05 September 2006, 14:47
North Caucasus ruling bishop insists on need to build church at site of Beslan tragedy
Moscow, September 5, Interfax - Bishop Feofan of Stavropol and Vladikavkaz has confirmed the wish of the Beslan people to build an Orthodox church at site of the tragedy.
‘The mothers whose children were either injured or killed when the school in Beslan was captured have met and voted. By an overwhelming majority they have decided to build an Orthodox church at site of the tragedy’, the bishop said to Interfax on Tuesday.
He noted that the collection of signatures was resumed and ‘an overwhelming majority is in favour of the construction of a church’.
‘If anyone dares claim that 70% of the victims of the Beslan tragedy were Muslims, it is a falsification. Everybody says unequivocally the majority of them were Christians’, the bishop said.
He also stressed that the question whether a church should be built at site of the tragedy ‘has never been an apple of discord and the claims that there should be no church there are morbid’.
Earlier the co-chairman of the Council of Muftis in Russia, Nafigullah Ashirov, criticized the idea of building an Orthodox church at the site of the Beslan tragedy, accusing the Moscow Patriarchate of lobbying its ‘corporate interests’. He also claimed some 70% of the victims in Beslan were Muslims.
Bishop Feofan recalled that on September 2 he baptized about one thousand people at the convent near Alagir in North Ossetia.
‘That was an answer to the question about the Ossetians’ attitude to Orthodoxy. Still, the Ossetian roots are basically Orthodox. It is predominantly an Orthodox republic and the majority should be heeded’, the agency’s interlocutor added.
‘Such is the history of our country. Should then a mosque be put in place of the Cathedral of the Dormition in Moscow? We live in Russia and have respect for our Muslim brothers, but we know that Russia is predominantly an Orthodox country, and we cannot change our traditions, history and faith’, the hierarch of the Russian Church stressed.
- Patriarch Kirill sends early icon of Saint Nicholas to Pope Francis 23 May 2017, 15:19
- Investigators verifying media reports on possible harassment of LGBT community in Chechnya – ombudsman 23 May 2017, 13:15
- Religious believers disrupt gay march in Chisinau 22 May 2017, 11:53
- Patriarch Kirill believes Christians of different confessions will unite in one Church again 22 May 2017, 11:08
- Patriarch Kirill calls St. Nicholas the Wonderworker saint number one for Russia 22 May 2017, 11:03
- Thousands believers met St. Nicholas relics in the Cathedral pf Christ the Savior 22 May 2017, 10:44
- St. Nicholas' relics delivered to Moscow 21 May 2017, 17:08
- Head of Belarusian Orthodox Church addresses Poroshenko regarding 'anti-Orthodox' laws 19 May 2017, 19:00
- Georgian priest accused of attempted murder refuses to attend his trial behind closed doors 19 May 2017, 17:18
- Ukrainian Foreign Ministry denies that ambassador summoned to Vatican regarding church bills 19 May 2017, 16:06
- Ukrainian ambassador summoned to Vatican regarding Rada's intention to pass bills on status of church organizations 19 May 2017, 14:49
- Patriarch Kirill asks not to give him flowers on his name day, but to fundraise for suffering Syrian people 18 May 2017, 18:38
- Metropolitan of Kiev and All Ukraine thanks participants in prayer at Verkhovnaya Rada building 18 May 2017, 18:37
- Kremlin says disrespect for interests of Russian Orthodox Church in Ukraine unacceptable 18 May 2017, 17:18
- Moldovan president objects to LGBT march in Chisinau 18 May 2017, 16:27
- Blocking of Russian online media in Ukraine, attacks on Church suggest that Kiev is under influence of radicals – Lavrov 18 May 2017, 16:25
- Ukrainian parliament not to hear church bills on Thursday - Poroshenko Bloc 18 May 2017, 12:22
- Priests, flock of Ukrainian Orthodox Church rally in front of Ukrainian parliament against bill on 'special status' of their church 18 May 2017, 12:17
- World Council of Churches head calls on Poroshenko to withdraw bills "detrimental" to Ukrainian Orthodox Church 18 May 2017, 12:04
- Russia - Islamic World group seeking consultative status with UN 18 May 2017, 10:33
- Cathedrals of the Chudov Monastery won't be restored in Kremlin 17 May 2017, 18:41
- Patriarch Kirill calls for prevention of adoption in Ukraine of laws aimed against Ukrainian Orthodox Church 17 May 2017, 18:22
- Putin pledges Russia's support to Islamic world in war on terrorism, settlement of regional crises 17 May 2017, 11:12
- LGBT organizations' ICC lawsuit attempt to pressure Kadyrov - source close to Chechen govt 17 May 2017, 10:26
- Moscow court orders expulsion from Russia of rabbi with no work permit 17 May 2017, 10:24
- Ombudsman submits Novaya Gazeta's info on persecution of gays in Chechnya to Investigative Committee 16 May 2017, 18:52
- Schismatics disrupted the divine service in a canonical church and broke up the altar entry in Western Ukraine 16 May 2017, 16:21
- State Duma to set up council on culture, religion, interethnic relations 16 May 2017, 11:49
- Holy relics of St. Nicholas the Wonderworker brought from Italy expected to be placed in Alexander Nevsky Lavra in St. Pete 16 May 2017, 10:01
- Russian spiritual cultural center to open in Strasbourg 15 May 2017, 15:15