16 October 2006, 11:48
A European deputy urges to remember that the colour of the Council of Europe flag symbolizes the Intercession of the Holy Virgin and its twelve stars - the apostles
Moscow, October 16, Interfax - The vice-president of the European Parliament Mario Mauro spoke of the importance of religious values for shaping a single European expanse. The symbolism of the flag of the European Union reminds of that.
‘We should be deeply convinced that cultural foundations on which we are building politics in Europe are not hypothetical... Some countries attempt to build a society without God. This brings about serious problems,’ Mauro said at Europe at a turning point: confrontation of civilizations or a new dialogue? the international conference in Moscow.
He also remarked that the blue colour of the flag of the Council of Europe symbolizes an Intercession of the Holy Virgin, and twelve stars depicted in a circle remind of the twelve apostles.
According to a European deputy, the main challenges for Europe at present are religious fundamentalism when certain persons ‘justify their own strategy of the conquest of power by God’s will’ on the one hand, and moral relativism on the other.
Mauro cited Italy as an example where several generations of people do not wish to have family and children because they seized to believe and have lost their moral ideals.’
‘However, Europe that does not believe would disappear sooner or later,’ the vice-president of the European Parliament is convinced.
He said that genuine dialogue among cultures and civilizations ‘cannot be just a search for compromise, but should presuppose responsibility.’
‘As Plato wrote in his dialogue Feast, real friends are those who see God while looking into each others’ eyes,’ he added.
Mauro is convinced in the necessity of deepening the dialogue and versatile ties between Europe and Russia.
‘Europe’s way without Russia is impossible. Europe needs Russia as its large component that may bring its particular contribution into European economic, political and cultural processes,’ he said.
According to him, cooperation with Russia is ‘the only political prospect of Europe.’ Members of the European society ‘could develop this process with more success should they believe that we have common ideals’ with Russia.
- Ukrainian govt refuses to cancel lease with Ukrainian Orthodox Church 24 June 2022, 19:51
- Patriarch Kirill visits Russian servicemen injured during special operation in Ukraine 21 June 2022, 21:24
- Russia to hold 'Candle of Memory' vigil on eve of war's anniversary 21 June 2022, 20:06
- Jerusalem Patriarchate condemns Western rhetoric against Patriarch Kirill 21 June 2022, 19:02
- The image of the Virgin appeared on the door of Russian military hospital 21 June 2022, 18:01
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church asks EU diplomats for protection 16 June 2022, 19:46
- Russian Orthodox Church describes sanctions against Patriarch Kirill as absurd, pointless 16 June 2022, 14:47
- UK imposes sanctions on Patriarch Kirill 16 June 2022, 13:54
- LGBT pride parade won't be allowed in Chisinau - city mayor 14 June 2022, 10:00
- All-Tatar Public Center designated as extremist organization, banned 10 June 2022, 14:19
- Russian Orthodox Church concerned about prospects of ban on marches near clinics, religious sites 10 June 2022, 14:17
- Rallies, demonstrations to be prohibited near religious buildings in Russia 09 June 2022, 16:39
- Over half of Russians favor restrictions on migrants' entry into country - senior Kremlin official 09 June 2022, 15:28
- Draft bill stipulating fines up to 10 mln rubles for propaganda of non-traditional sexual relations submitted to State Duma 07 June 2022, 21:10
- Russian court gives four Jehovah's Witnesses real jail time, suspended sentences in Trans-Baikal Territory 07 June 2022, 19:29
- Russian army averted damage to Sviatogorsk Lavra's historical and Orthodox monuments 07 June 2022, 15:28
- Metropolitan Hilarion relieved of duties as Moscow Patriarchate's external relations dept chairman 07 June 2022, 15:03
- Only Local Council can change status of Ukrainian Orthodox Church - Moscow Synod 07 June 2022, 15:01
- Crimean bishoprics directly subordinated to Patriarch Kirill 07 June 2022, 14:21
- Patriarch Kirill calls Belarus a truly sovereign state 06 June 2022, 12:52
- Process of transfer of Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem to Russia to be completed in foreseeable future - Russian FM 03 June 2022, 19:51
- Friendship of Slavic peoples to stand test of time - Patriarch Kirill 02 June 2022, 10:00
- Lavrov, OIC secretary general discuss causes of escalation in int'l relations 01 June 2022, 10:00
- Borrell's remarks on Russian patriarch give Kiev 'sanction' to persecute canonical Church – Moscow Patriarchate 31 May 2022, 18:21
- Another Donbass diocese disagrees with UOC decision to proclaim independence 31 May 2022, 17:50
- Chisinau mayor says won't allow LGBT pride parade to happen 31 May 2022, 17:22
- Ukrainian Verkhovna Rada votes for sanctions on Patriarch Kirill 31 May 2022, 15:46
- Russian Church compares Borrel with the jackal Tabaki from Mowgli 31 May 2022, 14:12
- Zakharova on plans to impose sanctions against the patriarch: no one submits notes about the health of EU 31 May 2022, 13:14
- Russia has immunity against any military adventurism - Patriarch Kirill 30 May 2022, 20:54