04 October 2006, 14:05
An issue of Constantinople’s primacy does not infringe unity between the Orthodox Churches on major theological problems - Moscow Patriarchate’s representative
Moscow, October 4, Interfax - The controversy over Constantinople as ‘an Orthodox Vatican’ surfaced at the Orthodox-Catholic meeting in Belgrade does not infringe unity of the Orthodox world on major theological problems.
The secretary for interchristian relations of the Moscow Patriarchate Department for external church relations Rev. Igor Vyzhanov gave an interview to NG-Religii newspaper published on Wednesday. He was a member of the delegation of the Russian Church at the 9th meeting of the Joint Commission on Theological Dialogue between the Orthodox Church and the Roman Catholic Church held in Belgrade recently.
‘I must tell you that unity between the Orthodox Churches on the major dogmatic and theological problems exists in principle. An issue of ‘primacy and honour’ which Constantinople has recently interpreted in a peculiar way, stands by itself,’ the priest said.
According to him, this is an ecclesial-political matter that is often examined from ‘dogmatic angle.’
He explained that participants in the Orthodox-Catholic meeting differed on par. 45 of the document on the authority of the Ecumenical Councils, and in particular on ‘parallels’ between ‘communion with Rome’ for the local Churches in the West and ‘communion with Constantinople’ for the Orthodox Churches.
‘Actually, it was a question of the two centres, as we do not regard the Patriarchate of Constantinople as a centre of the Orthodox world! It enjoys primacy by honour, and nothing more. It is neither ‘Orthodox Rome,’ nor ‘Orthodox Vatican,’ Rev. Igor underscored.
He noted that the President of the Pontifical Council for Promoting Christian Unity cardinal Walter Kasper served as moderator at the session at which par. 45 was discussed. Seeing differences between the Orthodox, he suggested that the Orthodox should ‘sort it out among themselves’ and that the paragraph be crossed out as a compromise. The co-chairman of the meeting Metropolitan John of Pergamon (Patriarchate of Constantinople) insisted on keeping the paragraph and moved that a vote be taken. Kasper as moderator seconded his motion.
The representative of the Russian Orthodox Church to the European Institutions Bishop Hilarion of Vienna and Austria lodged a protest.
‘Bishop Hilarion objected against Kasper’s being under Constantinople’s thumb, as it is simply impossible to put ecclesiological problems to the vote. These problems should be resolved among the Orthodox at the top level rather than at the Orthodox-Catholic theological commission,’ the priest added.
According to him, the document discussed in Belgrade was presented as a ‘convergent statement,’ i.e. a declaration on that what unites us.
‘All paragraphs in the document that provoked differences between the sides were amicable deleted. All controversial points can be removed from a document, yet they will not escape from our life,’ the Russian Church’s representative said in conclusion.
- Karakol Initiative Group in Altay added to list of prohibited organizations 21 February 2019, 19:24
- Moscow Patriarchate's UOC says only 12 out of 36,000 communities joined OCU 21 February 2019, 19:22
- Putin awaiting Supreme Court conclusions on freedom of conscience, religious organizations law violations 21 February 2019, 17:53
- Imperial Orthodox Palestine Society opens UK office 21 February 2019, 17:49
- The Cyprus Synod doesn't recognize the new church of Ukraine 21 February 2019, 10:41
- Patriarch of Georgia concerned about situation in Ukrainian Orthodox Christianity 21 February 2019, 10:03
- Russian Investigative Committee denies reports of Jehovah's Witnesses members' torture in Surgut 20 February 2019, 16:08
- Crimean leader denies forced eviction of OCU church in Simferopol 20 February 2019, 10:09
- Russian Orthodox Church demands freedom of movement for Ukrainian Orthodox Church priest held in Donbass 20 February 2019, 10:04
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church sees no legal grounds for its shutdown 19 February 2019, 18:50
- Ukraine's accusations about Moscow vandalizing churches stupid - Russian Orthodox Church 19 February 2019, 17:24
- UOC Metropolitan held in Donbass on suspicion of separatism (updated) 18 February 2019, 17:45
- UOC bishop draws int'l organizations' attention to violation of believers' rights in Ukraine 18 February 2019, 15:49
- SBU head Gritsak accuses Russia of playing 'religious card' in Ukraine for interference in electoral process 18 February 2019, 15:47
- Court can stop religious organization's activity if it refuses renaming - Ukraine's Culture Ministry 18 February 2019, 11:47
- UOC calls on Ukrainian authorities not to create artificial obstacles in church life 18 February 2019, 11:20
- Jehovah's Witnesses group shut down in Khanty-Mansiysk District 15 February 2019, 22:17
- Ukraine annuls Bishop Gedeon's passport 15 February 2019, 22:14
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church's Bishop Gedeon deported from Ukraine over his appeal to U.S. Congress - Russian Orthodox Church 14 February 2019, 16:40
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church bishop stopped at Kiev airport deported to U.S. 14 February 2019, 16:30
- No grounds so far to reconsider stance on Jehovah's Witnesses - Russian Justice Ministry 14 February 2019, 12:17
- Russian courts' ban on Jehovah's Witnesses founded - Justice Ministry 13 February 2019, 11:53
- Russian Orthodox Church's Asian exarch assumes office created in response to Constantinople's actions 13 February 2019, 11:46
- OCU bishop's visit exposes weakness of Patriarch Bartholomew's positions - Russian Orthodox Church 13 February 2019, 11:41
- Senior Athos clergy decline photo-op with new Ukrainian church bishop 13 February 2019, 11:35
- Jehovah's Witnesses not persecuted for belief, penalized for illegal activity - Lebedev 12 February 2019, 15:44
- Revision of Jehovah's Witnesses case possible in event of ECHR's decision - Lebedev 12 February 2019, 15:41
- U.S. authorities may punish Orthodox Church in America due to stance on Ukraine - Russian MP 12 February 2019, 13:44
- Expert speaks against imprisoning Jehovah's Witnesses in order not to create them a halo of martyrs 12 February 2019, 10:16
- Unknown individuals attempt to set church in Ukraine's Nikolayev Region on fire 12 February 2019, 10:00