10 July 2006, 14:23
Greek Catholics can set up patriarchate only by seizing churches by force - Ukrainian Orthodox Church
Kiev, July 10, Interfax - The Ukrainian Orthodox Church does not exclude a possibility that the Ukrainian Greek-Catholic Church (UGCC) may establish a patriarchate of its own.
The Ukrainian issue of the Kommersant daily has reported Monday that the recognition of the UGCC Patriarchate of Kiev and Galicia was considered at the Uniate Synod session held from June 25 to July 5 in Rome.
‘The Greek Catholics will never have a patriarchate, except that they seize churches by force and thus seek to establish a patriarchate’, the Ukrainian Orthodox Church press service commented on the UGCC’s intention.
However, according to the daily, the Vatican approves of the Greek-Catholic intention to set up their own patriarchate as an important step towards the creation of one Church in Ukraine.
As a Vatican source informed Kommersant, the UGCC patriarchate ‘will help elevate the status (of the Ukrainian Greek-Catholic - IF) Church and make it possible to unite the Orthodox and the Catholics in Ukraine, to unite the Churches’.
Bishop Gleb Lonchina, apostolic visitator for the Greek-Catholic Ukrainians in Italy, Spain and Ireland, also stated that Pope Benedict XVI himself had approved the idea of a UGCC patriarchate.
UGCC Supreme Archbishop Lubomir Husar is expected to publicize the results of the Synod on Monday. In case of a positive decision, the Church will be granted administrative independence and the powers of its head will become considerably broader.
- Orthodoxy doesn't allow superiority of any nation - Russian church rep on Patriarch Bartholomew's speech 23 October 2018, 16:02
- Diocese of Odessa almost unilaterally affirms allegiance to canonical Ukrainian Orthodox Church 23 October 2018, 13:59
- Russian Orthodox Church tells Patriarch Bartholomew it's not obliged to obey him 23 October 2018, 13:54
- Head of UAOC regrets having agreed to hand over St. Andrew's Church to Constantinople 22 October 2018, 18:58
- Peskov: Putin's remark about heaven and hell was allegory 22 October 2018, 15:07
- Vatican recognizes territorial integrity of Georgia – official 22 October 2018, 14:55
- S. Ossetian border guards detained 4 Georgian citizens, including 2 priests 22 October 2018, 13:42
- Awarding new titles to Filaret Denisenko is farce - Russian Orthodox Church 22 October 2018, 13:37
- Russian Orthodox Church denies rumors of coming visit of Pope Francis to Moscow (updated) 22 October 2018, 10:38
- Most Orthodox Christians support decision to sever communion with Constantinople - Patriarch Kirill 19 October 2018, 17:38
- Constantinople refuses to sever communion with Russian Orthodox Church (updated) 19 October 2018, 17:36
- Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia cuts ties with Constantinople 19 October 2018, 14:31
- The Ukrainian metropolitan: Constantinople abandoned God 19 October 2018, 13:07
- Putin about nuclear war: we'll go straight to paradise, while they will simply pop off 19 October 2018, 10:58
- St. Andrew's Church in Kiev to stay property of state - press service for Sophia of Kiev National Sanctuary Complex 18 October 2018, 18:43
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church disagrees with transfer of St. Andrew's Church to Constantinople 18 October 2018, 18:41
- Ukrainian parliament supports transfer of St. Andrew's Church in Kiev to Constantinople 18 October 2018, 14:36
- Media review: Metropolitan Hilarion: "The fact that the Patriarchate of Constantinople has recognized a schismatic structure means for us that it itself is now in schism" 18 October 2018, 13:22
- Leaders of non-canonical churches of Ukraine differ on 'autocephaly' issue – media 18 October 2018, 11:03
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church disproves forecasts of mass exodus of its clergy, congregation to Constantinople's church 18 October 2018, 11:00
- Metropolitan Alexander (Drabinko) who proclaimed himself Constantinople cleric says each Ukrainian orthodox bishop should choose whose side to belong 17 October 2018, 10:12
- Russian Orthodox Church planning to address issue of pastoral direction for Russians on territory of Constantinople Patriarchate (updated) 16 October 2018, 19:08
- Dodon proposes hosting Pan-Orthodox Council in Moldova 16 October 2018, 18:00
- Peskov: Kremlin concerned by relations between Russian Orthodox Church and Constantinople 16 October 2018, 15:47
- Poroshenko to propose granting Constantinople permanent use of St. Andrew's Church in Kiev 16 October 2018, 13:57
- Russian Orthodox Church takes path of self-isolation - Poroshenko 16 October 2018, 13:10
- Holy Synod of Russian Orthodox Church appoints new bishops to administer parishes in Europe, U.S 16 October 2018, 11:45
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church leader attended Russian Synod meeting, supported its decision - Metropolitan Hilarion 16 October 2018, 10:14
- Belarusian Orthodox Church joins Holy Synod's decision to break up with Constantinople 16 October 2018, 10:10
- Former primate of Orthodox Church in U.S. opposes U.S. policy about church in Ukraine 15 October 2018, 22:24