04 July 2006, 14:14
Alexy II is awarded the highest Muslim Order
Moscow, July 4, Interfax - Patriarch Alexy II of Moscow and All Russia is awarded the highest Muslim Order of Sheikh ul-Islam for his contribution into development of mutual understanding among nations and religions.
On Tuesday, the head of the Muslim Board of the Caucasus Allahshukur Pasha-zade awarded the Primate of the Russian Orthodox Church at the World Religious Summit current in Moscow. Patriarch Alexy is the first religious leader awarded with this Order. Earlier it was conferred upon Russian President Vladimir Putin and the former leader of Azerbaijan Geidar Aliyev.
Pasha-zade remarked that the award was conferred upon the Primate of the Russian church ‘for his great work aimed at peace and mutual understanding among nations, affirmation of solidarity as a norm of life, and the solution of international conflicts.’
‘How many human lives the efforts of His Holiness the Patriarch saved!’, the religious leader of the Muslims of the Caucasus said.
Alexy II noted that he accepted the award as recognition of the activities of the entire Russian Orthodox church. ‘Its hierarchs, clergy and laity have always sought cooperation with all people of good will and strengthened relations between the Orthodox and Muslim clergy.’
‘We have maintained special relations with you personally. They have been tested by time,’ the patriarch told Pasha-zade.
‘My duty and vocation is to serve to the strengthening of cooperation among nations and religions,’ the patriarch underscored.
The Order of Sheikh ul-Islam is made of precious metals and enamel and decorated with diamonds.
- Salekhard administration bans gay pride parade on Polar Circle 20 January 2017, 11:53
- Divers discover a Douglas and three air bombs of World War II when preparing to Epiphany bathing in the Black Sea 20 January 2017, 11:37
- Project of the Moscow Tolerance Center to 2018 World Cup presented in Davos 20 January 2017, 11:05
- Churches belonging to Moscow Patriarchate in Ukraine attacked 13 times over past year 19 January 2017, 15:45
- Arctic Ocean sanctified in northern Yakutia in Epiphany night 19 January 2017, 11:52
- Over 1.8 mln people took part in Epiphany bathing in Russia 19 January 2017, 11:24
- Russian Orthodox Church clergy to sanctify waters of two oceans for Epiphany 18 January 2017, 18:12
- Hajj quota enlarged by more than third for Uzbek Muslims 18 January 2017, 13:07
- Arc containing relics of saints who died for faith under Soviets to be carried across Russia to mark 100th anniversary of October Revolution 18 January 2017, 13:06
- Patriarch Kirill caught cold and won't participate in Epiphany celebrations 17 January 2017, 18:56
- Russian Orthodox Church will actively participate in restoring Syrian shrines 17 January 2017, 15:46
- FJCR outraged by televiewers' vote, who called ISIL supporter "Person of the Week" 16 January 2017, 18:11
- Moscow Patriarchate church in Kiev pelted with Molotov cocktails 16 January 2017, 15:29
- Russian Orthodox Church Outside Russia head to take pilgrimage to Russia on occasion of 100th anniversary of October Revolution 11 January 2017, 16:35
- Abortions banned for one day in the Yaroslavl Region to commemorate the Bethlehem babies 11 January 2017, 15:35
- Patriarch Kirill invited to Syria 09 January 2017, 16:36
- Azerbaijan has no plans to join Islamic military bloc so far 09 January 2017, 14:41
- Patriarch Kirill to visit Hungary 09 January 2017, 10:57
- Putin's Christmas message notes Russian Orthodox Church's role in preserving civil peace, accord 09 January 2017, 10:50
- Lenin should be buried, but the most important is not to inflict harm, the Russian church official believes 06 January 2017, 16:22
- Church will release results of the Yekaterinburg relics expertise by the second quarter of 2017 06 January 2017, 16:20
- Moscow Center of Tolerance carries out international children action to back up migrants 06 January 2017, 15:54
- Rabbi Lazar condemns Soviet past, calls to bury body of Lenin 06 January 2017, 15:53
- Two Israelis suspected of intentionally damaging Jesus on Cross statue in Ukraine's Uman 03 January 2017, 21:30
- The Russian Church suggests fining for abusive language in public places 30 December 2016, 14:44
- Patriarch Kirill believes the word 'celebrations' inappropriate to 100th anniversary of October revolt 30 December 2016, 13:00
- Changes that took place in 2016 withdrew a threat menacing the world - Patriarch Kirill 30 December 2016, 12:24
- Doctors recommend the Georgian Patriarch to go to Germany for treatment, but he refuses 29 December 2016, 19:05
- Ukrainian government promotes interests of sexual minorities in spite of church protests 29 December 2016, 17:14
- Rabbi Lazar makes offer to Putin to set up tolerance centers in other Russian cities along with Moscow 28 December 2016, 18:48