16 November 2006, 13:24
Russian Church representative calls Estonian plan to pull down the monument to the Soldier-Liberator a weak attempt to misdirect history
Moscow, November 16, Interfax - The Moscow Patriarchate criticized Estonian MPs’ plan to pull down the monument to the Soviet Soldier-Liberator in Tallinn.
‘The fight against a defenseless monument shows a certain weakness and is a desperate effort to revise and misdirect history. Historical gratitude is rare in the international relations,’ the head of the Moscow Patriarchate department for external church relations communication service Rev. Mikhail Prokopenko told Interfax.
Estonian authorities’ initiative to pull down the Soviet era monuments is ‘rather symbolic’ as it comes out in the year of the 60th anniversary of the Nuremberg Trials that condemned the Nazi war criminals and their ideology.
‘The tribunal seemed to finish any discussion of the war and those responsible for its unleashing and war crimes. It turns out that the answer is ‘no,’ as someone is trying to revise the WWII results. One can see the direction,’ he said.
The pulling down of monuments makes one recall many other tragic events of the 20th century, such as the public book-burning in different cities and the crosses thrown down from church cupolas,’ the priest added.
‘Our historic memory is not short and we should not allow a possibility of even a particle of such acts. I suggest to those in doubt to look at Hitler’s plans for the conquered nations,’ Rev. Mikhail remarked.
However, not all the ancestors of those who resolved to pull down the monument could have found ‘a place in the sun’ in the Third Reich, he said.
‘Their fortune would most probably have been very sad.’ It was only the sacrificial exploit of the Soviet soldiers that prevented the Nazi plans to be accomplished,’ the Moscow Patriarchate representative underscored.
He also mentioned the lack of pubic consensus concerning the monument and the Estonian society’s disunity as protest actions in Tallinn show.
‘That is why I think the hopes of certain Estonian politicians for the pulled down monument to consolidate and empower the Estonians as a nation are groundless,’ Rev. Mikhail concluded.
- Russian Muslim leader: Crimea has the right to choose to become part of Russia 07 March 2014, 10:04
- Acting Ukrainian president is a pastor and its prime is a scientologist 05 March 2014, 17:28
- Patriarch Kirill to meet with heads of Orthodox Churches in Istanbul 05 March 2014, 16:04
- Kadyrov orders to provide housing to Orthodox priests 05 March 2014, 10:01
- Crimean authorities promise to fight against Hizb ut-Tahrir 03 March 2014, 16:39
- Ideas calling for revision of moral values are dangerous - Lavrov 03 March 2014, 15:36
- Russia slams Western countries' attempts to "flirts" with Islamist rebels in Syria 03 March 2014, 10:11
- Russian patriarch asks Turchynov to stop ethnic discrimination 03 March 2014, 10:10
- Patriarch Kirill prays for peace in Ukraine 03 March 2014, 10:05
- Tatarstan mufti calls on Ukraine's Muslims to resolve disputes peacefully 28 February 2014, 14:35
- Stepashin meets Pope Francis 27 February 2014, 11:23
- Moscow urges Kiev to stop nation from sliding to religious confrontation 27 February 2014, 10:01
- Patriarch Kirill calls for end of violence in Ukraine 26 February 2014, 17:09
- Orthodox Christian fund wants to buy Kutuzov monument removed in Ukraine 26 February 2014, 16:00
- Old Russian icons are taken from Kiev exhibition ahead of schedule to escape the danger of damage 26 February 2014, 13:04
- Locum tenens of the Kievan See is skeptic about prospects of the dialogue with schismatics in the "time of trouble" 26 February 2014, 12:48
- World Russian People's Council threatens with legal prosecution to those who try to capture churches in Ukraine 26 February 2014, 12:12
- Moscow Patriarchate welcomes Metropolitan Onufry's election as head of Metropolitan Diocese in Kiev 26 February 2014, 10:01
- Metropolitan Onufry elected locum tenens of Kievan Metropolitan See 25 February 2014, 14:34
- Ukraine synagogue attacked 25 February 2014, 11:31
- Patriarch Kirill calls on Ukrainian authorities not to interfere in church affairs 24 February 2014, 17:53
- Patriarch Kirill prays for peace in Ukraine standing on his knees 24 February 2014, 16:57
- Tajik Islamists file lawsuit against special services, state-run television 21 February 2014, 16:03
- Requiem service for those killed in Ukraine held in the Kiev Laura of the Caves 21 February 2014, 10:54
- Renovation of Basilica of the Nativity in Bethlehem will cost 20 million 19 February 2014, 16:54
- A medical station set up on the grounds of the St. Michael's Cathedral in Kiev 19 February 2014, 15:42
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church calls for halt of bloodshed in Kiev 19 February 2014, 14:55
- Gay marriages don't make Russia, Europe closer to each other - Russian MP 19 February 2014, 14:00
- Detained terrorist group led by Osh mosque deputy imam - Kyrgyz police 19 February 2014, 12:33
- Patriarch Kirill's visit to Sochi was a great event for sportsmen, head of his press service says 19 February 2014, 10:01