22 June 2005, 17:44
Metropolitan Kirill told Cardinal Kasper about the inadmissibility of transferring of the chair of the Ukrainian Greek Catholics to Kiev
Moscow, June 22, Interfax - At the meeting between Metropolitan Kirill of Smolensk and Kaliningrad and Walter Cardinal Kasper in Moscow on Wednesday the Russian Orthodox Church posed a question before the Vatican of the inadmissibility of Greek Catholic expansion in Ukraine
As Interfax was informed about the results of this meeting in the Department for External Church Relations Department (DECR) of the Moscow Patriarchate, special attention was paid to the situation in the Ukraine.
‘The Orthodox side stated that an idea of mentioning Kiev in the title of the head of the Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church and the transfer of its chair to this city is inadmissible from the canonical, ecclesiological and pastoral points of view’, - an official DECR communiqué emphasized.
The Orthodox side is convinced that implementation of this intent of the Ukrainian Greek Catholics can become a serious impediment for the development of the Orthodox-Catholic relations, an aspiration to which was expressed by the Primates of both Churches and which is needed at present not only by the believers, but by the people of Europe and the world as well’.
Also discussed at the meeting were common actions of the Churches in the face of the challenges of the present time.
‘Understanding was expressed that in the period when the people of Europe and the world experience moral crisis, when a secular philosophy of life is aggressively imposed on them, the cooperation between the Orthodox and the Catholic Churches may become particularly important for the establishment of religious and ethic values in the life of an individual, family and society’, DECR reports.
Taking part in the talk also were DECR deputy chairman Very Reverend Vsevolod Chaplin, DECR secretary for interchristian relations Rev.Igor Vyzhanov, representative of Vatican in Moscow archbishop Antonio Mennini and a staff member of the Pontifical Council for Promoting Christian Unity Rev. Joseph Mai.
As Rev.Vsevolod Chaplin told the Interfax, the talk lasted some three hours. He noted that the Orthodox side stated its opinion on all vexed questions in no uncertain terms.
- Patriarch Kirill calls on believers to refrain from visiting churches amid coronavirus pandemic 29 March 2020, 20:09
- Opera singer Svetlana Kasyan hospitalized with coronavirus 28 March 2020, 18:10
- Patriarch Kirill prays for the end of pandemic 28 March 2020, 17:58
- The Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia will give Pesach food sets to all parishioners 28 March 2020, 17:55
- Case of leader of Aum Shinrikyo group in Russia sent to prosecutor 26 March 2020, 19:27
- Belarusian Orthodox Church doesn't plan to cancel Easter processions 26 March 2020, 16:25
- Russian Orthodox Church shows understanding of Sobyanin's advice not to attend service but says churches will stay open 26 March 2020, 15:08
- Sobyanin asks Muscovites not to visit religious sites 26 March 2020, 10:49
- Ukrainian monasteries will assign premises for Covid-19 patients 25 March 2020, 19:24
- FJCR closes all its synagogues in Russia 25 March 2020, 15:49
- Monastery south of Moscow thrown away dozens of dogs, police was told they miraculously flew away 24 March 2020, 17:40
- Lukashenko on coronavirus: If we get through until Orthodox Easter, we'll live 24 March 2020, 14:40
- Kyrgyz missionary contracts Covid-19 in Pakistan - Kyrgyz Foreign Ministry 23 March 2020, 14:40
- Georgian churches to let in max. 10 people in state of emergency - premier 23 March 2020, 12:29
- Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia's council postponed due to coronavirus 20 March 2020, 19:52
- Rabbi beaten to death in Dagestan 20 March 2020, 19:12
- Friday prayers cancelled in Moscow's mosques 20 March 2020, 13:33
- Tajikistan lifts ban on joint prayers in mosques 19 March 2020, 19:02
- Russian Orthodox Church does not exclude usage of plastic spoons for Communion 18 March 2020, 16:43
- Chief rabbi of Russia closes his synagogue 18 March 2020, 14:12
- Russian Synod orders increased sanitary measures at all dioceses with coronavirus 18 March 2020, 10:40
- Cathedral of Christ the Savior receives bomb threat on Tue 18 March 2020, 10:38
- Russian Church introduces exceptional measures for coronavirus prevention 17 March 2020, 19:00
- Leader of Pentecostals considers coronavirus a sign of coming Apocalypse 17 March 2020, 14:46
- Moscow's stance on Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem deals with reinstatement of Russia's property rights - Russian Embassy in Israel 17 March 2020, 11:12
- Rectors of Moscow churches will help elderly parishioners to buy and deliver food to their homes 17 March 2020, 11:08
- Russian Orthodox Church won't abolish liturgies even if coronavirus spreads 17 March 2020, 11:05
- Russian Church urges not to panic because of coronavirus 17 March 2020, 11:03
- Moldova closes churches 13 March 2020, 19:56
- Russian Jews reject idea that coronavirus sign of world ending 13 March 2020, 16:22