26 September 2006, 15:38
Funeral service for Empress Maria Fedorovna ends in Petergof (updated)
St. Petersburg, September 26, Interfax - A funeral service for Empress Maria Fedorovna, the mother of the last Russian tsar Nicholas II, has ended in Petergof.
"It was an important historical ceremony performed in a very Christian way, as the Empress's last will required," St. Petersburg Governor Valentina Matviyenko said.
"It is also a very significant act of restoring historical memory which must unite the nation and remind it of its great history. This ceremony is a symbol of life in a new Russia," Matviyenko said.
The church, where the Empress's coffin is displayed, will be open to the public.
About 30 believers, who had gathered near the doors of the Alexander Nevsky Chapel, enter the chapel in groups.
"My journey from Denmark lasted for three days. Without going into detail, it's just a unique event - for the mere reason that Danish and Russian soldiers marched side by side for the first time ever," head of the Romanov Family Association Dmitry Romanov told the press after the funeral service.
The service was conducted by Rector of the St. Petersburg Theological Academy Archpriest Konstantin (Goryanov.)
Empress Maria Fedorovna, left Russia after the 1917 October Revolution and died in Denmark. Her remains have been returned to Russia and will be re-buried in St. Petersburg.
The Alexander Nevsky Church, also known as the Gothic Chapel Museum, served as the empress's home church during the reign of Alexander III.
- Moscow to host Quran intl recitation contest on September 20 19 September 2014, 15:14
- Cross set up in Belgrade to commemorate defenders of the city during the First World War 19 September 2014, 11:12
- Ukrainian Army shells Donetsk monastery 18 September 2014, 16:53
- Russia and Vatican to hold art exhibition on Biblical themes 18 September 2014, 10:10
- Sts Martha and Mary Convent in Moscow decorated with a Japanese symbol 18 September 2014, 10:01
- Released Lugansk priest claims pilot Savchenko suggested to divide them to organs 17 September 2014, 10:22
- Ukrainian bishop believes the country's authorities Satanic 16 September 2014, 12:15
- Two Hizb ut-Tahrir activists detained in Kyrgyzstan 16 September 2014, 11:42
- War against Islamic State promises benefit to Russia - religious expert 16 September 2014, 11:33
- The Ukrainian church official accuses the country's authorities in eliminating their own people 15 September 2014, 16:28
- Russian Foreign Ministry calls a "mockery of common sense" discharge of the Femen activists for their action in Notre Dame de Paris 15 September 2014, 14:22
- Supporters of so-called Kiev Patriarchate attempt to take over church near Kiev 15 September 2014, 11:53
- Three Tajik Islamists sentenced to imprisonment in Khabarovsk Territory 15 September 2014, 10:50
- Rabbi Kogan urges to respond to Western sanctions with a baby boom 12 September 2014, 11:04
- Rabbi Lazar opens a hockey match between renowned sportsmen and the Jewish community team 12 September 2014, 10:20
- Greek-Catholic priest urges to eliminate militiamen 11 September 2014, 16:40
- Putin lights candles for "defenders of Novorossiya" in Moscow church 11 September 2014, 13:44
- Austrian MP condemns USA in attempts to blow up traditional European values 11 September 2014, 13:28
- ISIS has 100,000 fighters, including Western, Russian citizens - expert 10 September 2014, 12:51
- U.S. report on religious freedom in Uzbekistan biased - Tashkent 09 September 2014, 14:51
- Idea of Russian World not means of enslaving Ukraine - Patriarch Kirill 08 September 2014, 16:13
- Russia, Ukraine, Belarus linked with invincible spiritual bonds - Patriarch Kirill 08 September 2014, 10:00
- ISIL Islamists threaten not just Russia but to all Europe - Margelov 04 September 2014, 10:01
- Over 200 fake passports seized from Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan in Moscow 04 September 2014, 10:01
- Crimea does not need sexual minorities - Aksyonov 02 September 2014, 17:56
- Russian school in Bethlehem to strengthen Russian-Palestinian ties - Putin 02 September 2014, 10:01
- In order to come to Russia Dalai Lama must quit politics - Lavrov 28 August 2014, 10:13
- Wahhabism supporters use Internet to campaign for extremism - Kadyrov 26 August 2014, 17:47
- Kadyrov asks clergy to resist early marriages in Chechnya 26 August 2014, 14:58
- Yamalo-Nenets authorities deny violations of Muslims' rights at local prison 26 August 2014, 14:57