06 September 2006, 13:02
Russian Church urges not to confuse Basic Orthodox Culture with religious instruction
Moscow, September 6, Interfax - The Moscow Patriarchate points out that Basic Orthodox Culture is a culturological discipline, not a religious subject and stresses the need to train teachers for it.
‘In this course, Orthodoxy will be studied as a basis of Russian culture. Is it superfluous for any educated person to know about Andrew Rublev’s Trinity or the horseman depicted on the emblem of Moscow, or to understand what exactly Ivanov painted in his Christ’s Appearance to the People?’ asks Rev. Mikhail Dudko, responsible for church-society relations in the Moscow Patriarchate department for external church relations.
He said the same can be said about a study of iconography, architecture and church music, Argumenty I Fakty weekly writes on Wednesday.
‘Indeed, these are components of what was to become the Russian culture, and it is world renowned in these fields!’ the priest stressed.
At the same time he pointed to the problem of teaching the new discipline and added that ‘there is something to work at’ in this field.
‘I am seriously concerned over the problem of teaching staff. I think the persons whose services should be enlisted are graduates of departments of theology in secular universities and specialists who have graduated from Orthodox educational institutions and even clergy. Why not, if religious propaganda is not carried out in class?’ Father Mikhail remarked.
He also said there is a decade-old experience of teaching Basic Orthodox Culture in some regions in Russia and nowhere this discipline has caused interfaith tension and ‘both schoolchildren and their parents welcome it’.
- Russian Orthodox Church considering accepting Alexandria clergy who don't want to recognize Ukrainian schism 24 September 2021, 17:40
- Patriarch of Constantinople who visited Kiev has no right to speak on behalf of Orthodox world - Russian Church 24 September 2021, 17:24
- Russian Prosecutor General's Office designates two Scientology organizations undesirable 24 September 2021, 16:58
- Five Jehovah's Witnesses convicted in Russia's Volgograd Region 24 September 2021, 10:10
- Court dismisses appeal against forcible treatment of Yakutia shaman Gabyshev 23 September 2021, 15:22
- FJCR calls on Ukrainian authorities to expand definition of anti-Semitism 23 September 2021, 15:18
- Krasny Pakhar Jamaat added to Russian list of terrorist groups 22 September 2021, 16:29
- Ukraine adopts law on fight against anti-Semitism 22 September 2021, 13:38
- Afghanistan must form inclusive govt - SCO summit declaration 17 September 2021, 17:12
- Patriarch Kirill doubts legitimacy of authority of Patriarch Bartholomew of Constantinople 16 September 2021, 16:38
- Jehovah's Witness jailed for 3 years in Kostroma 08 September 2021, 10:00
- Jehovah's Witness from Pskov Region gets suspended sentence 08 September 2021, 10:00
- Putin notes contribution of Jewish religious organizations to interethnic peace, accord 06 September 2021, 14:26
- Metropolitan Hilarion compared Patriarch Bartholomew to a robber and a thief 06 September 2021, 10:52
- Russian Church concerned about the fate of Christians in Afghanistan 06 September 2021, 10:43
- Supporters of radical Islam held in Tula 06 September 2021, 10:36
- Defrocked priest Sergy's supporter remanded in custody – court 02 September 2021, 18:13
- More than 5.5 thousand clerics and monks of the Russian Orthodox Church in Russia have been ill with coronavirus 02 September 2021, 14:36
- More than 2.5 million people have visited the Jewish Museum in Moscow during its nine years of operation 02 September 2021, 14:31
- Lithuanian president promises not to allow LGBT history to be taught in schools 02 September 2021, 14:25
- Associate of former schema-hegumen Sergy detained in hatred fanning case 01 September 2021, 15:26
- Complaints about threats from Male State community should be processed by law enforcement agencies - Peskov 31 August 2021, 14:57
- Taliban to present themselves as less radical to get investments – expert 31 August 2021, 13:45
- Russian Justice Ministry adds 4 Ukrainian and Latvian religious movements to list of groups undesirable in Russia 30 August 2021, 18:12
- The church historian called the results of Patriarch Bartholomew's visit to Ukraine deplorable 30 August 2021, 16:04
- More than 500 Orthodox churches to be built in Moscow 30 August 2021, 11:07
- Russian authorities to check the construction of a closed "halal" village near Moscow 30 August 2021, 10:49
- Patriarch Kirill calls the visit of the Constantinople primate to Kiev sinful 30 August 2021, 10:40
- Organizers of Jehovah's Witnesses cell detained in Moscow 26 August 2021, 15:55
- Patriarch Bartholomew doesn't attend celebrations on 30th anniversary of Ukraine's independence at Kiev's St. Sophia Cathedral 24 August 2021, 17:51