16 November 2006, 13:24
Russian Church representative calls Estonian plan to pull down the monument to the Soldier-Liberator a weak attempt to misdirect history
Moscow, November 16, Interfax - The Moscow Patriarchate criticized Estonian MPs’ plan to pull down the monument to the Soviet Soldier-Liberator in Tallinn.
‘The fight against a defenseless monument shows a certain weakness and is a desperate effort to revise and misdirect history. Historical gratitude is rare in the international relations,’ the head of the Moscow Patriarchate department for external church relations communication service Rev. Mikhail Prokopenko told Interfax.
Estonian authorities’ initiative to pull down the Soviet era monuments is ‘rather symbolic’ as it comes out in the year of the 60th anniversary of the Nuremberg Trials that condemned the Nazi war criminals and their ideology.
‘The tribunal seemed to finish any discussion of the war and those responsible for its unleashing and war crimes. It turns out that the answer is ‘no,’ as someone is trying to revise the WWII results. One can see the direction,’ he said.
The pulling down of monuments makes one recall many other tragic events of the 20th century, such as the public book-burning in different cities and the crosses thrown down from church cupolas,’ the priest added.
‘Our historic memory is not short and we should not allow a possibility of even a particle of such acts. I suggest to those in doubt to look at Hitler’s plans for the conquered nations,’ Rev. Mikhail remarked.
However, not all the ancestors of those who resolved to pull down the monument could have found ‘a place in the sun’ in the Third Reich, he said.
‘Their fortune would most probably have been very sad.’ It was only the sacrificial exploit of the Soviet soldiers that prevented the Nazi plans to be accomplished,’ the Moscow Patriarchate representative underscored.
He also mentioned the lack of pubic consensus concerning the monument and the Estonian society’s disunity as protest actions in Tallinn show.
‘That is why I think the hopes of certain Estonian politicians for the pulled down monument to consolidate and empower the Estonians as a nation are groundless,’ Rev. Mikhail concluded.
- Bishops want more autonomy for Moscow-governed Belarusian Church 18 December 2014, 18:03
- Russian Church builds a cultural center in Hamburg for € 5 mln. 18 December 2014, 17:23
- Gadget users may soon turn in animals, will "snarl, peep and grunt" - Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin 18 December 2014, 17:05
- Orthodox believers insist on building a church in Moscow City instead of the Eye of Sauron 17 December 2014, 14:15
- NAC: Assaults, extortions are main sources financing religious extremists 16 December 2014, 13:24
- Serbian bishop criticizes NATO expansion and says his people will never support anti-Russian sanctions 15 December 2014, 18:12
- Terrorist leader, who killed imam, is among militants killed in Dagestan 15 December 2014, 18:09
- Serbian bishop condemns schismatics in Ukraine 15 December 2014, 17:58
- Islamic activists in Kyrgyzstan believe there should be no male obstetricians 15 December 2014, 10:09
- Russian diplomat discusses condition of Christians in Mideast, situation in Syria at meetings in Lebanon 15 December 2014, 10:08
- IOPS to present White Book on slain Mideast Christians at UN 15 December 2014, 10:03
- Arab Spring, IS aimed at demonizing Islam - Patriarch Kirill 12 December 2014, 17:49
- National policy should focus on worthy support of Russian people - Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin 12 December 2014, 17:21
- World Russian People's Council states Ukraine practices tortures based on the CIA technique 12 December 2014, 13:28
- Over seventy Russian graves vandalized in Australian Orthodox cemetery 12 December 2014, 10:02
- Kremlin official slams violence against members of Moscow-ruled Orthodox Church in Ukraine 11 December 2014, 17:51
- Metropolitan Hilarion condemns anti-Christian "genocide" in M. East 11 December 2014, 17:17
- Pope Francis invited to Kazakhstan 10 December 2014, 17:26
- Syria jihad recruiters spotted in southern Kyrgyzstan 10 December 2014, 17:06
- Metropolitan Hilarion believes Nicholas II made a mistake when he joined World War I 09 December 2014, 17:21
- Chapel to commemorate perished home guards to be set up in Saur Mogila 09 December 2014, 14:35
- Orthodox church desecrated and robbed in west Ukraine 08 December 2014, 18:57
- Patriarch Kirill prays for prevention of war between Russia, West 08 December 2014, 13:07
- DNR authorities accuse Kiev in purposeful shelling of churches 08 December 2014, 11:26
- Kadyrov: Family of Wahabis guilty of murder to be evicted from Chechnya 08 December 2014, 10:58
- Russian Supreme Court finds Jehovah's Witnesses' website to be extremist 05 December 2014, 10:09
- Russia should use the period of trial for making a break-through - Berel Lazar 05 December 2014, 10:05
- Crimea has sacral meaning for Russia - Putin 04 December 2014, 15:21
- Kyrgyz police detect Hizb ut-Tahrir group 04 December 2014, 12:32
- Orthodox Christians in Russia, U.S. can improve countries' relationship - Patriarch Kirill 04 December 2014, 10:02