04 July 2006, 14:14
Alexy II is awarded the highest Muslim Order
Moscow, July 4, Interfax - Patriarch Alexy II of Moscow and All Russia is awarded the highest Muslim Order of Sheikh ul-Islam for his contribution into development of mutual understanding among nations and religions.
On Tuesday, the head of the Muslim Board of the Caucasus Allahshukur Pasha-zade awarded the Primate of the Russian Orthodox Church at the World Religious Summit current in Moscow. Patriarch Alexy is the first religious leader awarded with this Order. Earlier it was conferred upon Russian President Vladimir Putin and the former leader of Azerbaijan Geidar Aliyev.
Pasha-zade remarked that the award was conferred upon the Primate of the Russian church ‘for his great work aimed at peace and mutual understanding among nations, affirmation of solidarity as a norm of life, and the solution of international conflicts.’
‘How many human lives the efforts of His Holiness the Patriarch saved!’, the religious leader of the Muslims of the Caucasus said.
Alexy II noted that he accepted the award as recognition of the activities of the entire Russian Orthodox church. ‘Its hierarchs, clergy and laity have always sought cooperation with all people of good will and strengthened relations between the Orthodox and Muslim clergy.’
‘We have maintained special relations with you personally. They have been tested by time,’ the patriarch told Pasha-zade.
‘My duty and vocation is to serve to the strengthening of cooperation among nations and religions,’ the patriarch underscored.
The Order of Sheikh ul-Islam is made of precious metals and enamel and decorated with diamonds.
- Russian Orthodox Church mourns victims of terror attack against Copts in Egypt 26 May 2017, 19:54
- Attack on bus carrying Christians in Egypt may negatively impact resumption of flights between Russia, Egypt - source 26 May 2017, 18:26
- Putin to visit Russian cultural spiritual center after talks with Macron - Kremlin 26 May 2017, 17:24
- Unknown individuals wreak havoc on church of Moscow Patriarchate in western Ukraine 26 May 2017, 16:11
- Putin presents icon to Sretensky Monastery church 25 May 2017, 18:07
- Unity of Russian nation should be preserved – Putin 25 May 2017, 15:09
- Patriarch of Georgia cancels festivities to mark 40th anniversary of his enthronement 25 May 2017, 14:46
- Putin kisses relics of St. Nicholas Miracle-Maker 24 May 2017, 22:55
- Putin expresses gratitude to pope for permission to bring St. Nicholas' relics to Russia 24 May 2017, 22:51
- Putin meets with Coptic patriarch Tawadros II 24 May 2017, 22:50
- Putin, Medvedev visit Patriarch Kirill to offer name day congratulations 24 May 2017, 22:48
- Russian Cossacks will help Syrians preserve their Christian heritage 24 May 2017, 18:18
- Patriarch Kirill to visit Kyrgyzstan 24 May 2017, 17:08
- Patriarch Kirill will consecrate a cathedral built to the 100th anniversary of the revolution 24 May 2017, 15:12
- The Federation of Jewish Community of Russia criticizes Ukrainian political circles for heroizing Nazi symbols 24 May 2017, 12:19
- Patriarch Kirill sends early icon of Saint Nicholas to Pope Francis 23 May 2017, 15:19
- Investigators verifying media reports on possible harassment of LGBT community in Chechnya – ombudsman 23 May 2017, 13:15
- Religious believers disrupt gay march in Chisinau 22 May 2017, 11:53
- Patriarch Kirill believes Christians of different confessions will unite in one Church again 22 May 2017, 11:08
- Patriarch Kirill calls St. Nicholas the Wonderworker saint number one for Russia 22 May 2017, 11:03
- Thousands believers met St. Nicholas relics in the Cathedral pf Christ the Savior 22 May 2017, 10:44
- St. Nicholas' relics delivered to Moscow 21 May 2017, 17:08
- Head of Belarusian Orthodox Church addresses Poroshenko regarding 'anti-Orthodox' laws 19 May 2017, 19:00
- Georgian priest accused of attempted murder refuses to attend his trial behind closed doors 19 May 2017, 17:18
- Ukrainian Foreign Ministry denies that ambassador summoned to Vatican regarding church bills 19 May 2017, 16:06
- Ukrainian ambassador summoned to Vatican regarding Rada's intention to pass bills on status of church organizations 19 May 2017, 14:49
- Patriarch Kirill asks not to give him flowers on his name day, but to fundraise for suffering Syrian people 18 May 2017, 18:38
- Metropolitan of Kiev and All Ukraine thanks participants in prayer at Verkhovnaya Rada building 18 May 2017, 18:37
- Kremlin says disrespect for interests of Russian Orthodox Church in Ukraine unacceptable 18 May 2017, 17:18
- Moldovan president objects to LGBT march in Chisinau 18 May 2017, 16:27