16 November 2006, 13:24
Russian Church representative calls Estonian plan to pull down the monument to the Soldier-Liberator a weak attempt to misdirect history
Moscow, November 16, Interfax - The Moscow Patriarchate criticized Estonian MPs’ plan to pull down the monument to the Soviet Soldier-Liberator in Tallinn.
‘The fight against a defenseless monument shows a certain weakness and is a desperate effort to revise and misdirect history. Historical gratitude is rare in the international relations,’ the head of the Moscow Patriarchate department for external church relations communication service Rev. Mikhail Prokopenko told Interfax.
Estonian authorities’ initiative to pull down the Soviet era monuments is ‘rather symbolic’ as it comes out in the year of the 60th anniversary of the Nuremberg Trials that condemned the Nazi war criminals and their ideology.
‘The tribunal seemed to finish any discussion of the war and those responsible for its unleashing and war crimes. It turns out that the answer is ‘no,’ as someone is trying to revise the WWII results. One can see the direction,’ he said.
The pulling down of monuments makes one recall many other tragic events of the 20th century, such as the public book-burning in different cities and the crosses thrown down from church cupolas,’ the priest added.
‘Our historic memory is not short and we should not allow a possibility of even a particle of such acts. I suggest to those in doubt to look at Hitler’s plans for the conquered nations,’ Rev. Mikhail remarked.
However, not all the ancestors of those who resolved to pull down the monument could have found ‘a place in the sun’ in the Third Reich, he said.
‘Their fortune would most probably have been very sad.’ It was only the sacrificial exploit of the Soviet soldiers that prevented the Nazi plans to be accomplished,’ the Moscow Patriarchate representative underscored.
He also mentioned the lack of pubic consensus concerning the monument and the Estonian society’s disunity as protest actions in Tallinn show.
‘That is why I think the hopes of certain Estonian politicians for the pulled down monument to consolidate and empower the Estonians as a nation are groundless,’ Rev. Mikhail concluded.
- Female bikers will carry out a pilgrimage on bikes across Russia 28 April 2017, 21:09
- Military court sentences Moscow mosque imam charged with justifying terrorism to 3 years' imprisonment 28 April 2017, 19:37
- St. Nicholas relics to be brought to Russia from Italy for first time in 930 years on May 21-28 28 April 2017, 13:01
- St. Isaac Cathedral can gain a status of patriarchal representation 27 April 2017, 21:27
- Lenin should be buried out of compassion for his soul, Russian Muslims and Jews believe 27 April 2017, 21:26
- FJCR urges Trump to prove his adherence to struggling against anti-Semitism 27 April 2017, 12:22
- Russia conveyed 1.5 tons of humanitarian aid to residents of a Christian city in Syria 26 April 2017, 15:54
- Stepashin tells about Yeltsin's plans to demolish Lenin's mausoleum 26 April 2017, 14:18
- Unidentified criminals committed an arson at the territory of a Moscow Patriarchate church 25 April 2017, 18:09
- Chechen mufti meets with Syrian president in Damascus – Kadyrov 25 April 2017, 10:43
- Special services have no info on persecution complaints from sexual minorities in Chechnya – Kremlin 25 April 2017, 10:16
- EU should wait for reports on persecution of gays in Chechnya to be confirmed before condemning – Lavrov 25 April 2017, 10:15
- Public prosecutor seeks 3.5 years in prison to Moscow mosque imam charged with terrorism justification 25 April 2017, 10:00
- Church of Moscow Patriarchate burglarized, desecrated in Odessa 24 April 2017, 17:40
- Russian sappers demined Orthodox church in Aleppo 24 April 2017, 13:52
- Two criminals plotting to murder religious figures eliminated in Stavropol Territory 24 April 2017, 10:00
- Volodin calls for relying on Putin's opinion, avoiding radical moves in Lenin's reburial issue 21 April 2017, 13:02
- Zyuganov demands Russian Security Council guarantee Lenin not to be reburied 21 April 2017, 12:46
- Family of a Russian priest creates robots and will represent them in the USA 21 April 2017, 10:18
- Russian Supreme Court declares Russian branch of Jehovah's Witnesses extremist organization, orders its closure 20 April 2017, 19:26
- Over half of Russians believe that Lenin should be buried - poll 20 April 2017, 18:25
- Lenin reburial information attack on Communist Party - party 20 April 2017, 18:22
- United Russia not to support legislation on Lenin's reburial as it splits society - Duma deputy 20 April 2017, 18:17
- Duma members propose bill to regulate burial of Lenin's body 20 April 2017, 16:10
- Ukrainian army has sent about 500 Wahhabis to Mariupol, DNR says 20 April 2017, 13:18
- Kremlin has no reasons not to believe info received from head of Chechnya on human rights observance in republic – Peskov (updated) 20 April 2017, 13:05
- Lavrov discusses int'l issues, Afghanistan with Prince Aga Khan IV 20 April 2017, 11:23
- Russian ombudsman suspects reports on gay men's harassment in Chechnya may be false 20 April 2017, 11:15
- Russian church desecrated in Israel 18 April 2017, 18:32
- Patriarch Kirill surprised to see no intl reaction to violence against Church in Ukraine 18 April 2017, 18:28