03 August 2006, 14:14
Constantinople shows increasing tendency to Orthodox ‘papism’ - Russian priest
Moscow, August 3, Interfax - The Patriarchate of Constantinople’s policy is becoming similar to a ‘papal policy set on Orthodox soil’, Rev. Mikhail Dudko, Moscow Patriarchate Department for External Church Relations secretary for church-society relations, has stated.
‘It is very visible. The behavior of Constantinople, including its action with regard to the diocese of Sourozh, is arrogant’, Father Mikhail said on a broadcast by the radio Radonezh.
This was his comment on the decision of Constantinople to accept into its jurisdiction the former head of the diocese of Sourozh, Bishop Basil Osborn, whom the Russian Orthodox Church Synod has suspended.
‘Regrettably, we are not heard by Constantinople today however hard we have tried to knock. The tendency to Orthodox ‘papism’ is clear, and in the case of Bishop Basil it has certainly come out especially vividly’, the priest noted.
He said even if the canons ascribe to Constantinople the title of judge, even if some experts in canon law maintain that appeals can be made to it in case of disputes, ‘in this particular case, even if this interpretation is accepted, something bigger has happened’.
Moreover, Father Mikhail continued, the Patriarch of Constantinople ‘played in its own favour by having sided with Bishop Basil and those who followed him in advance, without looking into or setting forth any arguments’.
The representative of the Russian Church called to begin a serious conversation on how far the claims of the Patriarch of Constantinople go with regard to the Orthodox diaspora, how far particular canons on jurisdiction are applicable in the modern world, ‘which is universally believed to be much different from the era of the Ecumenical Council, and how far they can be modified or interpreted as applied to our time.
Father Mikhail also expressed the conviction that the actions of today’s Patriarch of Constantinople were influenced by the policy of the USA emulated by Constantinople because a considerable part of its faithful, live there, ‘the most influential part of them’ at that, the priest noted.
- Elton John performs in Moscow, protests homophobia 09 December 2013, 10:01
- It is unacceptable for constitution to give preference to any one faith - Russian premier 06 December 2013, 16:09
- Deputy Milonov proposes easing receipt of Russian citizenship for "spiritually insulted" Europeans 04 December 2013, 15:49
- Moscow, Antioch Patriarchates call for release of kidnapped Syrian nuns 04 December 2013, 15:47
- Catholic priest suspected of high treason released from Belarusian KGB cell pending trial - Apostolic Nunciature 04 December 2013, 14:23
- Russia wants terror attacks stopped against religious figures, worship sites in Syria 04 December 2013, 12:16
- Lawyer: Russian priest accused of pedophilia remains in Israel 04 December 2013, 10:10
- Russians still trust president, Church the most - poll 04 December 2013, 10:09
- Conflicts on former Soviet soil should be settled peacefully - Russian Church 03 December 2013, 15:28
- Muslim organization leader appointed head of new Kazakh movement 03 December 2013, 14:39
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin calls for fight against destructive sects 02 December 2013, 17:43
- Reward pledged in Tatarstan for info on church arsonists 02 December 2013, 17:24
- Orthodox Christians to hold sacred procession in Kiev 02 December 2013, 13:51
- Religious organization in Taganrog illegally treated drug-dependent people 02 December 2013, 10:18
- The Bible will be translated into modern Russian language 02 December 2013, 10:17
- Head of Ukrainian Orthodox Church condemn Maidan dispersal 02 December 2013, 10:11
- FEMEN activist strips near Kiev Laura of the Caves against dictatorship 02 December 2013, 10:09
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin advises Orthodox countries not to adopt Western democracy models 29 November 2013, 10:05
- Minaret built in Georgian village at night 29 November 2013, 10:03
- Hizb ut-Tahrir recruiter detained in Kyrgyzstan 28 November 2013, 12:03
- Too early to discuss time, place of meeting of Patriarch Kirill, Pope Francis - Russian Church 28 November 2013, 10:13
- Patriarch Kirill expressed concerns about exodus by Christians from Iraq 27 November 2013, 14:29
- 15 At Takfir Wal-Hijra members detained in Moscow - Interior Ministry 27 November 2013, 10:24
- Putin: Russia, Vatican have similar positions on many issues 27 November 2013, 10:22
- Russian Church calls for broad debate of idea for special role of Orthodox faith in Constitution 27 November 2013, 10:01
- Putin, pontiff compare positions on global affairs - Russian Orthodox Church cleric 26 November 2013, 14:59
- Russian president's meeting with Pope Francis lasted longer than planned 26 November 2013, 10:16
- Special role of Orthodox Church should be stated in Constitution - Nilov 26 November 2013, 10:02
- Patriarch Kirill opposed to any forms of convergence of Church and state 25 November 2013, 14:36
- Human rights ombudsman criticizes idea to include premise on Orthodoxy's role in Russia in constitution 25 November 2013, 10:16