25 October 2006, 17:41
Neo-Catechumenate movement refutes reports about its intention to train Orthodox priests for Russian Church
Rome, October 25, Interfax – Leaders of the Catholic Neo-Catechumenate movement has refuted the allegations that an agreement was reached with the Moscow Patriarchate for joint training of Orthodox priests.
‘The leaders of the Neocatechumenal way regret the report about a meeting (of this organization’s leader Kiko Arguello – IF) with Metropolitan Kirill of Smolensk and Kaliningrad’, reads the official letter Neo-Catechumenate has sent to the Moscow Patriarchate department for external church relations.
The authors of the letter have strongly denied that they informed (journalists – IF) about any ‘agreement’ with the aim to teach and train Orthodox priests.
‘Therefore they join the refutation made by the DECR secretary for inter-Christian relations, Rev. Igor Vyzhanov, in the interview he gave to Interfax on Tuesday, October 24’, the letter says.
‘No final agreement was concluded at the meeting. We treated their proposals with great caution’, Father Igor told Interfax yesterday.
He also stressed that the position of the Moscow Patriarchate on the results of this meeting was officially stated in the DECR communication press release of October 19, which reported among other things that His Eminence Kirill in his talk with Neo-Catechumenate leaders ‘pointed to the need for a closer look at each other’s spiritual traditions, first of all, to see if the ideas of today’s religious movements correspond to the theological tradition of the Orthodox Church’.
‘Naturally we have made no advances to Neo-Catechumenate’, the Moscow Patriarchate representative added.
Neo-Catechumenate is sometimes called a charismatic movement in Catholicism. It is disliked by some clergy and laity in the Roman Catholic Church for its insularity and excessively expressive methods of catechism.
- Patriarch Kirill congratulates Lukashenko on winning Belarusian presidential election 11 August 2020, 10:00
- Tablighi Jamaat literature found in mosques in Mordovia, activists detained 10 August 2020, 20:44
- Some 30 Belarusian priests join flash mob against vote-rigging in election 10 August 2020, 18:35
- 'Main exorcist' of Russian Orthodox Church dies of coronavirus 10 August 2020, 18:27
- "Innovative" church with a dome in the form of an Old Russian helmet may appear in Moscow Region 07 August 2020, 18:11
- Zelensky confirms the right of the UOC to use the Kiev Lavra of the Caves 07 August 2020, 17:57
- Teenage girl dies in Sredneuralsky Convent in Russia's Ural region 07 August 2020, 11:51
- Man who attacked priests with knife in Moscow church gets 1.5 years in penal colony 06 August 2020, 15:39
- Ideologues of destructive religious movements become active in Kazakhstan during quarantine 06 August 2020, 15:14
- Hegumeness of Sredneuralsky Convent calls on followers of schismatic schema-monk Sergy to come to their senses 03 August 2020, 16:52
- Ways to bypass coronavirus-related entry ban for pilgrimage to Ukraine being advertised in Israel 03 August 2020, 14:01
- Top Russian Orthodox priest speaks out against contraception 03 August 2020, 13:40
- Patriarch Kirill says there is not a drop of truth in rumors about his wealth 03 August 2020, 11:56
- Christianization of Rus was the main revolution in Russian history - Patriarch Kirill 28 July 2020, 20:26
- Poroshenko 'proud' of tomos criminal case against him 28 July 2020, 18:49
- Half of Georgian residents agree that faith helps protect against coronavirus - poll 28 July 2020, 16:54
- Russian Foreign Ministry sends notes of protest to Western states' embassies over LGBT flags hoisted on their buildings 28 July 2020, 14:04
- Kyrgyz Muslim board cancels Eid al-Adha collective prayers due to Covid-19 28 July 2020, 12:08
- Russian Orthodox Church calls for learning lessons from Hagia Sophia's transformation into mosque, Nantes Cathedral arson 27 July 2020, 17:00
- About three billion rubles donated annually for construction of Orthodox churches in Moscow 27 July 2020, 15:20
- Russian Church calls female circumcision barbaric 27 July 2020, 10:18
- Russian metropolitan is ready to become a volunteer for a coronavirus vaccine trial 27 July 2020, 10:15
- Patriarch Kirill obliges mother superior of a Moscow monastery to sell her luxury Mercedes 27 July 2020, 10:07
- Ukraine proposes to introduce fine for promoting homosexuality 24 July 2020, 19:43
- Former schema-hegumen not planning to leave Sredneuralsky Convent 24 July 2020, 19:38
- Patriarch Kirill approves decision of Yekaterinburg Diocese's court to defrock monk Sergy (Romanov) 24 July 2020, 11:25
- Patriarch Kirill calls on Armenia, Azerbaijan to have dialogue 24 July 2020, 10:57
- Fourteen nuns leave Sredneuralsky Convent taken over by former schema-hegumen 23 July 2020, 18:08
- FSB detains over 20 Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan terrorists in Moscow, Novosibirsk, Krasnoyarsk Territory 23 July 2020, 15:22
- Putin, Greek PM discuss situation surrounding Hagia Sofia Cathedral in Istanbul 23 July 2020, 10:18