16 November 2006, 13:24
Russian Church representative calls Estonian plan to pull down the monument to the Soldier-Liberator a weak attempt to misdirect history
Moscow, November 16, Interfax - The Moscow Patriarchate criticized Estonian MPs’ plan to pull down the monument to the Soviet Soldier-Liberator in Tallinn.
‘The fight against a defenseless monument shows a certain weakness and is a desperate effort to revise and misdirect history. Historical gratitude is rare in the international relations,’ the head of the Moscow Patriarchate department for external church relations communication service Rev. Mikhail Prokopenko told Interfax.
Estonian authorities’ initiative to pull down the Soviet era monuments is ‘rather symbolic’ as it comes out in the year of the 60th anniversary of the Nuremberg Trials that condemned the Nazi war criminals and their ideology.
‘The tribunal seemed to finish any discussion of the war and those responsible for its unleashing and war crimes. It turns out that the answer is ‘no,’ as someone is trying to revise the WWII results. One can see the direction,’ he said.
The pulling down of monuments makes one recall many other tragic events of the 20th century, such as the public book-burning in different cities and the crosses thrown down from church cupolas,’ the priest added.
‘Our historic memory is not short and we should not allow a possibility of even a particle of such acts. I suggest to those in doubt to look at Hitler’s plans for the conquered nations,’ Rev. Mikhail remarked.
However, not all the ancestors of those who resolved to pull down the monument could have found ‘a place in the sun’ in the Third Reich, he said.
‘Their fortune would most probably have been very sad.’ It was only the sacrificial exploit of the Soviet soldiers that prevented the Nazi plans to be accomplished,’ the Moscow Patriarchate representative underscored.
He also mentioned the lack of pubic consensus concerning the monument and the Estonian society’s disunity as protest actions in Tallinn show.
‘That is why I think the hopes of certain Estonian politicians for the pulled down monument to consolidate and empower the Estonians as a nation are groundless,’ Rev. Mikhail concluded.
- Islamist with improvised bombs detained in Bishkek 02 December 2016, 18:33
- Azerbaijani president concerned by confrontation in Muslim world 02 December 2016, 18:28
- Russian Orthodox Church sees care for people in presidential Address 02 December 2016, 13:51
- Old curse was broken when the Cathedral of Christ the Savior was built in Moscow 01 December 2016, 16:12
- Rabbi Lazar believes Russians give example of love and kindness 01 December 2016, 15:11
- Leading Syrian theologian supported a legal ban on Wahhabism 01 December 2016, 14:48
- Latvia's entry ban on Kurayev another Russophobic gesture - Russian Foreign Ministry 01 December 2016, 11:29
- Jewish community of Russia intercedes for Tatiana Navka 29 November 2016, 18:21
- Mufti of Ukraine is afraid that the country will be turned in ISIS territory 28 November 2016, 17:02
- Patriarch Kirill calls Fidel Castro a sincere friend of the Russian Church 28 November 2016, 12:43
- Latvia's entry ban for Protodeacon Kurayev "beyond comprehension" - Russian embassy 28 November 2016, 11:50
- Turkey does not recognize the Kiev Muslim Board of Crimea 25 November 2016, 18:29
- Patriarch Kirill to consecrate church of Russian spiritual-cultural center in Paris 25 November 2016, 18:20
- Russians mostly confide in the president, army and Church 25 November 2016, 13:25
- European Parliament names Russian religious organizations instruments of external propaganda 23 November 2016, 19:55
- Six million Christians emigrated from Middle East over past 100 years – expert 23 November 2016, 16:02
- U.S. Orthodox believers expect Trump will develop good relations with Russia 23 November 2016, 11:43
- Patriarch Kirill to President Putin: we have built supporting structure for state-church relationship 23 November 2016, 11:00
- Russian Orthodox Church one of main spiritual pylons of Russian statehood - Putin 23 November 2016, 10:45
- Putin notes Patriarch Kirill's important contribution into joint work of church, state 23 November 2016, 10:40
- Putin, Medvedev visit Christ the Savior Cathedral to offer birthday congratulations to patriarch 23 November 2016, 10:30
- Patriarch Kirill receives piece of Francis of Assisi relics as birthday gift from Pope 23 November 2016, 10:25
- Group of Catholics in Argentine decide to covert in Orthodoxy after Patriarch Kirill's sermon 22 November 2016, 18:58
- Patriarch Kirill ready to work with Vatican on peace in Syria 22 November 2016, 18:50
- Patriarch Kirill says "genocide of Christian population" taking place in Middle East 22 November 2016, 10:30
- Christ and apostles are losers from the ordinary point of view, Patriarch Kirill believes 21 November 2016, 20:05
- Trump's pre-election statements offer hope - Patriarch Kirill 21 November 2016, 18:40
- Ilia II thanks Patriarch Kirill for recognizing Abkhazia as territory of Georgian Church 21 November 2016, 14:30
- Sailors bake prosphoras on the Admiral Kuznetsov cruiser 21 November 2016, 14:22
- Moscow Patriarchate will never allow independence of Ukrainian Orthodox Church - Patriarch Kirill 21 November 2016, 13:59