16 November 2006, 13:24
Russian Church representative calls Estonian plan to pull down the monument to the Soldier-Liberator a weak attempt to misdirect history
Moscow, November 16, Interfax - The Moscow Patriarchate criticized Estonian MPs’ plan to pull down the monument to the Soviet Soldier-Liberator in Tallinn.
‘The fight against a defenseless monument shows a certain weakness and is a desperate effort to revise and misdirect history. Historical gratitude is rare in the international relations,’ the head of the Moscow Patriarchate department for external church relations communication service Rev. Mikhail Prokopenko told Interfax.
Estonian authorities’ initiative to pull down the Soviet era monuments is ‘rather symbolic’ as it comes out in the year of the 60th anniversary of the Nuremberg Trials that condemned the Nazi war criminals and their ideology.
‘The tribunal seemed to finish any discussion of the war and those responsible for its unleashing and war crimes. It turns out that the answer is ‘no,’ as someone is trying to revise the WWII results. One can see the direction,’ he said.
The pulling down of monuments makes one recall many other tragic events of the 20th century, such as the public book-burning in different cities and the crosses thrown down from church cupolas,’ the priest added.
‘Our historic memory is not short and we should not allow a possibility of even a particle of such acts. I suggest to those in doubt to look at Hitler’s plans for the conquered nations,’ Rev. Mikhail remarked.
However, not all the ancestors of those who resolved to pull down the monument could have found ‘a place in the sun’ in the Third Reich, he said.
‘Their fortune would most probably have been very sad.’ It was only the sacrificial exploit of the Soviet soldiers that prevented the Nazi plans to be accomplished,’ the Moscow Patriarchate representative underscored.
He also mentioned the lack of pubic consensus concerning the monument and the Estonian society’s disunity as protest actions in Tallinn show.
‘That is why I think the hopes of certain Estonian politicians for the pulled down monument to consolidate and empower the Estonians as a nation are groundless,’ Rev. Mikhail concluded.
- Head of Russian Jews urges businessmen not to seek the tops of the Forbes list 23 August 2017, 15:05
- Wearing of clothes of 'destructive ideological movements' in Kazakhstan may be punishable by nearly $700 fine – bill 22 August 2017, 18:04
- Patriarch Kirill considers Orthodox, Catholic Churches' joint provision of assistance to Middle Eastern countries uniting factor 22 August 2017, 17:40
- New stage begins in Russian Church-Vatican relationship - Patriarch Kirill 22 August 2017, 17:38
- Putin to discuss bilateral agenda, Syria, Ukraine with Vatican secretary of state – Kremlin 22 August 2017, 12:54
- Kazakhstan planning to ban wearing clothing of 'destructive ideological movements' 22 August 2017, 10:03
- Romanovs confident about tsar's remains authenticity - royal family union 21 August 2017, 18:41
- Putin proposes creating 'Russian Mecca' in Khersones 21 August 2017, 10:37
- Russia puts Jehovah's Witnesses on prohibited organization list 17 August 2017, 14:10
- Vatican secretary of state to hold talks in Russia 17 August 2017, 13:14
- Vatican secretary of state won't discuss prospects for pope's Russia visit in Moscow - Russian Catholic official 17 August 2017, 12:33
- Increase of number of repatriates from Russia to Israel unrelated to actual relocation – FJCR 17 August 2017, 10:00
- Russian Jews call on Trump to suppress anti-Semitic outbreaks in U.S. 16 August 2017, 19:29
- State Duma dubs U.S. Dept of State's report on oppression of religious minorities in Russia as unprofessional 16 August 2017, 10:11
- Russia tops list of countries by emigration to Israel 16 August 2017, 10:07
- Patriarch Kirill, Vatican state secretary to discuss Ukraine situation 16 August 2017, 10:00
- Number of Russian Muslims to undertake hajj increases by 3,000, to 23,500 people, this year 11 August 2017, 13:38
- Priest from Yevpatoria asks to set up a nudist beach in Crimea 10 August 2017, 10:51
- March of the Living to be held in Rostov region to commemorate Jews massacred by Nazi 09 August 2017, 10:00
- Erdogan to attend OIC summit in Astana 08 August 2017, 15:09
- Protestant pastor jailed for 3 years for extremism in Tajikistan 08 August 2017, 10:17
- Priest detained in Vitebsk brothel to be temporary banned from ministry - Russian Orthodox Church 08 August 2017, 10:14
- Russian Jews appalled by reproaches of trying to monetize Holocaust tragedy 08 August 2017, 10:00
- Head of Russian old believers does not believe in overcoming schism with the Moscow Patriarchate 07 August 2017, 13:53
- Over 100 Georgian prisoners imprisoned in Istanbul demand to set up a corner for prayers 07 August 2017, 11:12
- Russian MP congratulates Georgian patriarch on his name day in Tbilisi – media 04 August 2017, 12:15
- Govt prioritizes stronger inter-ethnic, inter-religious accord – Putin 03 August 2017, 15:23
- FJCR President welcomes law on the Victory Day adopted by the knesset 28 July 2017, 14:10
- Kremlin receives no notice from Kadyrov on readiness to resign as Chechnya head to defend Al-Aqsa Mosque 28 July 2017, 13:26
- Kadyrov suggests holy sites on Temple Mount be returned under Jordan's control 28 July 2017, 10:31