06 September 2006, 17:14
Opponents of Basic Orthodox Culture demand legalization of marijuana
Moscow, September 6, Interfax - Russian Radicals, a social movement that organized on Tuesday a rally against teaching Basic Orthodox Culture in schools, seeks legalization of marijuana.
‘The so-called light drugs should be legalized and put under the control of the state which should take this trade from the drug traffickers, get it out from the black market, that is, take the marijuana traffic from school toilets’, Nikolay Khramov, secretary of the movement, said in a talk with an Interfax reporter during the rally.
In his opinion, the so-called light drugs should be made subject to the same regulating norms as those existing today ‘for much more dangerous substances as compared to cannabis, such as vodka and tobacco’.
The lesser danger coming from cannabis, Khamov noted, ‘is confirmed anyway by a number of researches’, and the Russian Radicals movement ‘tries to spread information about it’ through several websites.
‘Struggle for legalization of light drugs is one of the areas of our work’, the leader of the organization stressed.
Commenting on the teaching of Basic Orthodox Culture in Russian schools, he stated that ‘religion in any of its form cannot be taught in public school or financed from public funds, whether federal or regional. It should be taught in private or church schools where parents are willing to pay for it’.
At the same time, Khramov recognizes the need for teaching ‘a history of world culture, including its religious aspect but not from a religious point of view. It should not reflect the attitude of either the patriarchate or Moslem board or synagogue or anyone. It should be a secular course’.
‘The problem is that Basic Orthodox Culture is not a secular course. Most probably, the ill-fated textbook by Borodina will be used in teaching it and it is already clear’, Khramov is certain ‘that the teaching will be like this: Love and fear the parsons, the authorities and the czar!’
- Patriarch Kirill diagnosed with Covid-19 30 September 2022, 12:41
- State Duma Council to consider consultations on possible reintroduction of death penalty 27 September 2022, 20:44
- Patriarch Kirill calls for spiritual mobilization 27 September 2022, 15:34
- Russia's FSB reports detention a Muslim recruter in Moscow area 27 September 2022, 11:58
- Russian Church warns the West against "slipping into a bestial state" 23 September 2022, 12:11
- Patriarch Kirill declares the futility of attempts to intimidate the Russians 19 September 2022, 14:04
- Religious leaders call for ending conflicts, bloodshed in the world at congress in Nur-Sultan 15 September 2022, 14:49
- Some 10,000 believers attending papal mass in Kazakh capital 14 September 2022, 17:16
- Russian Supreme Court brands as terrorist, bans Islamic Renaissance Party of Tajikistan 14 September 2022, 11:42
- Pontiff urges religious leaders to help settle conflicts through dialogue 14 September 2022, 11:41
- Patriarch Kirill: attempts to build world order without relying on moral values led to fierce confrontation 14 September 2022, 11:40
- Bishop Nicholas of Manhattan elected new First Hierarch of Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia 13 September 2022, 20:42
- Catholicos of All Armenians urges world to react to Azerbaijan's actions 13 September 2022, 15:42
- Pope Francis arrives in Kazakhstan's capital 13 September 2022, 15:38
- Russian State Duma may hold hearings on LGBT propaganda ban in Oct-Nov 13 September 2022, 14:50
- Latvian Orthodox Church chooses not to argue with govt about its status 12 September 2022, 10:30
- Patriarch Kirill calls Elizabeth II symbol of sustainability of centuries-old traditions for entire Europe 09 September 2022, 13:02
- Russian Orthodox Church on declaration of Latvian Church's autocephaly by parliament: they surpassed Middle Ages 08 September 2022, 21:45
- Latvian Saeima endorses law on independence of Latvian Orthodox Church 08 September 2022, 19:06
- WCC refuses to accuse Russian Orthodox Church despite pressure 08 September 2022, 17:03
- Court in Primorye overrules order committing Yakutia shaman Gabyshev to hospital 08 September 2022, 10:31
- Russian ombudsman calls for moratorium on death penalty in DPR 07 September 2022, 14:42
- Patriarch Kirill highlights Russia's special role in modern history 06 September 2022, 17:35
- Riga seeking independence of Latvian Orthodox Church from Moscow Patriarchate (updated) 05 September 2022, 17:44
- Russian Orthodox Church outraged by interference of Latvian secular authorities in church affairs 05 September 2022, 15:32
- World Council of Churches refuses to isolate Russian Orthodox Church delegation at its assembly 01 September 2022, 21:32
- Russian Orthodox Church accuses German president of putting pressure on World Council of Churches 01 September 2022, 14:23
- Russian Orthodox Church views Kyiv's sanctions on Patriarch Kirill as PR campaign 31 August 2022, 17:25
- Fines for LGBT propaganda to be from 50,000 to 200,000 rubles for citizens, foreigners may be deported from Russia 31 August 2022, 16:42
- Ukrainian govt approves proposed sanctions against Patriarch Kirill 31 August 2022, 09:56