05 September 2006, 14:47
North Caucasus ruling bishop insists on need to build church at site of Beslan tragedy
Moscow, September 5, Interfax - Bishop Feofan of Stavropol and Vladikavkaz has confirmed the wish of the Beslan people to build an Orthodox church at site of the tragedy.
‘The mothers whose children were either injured or killed when the school in Beslan was captured have met and voted. By an overwhelming majority they have decided to build an Orthodox church at site of the tragedy’, the bishop said to Interfax on Tuesday.
He noted that the collection of signatures was resumed and ‘an overwhelming majority is in favour of the construction of a church’.
‘If anyone dares claim that 70% of the victims of the Beslan tragedy were Muslims, it is a falsification. Everybody says unequivocally the majority of them were Christians’, the bishop said.
He also stressed that the question whether a church should be built at site of the tragedy ‘has never been an apple of discord and the claims that there should be no church there are morbid’.
Earlier the co-chairman of the Council of Muftis in Russia, Nafigullah Ashirov, criticized the idea of building an Orthodox church at the site of the Beslan tragedy, accusing the Moscow Patriarchate of lobbying its ‘corporate interests’. He also claimed some 70% of the victims in Beslan were Muslims.
Bishop Feofan recalled that on September 2 he baptized about one thousand people at the convent near Alagir in North Ossetia.
‘That was an answer to the question about the Ossetians’ attitude to Orthodoxy. Still, the Ossetian roots are basically Orthodox. It is predominantly an Orthodox republic and the majority should be heeded’, the agency’s interlocutor added.
‘Such is the history of our country. Should then a mosque be put in place of the Cathedral of the Dormition in Moscow? We live in Russia and have respect for our Muslim brothers, but we know that Russia is predominantly an Orthodox country, and we cannot change our traditions, history and faith’, the hierarch of the Russian Church stressed.
- Former Moscow Patriarchate employee charged with treason to remain in custody until October 31 July 2015, 17:44
- Russia's Muslims expect Islamic world leaders at cathedral mosque opening ceremony in Moscow 31 July 2015, 10:02
- IS militants could include tens of thousands of Europeans - EU official 31 July 2015, 10:01
- Patriarch Kirill calls murders of priest and nun in Kiev outrageous 30 July 2015, 10:04
- Nun of Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the Moscow Patriarchate murdered in Kiev 29 July 2015, 18:01
- Islamic State recruits people worldwide – Bortnikov 29 July 2015, 11:46
- FSB director calls for discreditation of Islamists' leaders 29 July 2015, 11:10
- Priest attacked in Kiev dies 29 July 2015, 10:44
- Poroshenko promises no state interference in forming united local Ukrainian Orthodox Church 29 July 2015, 10:02
- Ex-leader of Bashkir national movement jailed for three years for religious extremism 28 July 2015, 12:16
- Russia to continue Donbass peace efforts in response to Patriarch Kirill's message - the Kremlin 28 July 2015, 12:14
- Kremlin to host presidential reception in honor of Baptizer of Russia 28 July 2015, 11:39
- Patriarch Kirill launches anti-war appeal to Putin, Poroshenko on eve of Russia Christianization Day (updated) 27 July 2015, 18:16
- Kiev priest attack must not remain unpunished - Moscow Patriarchate 27 July 2015, 17:25
- Chelyabinsk Islamist gets 5-year sentence 27 July 2015, 17:02
- Wahabi from Dagestan detained with ammo, heroin on bus to Moscow 27 July 2015, 16:59
- Moscow Patriarchate priest badly wounded in Kiev 27 July 2015, 11:48
- Jews with synagogues on wheels to visit over 70 cities of Russia 27 July 2015, 10:34
- Arkhangelsk authorities ban LGBT event on Airborne Troops Day 27 July 2015, 10:11
- Georgian Patriarch successfully operated on in Germany 27 July 2015, 10:00
- Chapel or memorial sign to appear in place of collapsed barracks in Omsk 24 July 2015, 12:45
- Kyrgyz PM proposes to build special prison for religious extremists 24 July 2015, 11:42
- Russian Orthodox Church urges authorities against leaving people without ideological "wheel and sails" 23 July 2015, 15:40
- Valaam abbot gives up Internet, suggests restricting use of smartphones in monasteries 23 July 2015, 10:01
- No way back to Chechnya for those joining Islamic State – Kadyrov 22 July 2015, 12:23
- Tajik former election committee member from Islamic party jailed for illegal arms possession 21 July 2015, 14:35
- State Duma deputy asks Russian foreign minister to initiate international tribunal for ISIL 21 July 2015, 11:20
- At least 500 Tajiks fighting alongside IS - Interior Ministry 21 July 2015, 10:01
- Ukrainian miners build a church at the depth of 800 meters 20 July 2015, 16:53
- Patriarch Kirill urges Ukraine not to politicize the term 'Russian world' 20 July 2015, 13:35