05 September 2006, 14:47
North Caucasus ruling bishop insists on need to build church at site of Beslan tragedy
Moscow, September 5, Interfax - Bishop Feofan of Stavropol and Vladikavkaz has confirmed the wish of the Beslan people to build an Orthodox church at site of the tragedy.
‘The mothers whose children were either injured or killed when the school in Beslan was captured have met and voted. By an overwhelming majority they have decided to build an Orthodox church at site of the tragedy’, the bishop said to Interfax on Tuesday.
He noted that the collection of signatures was resumed and ‘an overwhelming majority is in favour of the construction of a church’.
‘If anyone dares claim that 70% of the victims of the Beslan tragedy were Muslims, it is a falsification. Everybody says unequivocally the majority of them were Christians’, the bishop said.
He also stressed that the question whether a church should be built at site of the tragedy ‘has never been an apple of discord and the claims that there should be no church there are morbid’.
Earlier the co-chairman of the Council of Muftis in Russia, Nafigullah Ashirov, criticized the idea of building an Orthodox church at the site of the Beslan tragedy, accusing the Moscow Patriarchate of lobbying its ‘corporate interests’. He also claimed some 70% of the victims in Beslan were Muslims.
Bishop Feofan recalled that on September 2 he baptized about one thousand people at the convent near Alagir in North Ossetia.
‘That was an answer to the question about the Ossetians’ attitude to Orthodoxy. Still, the Ossetian roots are basically Orthodox. It is predominantly an Orthodox republic and the majority should be heeded’, the agency’s interlocutor added.
‘Such is the history of our country. Should then a mosque be put in place of the Cathedral of the Dormition in Moscow? We live in Russia and have respect for our Muslim brothers, but we know that Russia is predominantly an Orthodox country, and we cannot change our traditions, history and faith’, the hierarch of the Russian Church stressed.
- Hegumen of a Moscow monastery together with divers searches for drowned churches in the Rybinsk Reservoir 28 February 2017, 17:06
- Moldovan president declines invitation to take part in sexual minorities march 27 February 2017, 10:05
- Georgian Patriarchate not commenting on firing of patriarch's secretary, head of security detail 27 February 2017, 10:00
- Rights of deacon Mamaladze accused of murder breached - Georgian president 22 February 2017, 16:52
- Over 200 Muslim leaders died for promoting true Islam in the North Caucasus - Pshihachev 22 February 2017, 11:04
- Patriarch Kirill calls Vitaly Churkin outstanding diplomate selflessly devoted to his duty 22 February 2017, 10:43
- Georgian prosecutors, Church could probe arrested deacon jointly - Patriarch of Georgia 21 February 2017, 19:12
- Lavrov on Kiev's decision to block the UN Security Council's statement on the death of Churkin: it's not Christian 21 February 2017, 14:25
- Renowned elder Archimandrite Kirill (Pavlov) passes away 21 February 2017, 13:28
- Priest of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church attacked in the Odessa Region 20 February 2017, 17:07
- Patriarch Kirill urges to redeem sins of revolution building up a just society 20 February 2017, 17:04
- Russian Church accuses opponents of St. Isaac's Cathedral handover of attempting to "rock the boat" 20 February 2017, 10:54
- Orthodox Church warns Russians against militaristic rhetoric 20 February 2017, 10:01
- Russian Muslims to take care of Syrian refugees and their school in Lebanon 17 February 2017, 17:12
- Georgian patriarch says he has known Deacon Mamaladze for a long time, calls his detention 'strange' 17 February 2017, 10:18
- Before the fight in USA Fyodor Yemelyanenko confesses he fights to glorify Christ 16 February 2017, 16:13
- Georgian patriarch to return to Georgia after surgery in Germany on February 20 16 February 2017, 15:02
- Detained on accusation of attempted murder deacon Mamaladze claims he is not guilty - ombudsman 15 February 2017, 13:50
- Israel to discuss anti-Semitism definition with Russia to avoid interpretations of word's meaning in future - Israeli ambassador 15 February 2017, 10:07
- Israeli ambassador in Moscow hopes Russian leadership to prevent acts of antisemitism in Russia 15 February 2017, 10:00
- Ilia II feeling fine after operation in Germany - Georgian Patriarchate 14 February 2017, 15:47
- The Moscow Patriarchate welcomes measures on banning state funding of abortions in the USA 14 February 2017, 11:53
- Cross missing at the Moldavian flag during its president's visit to Iran resulted in a scandal 13 February 2017, 19:13
- Georgian president concerned over reports of plotted assassination of Georgian Orthodox Church's high-ranking clergyman 13 February 2017, 19:11
- Pilots from Admiral Kuznetsov prayed and took blessing before combat missions – priest 13 February 2017, 16:07
- High-ranking clergyman arrested in Tbilisi on attempted murder charge 13 February 2017, 15:55
- Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia urges to settle the question with St. Isaac Cathedral in compliance with the law 13 February 2017, 14:23
- One more UOC church seized in Ukraine 13 February 2017, 11:29
- The Ukrainian Orthodox Church compares persecutions of Orthodox believers in Ukraine to Soviet atheist era 13 February 2017, 10:00
- Sochi rabbi at risk of deportation intends to acquire Russian citizenship 10 February 2017, 18:47