05 September 2006, 14:47
North Caucasus ruling bishop insists on need to build church at site of Beslan tragedy
Moscow, September 5, Interfax - Bishop Feofan of Stavropol and Vladikavkaz has confirmed the wish of the Beslan people to build an Orthodox church at site of the tragedy.
‘The mothers whose children were either injured or killed when the school in Beslan was captured have met and voted. By an overwhelming majority they have decided to build an Orthodox church at site of the tragedy’, the bishop said to Interfax on Tuesday.
He noted that the collection of signatures was resumed and ‘an overwhelming majority is in favour of the construction of a church’.
‘If anyone dares claim that 70% of the victims of the Beslan tragedy were Muslims, it is a falsification. Everybody says unequivocally the majority of them were Christians’, the bishop said.
He also stressed that the question whether a church should be built at site of the tragedy ‘has never been an apple of discord and the claims that there should be no church there are morbid’.
Earlier the co-chairman of the Council of Muftis in Russia, Nafigullah Ashirov, criticized the idea of building an Orthodox church at the site of the Beslan tragedy, accusing the Moscow Patriarchate of lobbying its ‘corporate interests’. He also claimed some 70% of the victims in Beslan were Muslims.
Bishop Feofan recalled that on September 2 he baptized about one thousand people at the convent near Alagir in North Ossetia.
‘That was an answer to the question about the Ossetians’ attitude to Orthodoxy. Still, the Ossetian roots are basically Orthodox. It is predominantly an Orthodox republic and the majority should be heeded’, the agency’s interlocutor added.
‘Such is the history of our country. Should then a mosque be put in place of the Cathedral of the Dormition in Moscow? We live in Russia and have respect for our Muslim brothers, but we know that Russia is predominantly an Orthodox country, and we cannot change our traditions, history and faith’, the hierarch of the Russian Church stressed.
- Splashes of religiosity characterize war years in the USSR, the Patriarchate official says 28 April 2015, 10:10
- World leaders should become allies following Stalin's, Churchill's and Roosevelt's example, Russian Church official believes 27 April 2015, 17:23
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church against renaming the Victory Day 27 April 2015, 13:47
- Russian Church: Western calls for religious neutrality of state play into the hands of chaos scenario 24 April 2015, 17:51
- Yerevan memorial complex hosting service for Armenian genocide victims 24 April 2015, 10:25
- Armenian Church canonizes victims of Ottoman genocide 24 April 2015, 10:00
- Church official urges vets to focus on animal's health, not profit 23 April 2015, 12:14
- Church of Moscow Patriarchate set on fire in Babi Yar again 23 April 2015, 10:00
- Lavrov: Islamic State is Russia's main enemy now 22 April 2015, 12:51
- FSB officer claims existence of "prison Jamaats" in Russia 22 April 2015, 12:06
- Innocent people suffer from sanctions between Russia and West - Pope of Rome 22 April 2015, 10:02
- Three jailed for life over murder of prominent religious leader in Dagestan 21 April 2015, 12:07
- Russian patriarch blames IS for Islamic demonization 21 April 2015, 10:03
- Patriarch Kirill calls on Christian leaders to unite over killing, intimidation of Christians in Mideast 21 April 2015, 10:02
- Good Russia-Germany relations important for whole world - Patriarch Kirill 21 April 2015, 10:00
- Lavrov hopes that the Orthodox Christians in Ukraine "will not allow anyone to manipulate them as a pawn in someone else's game" 20 April 2015, 18:18
- Church hopes for creation of Orthodox banking in Russia 20 April 2015, 17:48
- Armenian Church to canonize all victims of Armenian genocide 20 April 2015, 17:45
- Two Mormon missionaries detained near St. Petersburg 20 April 2015, 10:00
- Russia's top intelligence officer warns of spread of radical Islam in Middle East and Asia 17 April 2015, 11:31
- Islamic State a challenge to stability of state system in Middle East - Pakistani expert 17 April 2015, 10:26
- Patriarch Kirill expresses concerns about crimes against Christians in Middle East 17 April 2015, 10:00
- Putin hopes conflict caused by Pope's statement on genocide of Armenians can be resolved (updated) 16 April 2015, 17:28
- Not enough is being done to protect Christians in Middle East - Putin 16 April 2015, 17:17
- Some counties that sponsor jihadist groups are re-directing them to Caucasus, Central Asia - Iranian defense minister 16 April 2015, 16:06
- Putin is concerned about presence of Russian citizens among ISIS members 16 April 2015, 15:24
- Golden iPhones with Rublev's Trinity at the backside for sale in Russia 15 April 2015, 18:40
- Patriarch Kirill consecrates a foundation stone of the church to commemorate Special Service officers 15 April 2015, 18:14
- Kazakh teenager, his partner convicted over plans to join ISIL 15 April 2015, 12:34
- Abbas accuses of attempts to Judaize East Jerusalem 14 April 2015, 17:10