26 September 2006, 15:38
Funeral service for Empress Maria Fedorovna ends in Petergof (updated)
St. Petersburg, September 26, Interfax - A funeral service for Empress Maria Fedorovna, the mother of the last Russian tsar Nicholas II, has ended in Petergof.
"It was an important historical ceremony performed in a very Christian way, as the Empress's last will required," St. Petersburg Governor Valentina Matviyenko said.
"It is also a very significant act of restoring historical memory which must unite the nation and remind it of its great history. This ceremony is a symbol of life in a new Russia," Matviyenko said.
The church, where the Empress's coffin is displayed, will be open to the public.
About 30 believers, who had gathered near the doors of the Alexander Nevsky Chapel, enter the chapel in groups.
"My journey from Denmark lasted for three days. Without going into detail, it's just a unique event - for the mere reason that Danish and Russian soldiers marched side by side for the first time ever," head of the Romanov Family Association Dmitry Romanov told the press after the funeral service.
The service was conducted by Rector of the St. Petersburg Theological Academy Archpriest Konstantin (Goryanov.)
Empress Maria Fedorovna, left Russia after the 1917 October Revolution and died in Denmark. Her remains have been returned to Russia and will be re-buried in St. Petersburg.
The Alexander Nevsky Church, also known as the Gothic Chapel Museum, served as the empress's home church during the reign of Alexander III.
- Russia, U.S. must melt ice in relationship, overcome global crises - Patriarch Kirill 21 November 2014, 19:02
- At least 50 churches were damaged in military action in Ukraine - Russian expert 21 November 2014, 18:20
- Uniates following UOC hierarchs distanced from memorandum for the Local Church 21 November 2014, 16:03
- Moscow wants Islamic world disagreements resolved - Russian foreign minister 21 November 2014, 12:14
- Putin, patriarch unveil monument to Alexander I outside Kremlin 21 November 2014, 10:02
- Jerusalem synagogue attack extreme, Russia must prevent such crimes - Putin 20 November 2014, 17:53
- DNR soldiers venerate St. George relics 20 November 2014, 14:30
- Patriarch Kirill speaks on divorce statistics 19 November 2014, 15:19
- Orthodox youth should be modern: no dress-codes and 'ethnographic ghetto' is needed 19 November 2014, 13:56
- Patriarch Kirill urges young people not to substitute real communication with virtual 19 November 2014, 13:37
- Patriarch Kirill recommends to take up the cross, not to 'relax and enjoy' 19 November 2014, 12:54
- Moscow denounces deadly attack on Jerusalem synagogue - Foreign Ministry 19 November 2014, 10:01
- Religions play key role in maintaining peace and stability - Azeri leader 18 November 2014, 11:26
- Residents in south Moscow voluntarily refuse parking lots to build a church 17 November 2014, 17:59
- Wars in Muslim countries stem from poverty, lack of education - leader of CIS' only legal Islamic party 17 November 2014, 12:07
- Russian patriarch urges Serbs to cherish brotherly unity with Russian people 17 November 2014, 11:01
- Russian, Serbian patriarchs sanctify monument to Nicholas II in Belgrade 17 November 2014, 10:55
- Patriarch Kirill calls to stop violations of rights, liberties of Serbian population of Kosovo 17 November 2014, 10:17
- Patriarch Kirill criticizes attempts to rewrite history of Serbia, former USSR 17 November 2014, 10:15
- Serbian-Russian friendship is based on spiritual closeness, not amount of gas sold - Serbian president 17 November 2014, 10:02
- Procession with cross for peace marches in Ukraine 14 November 2014, 19:59
- Israel blames Palestine for exacerbation of situation with Temple Mount in Jerusalem 14 November 2014, 18:16
- Patriarch Kirill calls on people of Serbia to work together on renewing Europe 14 November 2014, 17:55
- Hundreds of people welcome Patriarch Kirill in Belgrade 14 November 2014, 17:49
- Orthodox world will never recognize Ukrainian schismatics - the Ukrainian Orthodox Church 14 November 2014, 10:08
- IS leader Omar Ash-Shishani has been killed - Kadyrov 13 November 2014, 15:54
- UOC Primate awards Interfax-Religion editor-in-chief 13 November 2014, 14:37
- Russians trust president, church, army - poll 13 November 2014, 14:36
- Russian Orthodox Church: Christian suffering in Middle East caused by West indifference 12 November 2014, 17:19
- Patriarch Kirill to visit Serbia 12 November 2014, 14:28