05 September 2006, 14:47
North Caucasus ruling bishop insists on need to build church at site of Beslan tragedy
Moscow, September 5, Interfax - Bishop Feofan of Stavropol and Vladikavkaz has confirmed the wish of the Beslan people to build an Orthodox church at site of the tragedy.
‘The mothers whose children were either injured or killed when the school in Beslan was captured have met and voted. By an overwhelming majority they have decided to build an Orthodox church at site of the tragedy’, the bishop said to Interfax on Tuesday.
He noted that the collection of signatures was resumed and ‘an overwhelming majority is in favour of the construction of a church’.
‘If anyone dares claim that 70% of the victims of the Beslan tragedy were Muslims, it is a falsification. Everybody says unequivocally the majority of them were Christians’, the bishop said.
He also stressed that the question whether a church should be built at site of the tragedy ‘has never been an apple of discord and the claims that there should be no church there are morbid’.
Earlier the co-chairman of the Council of Muftis in Russia, Nafigullah Ashirov, criticized the idea of building an Orthodox church at the site of the Beslan tragedy, accusing the Moscow Patriarchate of lobbying its ‘corporate interests’. He also claimed some 70% of the victims in Beslan were Muslims.
Bishop Feofan recalled that on September 2 he baptized about one thousand people at the convent near Alagir in North Ossetia.
‘That was an answer to the question about the Ossetians’ attitude to Orthodoxy. Still, the Ossetian roots are basically Orthodox. It is predominantly an Orthodox republic and the majority should be heeded’, the agency’s interlocutor added.
‘Such is the history of our country. Should then a mosque be put in place of the Cathedral of the Dormition in Moscow? We live in Russia and have respect for our Muslim brothers, but we know that Russia is predominantly an Orthodox country, and we cannot change our traditions, history and faith’, the hierarch of the Russian Church stressed.
- Russian people, like Noah, urged not to let the world finally sink in sin, Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin believes 16 April 2014, 19:21
- Two chapels and baptistery set on fire in Ulyanovsk region 16 April 2014, 17:47
- Alleged ex-activist of Hizb ut-Tahrir going on trial in Moscow 16 April 2014, 17:11
- Gay parades not permitted in Sevastopol or Simferopol 16 April 2014, 16:59
- Two imams banned from mosque service in Kyrgyzstan 16 April 2014, 15:29
- Kadyrov wants to build a mosque in Sevastopol 16 April 2014, 11:49
- Murderer confessed in his crimes after becoming a believer 15 April 2014, 16:11
- Islamic radicals are unpopular in Crimea - expert 15 April 2014, 11:08
- Putin thanks Russia's chief rabbi for contribution in enhancing inter-confession peace 15 April 2014, 10:00
- About 170 tonnes of matzah made for Passover in Russia 14 April 2014, 10:08
- Two militants suspected killers of Dagestan village imam 14 April 2014, 10:00
- Odessa Diocese secretary moves to Moscow for fear of persecution 11 April 2014, 17:27
- WRPC Human Rights Center supports the idea of criminal proceedings against Gorbachev 11 April 2014, 16:31
- Group of Jehovah's Witnesses followers detained in Uzbekistan 11 April 2014, 14:23
- Roman Abramovich spends half million dollars on Passover celebrations 11 April 2014, 10:08
- Village mosque imam killed in Dagestan 11 April 2014, 10:00
- Russian oligarchs start a pilgrimage across Israeli desert 10 April 2014, 11:39
- Radical Islam followers from Europe, Central Asia fight for Syrian militants - Bortnikov 09 April 2014, 14:03
- Assailants of Dagestan madrasah teacher killed in police operation 09 April 2014, 11:24
- Iraqi Sharia court to try Bryansk pedagogue on earthenware smuggling counts 09 April 2014, 10:59
- Kostroma authorities to appeal court ruling over illegality of gay pride parade ban 09 April 2014, 10:13
- Terrorism, Wahhabism neutralized in Chechnya completely – Kadyrov 09 April 2014, 10:04
- Russian Foundation to deliver Holy Fire from Jerusalem to Crimea 09 April 2014, 10:00
- Priest Grozovsky to be extradited to Russia soon 08 April 2014, 19:45
- Activities of 18 intl religious extremists suppressed in four Russian regions - FSB chief 08 April 2014, 12:30
- Russian prosecutors ask Israel to extradite priest accused of child molestation – sources 07 April 2014, 17:01
- Siberian hermit Agafya Lykova may move from taiga 07 April 2014, 16:50
- Group of Hizb ut-Tahrir propagandists detained in Kyrgyzstan 07 April 2014, 16:18
- Patriarch Kirill compares events in Ukraine to 1917 revolution 07 April 2014, 15:30
- Cross set up, prayer said in North Pole 07 April 2014, 11:03