21 August 2006, 09:59
Court to hear complaint by gay parade organizers
Moscow, August 21, Interfax - Moscow's Tagansky Court will hear on Tuesday a complaint by gay parade organizers against an official ban, imposed on the May 27 gay parade in downtown Moscow.
The court adjourned the hearings from July 19 at the request of the city's Central Administrative District officials, who said they were busily involved in another litigation matter, although the claimants had insisted on hearings in the defendants' absence.
The organizers of the gay parade, who "applied for an official permit to hold a picket on Moscow's Lubyanskaya Square on May 27 in support of tolerance towards the gay community in Russia and the observance of their rights," were denied permission to stage their action.
The district prefecture argued that, "the picket could spark public resentment, given the requests to ban this public event, laid down in numerous letters from government and parliamentary officials, religious confessions and individual citizens."
The prefecture also expressed fear that the picket might provoke "a wave of protests leading to massive disturbances and breaches of the peace." The freedom of association, set forth in the European Convention on Human Rights, could be restricted to safeguard public peace and to prevent unrest, Moscow officials said.
Dmitry Bartenev, a claimant, said that the district prefecture's decision was illegal. "The prefecture motivated its decision by the letters conveying a negative attitude to the event and by the fact that it was incapable of guaranteeing security to its participants in a city where events involving thousands are held daily. This one would have been attended by not more than several dozen people," Bartenev told Interfax.
The European Court of Human Rights has released many statements to this effect, saying the official claims that no proper security guarantees can be provided are a "violation," Bartenev said.
Moscow's Tverskoy Court had earlier upheld the Moscow authorities' decision to ban the gay parade in Moscow. The organizers appealed with the Moscow City Court. The date of the next hearing has yet to be named.
- Religion department editor of the Dagestani newspaper detained on suspicion of terrorism financing 17 June 2019, 11:30
- Russian Catholics don’t believe in islamization of Europe 07 June 2019, 15:30
- Leaders, members of 15 Jehovah's Witnesses cells held in Dagestan 07 June 2019, 10:55
- World will be better if people follow Bible, Torah, Koran - Putin 06 June 2019, 18:01
- Russian Catholics urge not to have illusions about possible pontiff's visit to Moscow 06 June 2019, 17:05
- The Russian Orthodox Church is not ready to welcome the Pope of Rome in Moscow 06 June 2019, 16:04
- Putin to meet with Pope Francis 06 June 2019, 14:34
- Russian Jews pray for “lifting up” the soul of the reposed wife of the Israel’s president 06 June 2019, 11:32
- Russia's Jews present country as example of tolerance for Europe 04 June 2019, 18:48
- Remembrance of Great Patriotic War protects Russia from xenophobia, anti-Semitism - Putin 04 June 2019, 17:48
- Putin attends unveiling of monument to heroes of resistance in concentration camps 04 June 2019, 17:41
- Russian Muslim community plays major role in combating extremist ideology - PM Medvedev 04 June 2019, 11:28
- Putin notes Russian Muslims' contribution to peoples' unity, fight against extremism 04 June 2019, 11:25
- Last Sobibor uprising survivor dies 03 June 2019, 18:17
- Kiev Patriarchate does not exist, never existed - Patriarch Bartholomew 03 June 2019, 14:54
- Constantinople cannot solve complicated religious situation in Ukraine - Russian Orthodox Church 30 May 2019, 19:45
- Putin congratulates Jews on Salvation and Liberation Day 30 May 2019, 19:00
- Protests against construction of churches plotted by outside forces - Russian Orthodox Church 28 May 2019, 18:42
- Church on site of first Russian settlement Fort Ross in U.S. to be restored 28 May 2019, 17:27
- Russian Orthodox Church to open churches in Cyprus, Sweden 28 May 2019, 17:26
- Yekaterinburg residents offer some 50 sites for church construction 27 May 2019, 18:37
- Patriarch Kirill in meeting with Mijatovic asks Council of Europe to control observance of believers' rights in Ukraine 27 May 2019, 18:35
- Churches in Russia to keep being built as long as people need it - Patriarch Kirill 27 May 2019, 18:14
- Patriarch Kirill hopes for end to discrimination against Orthodox Christians in Ukraine under new president 27 May 2019, 18:13
- Europe, Russia should turn over page of misunderstanding - Patriarch Kirill 27 May 2019, 17:18
- Patriarch Kirill tells secretary general of Council of Europe is concerned about human rights issues 27 May 2019, 14:14
- Putin, Patriarch Kirill discuss matter of plans to build Yekaterinburg church – Peskov 27 May 2019, 13:42
- Metropolitan Kirill compares situation with church construction in Yekaterinburg to tsar's family killing 27 May 2019, 12:31
- Patriarch Kirill sanctifies Church of All Saints in Strasbourg 27 May 2019, 11:27
- Hegumen arrested after stabbing, injuring monk at Trinity Lavra of St. Sergius 24 May 2019, 19:10