16 November 2006, 13:24
Russian Church representative calls Estonian plan to pull down the monument to the Soldier-Liberator a weak attempt to misdirect history
Moscow, November 16, Interfax - The Moscow Patriarchate criticized Estonian MPs’ plan to pull down the monument to the Soviet Soldier-Liberator in Tallinn.
‘The fight against a defenseless monument shows a certain weakness and is a desperate effort to revise and misdirect history. Historical gratitude is rare in the international relations,’ the head of the Moscow Patriarchate department for external church relations communication service Rev. Mikhail Prokopenko told Interfax.
Estonian authorities’ initiative to pull down the Soviet era monuments is ‘rather symbolic’ as it comes out in the year of the 60th anniversary of the Nuremberg Trials that condemned the Nazi war criminals and their ideology.
‘The tribunal seemed to finish any discussion of the war and those responsible for its unleashing and war crimes. It turns out that the answer is ‘no,’ as someone is trying to revise the WWII results. One can see the direction,’ he said.
The pulling down of monuments makes one recall many other tragic events of the 20th century, such as the public book-burning in different cities and the crosses thrown down from church cupolas,’ the priest added.
‘Our historic memory is not short and we should not allow a possibility of even a particle of such acts. I suggest to those in doubt to look at Hitler’s plans for the conquered nations,’ Rev. Mikhail remarked.
However, not all the ancestors of those who resolved to pull down the monument could have found ‘a place in the sun’ in the Third Reich, he said.
‘Their fortune would most probably have been very sad.’ It was only the sacrificial exploit of the Soviet soldiers that prevented the Nazi plans to be accomplished,’ the Moscow Patriarchate representative underscored.
He also mentioned the lack of pubic consensus concerning the monument and the Estonian society’s disunity as protest actions in Tallinn show.
‘That is why I think the hopes of certain Estonian politicians for the pulled down monument to consolidate and empower the Estonians as a nation are groundless,’ Rev. Mikhail concluded.
- Lavrov meets with Orthodox monastery abbess in Guatemala 27 March 2015, 10:46
- Pilot Savchenko’s files contain information about torturing a priest 26 March 2015, 19:25
- Kolomoisky's resignation is the sign of Ukraine's growing dependence on the West, Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin believes 26 March 2015, 18:26
- Russians trained by ISIL may be used against home country 26 March 2015, 15:08
- Kyrgyzstan outlaws Islamic State 25 March 2015, 15:36
- Chechen leader, Jordanian king discuss fight against IS 25 March 2015, 10:00
- Moscow Patriarchate priest assaulted in west Ukraine 24 March 2015, 10:00
- Ukrainians trust Church the most - poll 23 March 2015, 17:22
- Over 5,000 mercenaries from CIS fight on ISIS side - expert 23 March 2015, 16:15
- Schoolchildren from Turkey, Italy, Egypt to discuss fight against religious extremism in St. Petersburg 23 March 2015, 12:57
- Uzbekistan worried about ISIL activity near its borders 23 March 2015, 12:19
- Patriarch Kirill awards Lavrov 23 March 2015, 11:28
- Chubais doubts Nemtsov murder motivated by religious hatred 23 March 2015, 10:15
- IS recruiters targeting North Caucasus students - envoy Melikov 23 March 2015, 10:00
- Russian Orthodox Church concerned about legalization of same-sex "marriage", abortion issue, and secularism in Europe 20 March 2015, 17:35
- The Russian Church conveys twenty five tones of humanitarian help to Donbass residents 20 March 2015, 14:41
- Another Moscow Patriarchate church seized in Ukraine 20 March 2015, 10:00
- Leader of women's wing of Hizb ut-Tahrir detained, arms cache discovered in south Kyrgyzstan 19 March 2015, 10:02
- Head of the Russian State Archive suggests to exhume remains of the tzar family to examine them again 18 March 2015, 16:28
- Russian Central Muslim Board urges artists to be more delicate about believers' feelings 16 March 2015, 14:57
- Russia is urged to revive Christianity in Europe - Patriarch Kirill 16 March 2015, 14:21
- Fire in Novodevichy Convent bell tower did not damage building 16 March 2015, 13:42
- Tannhauser opera staged in Novosibirsk desecrates Christian symbols - Mufti of Moscow 13 March 2015, 18:44
- Patriarch Kirill tried the role of a schoolboy at the Moscow Region Gymnasium 13 March 2015, 17:14
- Fire in bell tower of Nizhny Novgorod cathedral extinguished 12 March 2015, 17:42
- Church to help mortgage debtors settle their problems and asks authorities not to leave them in the lurch 12 March 2015, 16:53
- Russia to import halal meat to Arab countries 12 March 2015, 13:25
- Alexander Nevsky Cathedral burning in Nizhny Novgorod 12 March 2015, 12:54
- Famous Uzbek Islamic theologian dies in gym 12 March 2015, 10:26
- Court drops case against Novosibirsk opera theater director 12 March 2015, 10:07