05 October 2006, 10:20
Alexy II speaks on importance of Orthodox-Catholic cooperation
Moscow, October 5, Interfax - Patriarch of Moscow and All Russia Alexy II has spoken on the importance of cooperation between Orthodox and Catholics in Europe in promoting moral Christian values against attempts to push religion out of the social realm.
"One can see particularly insistent attempts to impose on society an exclusively secular way of thinking and push religion to the sidelines of life," the patriarch said in a meeting with head of the British Catholic Community, Cardinal Cormac Murphy O'Connor in Moscow Wednesday.
In this connection, Alexy II said that the Russian Orthodox Church "very positively" welcomed the statement made by Pope Benedict XVI on his aspiration to develop a dialogue with the Orthodox Church.
Today the Orthodox and Catholics have a large field for joint work, including to prevent complexities and perplexities emerging between the churches, "especially in issues of missionary service," according to Alexy II.
In the meeting, Alexy II also expressed anxiety concerning ministry to believers at English parishes of the Russian Orthodox Church.
"Unfortunately, there have been some complications recently in the diocese of Surozh following the non-canonical actions of the former diocese manager. However, I sincerely hope that such actions will not affect ministry to our compatriots living in Great Britain," the patriarch said.
He said that believers of the Moscow Patriarchate have increased in the United Kingdom, and that "this congregation needs spiritual guidance form its mother-church."
- One more Russian Orthodox metropolitan carries out air procession with cross against coronavirus 02 April 2020, 17:34
- Head of the Byelorussian Orthodox Church to fly along the country’s borders with relics and prayers to stop coronavirus 02 April 2020, 17:32
- About 20 members of Jewish community of Russia hospitalized with coronavirus suspected 02 April 2020, 16:05
- Moscow rabbi recovers from coronavirus 01 April 2020, 17:09
- Patriarch to go around Moscow with icon of Our Lady to rid people of coronavirus 01 April 2020, 13:24
- Patriarch Kirill calls on believers to refrain from visiting churches amid coronavirus pandemic 29 March 2020, 20:09
- Opera singer Svetlana Kasyan hospitalized with coronavirus 28 March 2020, 18:10
- Patriarch Kirill prays for the end of pandemic 28 March 2020, 17:58
- The Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia will give Pesach food sets to all parishioners 28 March 2020, 17:55
- Case of leader of Aum Shinrikyo group in Russia sent to prosecutor 26 March 2020, 19:27
- Belarusian Orthodox Church doesn't plan to cancel Easter processions 26 March 2020, 16:25
- Russian Orthodox Church shows understanding of Sobyanin's advice not to attend service but says churches will stay open 26 March 2020, 15:08
- Sobyanin asks Muscovites not to visit religious sites 26 March 2020, 10:49
- Ukrainian monasteries will assign premises for Covid-19 patients 25 March 2020, 19:24
- FJCR closes all its synagogues in Russia 25 March 2020, 15:49
- Monastery south of Moscow thrown away dozens of dogs, police was told they miraculously flew away 24 March 2020, 17:40
- Lukashenko on coronavirus: If we get through until Orthodox Easter, we'll live 24 March 2020, 14:40
- Kyrgyz missionary contracts Covid-19 in Pakistan - Kyrgyz Foreign Ministry 23 March 2020, 14:40
- Georgian churches to let in max. 10 people in state of emergency - premier 23 March 2020, 12:29
- Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia's council postponed due to coronavirus 20 March 2020, 19:52
- Rabbi beaten to death in Dagestan 20 March 2020, 19:12
- Friday prayers cancelled in Moscow's mosques 20 March 2020, 13:33
- Tajikistan lifts ban on joint prayers in mosques 19 March 2020, 19:02
- Russian Orthodox Church does not exclude usage of plastic spoons for Communion 18 March 2020, 16:43
- Chief rabbi of Russia closes his synagogue 18 March 2020, 14:12
- Russian Synod orders increased sanitary measures at all dioceses with coronavirus 18 March 2020, 10:40
- Cathedral of Christ the Savior receives bomb threat on Tue 18 March 2020, 10:38
- Russian Church introduces exceptional measures for coronavirus prevention 17 March 2020, 19:00
- Leader of Pentecostals considers coronavirus a sign of coming Apocalypse 17 March 2020, 14:46
- Moscow's stance on Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem deals with reinstatement of Russia's property rights - Russian Embassy in Israel 17 March 2020, 11:12