27 October 2006, 13:44
Orthodox public concerned for threat of neo-nazism in Ukraine
Kiev, October 27, Interfax - The Union of Orthodox Citizens in Ukraine fears that the decree on the rehabilitation of the Organization of Ukrainian Nationalists - Ukrainian Rebel Army (OUN-UPA) signed by Ukrainian President Victor Yuschenko will result in a split in the country.
‘By signing a decree on the rehabilitation of nazi accomplices, Yuschenko has made a fatal step towards split, because many people, cheated by the democratic rhetoric of the ‘Orange Revolution’, will never accept the rehabilitation of nazism, which is taking place exclusively at the suggestion of the Galician ‘elite’, reads the statement the Union has circulated on Friday.
According to its authors, it was Hitler’s intelligence that created and armed OUN-UPA, while repressing demonstratively those who resisted it.
‘It is impossible to reject the decisions of the Nuremberg tribunal which condemned the nazi Western-Ukrainian military unites, such as the SS-Galichina division and the Nachtigal battalion. OUN-UPA was an integral part of the nazi front in Ukraine’, the Union noted.
The statement also stresses that for Orthodox Christians the rehabilitation of Bandera’s people, ‘whom the Orange people and their leader Yuschenko have equated with veterans of the Great Patriotic War, means that these authorities recognize and encourage their evil deeds, such as the mass murder of Orthodox priests and their leader Metropolitan Alexy (Gromadsky) of Kiev and All Ukraine for their faithfulness to the Mother Church and refusal to join the autocephalist schism’.
The Union of Orthodox Citizens recalled that in 1943-1944, OUN-UPA members eliminated hundreds of Orthodox priests of the canonical Ukrainian Orthodox Church, who were tortured and drowned in wells.
‘By rehabilitating the murderers of the metropolitan (of Kiev and All Ukraine - IF) and clergy of the canonical Orthodox Church, the Orange people try to justify their own lawless shady enterprises seeking to create the so-called ‘Ukrainian Local Church’, the authors of the statement believe.
The Union of Orthodox Citizens in Ukraine has also demanded that authorities should build a memorial to the bishops and priests who died at the hands of Bandera’s people.
- Russians see more threats from the USA than from radical Islamists - poll 21 October 2014, 14:52
- Archpriest Chaplin to Khodorkovsky: people basing on God's law instead of oligarchs and West will determine Russia's future 21 October 2014, 14:49
- Church arson reported in Ukraine's Chernigov Region 21 October 2014, 14:00
- Russian Jewish community sets example for Europe - Rabbi Lazar 21 October 2014, 11:42
- Over half of Russians say ISIL is threat - poll 20 October 2014, 15:18
- Obligatory introduction of electronic passports and universal fingerprinting make the way to absolute dictatorship - Russian church official believes 20 October 2014, 11:27
- About 1,000 Evangelical Christians gather in central Kiev to pray for Ukraine 20 October 2014, 10:33
- Metropolitan Hilarion, Pope Francis discuss Greek-Catholics' actions in Ukraine 20 October 2014, 10:04
- Moscow Patriarchate urges Catholics to jointly protect family at a legal level 17 October 2014, 12:03
- Russian Church urges Uniates to stop subversive activities against it in Ukraine 17 October 2014, 11:07
- Renowned Italian expert speaks about growing Christianophobia on Europe 17 October 2014, 10:06
- The Valaam Monastery to produce Italian sorts of cheese 16 October 2014, 17:58
- Kyrgyz parliament passes bill banning "gay propaganda" at 1st reading 16 October 2014, 15:39
- Orthodox human rights advocate suggests appointing OSCE curator on Russophobia 16 October 2014, 10:05
- Parents-Satanists call their baby Lucifer 16 October 2014, 10:02
- Eight Hizb ut-Tahrir figures arrested in Kazan 16 October 2014, 10:01
- Kazakhstan outlaws Al-Takfir wa al-Hijra 15 October 2014, 12:14
- Putin accuses human rights defenders of ignoring the persecution of Ukrainian Orthodox Church 15 October 2014, 10:11
- Monument to Nicholas II to open in Belgrade 14 October 2014, 14:26
- Serbian Ambassador criticizes the West for lack of attention to the problem of destroying churches in Kosovo 14 October 2014, 13:43
- It is time to begin developing a system of Islamic education within the country's religious institutions - FSB chief 14 October 2014, 12:54
- Patriarch Kirill asks Iraq president to protect Christians 14 October 2014, 10:05
- Schismatics occupy church in Ternopol Region of Ukraine 14 October 2014, 10:01
- Moscow Patriarchate urges to stop violence and threats against canonical Ukrainian Church 13 October 2014, 17:05
- Exact copy of the main Sevastopol Cathedral to appear in Moscow 13 October 2014, 16:34
- Over forty citizens of Georgia may be fighting in Syria on Islamic State side - media 10 October 2014, 18:06
- Most Russians unaware of ISIL, others see it as threat to peace, Russia - poll 09 October 2014, 18:12
- Extremist ideologists use unsanctioned U.S. operations in Syria to stoke radical sentiments - Russian Foreign Ministry 09 October 2014, 16:01
- They try to deprive Russia of spiritual weapon, which is more powerful than nuclear one - Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin 09 October 2014, 13:56
- Integration of Crimean Tatars will be lengthy process - Mufti Gainutdin 08 October 2014, 17:39