05 September 2006, 14:47
North Caucasus ruling bishop insists on need to build church at site of Beslan tragedy
Moscow, September 5, Interfax - Bishop Feofan of Stavropol and Vladikavkaz has confirmed the wish of the Beslan people to build an Orthodox church at site of the tragedy.
‘The mothers whose children were either injured or killed when the school in Beslan was captured have met and voted. By an overwhelming majority they have decided to build an Orthodox church at site of the tragedy’, the bishop said to Interfax on Tuesday.
He noted that the collection of signatures was resumed and ‘an overwhelming majority is in favour of the construction of a church’.
‘If anyone dares claim that 70% of the victims of the Beslan tragedy were Muslims, it is a falsification. Everybody says unequivocally the majority of them were Christians’, the bishop said.
He also stressed that the question whether a church should be built at site of the tragedy ‘has never been an apple of discord and the claims that there should be no church there are morbid’.
Earlier the co-chairman of the Council of Muftis in Russia, Nafigullah Ashirov, criticized the idea of building an Orthodox church at the site of the Beslan tragedy, accusing the Moscow Patriarchate of lobbying its ‘corporate interests’. He also claimed some 70% of the victims in Beslan were Muslims.
Bishop Feofan recalled that on September 2 he baptized about one thousand people at the convent near Alagir in North Ossetia.
‘That was an answer to the question about the Ossetians’ attitude to Orthodoxy. Still, the Ossetian roots are basically Orthodox. It is predominantly an Orthodox republic and the majority should be heeded’, the agency’s interlocutor added.
‘Such is the history of our country. Should then a mosque be put in place of the Cathedral of the Dormition in Moscow? We live in Russia and have respect for our Muslim brothers, but we know that Russia is predominantly an Orthodox country, and we cannot change our traditions, history and faith’, the hierarch of the Russian Church stressed.
- Salekhard administration bans gay pride parade on Polar Circle 20 January 2017, 11:53
- Divers discover a Douglas and three air bombs of World War II when preparing to Epiphany bathing in the Black Sea 20 January 2017, 11:37
- Project of the Moscow Tolerance Center to 2018 World Cup presented in Davos 20 January 2017, 11:05
- Churches belonging to Moscow Patriarchate in Ukraine attacked 13 times over past year 19 January 2017, 15:45
- Arctic Ocean sanctified in northern Yakutia in Epiphany night 19 January 2017, 11:52
- Over 1.8 mln people took part in Epiphany bathing in Russia 19 January 2017, 11:24
- Russian Orthodox Church clergy to sanctify waters of two oceans for Epiphany 18 January 2017, 18:12
- Hajj quota enlarged by more than third for Uzbek Muslims 18 January 2017, 13:07
- Arc containing relics of saints who died for faith under Soviets to be carried across Russia to mark 100th anniversary of October Revolution 18 January 2017, 13:06
- Patriarch Kirill caught cold and won't participate in Epiphany celebrations 17 January 2017, 18:56
- Russian Orthodox Church will actively participate in restoring Syrian shrines 17 January 2017, 15:46
- FJCR outraged by televiewers' vote, who called ISIL supporter "Person of the Week" 16 January 2017, 18:11
- Moscow Patriarchate church in Kiev pelted with Molotov cocktails 16 January 2017, 15:29
- Russian Orthodox Church Outside Russia head to take pilgrimage to Russia on occasion of 100th anniversary of October Revolution 11 January 2017, 16:35
- Abortions banned for one day in the Yaroslavl Region to commemorate the Bethlehem babies 11 January 2017, 15:35
- Patriarch Kirill invited to Syria 09 January 2017, 16:36
- Azerbaijan has no plans to join Islamic military bloc so far 09 January 2017, 14:41
- Patriarch Kirill to visit Hungary 09 January 2017, 10:57
- Putin's Christmas message notes Russian Orthodox Church's role in preserving civil peace, accord 09 January 2017, 10:50
- Lenin should be buried, but the most important is not to inflict harm, the Russian church official believes 06 January 2017, 16:22
- Church will release results of the Yekaterinburg relics expertise by the second quarter of 2017 06 January 2017, 16:20
- Moscow Center of Tolerance carries out international children action to back up migrants 06 January 2017, 15:54
- Rabbi Lazar condemns Soviet past, calls to bury body of Lenin 06 January 2017, 15:53
- Two Israelis suspected of intentionally damaging Jesus on Cross statue in Ukraine's Uman 03 January 2017, 21:30
- The Russian Church suggests fining for abusive language in public places 30 December 2016, 14:44
- Patriarch Kirill believes the word 'celebrations' inappropriate to 100th anniversary of October revolt 30 December 2016, 13:00
- Changes that took place in 2016 withdrew a threat menacing the world - Patriarch Kirill 30 December 2016, 12:24
- Doctors recommend the Georgian Patriarch to go to Germany for treatment, but he refuses 29 December 2016, 19:05
- Ukrainian government promotes interests of sexual minorities in spite of church protests 29 December 2016, 17:14
- Rabbi Lazar makes offer to Putin to set up tolerance centers in other Russian cities along with Moscow 28 December 2016, 18:48