05 September 2006, 14:47
North Caucasus ruling bishop insists on need to build church at site of Beslan tragedy
Moscow, September 5, Interfax - Bishop Feofan of Stavropol and Vladikavkaz has confirmed the wish of the Beslan people to build an Orthodox church at site of the tragedy.
‘The mothers whose children were either injured or killed when the school in Beslan was captured have met and voted. By an overwhelming majority they have decided to build an Orthodox church at site of the tragedy’, the bishop said to Interfax on Tuesday.
He noted that the collection of signatures was resumed and ‘an overwhelming majority is in favour of the construction of a church’.
‘If anyone dares claim that 70% of the victims of the Beslan tragedy were Muslims, it is a falsification. Everybody says unequivocally the majority of them were Christians’, the bishop said.
He also stressed that the question whether a church should be built at site of the tragedy ‘has never been an apple of discord and the claims that there should be no church there are morbid’.
Earlier the co-chairman of the Council of Muftis in Russia, Nafigullah Ashirov, criticized the idea of building an Orthodox church at the site of the Beslan tragedy, accusing the Moscow Patriarchate of lobbying its ‘corporate interests’. He also claimed some 70% of the victims in Beslan were Muslims.
Bishop Feofan recalled that on September 2 he baptized about one thousand people at the convent near Alagir in North Ossetia.
‘That was an answer to the question about the Ossetians’ attitude to Orthodoxy. Still, the Ossetian roots are basically Orthodox. It is predominantly an Orthodox republic and the majority should be heeded’, the agency’s interlocutor added.
‘Such is the history of our country. Should then a mosque be put in place of the Cathedral of the Dormition in Moscow? We live in Russia and have respect for our Muslim brothers, but we know that Russia is predominantly an Orthodox country, and we cannot change our traditions, history and faith’, the hierarch of the Russian Church stressed.
- Appearance of ISIS militants in Kyrgyzstan shows stability is fragile - Atambayev 31 August 2015, 14:19
- Fourteen suspected ISIS propagandists detained in Tajikistan 31 August 2015, 12:58
- Tajik Justice Ministry gave ten days to shut down Islamic Renaissance Party 31 August 2015, 10:10
- Mercenary inquiry opened against Stavropol neo-pagan group leader fighting for Kiev 31 August 2015, 10:08
- Valaam Monastery to raise up to 200 tonnes of trout per year in response to sanctions 28 August 2015, 17:59
- Hizb ut-Tahrir follower seized in Kyrgyzstan for illegal religious training of young girls 28 August 2015, 12:57
- Cathedral mosque to be built in Simferopol with Turkey participating - Mufti of Crimea 27 August 2015, 14:34
- Russian soldiers will learn methods of struggle against Islamic radicals and sects 26 August 2015, 13:07
- Russian Church likens attacks on Orthodox Ukrainians to Soviet-era persecutions 26 August 2015, 10:04
- Shelling damages a diocesan building in Gorlovka 25 August 2015, 11:16
- Patriarch Kirill hopes for interaction between Ukrainian Orthodox Church, Ukrainian authorities in interests of society 24 August 2015, 17:11
- Schismatics disrupted a divine service and seized an Orthodox church not far from Kiev 24 August 2015, 11:29
- Court seizes over one million Jehovah's Witnesses brochures brought into Russia 21 August 2015, 17:42
- Blogger from Karelia who criticized Church and received shelter in Estonia offers to exchange himself for Kohver 20 August 2015, 16:20
- Deputy imam killed in Stavropol territory 20 August 2015, 14:20
- Russia and Church cast a challenge to all evil powers - Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin 20 August 2015, 10:06
- 20% decrease in number of hajj-goers is prognosed in Russia as the ruble devaluates 19 August 2015, 17:50
- Kazakh priest conquers highest mountain in the Central Asia 19 August 2015, 12:58
- Teenagers hoist ISIL flag in southern Tajikistan 19 August 2015, 12:34
- African Patriarch to make pilgrimage to Russia 18 August 2015, 15:37
- Aksyonov won't allow gay prides in Crimea 18 August 2015, 14:18
- Orthodox believers ask Moscow Prosecutor to give legal evaluation of notorious exhibition in Manege 18 August 2015, 12:29
- Orthodox activists deny involvement in Moscow deputy assault 18 August 2015, 10:05
- Member of Hizb ut-Tahrir cell in St. Petersburg sentenced to five years in jail 17 August 2015, 17:20
- Petards and smoke grenades thrown at participants in homosexual forum in Odessa 17 August 2015, 15:08
- Incident in Manege promotes exhibition and Enteo, both sides should be punished, Orthodox human rights advocate believes 17 August 2015, 14:43
- Church official speaks for giving the food stuff on Russia's embargo list to the poor and Donbass 17 August 2015, 11:20
- Manezh radical attack to increase price of insurance for works of art going to Moscow - culture expert 17 August 2015, 10:21
- Rights defender Alexeyeva calls for punishing religious activists who vandalized sculpture exhibition in Moscow 17 August 2015, 10:07
- Art exhibition at Moscow's Manege working as normal following attack by radical Orthodox activists 17 August 2015, 10:00