainian Church from Moscow can result in religious war - expert 24 June 2016, 12:07
- July 5 declared non-working day in Crimea due to Muslim holiday 23 June 2016, 18:03
- Patriarch Kirill thanks God that leader of Syrian Christians survived terrorist attack 23 June 2016, 14:44
- Russian Church registers 130 violations of Orthodox Christians' rights in Europe in 2015 22 June 2016, 17:06
- Vatican State Secretary urges Ukrainians not to be nationalists and not to drive themselves into ghetto 22 June 2016, 12:51
- Scientologists detained in St. Petersburg remain under witness status, no charges pressed – source 22 June 2016, 12:27
- Searches over case of illegal activity of Church of Scientology conducted at 14 venues in Moscow, St. Petersburg and Leningrad Region – FSB (updated) 21 June 2016, 14:20
- No jihadist training camps in Ukraine - SBU head (updated) 21 June 2016, 13:39
- Law enforcement officials taking passport details of Church of Scientology members in Moscow 21 June 2016, 13:10
- Searches underway in Moscow and St. Petersburg to suppress unlawful activities of Church of Scientology (updated) 21 June 2016, 10:44
- Religious motive did not confirmed as a version of Nemtsov's murder 20 June 2016, 16:06
- Crete forum not to address Ukrainian issue - Constantinople Patriarchate 20 June 2016, 12:45
- Religious extremists killed in Nalchik 20 June 2016, 12:42
- Ukrainian Church asks president, prosecutors to react to parliamentarians' address to Rada's initiative 17 June 2016, 10:20
- Agenda of the Crete forum is miserable, it can't be called a Council - expert 17 June 2016, 10:01
- Rada's draft on giving autocephaly to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church is doomed to failure - expert 16 June 2016, 16:22