03 August 2006, 14:14
Constantinople shows increasing tendency to Orthodox ‘papism’ - Russian priest
Moscow, August 3, Interfax - The Patriarchate of Constantinople’s policy is becoming similar to a ‘papal policy set on Orthodox soil’, Rev. Mikhail Dudko, Moscow Patriarchate Department for External Church Relations secretary for church-society relations, has stated.
‘It is very visible. The behavior of Constantinople, including its action with regard to the diocese of Sourozh, is arrogant’, Father Mikhail said on a broadcast by the radio Radonezh.
This was his comment on the decision of Constantinople to accept into its jurisdiction the former head of the diocese of Sourozh, Bishop Basil Osborn, whom the Russian Orthodox Church Synod has suspended.
‘Regrettably, we are not heard by Constantinople today however hard we have tried to knock. The tendency to Orthodox ‘papism’ is clear, and in the case of Bishop Basil it has certainly come out especially vividly’, the priest noted.
He said even if the canons ascribe to Constantinople the title of judge, even if some experts in canon law maintain that appeals can be made to it in case of disputes, ‘in this particular case, even if this interpretation is accepted, something bigger has happened’.
Moreover, Father Mikhail continued, the Patriarch of Constantinople ‘played in its own favour by having sided with Bishop Basil and those who followed him in advance, without looking into or setting forth any arguments’.
The representative of the Russian Church called to begin a serious conversation on how far the claims of the Patriarch of Constantinople go with regard to the Orthodox diaspora, how far particular canons on jurisdiction are applicable in the modern world, ‘which is universally believed to be much different from the era of the Ecumenical Council, and how far they can be modified or interpreted as applied to our time.
Father Mikhail also expressed the conviction that the actions of today’s Patriarch of Constantinople were influenced by the policy of the USA emulated by Constantinople because a considerable part of its faithful, live there, ‘the most influential part of them’ at that, the priest noted.
- Belgorod imam sentenced to 8.5 years for abetting terrorism 17 November 2017, 13:08
- Georgian Ministry of Interior concerned with “sweet bombarding” of countryside schools with priests participating 17 November 2017, 10:47
- Searches conducted at home of imam of one of Nazran's main mosques 17 November 2017, 10:07
- Moscow mufti urges adoption of Islam development strategy to 2030 16 November 2017, 21:55
- Ukrainian parliament makes Catholic Christmas a public holiday 16 November 2017, 21:53
- Patriarch Kirill tells U.S. ambassador of importance of developing "heart-level" contacts among pious Russians, Americans 16 November 2017, 18:46
- Talk of restoring monarchy in Russia premature - Maria Romanova 16 November 2017, 17:03
- Patriarch Kirill asks Putin to back Donbass prisoner exchange proposal 15 November 2017, 16:33
- Justice Ministry regrets ECHR rejection of Russian request to review decision on law banning gay propaganda among children 15 November 2017, 10:00
- Head of the Anglican Church arrives in Moscow next week 13 November 2017, 16:32
- Jewish Museum and Center of Tolerance celebrate their fifth anniversary 13 November 2017, 16:28
- Soviet Union managed to build "a kingdom of justice," church official believes 13 November 2017, 10:24
- Particle of St. Seraphim of Sarov relics will be brought to Greece 13 November 2017, 10:20
- Russia should impose 5-10-year moratorium on Lenin burial topic - Church representative 13 November 2017, 10:01
- Head of Madrid-based House of Romanov to meet with Patriarch Kirill in Moscow on Nov 18 09 November 2017, 10:29
- Russia without revolution could have achieved more, Metropolitan Hilarion believes 07 November 2017, 18:10
- Business ombudsman calls for Lenin to be removed from Mausoleum, for final end to be put to Soviet past 07 November 2017, 10:11
- Kadyrov waiting for Zyuganov's apology for remarks on Lenin's burial 07 November 2017, 10:07
- Putin offers Trump condolences over Texas tragedy 07 November 2017, 10:02
- Mausoleum is, must remain Lenin's burial place – Zyuganov 02 November 2017, 18:04
- Head of human rights council suggests turning Mausoleum into museum, selling tickets to enter it, think of Lenin's body as pharaoh's mummy 02 November 2017, 17:26
- Majority of Russian Protestants unlike western stand for traditional morals - Metropolitan Hilarion 02 November 2017, 16:37
- Patriarch Kirill invites Patriarch Ilia II to Moscow to celebrate 100th anniversary of restoration of Russian patriarchate 02 November 2017, 16:36
- Lenin's burial not on Kremlin agenda - Peskov 02 November 2017, 13:33
- Patriarch Kirill criticizes 'color' revolutions for using quasi-religious rhetoric 02 November 2017, 10:01
- Church representative speaks against renaming the October Revolution to "Russian" one 01 November 2017, 16:30
- Russian Jews point out to Patriarch Kirill’s special role in opposing Anti-Semitism and xenophobia 01 November 2017, 14:00
- Patriarch Kirill: if we do not educate our people, others will do it 01 November 2017, 13:29
- President and patriarch opens a monument to victims of repressions in Moscow 31 October 2017, 10:52
- Patriarch Kirill fears total control over people via gadgets 31 October 2017, 10:28