16 October 2006, 11:48
A European deputy urges to remember that the colour of the Council of Europe flag symbolizes the Intercession of the Holy Virgin and its twelve stars - the apostles
Moscow, October 16, Interfax - The vice-president of the European Parliament Mario Mauro spoke of the importance of religious values for shaping a single European expanse. The symbolism of the flag of the European Union reminds of that.
‘We should be deeply convinced that cultural foundations on which we are building politics in Europe are not hypothetical... Some countries attempt to build a society without God. This brings about serious problems,’ Mauro said at Europe at a turning point: confrontation of civilizations or a new dialogue? the international conference in Moscow.
He also remarked that the blue colour of the flag of the Council of Europe symbolizes an Intercession of the Holy Virgin, and twelve stars depicted in a circle remind of the twelve apostles.
According to a European deputy, the main challenges for Europe at present are religious fundamentalism when certain persons ‘justify their own strategy of the conquest of power by God’s will’ on the one hand, and moral relativism on the other.
Mauro cited Italy as an example where several generations of people do not wish to have family and children because they seized to believe and have lost their moral ideals.’
‘However, Europe that does not believe would disappear sooner or later,’ the vice-president of the European Parliament is convinced.
He said that genuine dialogue among cultures and civilizations ‘cannot be just a search for compromise, but should presuppose responsibility.’
‘As Plato wrote in his dialogue Feast, real friends are those who see God while looking into each others’ eyes,’ he added.
Mauro is convinced in the necessity of deepening the dialogue and versatile ties between Europe and Russia.
‘Europe’s way without Russia is impossible. Europe needs Russia as its large component that may bring its particular contribution into European economic, political and cultural processes,’ he said.
According to him, cooperation with Russia is ‘the only political prospect of Europe.’ Members of the European society ‘could develop this process with more success should they believe that we have common ideals’ with Russia.
- Putin takes part in Epiphany bathing 19 January 2021, 17:40
- Patriarch Kirill conveys a ton of oranges to hospitals and social facilities of Moscow 18 January 2021, 19:03
- Stepashin asks Israeli govt to protect Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem 18 January 2021, 18:59
- Parish in eastern U.S. returns to Russian Orthodox Church Outside Russia, which it left after its reunion with Moscow Patriarchate 18 January 2021, 16:56
- Kiev expects icon gifted to Lavrov in Sarajevo to be returned to Ukraine 15 January 2021, 17:46
- Arrested former schema-monk Sergy ends his hunger strike 15 January 2021, 16:49
- ECHR finds unproven accusations of Kiev in Russia's refusal to register religious organizations in Crimea 14 January 2021, 14:38
- Federal Penitentiary Service denies reports on deteriorating health of former schema-hegumen Sergy 14 January 2021, 14:10
- IOPS chairman says is 99% certain Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem will be returned to Russia this year 13 January 2021, 14:36
- Circus in Russia's Udmurtia says photos of animals with Nazi symbols Christmas celebration that caused scandal were taken out of context 13 January 2021, 13:24
- Supporter of Urals ex-schema-monk Sergy arrested in new case 12 January 2021, 17:29
- Emeritus Patriarchal Exarch of All Belarus Philaret dies 12 January 2021, 16:51
- Yakutian 'shaman' Gabyshev plans new 'march on Moscow' 12 January 2021, 15:28
- Arrested ex-schema-monk Sergy goes on dry hunger strike - Public Monitoring Commission 12 January 2021, 10:00
- Extremists may take advantage of new anti-money laundering regulations for religious organizations - State Duma committee 11 January 2021, 17:00
- Hockey player Datsyuk, actress Shukshina ask Putin to look into circumstances of former schema-hegumen Sergy's detention in Urals 11 January 2021, 16:23
- Christmas interview of Patriarch Kirill to Rossia TV (a shortened version) 11 January 2021, 10:10
- Decision on where icon gifted to Lavrov truly belongs can be made only after examination - Russian Orthodox Church 08 January 2021, 15:34
- Patriarch Kirill calls those who do not believe in danger of Covid-19 'stupid' 08 January 2021, 15:31
- Hagia Sophia's conversion into mosque Patriarch Bartholomew's divine retribution - Russian Church head 07 January 2021, 17:41
- Putin grateful to Syrian people for preserving Christian holy relics 07 January 2021, 17:39
- Hope, expectation of miracle human's guiding light - Putin 07 January 2021, 17:36
- Pope Francis accepts Belarusian Catholic leader Kondrusiewicz's resignation 03 January 2021, 17:18
- Russian Orthodox Church postpones Christmas Readings to Easter due to Covid-19 pandemic 30 December 2020, 19:01
- Moscow court arrests ex-schema-monk Sergy for 2 months 29 December 2020, 21:14
- Former schema-hegumen Sergy suspected of persuading 10 nuns to commit suicide 29 December 2020, 20:58
- Russian Bishops' Council to be held on November 15-18, 2021 29 December 2020, 19:57
- Russian Orthodox Church wished Russians to keep faith, hope and love 28 December 2020, 13:16
- Leader of Catholic Church in Belarus Kondrusiewicz returns to country 24 December 2020, 15:11
- Lukashenko reminds Belarusians of forgiveness, help to needy in Christmas Eve message 24 December 2020, 10:41