16 November 2006, 13:24
Russian Church representative calls Estonian plan to pull down the monument to the Soldier-Liberator a weak attempt to misdirect history
Moscow, November 16, Interfax - The Moscow Patriarchate criticized Estonian MPs’ plan to pull down the monument to the Soviet Soldier-Liberator in Tallinn.
‘The fight against a defenseless monument shows a certain weakness and is a desperate effort to revise and misdirect history. Historical gratitude is rare in the international relations,’ the head of the Moscow Patriarchate department for external church relations communication service Rev. Mikhail Prokopenko told Interfax.
Estonian authorities’ initiative to pull down the Soviet era monuments is ‘rather symbolic’ as it comes out in the year of the 60th anniversary of the Nuremberg Trials that condemned the Nazi war criminals and their ideology.
‘The tribunal seemed to finish any discussion of the war and those responsible for its unleashing and war crimes. It turns out that the answer is ‘no,’ as someone is trying to revise the WWII results. One can see the direction,’ he said.
The pulling down of monuments makes one recall many other tragic events of the 20th century, such as the public book-burning in different cities and the crosses thrown down from church cupolas,’ the priest added.
‘Our historic memory is not short and we should not allow a possibility of even a particle of such acts. I suggest to those in doubt to look at Hitler’s plans for the conquered nations,’ Rev. Mikhail remarked.
However, not all the ancestors of those who resolved to pull down the monument could have found ‘a place in the sun’ in the Third Reich, he said.
‘Their fortune would most probably have been very sad.’ It was only the sacrificial exploit of the Soviet soldiers that prevented the Nazi plans to be accomplished,’ the Moscow Patriarchate representative underscored.
He also mentioned the lack of pubic consensus concerning the monument and the Estonian society’s disunity as protest actions in Tallinn show.
‘That is why I think the hopes of certain Estonian politicians for the pulled down monument to consolidate and empower the Estonians as a nation are groundless,’ Rev. Mikhail concluded.
- Investigation into case of student Karaulova accused of trying to join ISIL completed 29 August 2016, 16:14
- Ukrainian priest sets up a world record at international powerlifting championship 29 August 2016, 13:06
- Hollande promises Patriarch Kirill not to give up in the face of terror 29 August 2016, 12:41
- Orthodox believers held a motocross around Moscow with Icon of St. George 29 August 2016, 12:08
- Lawyers appeal Imam Velitov's house arrest 29 August 2016, 10:09
- Mormons mull legal challenge to U.S. volunteers' expulsion from Samara 29 August 2016, 10:00
- Russian Jews will help project synagogues and opening Jewish museums in Europe 26 August 2016, 18:04
- Humanitarian aid to Christians of Homs delivered with Russia's assistance 26 August 2016, 17:00
- Islamist from Russia caught in Bishkek with large quantities of extremist books, ammunition 26 August 2016, 10:47
- Churkin calls Kosovo 'gray zone' in center of Europe used by radical Islamists 26 August 2016, 10:31
- Europe's rabbis at Moscow congress stunned by absence of anti-Semitism in Russia 26 August 2016, 10:14
- Imam Velitov placed under house arrest in justification of terrorism inquiry 26 August 2016, 10:13
- Clergy do not decide to give judgment to preaching by imam Velitov charged with extremism 26 August 2016, 10:12
- Passenger not allowed to flight from Moscow with a liter of holy water 25 August 2016, 18:21
- Lawyer for Islamic party designated as extremist in Tajikistan accused of disclosing state secret 25 August 2016, 18:18
- Azeri authorities call for fight against supporters of preacher Gulen in country 25 August 2016, 16:20
- Samara court orders expulsion of six American Mormons who didn't register with migration authorities 25 August 2016, 15:35
- Gulen-supporting prorector fired from Azeri university 25 August 2016, 12:30
- Cupolas installed on Russian church in Paris 25 August 2016, 12:07
- Immoral actions reduced in Russian Army thanks to cooperation with the Church - Defense Minister 25 August 2016, 11:57
- Russian servicemen built a church of Karelian pine at Khmeimim airbase in Syria 25 August 2016, 10:50
- Barring of Russian Paralympians from Olympics crime against morals - Russian Orthodox Church 24 August 2016, 15:55
- Patriarch Kirill congratulates Poroshenko on Independence Day, hopes for development of church-state interaction 24 August 2016, 12:33
- Syrian Christian leader asks Russia to help with release of captured metropolitans 24 August 2016, 11:00
- Patriarch Kirill addresses Erdogan the words of support in connection with a terrorist act in Turkey 23 August 2016, 17:50
- Number of actions against Christians in Middle East increases fourfold in past 7 years - Russian Foreign Ministry representative 23 August 2016, 15:53
- Terrorists arrested in Georgia deny connections with Ukraine, Wahhabis among them – lawyer 23 August 2016, 14:49
- Orthodox exhibition fair to be held in Switzerland 23 August 2016, 13:14
- Russian Orthodox Church to help resist extremism in jails 23 August 2016, 10:50
- Delegation of Jewish rabbis allowed to enter Belarus from Russia - media 23 August 2016, 10:10