16 November 2006, 13:24
Russian Church representative calls Estonian plan to pull down the monument to the Soldier-Liberator a weak attempt to misdirect history
Moscow, November 16, Interfax - The Moscow Patriarchate criticized Estonian MPs’ plan to pull down the monument to the Soviet Soldier-Liberator in Tallinn.
‘The fight against a defenseless monument shows a certain weakness and is a desperate effort to revise and misdirect history. Historical gratitude is rare in the international relations,’ the head of the Moscow Patriarchate department for external church relations communication service Rev. Mikhail Prokopenko told Interfax.
Estonian authorities’ initiative to pull down the Soviet era monuments is ‘rather symbolic’ as it comes out in the year of the 60th anniversary of the Nuremberg Trials that condemned the Nazi war criminals and their ideology.
‘The tribunal seemed to finish any discussion of the war and those responsible for its unleashing and war crimes. It turns out that the answer is ‘no,’ as someone is trying to revise the WWII results. One can see the direction,’ he said.
The pulling down of monuments makes one recall many other tragic events of the 20th century, such as the public book-burning in different cities and the crosses thrown down from church cupolas,’ the priest added.
‘Our historic memory is not short and we should not allow a possibility of even a particle of such acts. I suggest to those in doubt to look at Hitler’s plans for the conquered nations,’ Rev. Mikhail remarked.
However, not all the ancestors of those who resolved to pull down the monument could have found ‘a place in the sun’ in the Third Reich, he said.
‘Their fortune would most probably have been very sad.’ It was only the sacrificial exploit of the Soviet soldiers that prevented the Nazi plans to be accomplished,’ the Moscow Patriarchate representative underscored.
He also mentioned the lack of pubic consensus concerning the monument and the Estonian society’s disunity as protest actions in Tallinn show.
‘That is why I think the hopes of certain Estonian politicians for the pulled down monument to consolidate and empower the Estonians as a nation are groundless,’ Rev. Mikhail concluded.
- Klitschko overturns decision to strip Moscow Patriarchate of tax break 30 January 2015, 10:17
- Russian citizens find publication of cartoons insulting people's religious feelings unacceptable - poll 30 January 2015, 10:16
- Church to commemorate perished Russian sailors to be build in Japan 30 January 2015, 10:08
- Kyrgyz protest against Prophet Muhammad cartoons calls for boycott of French perfumes 29 January 2015, 14:14
- Russians are against religious cartoons - poll 28 January 2015, 17:00
- Russian Orthodox Church concerned about church arsons in Ukraine 28 January 2015, 14:17
- Rabbi Lazar thanks WWII veterans for saving world from fascism 28 January 2015, 10:02
- Police bust female extremist cell in southern Kyrgyzstan 27 January 2015, 17:54
- Church set on fire in Kiev 27 January 2015, 16:19
- Russia calls for inquiry into Babi Yar church arson 27 January 2015, 10:07
- Patriarch Kirill condemns cartoons of Prophet Muhammad 26 January 2015, 18:45
- Over two thirds of Russians aware of Charlie Hebdo attack - poll 26 January 2015, 17:08
- Church torched in Babi Yar 26 January 2015, 16:40
- Some 3,000 strong protest in Jalal-Abad against Muhammad caricatures 26 January 2015, 14:47
- Roskomnadzor issues warning to newspaper RBC for publishing images offensive to Muslims 26 January 2015, 12:10
- Peskov would like "Leviathan" movie to be released in Russia 26 January 2015, 10:06
- Duma calls on journalists not to incite religious hatred 26 January 2015, 10:05
- Warsaw's stance insults memory of Auschwitz liberators - FJCR head 23 January 2015, 13:17
- Russia could be one of world's last civilizations - Church official 23 January 2015, 10:16
- Dagestan leader slams insults to Muslims' religious feelings 23 January 2015, 10:05
- Russia needs to revive Soviet-era sense of solidarity - Patriarch Kirill 22 January 2015, 19:11
- Russian political parties must not destroy basic values - patriarch Kirill 22 January 2015, 19:01
- Russian bishop blasts child euthanasia, abortions 22 January 2015, 18:13
- Lavrov considers caricatures on religious topics tasteless 22 January 2015, 10:44
- Church will support fight against nationalism and Nazism - Patriarch 22 January 2015, 10:19
- U.S., French, Israeli flags burned during Baku protest against Muhammad cartoons 21 January 2015, 18:37
- Russian Church expresses solidarity with Muslims who protested in Grozny 21 January 2015, 10:03
- Bishkek rally demands ban on Prophet Muhammad cartoons 20 January 2015, 13:53
- Israeli court orders priest Grozovsky extradition to Russia, defense planning to appeal 19 January 2015, 18:02
- Body of Georgian priest killed in fire on Norman Atlantic ferry taken to Georgia 19 January 2015, 17:00