26 September 2006, 15:38
Funeral service for Empress Maria Fedorovna ends in Petergof (updated)
St. Petersburg, September 26, Interfax - A funeral service for Empress Maria Fedorovna, the mother of the last Russian tsar Nicholas II, has ended in Petergof.
"It was an important historical ceremony performed in a very Christian way, as the Empress's last will required," St. Petersburg Governor Valentina Matviyenko said.
"It is also a very significant act of restoring historical memory which must unite the nation and remind it of its great history. This ceremony is a symbol of life in a new Russia," Matviyenko said.
The church, where the Empress's coffin is displayed, will be open to the public.
About 30 believers, who had gathered near the doors of the Alexander Nevsky Chapel, enter the chapel in groups.
"My journey from Denmark lasted for three days. Without going into detail, it's just a unique event - for the mere reason that Danish and Russian soldiers marched side by side for the first time ever," head of the Romanov Family Association Dmitry Romanov told the press after the funeral service.
The service was conducted by Rector of the St. Petersburg Theological Academy Archpriest Konstantin (Goryanov.)
Empress Maria Fedorovna, left Russia after the 1917 October Revolution and died in Denmark. Her remains have been returned to Russia and will be re-buried in St. Petersburg.
The Alexander Nevsky Church, also known as the Gothic Chapel Museum, served as the empress's home church during the reign of Alexander III.
- Meeting between pope, patriarch of Moscow to mark new stage in relations between two Churches - joint statement 05 February 2016, 20:59
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church criticizes Ukraine's Foreign Ministry 05 February 2016, 17:47
- OSCE mission investigate the situation around the church in Ukrainian village of Ptichya 05 February 2016, 16:46
- Patriarch Kirill goes on tour of Latin America 05 February 2016, 16:38
- Russian Catholics place high hopes on meeting of Pope Francis and Patriarch Kirill 05 February 2016, 15:38
- Pope's possible visit to Russia not being discussed for now - Metropolitan Hilarion 05 February 2016, 15:11
- Patriarch Kirill, pope to meet on Cuba on February 12 (updated) 05 February 2016, 14:40
- Russian Church canonizes Dr. Botkin killed with tsar family 05 February 2016, 10:02
- Every second Russian for Russia's closing up with Islamic world 04 February 2016, 16:16
- Orthodox church desecrated in Kiev 04 February 2016, 15:44
- Russian Church calms down the believers who consider Pan-Orthodox Council 'anti-Christ' 04 February 2016, 10:03
- Islamic coalition to fight terrorism within international law 04 February 2016, 10:01
- Turks together with Islamists robbed Armenian Churches in Syria 03 February 2016, 15:57
- UOC primate concerned about legalization of homosexual 'marriages' in Ukraine 03 February 2016, 15:07
- Inquiry into royal family killing to continue as long as necessary - Patriarch Kirill 02 February 2016, 16:55
- Berdimuhamedov writes book about spiritual culture of Turkmen 02 February 2016, 10:01
- Heads of Orthodox Churches negate the equality of confessions, but are open to the ecumenical movement 01 February 2016, 17:34
- Teheran's attitude to Jews is similar to Nazi, rabbi Lazar believes 01 February 2016, 10:02
- Patriarch Kirill urges wealthy Russians not to boast of their riches 29 January 2016, 17:26
- Patriarch Kirill urges to struggle against promoting alcohol and spices trade 29 January 2016, 17:09
- Islamic bank to be opened in Chechnya 29 January 2016, 12:15
- Georgian Constitutional Court receives same-sex marriage lawsuit 29 January 2016, 10:02
- Primates of Orthodox Churches for reorganization of global economy 29 January 2016, 10:01
- About 700,000 sectarians live in Russia - expert 28 January 2016, 12:34
- Pan-Orthodox Council not to address Ukraine issue, transition to unified calendar 27 January 2016, 16:23
- Orthodox world does not back church schism in Ukraine, only recognizes canonical Church - Patriarch Kirill 27 January 2016, 15:36
- Pan-Orthodox Council to be held in Greece this June 27 January 2016, 14:51
- Putin does not plan to visit Athos in May - Peskov 27 January 2016, 12:42
- Russian Orthodox Church denies rumors of upcoming Patriarch-Pope meeting in Latin America 26 January 2016, 18:03
- Putin urges careful approach towards Lenin reburial issue not to divide society 26 January 2016, 10:02