25 October 2006, 17:41
Neo-Catechumenate movement refutes reports about its intention to train Orthodox priests for Russian Church
Rome, October 25, Interfax – Leaders of the Catholic Neo-Catechumenate movement has refuted the allegations that an agreement was reached with the Moscow Patriarchate for joint training of Orthodox priests.
‘The leaders of the Neocatechumenal way regret the report about a meeting (of this organization’s leader Kiko Arguello – IF) with Metropolitan Kirill of Smolensk and Kaliningrad’, reads the official letter Neo-Catechumenate has sent to the Moscow Patriarchate department for external church relations.
The authors of the letter have strongly denied that they informed (journalists – IF) about any ‘agreement’ with the aim to teach and train Orthodox priests.
‘Therefore they join the refutation made by the DECR secretary for inter-Christian relations, Rev. Igor Vyzhanov, in the interview he gave to Interfax on Tuesday, October 24’, the letter says.
‘No final agreement was concluded at the meeting. We treated their proposals with great caution’, Father Igor told Interfax yesterday.
He also stressed that the position of the Moscow Patriarchate on the results of this meeting was officially stated in the DECR communication press release of October 19, which reported among other things that His Eminence Kirill in his talk with Neo-Catechumenate leaders ‘pointed to the need for a closer look at each other’s spiritual traditions, first of all, to see if the ideas of today’s religious movements correspond to the theological tradition of the Orthodox Church’.
‘Naturally we have made no advances to Neo-Catechumenate’, the Moscow Patriarchate representative added.
Neo-Catechumenate is sometimes called a charismatic movement in Catholicism. It is disliked by some clergy and laity in the Roman Catholic Church for its insularity and excessively expressive methods of catechism.
- State Duma Council to consider consultations on possible reintroduction of death penalty 27 September 2022, 20:44
- Patriarch Kirill calls for spiritual mobilization 27 September 2022, 15:34
- Russia's FSB reports detention a Muslim recruter in Moscow area 27 September 2022, 11:58
- Russian Church warns the West against "slipping into a bestial state" 23 September 2022, 12:11
- Patriarch Kirill declares the futility of attempts to intimidate the Russians 19 September 2022, 14:04
- Religious leaders call for ending conflicts, bloodshed in the world at congress in Nur-Sultan 15 September 2022, 14:49
- Some 10,000 believers attending papal mass in Kazakh capital 14 September 2022, 17:16
- Russian Supreme Court brands as terrorist, bans Islamic Renaissance Party of Tajikistan 14 September 2022, 11:42
- Pontiff urges religious leaders to help settle conflicts through dialogue 14 September 2022, 11:41
- Patriarch Kirill: attempts to build world order without relying on moral values led to fierce confrontation 14 September 2022, 11:40
- Bishop Nicholas of Manhattan elected new First Hierarch of Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia 13 September 2022, 20:42
- Catholicos of All Armenians urges world to react to Azerbaijan's actions 13 September 2022, 15:42
- Pope Francis arrives in Kazakhstan's capital 13 September 2022, 15:38
- Russian State Duma may hold hearings on LGBT propaganda ban in Oct-Nov 13 September 2022, 14:50
- Latvian Orthodox Church chooses not to argue with govt about its status 12 September 2022, 10:30
- Patriarch Kirill calls Elizabeth II symbol of sustainability of centuries-old traditions for entire Europe 09 September 2022, 13:02
- Russian Orthodox Church on declaration of Latvian Church's autocephaly by parliament: they surpassed Middle Ages 08 September 2022, 21:45
- Latvian Saeima endorses law on independence of Latvian Orthodox Church 08 September 2022, 19:06
- WCC refuses to accuse Russian Orthodox Church despite pressure 08 September 2022, 17:03
- Court in Primorye overrules order committing Yakutia shaman Gabyshev to hospital 08 September 2022, 10:31
- Russian ombudsman calls for moratorium on death penalty in DPR 07 September 2022, 14:42
- Patriarch Kirill highlights Russia's special role in modern history 06 September 2022, 17:35
- Riga seeking independence of Latvian Orthodox Church from Moscow Patriarchate (updated) 05 September 2022, 17:44
- Russian Orthodox Church outraged by interference of Latvian secular authorities in church affairs 05 September 2022, 15:32
- World Council of Churches refuses to isolate Russian Orthodox Church delegation at its assembly 01 September 2022, 21:32
- Russian Orthodox Church accuses German president of putting pressure on World Council of Churches 01 September 2022, 14:23
- Russian Orthodox Church views Kyiv's sanctions on Patriarch Kirill as PR campaign 31 August 2022, 17:25
- Fines for LGBT propaganda to be from 50,000 to 200,000 rubles for citizens, foreigners may be deported from Russia 31 August 2022, 16:42
- Ukrainian govt approves proposed sanctions against Patriarch Kirill 31 August 2022, 09:56
- Bishops' Council postponed indefinitely due to global situation - Russian Orthodox Church 25 August 2022, 21:06