04 July 2006, 14:14
Alexy II is awarded the highest Muslim Order
Moscow, July 4, Interfax - Patriarch Alexy II of Moscow and All Russia is awarded the highest Muslim Order of Sheikh ul-Islam for his contribution into development of mutual understanding among nations and religions.
On Tuesday, the head of the Muslim Board of the Caucasus Allahshukur Pasha-zade awarded the Primate of the Russian Orthodox Church at the World Religious Summit current in Moscow. Patriarch Alexy is the first religious leader awarded with this Order. Earlier it was conferred upon Russian President Vladimir Putin and the former leader of Azerbaijan Geidar Aliyev.
Pasha-zade remarked that the award was conferred upon the Primate of the Russian church ‘for his great work aimed at peace and mutual understanding among nations, affirmation of solidarity as a norm of life, and the solution of international conflicts.’
‘How many human lives the efforts of His Holiness the Patriarch saved!’, the religious leader of the Muslims of the Caucasus said.
Alexy II noted that he accepted the award as recognition of the activities of the entire Russian Orthodox church. ‘Its hierarchs, clergy and laity have always sought cooperation with all people of good will and strengthened relations between the Orthodox and Muslim clergy.’
‘We have maintained special relations with you personally. They have been tested by time,’ the patriarch told Pasha-zade.
‘My duty and vocation is to serve to the strengthening of cooperation among nations and religions,’ the patriarch underscored.
The Order of Sheikh ul-Islam is made of precious metals and enamel and decorated with diamonds.
- Russian Church has established a day of remembrance for the victims of repression 27 September 2021, 11:06
- Russian Orthodox Church considering accepting Alexandria clergy who don't want to recognize Ukrainian schism 24 September 2021, 17:40
- Patriarch of Constantinople who visited Kiev has no right to speak on behalf of Orthodox world - Russian Church 24 September 2021, 17:24
- Russian Prosecutor General's Office designates two Scientology organizations undesirable 24 September 2021, 16:58
- Five Jehovah's Witnesses convicted in Russia's Volgograd Region 24 September 2021, 10:10
- Court dismisses appeal against forcible treatment of Yakutia shaman Gabyshev 23 September 2021, 15:22
- FJCR calls on Ukrainian authorities to expand definition of anti-Semitism 23 September 2021, 15:18
- Krasny Pakhar Jamaat added to Russian list of terrorist groups 22 September 2021, 16:29
- Ukraine adopts law on fight against anti-Semitism 22 September 2021, 13:38
- Afghanistan must form inclusive govt - SCO summit declaration 17 September 2021, 17:12
- Patriarch Kirill doubts legitimacy of authority of Patriarch Bartholomew of Constantinople 16 September 2021, 16:38
- Jehovah's Witness jailed for 3 years in Kostroma 08 September 2021, 10:00
- Jehovah's Witness from Pskov Region gets suspended sentence 08 September 2021, 10:00
- Putin notes contribution of Jewish religious organizations to interethnic peace, accord 06 September 2021, 14:26
- Metropolitan Hilarion compared Patriarch Bartholomew to a robber and a thief 06 September 2021, 10:52
- Russian Church concerned about the fate of Christians in Afghanistan 06 September 2021, 10:43
- Supporters of radical Islam held in Tula 06 September 2021, 10:36
- Defrocked priest Sergy's supporter remanded in custody – court 02 September 2021, 18:13
- More than 5.5 thousand clerics and monks of the Russian Orthodox Church in Russia have been ill with coronavirus 02 September 2021, 14:36
- More than 2.5 million people have visited the Jewish Museum in Moscow during its nine years of operation 02 September 2021, 14:31
- Lithuanian president promises not to allow LGBT history to be taught in schools 02 September 2021, 14:25
- Associate of former schema-hegumen Sergy detained in hatred fanning case 01 September 2021, 15:26
- Complaints about threats from Male State community should be processed by law enforcement agencies - Peskov 31 August 2021, 14:57
- Taliban to present themselves as less radical to get investments – expert 31 August 2021, 13:45
- Russian Justice Ministry adds 4 Ukrainian and Latvian religious movements to list of groups undesirable in Russia 30 August 2021, 18:12
- The church historian called the results of Patriarch Bartholomew's visit to Ukraine deplorable 30 August 2021, 16:04
- More than 500 Orthodox churches to be built in Moscow 30 August 2021, 11:07
- Russian authorities to check the construction of a closed "halal" village near Moscow 30 August 2021, 10:49
- Patriarch Kirill calls the visit of the Constantinople primate to Kiev sinful 30 August 2021, 10:40
- Organizers of Jehovah's Witnesses cell detained in Moscow 26 August 2021, 15:55