25 October 2006, 17:41
Neo-Catechumenate movement refutes reports about its intention to train Orthodox priests for Russian Church
Rome, October 25, Interfax – Leaders of the Catholic Neo-Catechumenate movement has refuted the allegations that an agreement was reached with the Moscow Patriarchate for joint training of Orthodox priests.
‘The leaders of the Neocatechumenal way regret the report about a meeting (of this organization’s leader Kiko Arguello – IF) with Metropolitan Kirill of Smolensk and Kaliningrad’, reads the official letter Neo-Catechumenate has sent to the Moscow Patriarchate department for external church relations.
The authors of the letter have strongly denied that they informed (journalists – IF) about any ‘agreement’ with the aim to teach and train Orthodox priests.
‘Therefore they join the refutation made by the DECR secretary for inter-Christian relations, Rev. Igor Vyzhanov, in the interview he gave to Interfax on Tuesday, October 24’, the letter says.
‘No final agreement was concluded at the meeting. We treated their proposals with great caution’, Father Igor told Interfax yesterday.
He also stressed that the position of the Moscow Patriarchate on the results of this meeting was officially stated in the DECR communication press release of October 19, which reported among other things that His Eminence Kirill in his talk with Neo-Catechumenate leaders ‘pointed to the need for a closer look at each other’s spiritual traditions, first of all, to see if the ideas of today’s religious movements correspond to the theological tradition of the Orthodox Church’.
‘Naturally we have made no advances to Neo-Catechumenate’, the Moscow Patriarchate representative added.
Neo-Catechumenate is sometimes called a charismatic movement in Catholicism. It is disliked by some clergy and laity in the Roman Catholic Church for its insularity and excessively expressive methods of catechism.
- Patriarch Kirill calls on believers to refrain from visiting churches amid coronavirus pandemic 29 March 2020, 20:09
- Opera singer Svetlana Kasyan hospitalized with coronavirus 28 March 2020, 18:10
- Patriarch Kirill prays for the end of pandemic 28 March 2020, 17:58
- The Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia will give Pesach food sets to all parishioners 28 March 2020, 17:55
- Case of leader of Aum Shinrikyo group in Russia sent to prosecutor 26 March 2020, 19:27
- Belarusian Orthodox Church doesn't plan to cancel Easter processions 26 March 2020, 16:25
- Russian Orthodox Church shows understanding of Sobyanin's advice not to attend service but says churches will stay open 26 March 2020, 15:08
- Sobyanin asks Muscovites not to visit religious sites 26 March 2020, 10:49
- Ukrainian monasteries will assign premises for Covid-19 patients 25 March 2020, 19:24
- FJCR closes all its synagogues in Russia 25 March 2020, 15:49
- Monastery south of Moscow thrown away dozens of dogs, police was told they miraculously flew away 24 March 2020, 17:40
- Lukashenko on coronavirus: If we get through until Orthodox Easter, we'll live 24 March 2020, 14:40
- Kyrgyz missionary contracts Covid-19 in Pakistan - Kyrgyz Foreign Ministry 23 March 2020, 14:40
- Georgian churches to let in max. 10 people in state of emergency - premier 23 March 2020, 12:29
- Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia's council postponed due to coronavirus 20 March 2020, 19:52
- Rabbi beaten to death in Dagestan 20 March 2020, 19:12
- Friday prayers cancelled in Moscow's mosques 20 March 2020, 13:33
- Tajikistan lifts ban on joint prayers in mosques 19 March 2020, 19:02
- Russian Orthodox Church does not exclude usage of plastic spoons for Communion 18 March 2020, 16:43
- Chief rabbi of Russia closes his synagogue 18 March 2020, 14:12
- Russian Synod orders increased sanitary measures at all dioceses with coronavirus 18 March 2020, 10:40
- Cathedral of Christ the Savior receives bomb threat on Tue 18 March 2020, 10:38
- Russian Church introduces exceptional measures for coronavirus prevention 17 March 2020, 19:00
- Leader of Pentecostals considers coronavirus a sign of coming Apocalypse 17 March 2020, 14:46
- Moscow's stance on Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem deals with reinstatement of Russia's property rights - Russian Embassy in Israel 17 March 2020, 11:12
- Rectors of Moscow churches will help elderly parishioners to buy and deliver food to their homes 17 March 2020, 11:08
- Russian Orthodox Church won't abolish liturgies even if coronavirus spreads 17 March 2020, 11:05
- Russian Church urges not to panic because of coronavirus 17 March 2020, 11:03
- Moldova closes churches 13 March 2020, 19:56
- Russian Jews reject idea that coronavirus sign of world ending 13 March 2020, 16:22