16 November 2006, 13:24
Russian Church representative calls Estonian plan to pull down the monument to the Soldier-Liberator a weak attempt to misdirect history
Moscow, November 16, Interfax - The Moscow Patriarchate criticized Estonian MPs’ plan to pull down the monument to the Soviet Soldier-Liberator in Tallinn.
‘The fight against a defenseless monument shows a certain weakness and is a desperate effort to revise and misdirect history. Historical gratitude is rare in the international relations,’ the head of the Moscow Patriarchate department for external church relations communication service Rev. Mikhail Prokopenko told Interfax.
Estonian authorities’ initiative to pull down the Soviet era monuments is ‘rather symbolic’ as it comes out in the year of the 60th anniversary of the Nuremberg Trials that condemned the Nazi war criminals and their ideology.
‘The tribunal seemed to finish any discussion of the war and those responsible for its unleashing and war crimes. It turns out that the answer is ‘no,’ as someone is trying to revise the WWII results. One can see the direction,’ he said.
The pulling down of monuments makes one recall many other tragic events of the 20th century, such as the public book-burning in different cities and the crosses thrown down from church cupolas,’ the priest added.
‘Our historic memory is not short and we should not allow a possibility of even a particle of such acts. I suggest to those in doubt to look at Hitler’s plans for the conquered nations,’ Rev. Mikhail remarked.
However, not all the ancestors of those who resolved to pull down the monument could have found ‘a place in the sun’ in the Third Reich, he said.
‘Their fortune would most probably have been very sad.’ It was only the sacrificial exploit of the Soviet soldiers that prevented the Nazi plans to be accomplished,’ the Moscow Patriarchate representative underscored.
He also mentioned the lack of pubic consensus concerning the monument and the Estonian society’s disunity as protest actions in Tallinn show.
‘That is why I think the hopes of certain Estonian politicians for the pulled down monument to consolidate and empower the Estonians as a nation are groundless,’ Rev. Mikhail concluded.
- Sacred procession near Kiev comes to halt again over suspicious object 26 July 2016, 19:28
- Ukraine's Interior Ministry moves to stop procession of believers walking along Zhytomyr Highway, make them proceed on buses 26 July 2016, 18:55
- Azov militant sentenced to 6 years in custody for arson of a mosque in Crimea 26 July 2016, 18:51
- Patriarch Kirill believes Christian Orthodox world won't be split despite political ill-wishers 26 July 2016, 18:48
- Patriarch Kirill calls Russia's stance on Syria noble and honest 26 July 2016, 18:46
- Participants in sacred procession move to Kiev by foot despite calls of law enforcers to use buses 26 July 2016, 18:36
- Ukrainian National Police, National Guard block sacred procession along Kiev's streets - Interior minister 26 July 2016, 14:09
- Ukrainian Interior Ministry offers to move sacred procession in Kiev via buses for safety considerations 26 July 2016, 14:06
- Former Yukos shareholders no longer claim Russian land site in Paris - defense lawyers for Russia 25 July 2016, 17:18
- Opponents to procession of Ukrainian Orthodox Church block highway to Borispol 25 July 2016, 16:12
- Dushanbe asks Interpol to help catch banned Islamic party leader 22 July 2016, 16:00
- Ukrainian intelligence: Russian special services intend to use Ukrainian Orthodox Church cross procession for provocations 22 July 2016, 15:06
- Non-participation by some Churches in Pan-Orthodox Council was caused by external attempt to cause division in Orthodox world - Lavrov 22 July 2016, 15:01
- Poroshenko regrets about decision on Volyn tragedy and urges to Christian conciliation 22 July 2016, 14:25
- It's unacceptable to use Ukrainian crisis to divide Orthodox Church - Lavrov 22 July 2016, 13:58
- Russian Jews speak strongly against gay pride parade in Jerusalem 22 July 2016, 11:41
- Russia's advantage over West is common moral standings of Orthodox Christians, Muslims 22 July 2016, 10:00
- Tatarstan is responsible for ethnic relations to all Russia - Patriarch Kirill 21 July 2016, 15:44
- Patriarch Kirill lays down foundation of cathedral on site where miracle-working icon was obtained in Kazan 21 July 2016, 15:08
- Cross procession led by Patriarch Kirill was going on in Kazan 21 July 2016, 14:18
- The Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia is against exhumation of Jews killed in Poland during the war 21 July 2016, 13:09
- Priests tried to stop clashes of demonstrators with police in Yerevan 21 July 2016, 12:12
- Patriarch Kirill calls on Tatarstan's Orthodox Christians, Muslims to live in good peace 20 July 2016, 18:29
- Constantinople calls it coincidence that Patriarch Bartholomew left Turkey a few hours before the attempted coup 20 July 2016, 11:38
- Berel Lazar criticizes attempts to consider the Temple Mount exceptionally Islamic shrine 20 July 2016, 11:06
- Church urges participants in Pokemon Go not to lose reason and not to turn to pokemons 19 July 2016, 15:24
- Turkey expects Georgia to shut down schools of preacher Gulen accused of masterminding attempted coup 19 July 2016, 10:04
- Russian cathedral in Nice helps relatives of the terror attack victims 18 July 2016, 15:41
- Russia shuts down ISIL marriage website 18 July 2016, 11:12
- Attempted coup in Turkey seeks to avoid dismissals of military officials linked with Gulen - deputy prime minister 18 July 2016, 10:23