16 November 2006, 13:24
Russian Church representative calls Estonian plan to pull down the monument to the Soldier-Liberator a weak attempt to misdirect history
Moscow, November 16, Interfax - The Moscow Patriarchate criticized Estonian MPs’ plan to pull down the monument to the Soviet Soldier-Liberator in Tallinn.
‘The fight against a defenseless monument shows a certain weakness and is a desperate effort to revise and misdirect history. Historical gratitude is rare in the international relations,’ the head of the Moscow Patriarchate department for external church relations communication service Rev. Mikhail Prokopenko told Interfax.
Estonian authorities’ initiative to pull down the Soviet era monuments is ‘rather symbolic’ as it comes out in the year of the 60th anniversary of the Nuremberg Trials that condemned the Nazi war criminals and their ideology.
‘The tribunal seemed to finish any discussion of the war and those responsible for its unleashing and war crimes. It turns out that the answer is ‘no,’ as someone is trying to revise the WWII results. One can see the direction,’ he said.
The pulling down of monuments makes one recall many other tragic events of the 20th century, such as the public book-burning in different cities and the crosses thrown down from church cupolas,’ the priest added.
‘Our historic memory is not short and we should not allow a possibility of even a particle of such acts. I suggest to those in doubt to look at Hitler’s plans for the conquered nations,’ Rev. Mikhail remarked.
However, not all the ancestors of those who resolved to pull down the monument could have found ‘a place in the sun’ in the Third Reich, he said.
‘Their fortune would most probably have been very sad.’ It was only the sacrificial exploit of the Soviet soldiers that prevented the Nazi plans to be accomplished,’ the Moscow Patriarchate representative underscored.
He also mentioned the lack of pubic consensus concerning the monument and the Estonian society’s disunity as protest actions in Tallinn show.
‘That is why I think the hopes of certain Estonian politicians for the pulled down monument to consolidate and empower the Estonians as a nation are groundless,’ Rev. Mikhail concluded.
- Moscow court declines defense lawyers' appeal against arrest of Christian State leader Kalinin 18 October 2017, 17:12
- Investigative Committee to investigate consolidated case against Christian State leader 18 October 2017, 15:49
- Patriarch Kirill pays attention of the participants in the Inter-Parliamentary Union Assembly to attempts of infringing canonical church in Ukraine 17 October 2017, 14:14
- Patriarch Kirill urges to base legislation on law of morals 16 October 2017, 17:17
- Metropolitan Hilarion is positive about works of priest-rapper 16 October 2017, 14:41
- Communication between people doesn't depend on political, religious differences - Putin at opening of Youth Festival in Sochi 16 October 2017, 10:29
- Christian State leader Kalinin charged with extremism 13 October 2017, 12:32
- Head of Russian Catholics speaks about confident improvement of relations with the Russian Orthodox Church 12 October 2017, 11:05
- Homes of suspected Hizb ut-Tahrir members searched in Bakhchisarai 11 October 2017, 18:59
- Metropolitan Hilarion accuses the United States of the lack of democracy 11 October 2017, 17:21
- Catholics jointly with Orthodox believers will restore Orthodox churches in Syria 09 October 2017, 11:34
- Godless society will not conquer extremism - Vatican representative in Russia 06 October 2017, 18:48
- Religious leaders' dialogue promotes peaceful Karabakh settlement - head of Muslim Board of Caucasus 04 October 2017, 17:58
- Son of Russia's chief rabbi is involved in uniting Jews in Crimea 04 October 2017, 15:12
- Priest is not allowed to Russian pilot Yaroshenko in American prison 04 October 2017, 10:00
- Ingusheti preacher in averted assassination attempt already survived 03 October 2017, 11:47
- Russian Orthodox Church welcomes softened U.S. stance on freedom of conscience in Russia 03 October 2017, 10:00
- Attempt on life of religious figure averted in Ingushetia 02 October 2017, 13:31
- State Duma deputies who watched Matilda see it as movie, give filmmaker right to realize idea 29 September 2017, 18:05
- Patriarch Kirill equals insulting believers' feelings to extremism 29 September 2017, 15:19
- Patriarch Kirill positively evaluates relations between Uzbekistan's Muslims, Orthodox 29 September 2017, 13:39
- Lukashenko suggests organizing meeting between Patriarch Kirill, pope in Minsk 28 September 2017, 13:59
- Metropolitan Hilarion draws pope's attention to discrimination threat to canonical Ukrainian Orthodox Church 28 September 2017, 10:11
- Syrian authorities are doing everything to protect Christians – Russian MP 28 September 2017, 10:07
- Uzbek leader plans to meet with Patriarch Kirill 28 September 2017, 10:04
- Russian Orthodox Church will be built in Kabul 28 September 2017, 10:01
- Patriarch Kirill to visit Uzbekistan 27 September 2017, 15:43
- Russia was the first to discover destructive essence of Gulen's sect - Mufti Krganov 27 September 2017, 10:29
- European Jews concerned about far-right party's Bundestag election results 25 September 2017, 15:52
- Holy Russia leader under prosecution for pressuring cinemas due to Matilda, detained 25 September 2017, 10:04