04 October 2006, 14:05
An issue of Constantinople’s primacy does not infringe unity between the Orthodox Churches on major theological problems - Moscow Patriarchate’s representative
Moscow, October 4, Interfax - The controversy over Constantinople as ‘an Orthodox Vatican’ surfaced at the Orthodox-Catholic meeting in Belgrade does not infringe unity of the Orthodox world on major theological problems.
The secretary for interchristian relations of the Moscow Patriarchate Department for external church relations Rev. Igor Vyzhanov gave an interview to NG-Religii newspaper published on Wednesday. He was a member of the delegation of the Russian Church at the 9th meeting of the Joint Commission on Theological Dialogue between the Orthodox Church and the Roman Catholic Church held in Belgrade recently.
‘I must tell you that unity between the Orthodox Churches on the major dogmatic and theological problems exists in principle. An issue of ‘primacy and honour’ which Constantinople has recently interpreted in a peculiar way, stands by itself,’ the priest said.
According to him, this is an ecclesial-political matter that is often examined from ‘dogmatic angle.’
He explained that participants in the Orthodox-Catholic meeting differed on par. 45 of the document on the authority of the Ecumenical Councils, and in particular on ‘parallels’ between ‘communion with Rome’ for the local Churches in the West and ‘communion with Constantinople’ for the Orthodox Churches.
‘Actually, it was a question of the two centres, as we do not regard the Patriarchate of Constantinople as a centre of the Orthodox world! It enjoys primacy by honour, and nothing more. It is neither ‘Orthodox Rome,’ nor ‘Orthodox Vatican,’ Rev. Igor underscored.
He noted that the President of the Pontifical Council for Promoting Christian Unity cardinal Walter Kasper served as moderator at the session at which par. 45 was discussed. Seeing differences between the Orthodox, he suggested that the Orthodox should ‘sort it out among themselves’ and that the paragraph be crossed out as a compromise. The co-chairman of the meeting Metropolitan John of Pergamon (Patriarchate of Constantinople) insisted on keeping the paragraph and moved that a vote be taken. Kasper as moderator seconded his motion.
The representative of the Russian Orthodox Church to the European Institutions Bishop Hilarion of Vienna and Austria lodged a protest.
‘Bishop Hilarion objected against Kasper’s being under Constantinople’s thumb, as it is simply impossible to put ecclesiological problems to the vote. These problems should be resolved among the Orthodox at the top level rather than at the Orthodox-Catholic theological commission,’ the priest added.
According to him, the document discussed in Belgrade was presented as a ‘convergent statement,’ i.e. a declaration on that what unites us.
‘All paragraphs in the document that provoked differences between the sides were amicable deleted. All controversial points can be removed from a document, yet they will not escape from our life,’ the Russian Church’s representative said in conclusion.
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church says its bishop's call for participation in 'unifying assembly' fake news 15 December 2018, 20:27
- Election of leader of "single local church" in Ukraine means nothing - Russian Orthodox Church 15 December 2018, 20:11
- Poroshenko to travel with Metropolitan Epiphany to collect Constantinople's tomos in person 15 December 2018, 20:06
- Metropolitan Epiphany of "Kiev Patriarchate" elected as leader of "local Orthodox church" in Ukraine 15 December 2018, 18:39
- Russian Church satisfied that ECHR found Pussy Riot's 'punk prayer' unlawful 14 December 2018, 21:13
- Ukraine is Russian Church's canonical territory - Constantinople metropolitan 14 December 2018, 20:12
- Mogilev-Podolsky bishop delivered to Kiev by security service - Ukrainian Orthodox Church 14 December 2018, 20:08
- Russian Jewish leader outraged at declaration of year of Bandera in Ukraine's Lvov Region 14 December 2018, 17:26
- Ukrainian Church of Moscow Patriarchate praying for govt's non-interference in church affairs in front of Rada 14 December 2018, 14:20
- "Kiev Patriarchate" to nominate 2 candidates for head of Ukraine's unified church - source 14 December 2018, 13:03
- Patriarch Kirill urges political, religious leaders worldwide to defend Ukrainian Orthodox Church (updated) 14 December 2018, 11:21
- Over half of Ukrainian Orthodox archbishops return unification assembly invites to Bartholomew 13 December 2018, 18:56
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church protests over service performed by Constantinople rep in Kiev 13 December 2018, 18:55
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church's main proponent of independence from Moscow rejects version of autocephaly proposed by Constantinople 13 December 2018, 18:02
- Ukraine's Culture Ministry inspecting museum collections of Kiev-Pechersk, Pochayev monasteries 13 December 2018, 17:59
- SBU says found evidence of 'inciting interethnic strife' in searches, interrogations of Ukrainian Orthodox clergy 13 December 2018, 14:45
- Russian Orthodox Church urges U.S. to change approach toward assessing religious freedom 12 December 2018, 14:14
- "Kiev Patriarchate" head threatens to disrupt unification assembly 10 December 2018, 18:28
- SBU officials didn't let Donetsk metropolitan cross contact line 10 December 2018, 16:12
- Poroshenko asks Metropolitan Onufry to help have Ukrainian naval sailors freed 10 December 2018, 11:06
- "Unification gathering" in Ukraine has no legitimacy - Russian Orthodox Church 10 December 2018, 11:02
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church Synod says its episcopate, parishioners pressured, persecuted 07 December 2018, 21:52
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church Synod denies Bartholomew right to convene meeting in Ukraine, bans its clerics, laypeople from attending it 07 December 2018, 18:36
- Metropolitan Onufry returns to Istanbul invitation to unification assembly 07 December 2018, 17:19
- Russian police find no extremism in Jewish movement Shahar leader's actions 07 December 2018, 12:59
- IOPS to open division in Istanbul despite patriarch Bartholomew's opinion 07 December 2018, 12:13
- Patriarch Bartholomew calls on UOC Metropolitan Onufry to take part in unification assembly 07 December 2018, 12:09
- Ukraine's new Orthodox church will be independent - Poroshenko's entourage 07 December 2018, 10:48
- Patriarch Kirill accuses Poroshenko of interfering in religious affairs 07 December 2018, 10:42
- Russian FM, Vatican sec call for boosting bilateral ties 07 December 2018, 10:40