16 November 2006, 13:24
Russian Church representative calls Estonian plan to pull down the monument to the Soldier-Liberator a weak attempt to misdirect history
Moscow, November 16, Interfax - The Moscow Patriarchate criticized Estonian MPs’ plan to pull down the monument to the Soviet Soldier-Liberator in Tallinn.
‘The fight against a defenseless monument shows a certain weakness and is a desperate effort to revise and misdirect history. Historical gratitude is rare in the international relations,’ the head of the Moscow Patriarchate department for external church relations communication service Rev. Mikhail Prokopenko told Interfax.
Estonian authorities’ initiative to pull down the Soviet era monuments is ‘rather symbolic’ as it comes out in the year of the 60th anniversary of the Nuremberg Trials that condemned the Nazi war criminals and their ideology.
‘The tribunal seemed to finish any discussion of the war and those responsible for its unleashing and war crimes. It turns out that the answer is ‘no,’ as someone is trying to revise the WWII results. One can see the direction,’ he said.
The pulling down of monuments makes one recall many other tragic events of the 20th century, such as the public book-burning in different cities and the crosses thrown down from church cupolas,’ the priest added.
‘Our historic memory is not short and we should not allow a possibility of even a particle of such acts. I suggest to those in doubt to look at Hitler’s plans for the conquered nations,’ Rev. Mikhail remarked.
However, not all the ancestors of those who resolved to pull down the monument could have found ‘a place in the sun’ in the Third Reich, he said.
‘Their fortune would most probably have been very sad.’ It was only the sacrificial exploit of the Soviet soldiers that prevented the Nazi plans to be accomplished,’ the Moscow Patriarchate representative underscored.
He also mentioned the lack of pubic consensus concerning the monument and the Estonian society’s disunity as protest actions in Tallinn show.
‘That is why I think the hopes of certain Estonian politicians for the pulled down monument to consolidate and empower the Estonians as a nation are groundless,’ Rev. Mikhail concluded.
- 82% of Russians consider unacceptable jokes about the Church 19 February 2018, 17:23
- Investigators probing Kizlyar shooter's affiliation with extremist organizations – Peskov 19 February 2018, 14:02
- Kadyrov says shocked by Kizlyar church attack 19 February 2018, 11:05
- Patriarch Kirill sees shooting in Dagestan as provocation aimed at causing discord between Orthodox, Muslims 19 February 2018, 10:39
- Patriarch tells Jordanian king about reason for meeting with pope 15 February 2018, 18:32
- Land for building a church in Portugal allotted to the Russian Orthodox Church 14 February 2018, 19:09
- Azerbaijani religious leaders to discuss Aliyev in sermons before election 14 February 2018, 16:55
- Patriarch Kirill meets with Abbas, favors preserving Jerusalem's special status 14 February 2018, 13:12
- Patriarch Kirill, Pope Francis haven't planned new meeting - Metropolitan Hilarion 12 February 2018, 18:23
- The Russian Church considers the Kremlin list as direct pressure of the USA on Russian authorities and electorate 12 February 2018, 14:42
- Chief rabbi of Russia - against initiative of Poland law-makers to punish for wording 'Polish death camps' 12 February 2018, 11:30
- Church School of Post-Graduate and Doctoral Studies obtained state accreditation in Russia 09 February 2018, 18:02
- Ukrainian Security Service initiates a case against UOC priest for a post with St. Georgy ribbon in Facebook 09 February 2018, 17:23
- Quotas for tourists visiting St. Basil’s cathedral can be introduced after 2019 09 February 2018, 13:05
- Russian pro-lifer thanks Trump for struggling against abortions 09 February 2018, 11:34
- Patriarch Kirill prays for the repose of Russian pilot Roman Filipov killed in Syria 09 February 2018, 11:21
- Patriarch Kirill speaks of 'unprecedented pressure' for purpose of compromising Russia's sports achievements 05 February 2018, 11:05
- Catalogue of Christian shrines destroyed in Syria compiled by Orthodox and Catholics will be represented in Vienna 02 February 2018, 17:28
- Russian society not ready for pope to visit - Catholic priest 02 February 2018, 14:22
- Patriarch Kirill blessed Russian Olympic athletes, urging them to mind personal responsibility before the country 01 February 2018, 16:54
- An ambulance was bought on money saved on flowers for Patriarch Kirill 01 February 2018, 14:49
- Putin to congratulate Patriarch Kirill on anniversary of his enthronement on Thursday 01 February 2018, 12:41
- Twelve held in south Kazakhstan for extremism propaganda on social media 01 February 2018, 10:49
- Attempts to deny Holocaust, belittle USSR's role in victory over Nazis must be foiled - Putin 29 January 2018, 18:12
- Russian Jews call on Poland to allow Russia's participation in building Sobibor memorial 26 January 2018, 18:04
- Patriarch Kirill alarmed by spread of cryptocurrencies 25 January 2018, 17:19
- Cooperation with secular universities makes Islamic education 'fundamental' - Putin 25 January 2018, 17:04
- Russia without future if it follows Europe's example in issues of religion - Deputy Speaker Tolstoy 25 January 2018, 17:00
- Priest Grozovsky's lawyers file appeal in child abuse case 25 January 2018, 15:35
- Govt to continue supporting Islamic education – Putin 25 January 2018, 11:23