16 November 2006, 13:24
Russian Church representative calls Estonian plan to pull down the monument to the Soldier-Liberator a weak attempt to misdirect history
Moscow, November 16, Interfax - The Moscow Patriarchate criticized Estonian MPs’ plan to pull down the monument to the Soviet Soldier-Liberator in Tallinn.
‘The fight against a defenseless monument shows a certain weakness and is a desperate effort to revise and misdirect history. Historical gratitude is rare in the international relations,’ the head of the Moscow Patriarchate department for external church relations communication service Rev. Mikhail Prokopenko told Interfax.
Estonian authorities’ initiative to pull down the Soviet era monuments is ‘rather symbolic’ as it comes out in the year of the 60th anniversary of the Nuremberg Trials that condemned the Nazi war criminals and their ideology.
‘The tribunal seemed to finish any discussion of the war and those responsible for its unleashing and war crimes. It turns out that the answer is ‘no,’ as someone is trying to revise the WWII results. One can see the direction,’ he said.
The pulling down of monuments makes one recall many other tragic events of the 20th century, such as the public book-burning in different cities and the crosses thrown down from church cupolas,’ the priest added.
‘Our historic memory is not short and we should not allow a possibility of even a particle of such acts. I suggest to those in doubt to look at Hitler’s plans for the conquered nations,’ Rev. Mikhail remarked.
However, not all the ancestors of those who resolved to pull down the monument could have found ‘a place in the sun’ in the Third Reich, he said.
‘Their fortune would most probably have been very sad.’ It was only the sacrificial exploit of the Soviet soldiers that prevented the Nazi plans to be accomplished,’ the Moscow Patriarchate representative underscored.
He also mentioned the lack of pubic consensus concerning the monument and the Estonian society’s disunity as protest actions in Tallinn show.
‘That is why I think the hopes of certain Estonian politicians for the pulled down monument to consolidate and empower the Estonians as a nation are groundless,’ Rev. Mikhail concluded.
- Islamist recruiter stands trial in Uzbekistan 28 November 2014, 12:48
- Cossacks to help Moscow police maintain public order in recreation zones, in areas around churches and monasteries 28 November 2014, 10:02
- Kyrgyz extremists use hijab issue to drive wedge between government, Muslims - intelligence agency 28 November 2014, 10:00
- DPR official speaks about 62 churches destroyed 27 November 2014, 17:49
- Metropolitan Kliment believes high speed is disadvantage of the Internet 27 November 2014, 14:59
- Russian Council of Muftis dismisses allegations of terror recruitment at Moscow Mosque 26 November 2014, 16:47
- IS funded by Afghan heroin profits - FSKN 26 November 2014, 15:44
- Hundreds of children to draw their guardian angel in the Moscow Cathedral of Christ the Savior 26 November 2014, 14:27
- Stavropol to host 3rd Forum of World Russian People's Council 26 November 2014, 10:30
- Anti-Semitic inscription appeared on the building of a Moscow center for Torah studies 25 November 2014, 16:42
- CIS-led intl court could investigate Ukraine religious crimes - Russian rights activist 25 November 2014, 15:09
- Tajik Islamists use Moscow as a crossing point between Tajikistan and Syria 25 November 2014, 13:48
- Patriarchal Commission against full ban on physical methods of upbringing children in family 25 November 2014, 12:56
- Russian priest suggests banning Wahhabism, Nazism and aggressive neo-paganism 24 November 2014, 17:46
- Church in the Donetsk Region shelled 24 November 2014, 17:34
- Humanitarian help to restore churches will be conveyed to the DNR 24 November 2014, 12:16
- Russia to invite OSCE to address condition of Christians in Mideast - Lavrov 24 November 2014, 10:08
- Moscow accuses UN mission in ignoring takeovers of churches and threats against priests in eastern Ukraine 24 November 2014, 10:04
- Zvyagintsev's Leviathan wins Golden Frog at Camerimage festival 24 November 2014, 10:03
- Russia, U.S. must melt ice in relationship, overcome global crises - Patriarch Kirill 21 November 2014, 19:02
- At least 50 churches were damaged in military action in Ukraine - Russian expert 21 November 2014, 18:20
- Uniates following UOC hierarchs distanced from memorandum for the Local Church 21 November 2014, 16:03
- Moscow wants Islamic world disagreements resolved - Russian foreign minister 21 November 2014, 12:14
- Putin, patriarch unveil monument to Alexander I outside Kremlin 21 November 2014, 10:02
- Jerusalem synagogue attack extreme, Russia must prevent such crimes - Putin 20 November 2014, 17:53
- DNR soldiers venerate St. George relics 20 November 2014, 14:30
- Patriarch Kirill speaks on divorce statistics 19 November 2014, 15:19
- Orthodox youth should be modern: no dress-codes and 'ethnographic ghetto' is needed 19 November 2014, 13:56
- Patriarch Kirill urges young people not to substitute real communication with virtual 19 November 2014, 13:37
- Patriarch Kirill recommends to take up the cross, not to 'relax and enjoy' 19 November 2014, 12:54