16 November 2006, 13:24
Russian Church representative calls Estonian plan to pull down the monument to the Soldier-Liberator a weak attempt to misdirect history
Moscow, November 16, Interfax - The Moscow Patriarchate criticized Estonian MPs’ plan to pull down the monument to the Soviet Soldier-Liberator in Tallinn.
‘The fight against a defenseless monument shows a certain weakness and is a desperate effort to revise and misdirect history. Historical gratitude is rare in the international relations,’ the head of the Moscow Patriarchate department for external church relations communication service Rev. Mikhail Prokopenko told Interfax.
Estonian authorities’ initiative to pull down the Soviet era monuments is ‘rather symbolic’ as it comes out in the year of the 60th anniversary of the Nuremberg Trials that condemned the Nazi war criminals and their ideology.
‘The tribunal seemed to finish any discussion of the war and those responsible for its unleashing and war crimes. It turns out that the answer is ‘no,’ as someone is trying to revise the WWII results. One can see the direction,’ he said.
The pulling down of monuments makes one recall many other tragic events of the 20th century, such as the public book-burning in different cities and the crosses thrown down from church cupolas,’ the priest added.
‘Our historic memory is not short and we should not allow a possibility of even a particle of such acts. I suggest to those in doubt to look at Hitler’s plans for the conquered nations,’ Rev. Mikhail remarked.
However, not all the ancestors of those who resolved to pull down the monument could have found ‘a place in the sun’ in the Third Reich, he said.
‘Their fortune would most probably have been very sad.’ It was only the sacrificial exploit of the Soviet soldiers that prevented the Nazi plans to be accomplished,’ the Moscow Patriarchate representative underscored.
He also mentioned the lack of pubic consensus concerning the monument and the Estonian society’s disunity as protest actions in Tallinn show.
‘That is why I think the hopes of certain Estonian politicians for the pulled down monument to consolidate and empower the Estonians as a nation are groundless,’ Rev. Mikhail concluded.
- China to close border with Kyrgyzstan for Eid al-Fitr holiday 25 July 2014, 15:10
- Berel Lazar urges Jews to support Israelis by studying the Torah and multiplying good affairs 25 July 2014, 12:24
- Sounds of explosions accompany church consecration in Donbass 24 July 2014, 16:28
- Islamist sentenced in Uzbekistan 23 July 2014, 13:40
- Moscow worried by persecution of religious minorities in Iraq - Foreign Ministry statement 23 July 2014, 10:31
- Banner with the Savior on it consecrated for home guards army in Donetsk church 22 July 2014, 16:30
- Islamists recruiting rebels to combat in Syria sentenced in Kazakhstan 22 July 2014, 16:07
- Russian Church calls on people responsible for plane crash in Ukraine to say truth before God, people 22 July 2014, 13:26
- Fight with Armenian priest takes place in Tbilisi near Armenian church 21 July 2014, 16:33
- Donbass won't forgive Kiev murders of peaceful citizens, the UOC spokesman believes 21 July 2014, 15:15
- Patriarch Kirill is concerned with attempts to legally destroy human morality 21 July 2014, 13:32
- Russia poses no military threat - Patriarch Kirill 21 July 2014, 10:03
- Putin expects Orthodox Church to contribute to Middle East settlement 21 July 2014, 10:01
- Russia's strength in long-standing values - Putin 18 July 2014, 17:33
- Patriarch Kirill believes sanctity is Russians' national idea 18 July 2014, 14:41
- Sea Arctic Expedition launched in frames of celebrations dedicated to St. Sergius 700th anniversary 17 July 2014, 14:55
- Support for separation of Ukrainian Church from Moscow Patriarchate weak among bishops - Metropolitan Hilarion 17 July 2014, 10:12
- Russian Church chagrined by Church of England vote allowing women to be bishops 17 July 2014, 10:04
- Russia creates system to monitor inter-ethnic, inter-confessional relations 16 July 2014, 12:35
- Former Archbishop of Canterbury's opinion on euthanasia makes him an opponent of his own Church - renowned priest 16 July 2014, 11:24
- Rabbi supports program of building Orthodox churches in Moscow 15 July 2014, 16:08
- Russian church official believes fight for God's truth is going in Ukraine 15 July 2014, 16:06
- Hundreds of children kneel down to pray for peace in Ukraine in Yaroslavl monastery 15 July 2014, 15:28
- Ukrainian Church repeats Moscow patriarch will not attend Christianization of Russia events 15 July 2014, 09:51
- Russia's chief rabbi thanks Putin for support to Jewish community 10 July 2014, 12:09
- Russian Jews concerned over rehabilitation of Nazism in Ukraine 10 July 2014, 10:50
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin urges to learn a spiritual lesson of Brazil-Germany match 09 July 2014, 18:04
- Azeri leader calls for stronger Islamic solidarity 09 July 2014, 17:48
- Russia's Jews point to important agenda of Putin's upcoming meeting with rabbis 09 July 2014, 10:00
- Putin to discuss neo-Nazism, anti-Semitism with foreign rabbis 08 July 2014, 15:32