05 September 2006, 14:47
North Caucasus ruling bishop insists on need to build church at site of Beslan tragedy
Moscow, September 5, Interfax - Bishop Feofan of Stavropol and Vladikavkaz has confirmed the wish of the Beslan people to build an Orthodox church at site of the tragedy.
‘The mothers whose children were either injured or killed when the school in Beslan was captured have met and voted. By an overwhelming majority they have decided to build an Orthodox church at site of the tragedy’, the bishop said to Interfax on Tuesday.
He noted that the collection of signatures was resumed and ‘an overwhelming majority is in favour of the construction of a church’.
‘If anyone dares claim that 70% of the victims of the Beslan tragedy were Muslims, it is a falsification. Everybody says unequivocally the majority of them were Christians’, the bishop said.
He also stressed that the question whether a church should be built at site of the tragedy ‘has never been an apple of discord and the claims that there should be no church there are morbid’.
Earlier the co-chairman of the Council of Muftis in Russia, Nafigullah Ashirov, criticized the idea of building an Orthodox church at the site of the Beslan tragedy, accusing the Moscow Patriarchate of lobbying its ‘corporate interests’. He also claimed some 70% of the victims in Beslan were Muslims.
Bishop Feofan recalled that on September 2 he baptized about one thousand people at the convent near Alagir in North Ossetia.
‘That was an answer to the question about the Ossetians’ attitude to Orthodoxy. Still, the Ossetian roots are basically Orthodox. It is predominantly an Orthodox republic and the majority should be heeded’, the agency’s interlocutor added.
‘Such is the history of our country. Should then a mosque be put in place of the Cathedral of the Dormition in Moscow? We live in Russia and have respect for our Muslim brothers, but we know that Russia is predominantly an Orthodox country, and we cannot change our traditions, history and faith’, the hierarch of the Russian Church stressed.
- Patriarch Kirill condemns cartoons of Prophet Muhammad 26 January 2015, 18:45
- Over two thirds of Russians aware of Charlie Hebdo attack - poll 26 January 2015, 17:08
- Church torched in Babi Yar 26 January 2015, 16:40
- Some 3,000 strong protest in Jalal-Abad against Muhammad caricatures 26 January 2015, 14:47
- Roskomnadzor issues warning to newspaper RBC for publishing images offensive to Muslims 26 January 2015, 12:10
- Peskov would like "Leviathan" movie to be released in Russia 26 January 2015, 10:06
- Duma calls on journalists not to incite religious hatred 26 January 2015, 10:05
- Warsaw's stance insults memory of Auschwitz liberators - FJCR head 23 January 2015, 13:17
- Russia could be one of world's last civilizations - Church official 23 January 2015, 10:16
- Dagestan leader slams insults to Muslims' religious feelings 23 January 2015, 10:05
- Russia needs to revive Soviet-era sense of solidarity - Patriarch Kirill 22 January 2015, 19:11
- Russian political parties must not destroy basic values - patriarch Kirill 22 January 2015, 19:01
- Russian bishop blasts child euthanasia, abortions 22 January 2015, 18:13
- Lavrov considers caricatures on religious topics tasteless 22 January 2015, 10:44
- Church will support fight against nationalism and Nazism - Patriarch 22 January 2015, 10:19
- U.S., French, Israeli flags burned during Baku protest against Muhammad cartoons 21 January 2015, 18:37
- Russian Church expresses solidarity with Muslims who protested in Grozny 21 January 2015, 10:03
- Bishkek rally demands ban on Prophet Muhammad cartoons 20 January 2015, 13:53
- Israeli court orders priest Grozovsky extradition to Russia, defense planning to appeal 19 January 2015, 18:02
- Body of Georgian priest killed in fire on Norman Atlantic ferry taken to Georgia 19 January 2015, 17:00
- Over 1 million people take part in rally protesting cartoons of Prophet Muhammad held in Grozny 19 January 2015, 14:50
- Moscow Muslims see no sense in holding anti-caricature protest 19 January 2015, 10:08
- Russian lawmaker wants budget funding recovered from Leviathan film director 19 January 2015, 10:05
- Georgian Orthodox Church condemns Prophet Muhammad caricatures 19 January 2015, 10:04
- Some 15,000 rally in Ingushetia against cartoons of Prophet Muhammad 19 January 2015, 10:03
- Moscow officials reject application to hold demo against religious insults 19 January 2015, 10:01
- Foreign Ministry: Over 800 of Russians fighting for ISIL 16 January 2015, 17:43
- Roskomnadzor: publication of cartoons on religious issues may be classed of violation of law 16 January 2015, 16:45
- Every tenth Russian to participate in Epiphany bathing 16 January 2015, 14:25
- Head of Ingushetia: publication of cartoons of Prophet Muhammad should be classed as extremism 16 January 2015, 10:01