27 October 2006, 13:44
Orthodox public concerned for threat of neo-nazism in Ukraine
Kiev, October 27, Interfax - The Union of Orthodox Citizens in Ukraine fears that the decree on the rehabilitation of the Organization of Ukrainian Nationalists - Ukrainian Rebel Army (OUN-UPA) signed by Ukrainian President Victor Yuschenko will result in a split in the country.
‘By signing a decree on the rehabilitation of nazi accomplices, Yuschenko has made a fatal step towards split, because many people, cheated by the democratic rhetoric of the ‘Orange Revolution’, will never accept the rehabilitation of nazism, which is taking place exclusively at the suggestion of the Galician ‘elite’, reads the statement the Union has circulated on Friday.
According to its authors, it was Hitler’s intelligence that created and armed OUN-UPA, while repressing demonstratively those who resisted it.
‘It is impossible to reject the decisions of the Nuremberg tribunal which condemned the nazi Western-Ukrainian military unites, such as the SS-Galichina division and the Nachtigal battalion. OUN-UPA was an integral part of the nazi front in Ukraine’, the Union noted.
The statement also stresses that for Orthodox Christians the rehabilitation of Bandera’s people, ‘whom the Orange people and their leader Yuschenko have equated with veterans of the Great Patriotic War, means that these authorities recognize and encourage their evil deeds, such as the mass murder of Orthodox priests and their leader Metropolitan Alexy (Gromadsky) of Kiev and All Ukraine for their faithfulness to the Mother Church and refusal to join the autocephalist schism’.
The Union of Orthodox Citizens recalled that in 1943-1944, OUN-UPA members eliminated hundreds of Orthodox priests of the canonical Ukrainian Orthodox Church, who were tortured and drowned in wells.
‘By rehabilitating the murderers of the metropolitan (of Kiev and All Ukraine - IF) and clergy of the canonical Orthodox Church, the Orange people try to justify their own lawless shady enterprises seeking to create the so-called ‘Ukrainian Local Church’, the authors of the statement believe.
The Union of Orthodox Citizens in Ukraine has also demanded that authorities should build a memorial to the bishops and priests who died at the hands of Bandera’s people.
- Russian people, like Noah, urged not to let the world finally sink in sin, Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin believes 16 April 2014, 19:21
- Two chapels and baptistery set on fire in Ulyanovsk region 16 April 2014, 17:47
- Alleged ex-activist of Hizb ut-Tahrir going on trial in Moscow 16 April 2014, 17:11
- Gay parades not permitted in Sevastopol or Simferopol 16 April 2014, 16:59
- Two imams banned from mosque service in Kyrgyzstan 16 April 2014, 15:29
- Kadyrov wants to build a mosque in Sevastopol 16 April 2014, 11:49
- Murderer confessed in his crimes after becoming a believer 15 April 2014, 16:11
- Islamic radicals are unpopular in Crimea - expert 15 April 2014, 11:08
- Putin thanks Russia's chief rabbi for contribution in enhancing inter-confession peace 15 April 2014, 10:00
- About 170 tonnes of matzah made for Passover in Russia 14 April 2014, 10:08
- Two militants suspected killers of Dagestan village imam 14 April 2014, 10:00
- Odessa Diocese secretary moves to Moscow for fear of persecution 11 April 2014, 17:27
- WRPC Human Rights Center supports the idea of criminal proceedings against Gorbachev 11 April 2014, 16:31
- Group of Jehovah's Witnesses followers detained in Uzbekistan 11 April 2014, 14:23
- Roman Abramovich spends half million dollars on Passover celebrations 11 April 2014, 10:08
- Village mosque imam killed in Dagestan 11 April 2014, 10:00
- Russian oligarchs start a pilgrimage across Israeli desert 10 April 2014, 11:39
- Radical Islam followers from Europe, Central Asia fight for Syrian militants - Bortnikov 09 April 2014, 14:03
- Assailants of Dagestan madrasah teacher killed in police operation 09 April 2014, 11:24
- Iraqi Sharia court to try Bryansk pedagogue on earthenware smuggling counts 09 April 2014, 10:59
- Kostroma authorities to appeal court ruling over illegality of gay pride parade ban 09 April 2014, 10:13
- Terrorism, Wahhabism neutralized in Chechnya completely – Kadyrov 09 April 2014, 10:04
- Russian Foundation to deliver Holy Fire from Jerusalem to Crimea 09 April 2014, 10:00
- Priest Grozovsky to be extradited to Russia soon 08 April 2014, 19:45
- Activities of 18 intl religious extremists suppressed in four Russian regions - FSB chief 08 April 2014, 12:30
- Russian prosecutors ask Israel to extradite priest accused of child molestation – sources 07 April 2014, 17:01
- Siberian hermit Agafya Lykova may move from taiga 07 April 2014, 16:50
- Group of Hizb ut-Tahrir propagandists detained in Kyrgyzstan 07 April 2014, 16:18
- Patriarch Kirill compares events in Ukraine to 1917 revolution 07 April 2014, 15:30
- Cross set up, prayer said in North Pole 07 April 2014, 11:03