05 September 2006, 14:47
North Caucasus ruling bishop insists on need to build church at site of Beslan tragedy
Moscow, September 5, Interfax - Bishop Feofan of Stavropol and Vladikavkaz has confirmed the wish of the Beslan people to build an Orthodox church at site of the tragedy.
‘The mothers whose children were either injured or killed when the school in Beslan was captured have met and voted. By an overwhelming majority they have decided to build an Orthodox church at site of the tragedy’, the bishop said to Interfax on Tuesday.
He noted that the collection of signatures was resumed and ‘an overwhelming majority is in favour of the construction of a church’.
‘If anyone dares claim that 70% of the victims of the Beslan tragedy were Muslims, it is a falsification. Everybody says unequivocally the majority of them were Christians’, the bishop said.
He also stressed that the question whether a church should be built at site of the tragedy ‘has never been an apple of discord and the claims that there should be no church there are morbid’.
Earlier the co-chairman of the Council of Muftis in Russia, Nafigullah Ashirov, criticized the idea of building an Orthodox church at the site of the Beslan tragedy, accusing the Moscow Patriarchate of lobbying its ‘corporate interests’. He also claimed some 70% of the victims in Beslan were Muslims.
Bishop Feofan recalled that on September 2 he baptized about one thousand people at the convent near Alagir in North Ossetia.
‘That was an answer to the question about the Ossetians’ attitude to Orthodoxy. Still, the Ossetian roots are basically Orthodox. It is predominantly an Orthodox republic and the majority should be heeded’, the agency’s interlocutor added.
‘Such is the history of our country. Should then a mosque be put in place of the Cathedral of the Dormition in Moscow? We live in Russia and have respect for our Muslim brothers, but we know that Russia is predominantly an Orthodox country, and we cannot change our traditions, history and faith’, the hierarch of the Russian Church stressed.
- African patriarch predicts great future to Orthodoxy on his continent 08 December 2017, 10:59
- OSCE should take principled stance on discrimination against Christians in Middle East, effectively defend their rights - Lavrov 08 December 2017, 10:21
- Over 120 churches were destroyed in Syria during the war - Patriarch John of Antioch 07 December 2017, 18:08
- Patriarch Kirill pays special attention to inter-church relations between Russia and the USA on the background of complicated relations between the countries 07 December 2017, 17:53
- Russia may attend urgent OIC summit on Jerusalem as observer 07 December 2017, 15:10
- Chief rabbi of Russia calls Trump's decision to recognize Jerusalem as Israel's capital the restoration of justice 07 December 2017, 12:02
- Patriarch Kirill invites American pilgrims to Russia 07 December 2017, 10:14
- Patriarch of Antioch thanks Lavrov for Russia's efforts to settle Syrian crisis 05 December 2017, 17:39
- Patriarch Kirill hopes church division in Ukraine can be overcome 05 December 2017, 11:29
- Russia to help Christian, Muslim, Jewish refugees to return to Syria - Putin 05 December 2017, 10:41
- Head of "Kiev Patriarchate" ready to meet with Patriarch Kirill 04 December 2017, 11:42
- Moscow Patriarchate still open to dialogue with Filaret Denisenko - spokesperson 02 December 2017, 15:41
- Putin expects Russian Orthodox Church to continue cooperation with state 02 December 2017, 11:59
- Autocephaly is goal of Kiev Patriarchate - Filaret 01 December 2017, 19:00
- Anathema doesn't cause Filaret concern 01 December 2017, 18:56
- Putin hopes that Russian Orthodox Church will help intl efforts to revive Syria 01 December 2017, 18:23
- Old Believers of Moscow Patriarchate ask for own bishop 01 December 2017, 18:18
- Putin hopes that Russian Orthodox Church will help intl efforts to revive Syria 01 December 2017, 18:16
- Russian Jews insist that tsar killing not be called 'ritual killing' 01 December 2017, 18:12
- Dialogue on reconciliation with Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Kiev Patriarchate was initiated by Russian Orthodox Church through its Church Abroad 01 December 2017, 17:46
- Filaret: Ukrainian church will never go back to Moscow Patriarchate 01 December 2017, 17:41
- Metropolitan Hilarion denies Filaret's letter to Kirill written on Moscow Patriarchate's initiative 01 December 2017, 15:00
- There are no plans for meeting between Patriarch Kirill and head of "Kiev patriarchate" - Metropolitan Hilarion 01 December 2017, 14:58
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church denies that Filaret's letter to Patriarch Kirill contained request for autocephaly 01 December 2017, 14:55
- "Kiev Patriarchate"'s spokesperson rejects info on Filaret's repentance letter with Russian Orthodox Church's Bishops' Council 30 November 2017, 22:17
- "Kiev Patriarchate"'s leader Filaret asks Patriarch Kirill to pardon him, bring him back to church's fold 30 November 2017, 22:13
- Putin to deliver speech at Bishops' Council on Friday 30 November 2017, 17:49
- Tashkent imam proposes death penalty for extremists 30 November 2017, 11:41
- Putin discusses Orthodox Church's contribution to consolidation of society, ethnic peace 30 November 2017, 10:20
- Russian Church will help Syria all it can with post-war problems - Patriarch Kirill 30 November 2017, 10:18