18 September 2006, 12:36
Resumption of Orthodox-Catholic dialogue will draw still nearer Churches’ positions on problems of today - Moscow Patriarchate
Moscow, September 18, Interfax - The Moscow Patriarchate counts on mutual understanding in the work of the joint commission for the Orthodox-Catholic theological dialogue, which resumes work on Monday after an interval of six years.
"The current developments in the Christian world show the proximity of the approaches of the Catholic and Orthodox Churches to many issues and a theological dialogue can serve as a foundation for their interaction," Rev. Igor Vyzhanov, secretary of the Moscow Patriarchate department for external church relations for inter-Christian relations, told Interfax.
Together with Bishop Hilarion of Vienna and Austria he will represent the Russian Orthodox Church at the joint commission session beginning in Belgrade on Monday.
The meeting will focus on a document that the coordinating committee of the commission compiled back in 1990 in Moscow.
The document deals with the issue of authority in the Church and the primacy of the Pope.
The work of the joint commission was interrupted in 2000, because the sides failed to agree on Greek Catholics.
Father Igor said that the the subject of Greek Catholics will not be the main item on the agenda of the upcoming meeting in Belgrade, but it can hardly be avoided.
"These are not talks but a meeting of theologians who assemble to discuss complex issues. Therefore, we would want to count primarily on mutual understanding so that the sides would hear each other," he said.
- Opera singer Svetlana Kasyan hospitalized with coronavirus 28 March 2020, 18:10
- Patriarch Kirill prays for the end of pandemic 28 March 2020, 17:58
- The Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia will give Pesach food sets to all parishioners 28 March 2020, 17:55
- Case of leader of Aum Shinrikyo group in Russia sent to prosecutor 26 March 2020, 19:27
- Belarusian Orthodox Church doesn't plan to cancel Easter processions 26 March 2020, 16:25
- Russian Orthodox Church shows understanding of Sobyanin's advice not to attend service but says churches will stay open 26 March 2020, 15:08
- Sobyanin asks Muscovites not to visit religious sites 26 March 2020, 10:49
- Ukrainian monasteries will assign premises for Covid-19 patients 25 March 2020, 19:24
- FJCR closes all its synagogues in Russia 25 March 2020, 15:49
- Monastery south of Moscow thrown away dozens of dogs, police was told they miraculously flew away 24 March 2020, 17:40
- Lukashenko on coronavirus: If we get through until Orthodox Easter, we'll live 24 March 2020, 14:40
- Kyrgyz missionary contracts Covid-19 in Pakistan - Kyrgyz Foreign Ministry 23 March 2020, 14:40
- Georgian churches to let in max. 10 people in state of emergency - premier 23 March 2020, 12:29
- Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia's council postponed due to coronavirus 20 March 2020, 19:52
- Rabbi beaten to death in Dagestan 20 March 2020, 19:12
- Friday prayers cancelled in Moscow's mosques 20 March 2020, 13:33
- Tajikistan lifts ban on joint prayers in mosques 19 March 2020, 19:02
- Russian Orthodox Church does not exclude usage of plastic spoons for Communion 18 March 2020, 16:43
- Chief rabbi of Russia closes his synagogue 18 March 2020, 14:12
- Russian Synod orders increased sanitary measures at all dioceses with coronavirus 18 March 2020, 10:40
- Cathedral of Christ the Savior receives bomb threat on Tue 18 March 2020, 10:38
- Russian Church introduces exceptional measures for coronavirus prevention 17 March 2020, 19:00
- Leader of Pentecostals considers coronavirus a sign of coming Apocalypse 17 March 2020, 14:46
- Moscow's stance on Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem deals with reinstatement of Russia's property rights - Russian Embassy in Israel 17 March 2020, 11:12
- Rectors of Moscow churches will help elderly parishioners to buy and deliver food to their homes 17 March 2020, 11:08
- Russian Orthodox Church won't abolish liturgies even if coronavirus spreads 17 March 2020, 11:05
- Russian Church urges not to panic because of coronavirus 17 March 2020, 11:03
- Moldova closes churches 13 March 2020, 19:56
- Russian Jews reject idea that coronavirus sign of world ending 13 March 2020, 16:22
- Russian Orthodox Church denies coronavirus impact on Patriarch Kirill's foreign travel schedule 13 March 2020, 14:42