27 October 2006, 13:44
Orthodox public concerned for threat of neo-nazism in Ukraine
Kiev, October 27, Interfax - The Union of Orthodox Citizens in Ukraine fears that the decree on the rehabilitation of the Organization of Ukrainian Nationalists - Ukrainian Rebel Army (OUN-UPA) signed by Ukrainian President Victor Yuschenko will result in a split in the country.
‘By signing a decree on the rehabilitation of nazi accomplices, Yuschenko has made a fatal step towards split, because many people, cheated by the democratic rhetoric of the ‘Orange Revolution’, will never accept the rehabilitation of nazism, which is taking place exclusively at the suggestion of the Galician ‘elite’, reads the statement the Union has circulated on Friday.
According to its authors, it was Hitler’s intelligence that created and armed OUN-UPA, while repressing demonstratively those who resisted it.
‘It is impossible to reject the decisions of the Nuremberg tribunal which condemned the nazi Western-Ukrainian military unites, such as the SS-Galichina division and the Nachtigal battalion. OUN-UPA was an integral part of the nazi front in Ukraine’, the Union noted.
The statement also stresses that for Orthodox Christians the rehabilitation of Bandera’s people, ‘whom the Orange people and their leader Yuschenko have equated with veterans of the Great Patriotic War, means that these authorities recognize and encourage their evil deeds, such as the mass murder of Orthodox priests and their leader Metropolitan Alexy (Gromadsky) of Kiev and All Ukraine for their faithfulness to the Mother Church and refusal to join the autocephalist schism’.
The Union of Orthodox Citizens recalled that in 1943-1944, OUN-UPA members eliminated hundreds of Orthodox priests of the canonical Ukrainian Orthodox Church, who were tortured and drowned in wells.
‘By rehabilitating the murderers of the metropolitan (of Kiev and All Ukraine - IF) and clergy of the canonical Orthodox Church, the Orange people try to justify their own lawless shady enterprises seeking to create the so-called ‘Ukrainian Local Church’, the authors of the statement believe.
The Union of Orthodox Citizens in Ukraine has also demanded that authorities should build a memorial to the bishops and priests who died at the hands of Bandera’s people.
- Russian Muslim leader: Crimea has the right to choose to become part of Russia 07 March 2014, 10:04
- Acting Ukrainian president is a pastor and its prime is a scientologist 05 March 2014, 17:28
- Patriarch Kirill to meet with heads of Orthodox Churches in Istanbul 05 March 2014, 16:04
- Kadyrov orders to provide housing to Orthodox priests 05 March 2014, 10:01
- Crimean authorities promise to fight against Hizb ut-Tahrir 03 March 2014, 16:39
- Ideas calling for revision of moral values are dangerous - Lavrov 03 March 2014, 15:36
- Russia slams Western countries' attempts to "flirts" with Islamist rebels in Syria 03 March 2014, 10:11
- Russian patriarch asks Turchynov to stop ethnic discrimination 03 March 2014, 10:10
- Patriarch Kirill prays for peace in Ukraine 03 March 2014, 10:05
- Tatarstan mufti calls on Ukraine's Muslims to resolve disputes peacefully 28 February 2014, 14:35
- Stepashin meets Pope Francis 27 February 2014, 11:23
- Moscow urges Kiev to stop nation from sliding to religious confrontation 27 February 2014, 10:01
- Patriarch Kirill calls for end of violence in Ukraine 26 February 2014, 17:09
- Orthodox Christian fund wants to buy Kutuzov monument removed in Ukraine 26 February 2014, 16:00
- Old Russian icons are taken from Kiev exhibition ahead of schedule to escape the danger of damage 26 February 2014, 13:04
- Locum tenens of the Kievan See is skeptic about prospects of the dialogue with schismatics in the "time of trouble" 26 February 2014, 12:48
- World Russian People's Council threatens with legal prosecution to those who try to capture churches in Ukraine 26 February 2014, 12:12
- Moscow Patriarchate welcomes Metropolitan Onufry's election as head of Metropolitan Diocese in Kiev 26 February 2014, 10:01
- Metropolitan Onufry elected locum tenens of Kievan Metropolitan See 25 February 2014, 14:34
- Ukraine synagogue attacked 25 February 2014, 11:31
- Patriarch Kirill calls on Ukrainian authorities not to interfere in church affairs 24 February 2014, 17:53
- Patriarch Kirill prays for peace in Ukraine standing on his knees 24 February 2014, 16:57
- Tajik Islamists file lawsuit against special services, state-run television 21 February 2014, 16:03
- Requiem service for those killed in Ukraine held in the Kiev Laura of the Caves 21 February 2014, 10:54
- Renovation of Basilica of the Nativity in Bethlehem will cost 20 million 19 February 2014, 16:54
- A medical station set up on the grounds of the St. Michael's Cathedral in Kiev 19 February 2014, 15:42
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church calls for halt of bloodshed in Kiev 19 February 2014, 14:55
- Gay marriages don't make Russia, Europe closer to each other - Russian MP 19 February 2014, 14:00
- Detained terrorist group led by Osh mosque deputy imam - Kyrgyz police 19 February 2014, 12:33
- Patriarch Kirill's visit to Sochi was a great event for sportsmen, head of his press service says 19 February 2014, 10:01