10 July 2006, 14:23
Greek Catholics can set up patriarchate only by seizing churches by force - Ukrainian Orthodox Church
Kiev, July 10, Interfax - The Ukrainian Orthodox Church does not exclude a possibility that the Ukrainian Greek-Catholic Church (UGCC) may establish a patriarchate of its own.
The Ukrainian issue of the Kommersant daily has reported Monday that the recognition of the UGCC Patriarchate of Kiev and Galicia was considered at the Uniate Synod session held from June 25 to July 5 in Rome.
‘The Greek Catholics will never have a patriarchate, except that they seize churches by force and thus seek to establish a patriarchate’, the Ukrainian Orthodox Church press service commented on the UGCC’s intention.
However, according to the daily, the Vatican approves of the Greek-Catholic intention to set up their own patriarchate as an important step towards the creation of one Church in Ukraine.
As a Vatican source informed Kommersant, the UGCC patriarchate ‘will help elevate the status (of the Ukrainian Greek-Catholic - IF) Church and make it possible to unite the Orthodox and the Catholics in Ukraine, to unite the Churches’.
Bishop Gleb Lonchina, apostolic visitator for the Greek-Catholic Ukrainians in Italy, Spain and Ireland, also stated that Pope Benedict XVI himself had approved the idea of a UGCC patriarchate.
UGCC Supreme Archbishop Lubomir Husar is expected to publicize the results of the Synod on Monday. In case of a positive decision, the Church will be granted administrative independence and the powers of its head will become considerably broader.
- Check of leader of Jewish movement Shahar for extremism might have to do with social media post - lawyer 13 August 2018, 17:28
- Teen suspected of setting fire to church in Karelia to be evaluated for sanity 13 August 2018, 14:29
- Teenage Satanist suspected of setting fire to wooden church in Karelia 13 August 2018, 12:58
- Police checking leader of Jewish movement in Russia for extremism - lawyer 10 August 2018, 20:53
- Russian Foreign Ministry asks Greek embassy for explanations on problems with issuing visas to priests 10 August 2018, 10:43
- St. Petersburg resident sentenced to 5 years in prison for preparing Kazan Cathedral terror attack 10 August 2018, 10:40
- Activists set up organization to protect rights of Orthodox believers in Eastern Europe 07 August 2018, 13:58
- Greece not issuing long-term visas to Russian priests - Russian patriarch's ex-spokesman 07 August 2018, 13:12
- Meeting of Moscow, Constantinople patriarchs will prove futility of efforts to split church - Ukrainian Orthodox Church 06 August 2018, 18:01
- Russia to memorialize 20 Holocaust execution sites 06 August 2018, 17:56
- Agenda of meeting between patriarchs Kirill, Bartholomew in works - Russian Orthodox Church 06 August 2018, 14:49
- Priest visits Oleg Sentsov in prison 06 August 2018, 14:05
- Patriarchs Kirill, Bartholomew to meet in Istanbul on Aug 31 06 August 2018, 13:45
- Moldova preparing for Patriarch Kirill's visit 02 August 2018, 12:32
- Poroshenko dismissed an official who promised him autocephaly to the Day of Russia's Baptism - media 02 August 2018, 11:05
- Patriarch Kirill appoints Grigory Antyufeyev acting general director of Sofrino (updated) 30 July 2018, 14:46
- No searches being conducted at Sofrino - source 30 July 2018, 12:38
- Patriarch Kirill removes long-term church administrator Parkhayev from all posts 30 July 2018, 12:35
- Ukrainian Interior Ministry estimates number of participants in so-called Kiev Patriarchate's procession as 65,000 people 28 July 2018, 17:47
- Poroshenko sees Russian Orthodox Church as threat to Ukraine 28 July 2018, 16:15
- Putin sees Christianization of Kievan Rus as start of Russia's statehood 28 July 2018, 14:29
- Putin joins religious procession marking 1030th anniversary of Christianization of Kievan Rus in Moscow 28 July 2018, 14:24
- Poroshenko joins schismatics' procession marking 1030th anniversary of Christianization of Rus in Kiev 28 July 2018, 12:56
- Russian Orthodox Church to resist attempts to separate Ukrainian Orthodox Church from it - Patriarch Kirill 28 July 2018, 09:07
- About 250,000 attend cross procession in Kiev - organizers 27 July 2018, 17:38
- Kiev cross procession begins 27 July 2018, 14:22
- Over 100,000 pilgrims to attend Kiev cross procession - Ukrainian Orthodox Church 27 July 2018, 14:00
- Heads, members of 10 local Orthodox Churches to celebrate 1030th anniversary of Baptism of Rus in Moscow 27 July 2018, 12:37
- Patriarch Kirill praises Ukrainian Orthodox Christians for staying loyal to Russian church before 1,030th anniversary of Christianization of Rus 27 July 2018, 11:06
- Patriarch Kirill hopes celebrations of 1,030th anniversary of Christianization of Rus can help overcome division in Ukraine 26 July 2018, 18:41