27 October 2006, 13:44
Orthodox public concerned for threat of neo-nazism in Ukraine
Kiev, October 27, Interfax - The Union of Orthodox Citizens in Ukraine fears that the decree on the rehabilitation of the Organization of Ukrainian Nationalists - Ukrainian Rebel Army (OUN-UPA) signed by Ukrainian President Victor Yuschenko will result in a split in the country.
‘By signing a decree on the rehabilitation of nazi accomplices, Yuschenko has made a fatal step towards split, because many people, cheated by the democratic rhetoric of the ‘Orange Revolution’, will never accept the rehabilitation of nazism, which is taking place exclusively at the suggestion of the Galician ‘elite’, reads the statement the Union has circulated on Friday.
According to its authors, it was Hitler’s intelligence that created and armed OUN-UPA, while repressing demonstratively those who resisted it.
‘It is impossible to reject the decisions of the Nuremberg tribunal which condemned the nazi Western-Ukrainian military unites, such as the SS-Galichina division and the Nachtigal battalion. OUN-UPA was an integral part of the nazi front in Ukraine’, the Union noted.
The statement also stresses that for Orthodox Christians the rehabilitation of Bandera’s people, ‘whom the Orange people and their leader Yuschenko have equated with veterans of the Great Patriotic War, means that these authorities recognize and encourage their evil deeds, such as the mass murder of Orthodox priests and their leader Metropolitan Alexy (Gromadsky) of Kiev and All Ukraine for their faithfulness to the Mother Church and refusal to join the autocephalist schism’.
The Union of Orthodox Citizens recalled that in 1943-1944, OUN-UPA members eliminated hundreds of Orthodox priests of the canonical Ukrainian Orthodox Church, who were tortured and drowned in wells.
‘By rehabilitating the murderers of the metropolitan (of Kiev and All Ukraine - IF) and clergy of the canonical Orthodox Church, the Orange people try to justify their own lawless shady enterprises seeking to create the so-called ‘Ukrainian Local Church’, the authors of the statement believe.
The Union of Orthodox Citizens in Ukraine has also demanded that authorities should build a memorial to the bishops and priests who died at the hands of Bandera’s people.
- Islamists detained in central Moscow were trained in ISIL, planned terrorist attack in public transport - FSB (updated) 12 October 2015, 16:26
- Homosexuality deprives Elton John of creative energy, his former fan Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin believes 12 October 2015, 14:11
- Theology in Russia is listed among scientific specialities 12 October 2015, 11:56
- Four Islamists escape from penitentiary in Kyrgyzstan 12 October 2015, 11:19
- Russia does not want to get involved in Syria's interreligious conflicts - Putin 12 October 2015, 10:00
- Kremlin thanks Russian religious leaders for support fight against terror in Syria 09 October 2015, 17:51
- Russia's peace, welfare hinge on success of its air force operation in Syria - Patriarch Kirill 09 October 2015, 12:25
- Cleric from biggest mosque in south Kyrgyzstan sentenced to five years for extremism 09 October 2015, 10:22
- Number of Islamic State members in Afghanistan reaches 3,500 over past year - Russian diplomat 08 October 2015, 17:59
- Crimean Tatars 'do not have right' to leave their motherland 08 October 2015, 14:57
- Nicholas II's doctor, servants may be canonized 08 October 2015, 10:00
- Over half Russians trust religious organizations - poll 07 October 2015, 18:04
- Moscow denies Lavrov's meetings with Khamenei 07 October 2015, 17:19
- Russian operation in Syria is no relation to Sunni-Shiite conflict - Kadyrov 07 October 2015, 16:20
- Two Russians died from heart attacks during this hajj 07 October 2015, 16:06
- Moscow mufti dubs Saudi clerics' decision to declare jihad against Russia as 'independent action' 07 October 2015, 11:45
- IS might be deliberately bombing mosques in Syria to put blame on Russian Air Force - Russian Defense Ministry 07 October 2015, 10:24
- IS terrorists find shelter from Russian airstrikes in mosques - Russian Defense Ministry 07 October 2015, 10:00
- Members of Tajik Islamic Renaissance Party charged with organizing armed mutiny 06 October 2015, 11:17
- Three Hizb ut-Tahrir members arrested in Chelyabinsk 06 October 2015, 10:02
- Russia's chief rabbi calls on intl community to eliminate terrorists, their ideology 05 October 2015, 15:24
- Head of Polish Orthodox Church accuses Kiev of being unable to protect the faithful 05 October 2015, 10:05
- Vandals paint anti-Russian inscription on a church wall in Kiev 02 October 2015, 16:07
- Three ISIL members detained in Chechnya 02 October 2015, 16:02
- Renowned representative of the Russians Abroad is ready to give blood of Nicholas nephew for expertise 02 October 2015, 15:33
- Supreme mufti backs Russia's decision to launch military operation against ISIL 02 October 2015, 10:05
- Lavrov discusses situation in Mideast with OIC secretary-general 01 October 2015, 10:53
- Russian military participation in Syria should bring peace to region - patriarch Kirill 30 September 2015, 18:35
- Russian church constructed in Munich listed among most important architectural buildings 30 September 2015, 16:59
- Number of citizens of Russia, CIS states joining ISIS grows hourly, there are thousands of them – Kremlin 30 September 2015, 11:32