22 June 2005, 17:44
Metropolitan Kirill told Cardinal Kasper about the inadmissibility of transferring of the chair of the Ukrainian Greek Catholics to Kiev
Moscow, June 22, Interfax - At the meeting between Metropolitan Kirill of Smolensk and Kaliningrad and Walter Cardinal Kasper in Moscow on Wednesday the Russian Orthodox Church posed a question before the Vatican of the inadmissibility of Greek Catholic expansion in Ukraine
As Interfax was informed about the results of this meeting in the Department for External Church Relations Department (DECR) of the Moscow Patriarchate, special attention was paid to the situation in the Ukraine.
‘The Orthodox side stated that an idea of mentioning Kiev in the title of the head of the Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church and the transfer of its chair to this city is inadmissible from the canonical, ecclesiological and pastoral points of view’, - an official DECR communiqué emphasized.
The Orthodox side is convinced that implementation of this intent of the Ukrainian Greek Catholics can become a serious impediment for the development of the Orthodox-Catholic relations, an aspiration to which was expressed by the Primates of both Churches and which is needed at present not only by the believers, but by the people of Europe and the world as well’.
Also discussed at the meeting were common actions of the Churches in the face of the challenges of the present time.
‘Understanding was expressed that in the period when the people of Europe and the world experience moral crisis, when a secular philosophy of life is aggressively imposed on them, the cooperation between the Orthodox and the Catholic Churches may become particularly important for the establishment of religious and ethic values in the life of an individual, family and society’, DECR reports.
Taking part in the talk also were DECR deputy chairman Very Reverend Vsevolod Chaplin, DECR secretary for interchristian relations Rev.Igor Vyzhanov, representative of Vatican in Moscow archbishop Antonio Mennini and a staff member of the Pontifical Council for Promoting Christian Unity Rev. Joseph Mai.
As Rev.Vsevolod Chaplin told the Interfax, the talk lasted some three hours. He noted that the Orthodox side stated its opinion on all vexed questions in no uncertain terms.
- Disgraced Father Sergy planning to hold his own religious procession in Ural region on Royal Days 07 July 2020, 18:49
- Six Muslims detained in Crimea on suspicion of involvement in Hizb ut-Tahrir 07 July 2020, 16:09
- Kremlin not following situation surrounding rebellious Urals cleric Sergy - Peskov 07 July 2020, 14:55
- Court in Sverdlovsk Region fines ex-priest Sergy 90,000 rubles for spreading false information 07 July 2020, 13:52
- Hagia Sophia in Istanbul should remain symbol of interfaith accord - State Duma 07 July 2020, 10:19
- Yekaterinburg metropolitan rebukes rebellious monk Sergy for glorifying Stalin 07 July 2020, 10:17
- Patriarch Kirill calls for preserving Hagia Sophia's museum status (updated) 06 July 2020, 15:43
- Kremlin hopes Hagia Sophia's global significance, sacred value to be accounted for in determining its status in Turkey 06 July 2020, 14:03
- Russian Foreign Ministry hopes global significance of Hagia Sophia will be taken into account when determining its status 06 July 2020, 12:48
- Russian Orthodox Church calls Hagia Sophia's transformation into mosque inadmissible 06 July 2020, 10:20
- Putin states need for public monitoring of LGBT propaganda 03 July 2020, 18:27
- Metropolitan Hilarion: Hagia Sophia is heritage of entire mankind 03 July 2020, 18:25
- Russia hasn't restricted, won't restrict rights based on race, sexual orientation - Putin 03 July 2020, 17:51
- Putin comments on LGBT flag flying over U.S. embassy building in Moscow 03 July 2020, 17:46
- Church court defrocks Urals Schema-Hegumen Sergy, who cursed people who closed churches 03 July 2020, 13:09
- All members of the Jewish community in Moscow recovered from coronavirus 03 July 2020, 12:40
- Mufti Tajuddin proposes making Hagia Sophia common prayer-house for Muslims and Christians 03 July 2020, 10:09
- Duma's Tolstoy sees demonstration of LGBT flags on embassy buildings in Moscow as attempt to influence voting on constitutional amendments 02 July 2020, 12:39
- The FJCR president believes other countries to appreciate the importance of amendment about marriage as a union between a man and a woman 02 July 2020, 12:36
- Famous Transfiguration church in Kizhi to resume services after 40 years 30 June 2020, 18:04
- Filaret demands another tomos from Patriarch Bartholomew 29 June 2020, 20:59
- Russian Orthodox Church sees Ural priest's calls against participation in amendments vote as "tragicomic' 29 June 2020, 18:08
- Church court again makes no decision on behavior of Urals priest who cursed people who closed churches 29 June 2020, 10:05
- Russian Jews urges American demonstrators to peaceful dialogue 29 June 2020, 10:00
- Forced treatment of shaman Gabyshev is illegal - Memorial 25 June 2020, 21:17
- Kremlin hopes rainbow flag on U.S. embassy in Moscow drew attention of Russian Foreign Ministry 25 June 2020, 14:54
- Kusturica called Russia's chief military church personification of power, talent and faith 25 June 2020, 12:55
- Jews will never forget heroism of the Soviet Army that stopped Holocaust - FJCR president 25 June 2020, 10:08
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church Metropolitan Sofrony dies 23 June 2020, 20:12
- Leader of Tuva Buddhists dies of Covid-19 23 June 2020, 18:26