03 August 2006, 14:14
Constantinople shows increasing tendency to Orthodox ‘papism’ - Russian priest
Moscow, August 3, Interfax - The Patriarchate of Constantinople’s policy is becoming similar to a ‘papal policy set on Orthodox soil’, Rev. Mikhail Dudko, Moscow Patriarchate Department for External Church Relations secretary for church-society relations, has stated.
‘It is very visible. The behavior of Constantinople, including its action with regard to the diocese of Sourozh, is arrogant’, Father Mikhail said on a broadcast by the radio Radonezh.
This was his comment on the decision of Constantinople to accept into its jurisdiction the former head of the diocese of Sourozh, Bishop Basil Osborn, whom the Russian Orthodox Church Synod has suspended.
‘Regrettably, we are not heard by Constantinople today however hard we have tried to knock. The tendency to Orthodox ‘papism’ is clear, and in the case of Bishop Basil it has certainly come out especially vividly’, the priest noted.
He said even if the canons ascribe to Constantinople the title of judge, even if some experts in canon law maintain that appeals can be made to it in case of disputes, ‘in this particular case, even if this interpretation is accepted, something bigger has happened’.
Moreover, Father Mikhail continued, the Patriarch of Constantinople ‘played in its own favour by having sided with Bishop Basil and those who followed him in advance, without looking into or setting forth any arguments’.
The representative of the Russian Church called to begin a serious conversation on how far the claims of the Patriarch of Constantinople go with regard to the Orthodox diaspora, how far particular canons on jurisdiction are applicable in the modern world, ‘which is universally believed to be much different from the era of the Ecumenical Council, and how far they can be modified or interpreted as applied to our time.
Father Mikhail also expressed the conviction that the actions of today’s Patriarch of Constantinople were influenced by the policy of the USA emulated by Constantinople because a considerable part of its faithful, live there, ‘the most influential part of them’ at that, the priest noted.
- Moscow Patriarchate church in Kiev pelted with Molotov cocktails 16 January 2017, 15:29
- Russian Orthodox Church Outside Russia head to take pilgrimage to Russia on occasion of 100th anniversary of October Revolution 11 January 2017, 16:35
- Abortions banned for one day in the Yaroslavl Region to commemorate the Bethlehem babies 11 January 2017, 15:35
- Patriarch Kirill invited to Syria 09 January 2017, 16:36
- Azerbaijan has no plans to join Islamic military bloc so far 09 January 2017, 14:41
- Patriarch Kirill to visit Hungary 09 January 2017, 10:57
- Putin's Christmas message notes Russian Orthodox Church's role in preserving civil peace, accord 09 January 2017, 10:50
- Lenin should be buried, but the most important is not to inflict harm, the Russian church official believes 06 January 2017, 16:22
- Church will release results of the Yekaterinburg relics expertise by the second quarter of 2017 06 January 2017, 16:20
- Moscow Center of Tolerance carries out international children action to back up migrants 06 January 2017, 15:54
- Rabbi Lazar condemns Soviet past, calls to bury body of Lenin 06 January 2017, 15:53
- Two Israelis suspected of intentionally damaging Jesus on Cross statue in Ukraine's Uman 03 January 2017, 21:30
- The Russian Church suggests fining for abusive language in public places 30 December 2016, 14:44
- Patriarch Kirill believes the word 'celebrations' inappropriate to 100th anniversary of October revolt 30 December 2016, 13:00
- Changes that took place in 2016 withdrew a threat menacing the world - Patriarch Kirill 30 December 2016, 12:24
- Doctors recommend the Georgian Patriarch to go to Germany for treatment, but he refuses 29 December 2016, 19:05
- Ukrainian government promotes interests of sexual minorities in spite of church protests 29 December 2016, 17:14
- Rabbi Lazar makes offer to Putin to set up tolerance centers in other Russian cities along with Moscow 28 December 2016, 18:48
- Putin wishes Russian Jews happiness, well-being 28 December 2016, 18:47
- Investigators toughen charge against imam of Yardyam Mosque suspected of justifying terrorism 28 December 2016, 12:00
- Patriarch Kirill calls victims of Tu-154 crash symbols of national life and pride 27 December 2016, 13:23
- Worship cross to commemorate polar explorers will be set up in Arctic 27 December 2016, 12:38
- Patriarch Kirill offers his Christmas greetings to the Pope of Rome 26 December 2016, 17:56
- Patriarch Kirill prays for repose of victims dead in Tu-154 crash 26 December 2016, 10:35
- The battle against Judaist yoke's author fined 100,000 rubles for extremist calls 23 December 2016, 10:00
- Patriarch Kirill calls against understating achievements of Soviet administration, troubles that hit country 22 December 2016, 18:46
- Moscow security officers detain members of Tablighi Jamaat extremist cell led by foreign emissaries 22 December 2016, 18:41
- Moscow court sentences former Moscow State University student Ivanova (Karaulova) to 4.5 years in prison 22 December 2016, 18:38
- FJCR sees Uman incident as result of glorifying radical nationalists in Ukraine 22 December 2016, 15:59
- Patriarch Kirill calls late Ambassador Karlov martyr 22 December 2016, 15:14