22 June 2005, 17:44
Metropolitan Kirill told Cardinal Kasper about the inadmissibility of transferring of the chair of the Ukrainian Greek Catholics to Kiev
Moscow, June 22, Interfax - At the meeting between Metropolitan Kirill of Smolensk and Kaliningrad and Walter Cardinal Kasper in Moscow on Wednesday the Russian Orthodox Church posed a question before the Vatican of the inadmissibility of Greek Catholic expansion in Ukraine
As Interfax was informed about the results of this meeting in the Department for External Church Relations Department (DECR) of the Moscow Patriarchate, special attention was paid to the situation in the Ukraine.
‘The Orthodox side stated that an idea of mentioning Kiev in the title of the head of the Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church and the transfer of its chair to this city is inadmissible from the canonical, ecclesiological and pastoral points of view’, - an official DECR communiqué emphasized.
The Orthodox side is convinced that implementation of this intent of the Ukrainian Greek Catholics can become a serious impediment for the development of the Orthodox-Catholic relations, an aspiration to which was expressed by the Primates of both Churches and which is needed at present not only by the believers, but by the people of Europe and the world as well’.
Also discussed at the meeting were common actions of the Churches in the face of the challenges of the present time.
‘Understanding was expressed that in the period when the people of Europe and the world experience moral crisis, when a secular philosophy of life is aggressively imposed on them, the cooperation between the Orthodox and the Catholic Churches may become particularly important for the establishment of religious and ethic values in the life of an individual, family and society’, DECR reports.
Taking part in the talk also were DECR deputy chairman Very Reverend Vsevolod Chaplin, DECR secretary for interchristian relations Rev.Igor Vyzhanov, representative of Vatican in Moscow archbishop Antonio Mennini and a staff member of the Pontifical Council for Promoting Christian Unity Rev. Joseph Mai.
As Rev.Vsevolod Chaplin told the Interfax, the talk lasted some three hours. He noted that the Orthodox side stated its opinion on all vexed questions in no uncertain terms.
- Muslim countries can rely on Russia's support in tackling regional crises – Putin 28 July 2021, 14:01
- Court again commits Yakut shaman Gabyshev to psychiatric clinic 27 July 2021, 10:46
- Three Jehovah's Witnesses fined in Kirov 21 July 2021, 17:30
- Putin congratulates Russian Muslims on Eid al-Adha 20 July 2021, 11:20
- No one has the right to make a decision on vaccination for a person – Russian bishop 19 July 2021, 11:07
- Moscow Patriarchate will support Russian athletes in Tokyo 19 July 2021, 10:36
- Duma's Slutsky doubts impartiality of ECHR judges 16 July 2021, 21:26
- Three Jehovah's Witnesses given suspended prison sentences in Russia's Sverdlovsk Region 16 July 2021, 21:24
- Russia won't look for 'compromise' as concerns registering same-sex relations – Peskov 14 July 2021, 15:38
- ECHR judges who considered issue of same-sex marriage in Russia should resign - Duma speaker 14 July 2021, 10:05
- Russia won't follow ECHR recommendation on same-sex marriage - deputy head of Duma committee 14 July 2021, 10:03
- ECHR urges Russia to allow same-sex marriages 14 July 2021, 10:00
- Patriarch Kirill asks Mishustin to support the bill banning surrogacy for foreigners 12 July 2021, 17:49
- Mosques in Moscow to be closed to believers on Eid al-Adha 12 July 2021, 10:25
- Diplomatic missions condemn violence at Tbilisi LGBT march 05 July 2021, 18:21
- March in support of LGBT community in Tbilisi cancelled 05 July 2021, 16:53
- Opponents of LGBT community attack journalists in Tbilisi 05 July 2021, 15:49
- Georgian PM asks LGBT community to cancel march in Tbilisi 05 July 2021, 15:48
- The anti-terrorist exercises held in Kiev synagogue with Israeli ambassador 05 July 2021, 11:24
- Main threat to the traditional morality of Russians emanates from U.S., allies - national security strategy 05 July 2021, 10:05
- Radicals in Tbilisi protest against LGBT events 02 July 2021, 10:06
- A thousand churches may collapse in Russia in the next ten years 01 July 2021, 18:04
- Moscow court outlaws Eye of God Telegram bot 01 July 2021, 17:58
- Russian Church proposes to make the Day of Crimea's Reunification with Russia a national holiday 30 June 2021, 14:23
- The Russian Church speaker advises to learn politeness and self-organization from the West 30 June 2021, 14:12
- A fire elevator removed a woman who became ill from the colonnade of St. Isaac 28 June 2021, 17:44
- Plans to remove Russians from list of native peoples of Ukraine utter nonsense - Russian Orthodox Church 28 June 2021, 11:18
- Russia not to link coronavirus vaccine supply to politics and religion 24 June 2021, 18:10
- Russian Church calls for a general mobilization against coronavirus 21 June 2021, 12:08
- Russian Orthodox Church supports ban on foreigners using surrogacy services 11 June 2021, 16:32