16 November 2006, 13:24
Russian Church representative calls Estonian plan to pull down the monument to the Soldier-Liberator a weak attempt to misdirect history
Moscow, November 16, Interfax - The Moscow Patriarchate criticized Estonian MPs’ plan to pull down the monument to the Soviet Soldier-Liberator in Tallinn.
‘The fight against a defenseless monument shows a certain weakness and is a desperate effort to revise and misdirect history. Historical gratitude is rare in the international relations,’ the head of the Moscow Patriarchate department for external church relations communication service Rev. Mikhail Prokopenko told Interfax.
Estonian authorities’ initiative to pull down the Soviet era monuments is ‘rather symbolic’ as it comes out in the year of the 60th anniversary of the Nuremberg Trials that condemned the Nazi war criminals and their ideology.
‘The tribunal seemed to finish any discussion of the war and those responsible for its unleashing and war crimes. It turns out that the answer is ‘no,’ as someone is trying to revise the WWII results. One can see the direction,’ he said.
The pulling down of monuments makes one recall many other tragic events of the 20th century, such as the public book-burning in different cities and the crosses thrown down from church cupolas,’ the priest added.
‘Our historic memory is not short and we should not allow a possibility of even a particle of such acts. I suggest to those in doubt to look at Hitler’s plans for the conquered nations,’ Rev. Mikhail remarked.
However, not all the ancestors of those who resolved to pull down the monument could have found ‘a place in the sun’ in the Third Reich, he said.
‘Their fortune would most probably have been very sad.’ It was only the sacrificial exploit of the Soviet soldiers that prevented the Nazi plans to be accomplished,’ the Moscow Patriarchate representative underscored.
He also mentioned the lack of pubic consensus concerning the monument and the Estonian society’s disunity as protest actions in Tallinn show.
‘That is why I think the hopes of certain Estonian politicians for the pulled down monument to consolidate and empower the Estonians as a nation are groundless,’ Rev. Mikhail concluded.
- Shell damages Donetsk mosque 22 August 2014, 14:20
- Islamists killing of U.S. reporter Foley is barbaric - Moscow 22 August 2014, 11:21
- Historical muftiate revived in Crimea 22 August 2014, 11:09
- Ukrainian shell hits church in central Lugansk 21 August 2014, 16:21
- Clerics bless humanitarian aid sent to Ukraine 21 August 2014, 13:44
- Twice as many churches to be built in Moscow in frames of Program 200 20 August 2014, 13:25
- Church from Moscow Program-200 can be included in world’s five masterpieces of mosaic art 20 August 2014, 13:21
- Patriarch Kirill demands intl protection of Orthodox Christians in Ukraine 20 August 2014, 10:13
- Deputy mufti murder in Vladikavkaz 18 August 2014, 11:42
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church urges gunmen in eastern Ukraine to lay down arms 18 August 2014, 10:06
- Patriarch Kirill: Uniates, schismatics seeking to eradicate Orthodoxy in Ukraine 18 August 2014, 10:05
- Patriarch Kirill sends greetings to Metropolitan Onufry 18 August 2014, 10:03
- Metropolitan Onufry enthroned as primate of Ukrainian Church 18 August 2014, 10:01
- Court suspends Kharkov authorities' resolution giving Russian senator title of Kharkiv freeman for building churches 15 August 2014, 12:50
- N. Korea's missile test-launch not connected with arrival of Pope Francis in Seoul - Pyongyang 15 August 2014, 12:43
- Far-right groups threaten Kiev Region priest with reprisals 15 August 2014, 11:54
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church ready for dialogue with "Kiev Patriarchate", Autocephalous Church 15 August 2014, 11:05
- Production of Kosher food boosts thanks to sanctions 15 August 2014, 10:04
- Leaders of Jamaat Ansarullah Tajik wing killed in Afghanistan 15 August 2014, 10:03
- Rabbi calls for terrorists in Iraq, Syria to be ruthlessly killed, their sponsors tried in The Hague 15 August 2014, 10:01
- Moscow Patriarchate calls for cessation of genocide of Christians in Iraq 14 August 2014, 17:48
- Putin congratulates Metropolitan Onufry on election as Ukrainian Orthodox Church primate 14 August 2014, 15:11
- "Kiev Patriarchate": election of Metropolitan Onufry head of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church demonstrates pro-Moscow moods of majority of bishops 14 August 2014, 12:06
- Poroshenko hopes "achievements of Ukrainian Orthodoxy will multiply" under Metropolitan Onufry 14 August 2014, 10:51
- Election of Metropolitan Onufry strengthens hopes for peace in Ukraine - Moscow Patriarchate 14 August 2014, 10:09
- Ukraine's Moscow-lead Orthodox Church open to dialogue with "Kiev Patriarchate" 14 August 2014, 10:09
- New head of Ukrainian Church urges an end to bloodshed 14 August 2014, 10:06
- Patriarch Kirill affirmed election of Metropolitan Onufry as Ukrainian church leader 13 August 2014, 18:57
- Metropolitan Onufry elected primate of Ukrainian Orthodox Church (updated) 13 August 2014, 18:36
- Expert points out to new Turkish president connections with radical Islamists 13 August 2014, 14:55