16 November 2006, 13:24
Russian Church representative calls Estonian plan to pull down the monument to the Soldier-Liberator a weak attempt to misdirect history
Moscow, November 16, Interfax - The Moscow Patriarchate criticized Estonian MPs’ plan to pull down the monument to the Soviet Soldier-Liberator in Tallinn.
‘The fight against a defenseless monument shows a certain weakness and is a desperate effort to revise and misdirect history. Historical gratitude is rare in the international relations,’ the head of the Moscow Patriarchate department for external church relations communication service Rev. Mikhail Prokopenko told Interfax.
Estonian authorities’ initiative to pull down the Soviet era monuments is ‘rather symbolic’ as it comes out in the year of the 60th anniversary of the Nuremberg Trials that condemned the Nazi war criminals and their ideology.
‘The tribunal seemed to finish any discussion of the war and those responsible for its unleashing and war crimes. It turns out that the answer is ‘no,’ as someone is trying to revise the WWII results. One can see the direction,’ he said.
The pulling down of monuments makes one recall many other tragic events of the 20th century, such as the public book-burning in different cities and the crosses thrown down from church cupolas,’ the priest added.
‘Our historic memory is not short and we should not allow a possibility of even a particle of such acts. I suggest to those in doubt to look at Hitler’s plans for the conquered nations,’ Rev. Mikhail remarked.
However, not all the ancestors of those who resolved to pull down the monument could have found ‘a place in the sun’ in the Third Reich, he said.
‘Their fortune would most probably have been very sad.’ It was only the sacrificial exploit of the Soviet soldiers that prevented the Nazi plans to be accomplished,’ the Moscow Patriarchate representative underscored.
He also mentioned the lack of pubic consensus concerning the monument and the Estonian society’s disunity as protest actions in Tallinn show.
‘That is why I think the hopes of certain Estonian politicians for the pulled down monument to consolidate and empower the Estonians as a nation are groundless,’ Rev. Mikhail concluded.
- Moscow City Hall denies authorization for gay pride parade, rally in support of ECHR decision on law banning gay propaganda 22 June 2017, 18:06
- Aliyev repeals ban on religious activity of citizens trained abroad 22 June 2017, 15:30
- Georgian president calls discussion of restoration of monarchy 'strange PR move' 21 June 2017, 17:50
- Amur Region resident sentenced for hosting meetings of banned religious association 21 June 2017, 17:21
- Dodon to go to Mount Athos on vacation 21 June 2017, 17:14
- Number of those who want to be Orthodox priests has significantly grown in Russia 21 June 2017, 15:13
- Aliyev deems social justice to be best protection from religious radicalism 21 June 2017, 10:51
- Russia doesn't persecute LGBT but bans forcing this orientation on children – Lavrov 21 June 2017, 10:14
- Kremlin to look into ECHR judgment on law banning gay propaganda amongst minors, waits to see details 20 June 2017, 16:10
- Russian Justice Ministry to appeal ECHR judgment on Russian law banning gay propaganda amongst minors 20 June 2017, 13:28
- Radicalization of Kyrgyz nationals rooted in disregard of religion issues by previous administration - Kyrgyz Security Council secretary 20 June 2017, 13:13
- ECHR orders Russia to pay some 50,000 euros to Russian LGBT community activists 20 June 2017, 13:10
- Georgian patriarch proposes constitutional monarchy 19 June 2017, 10:24
- Kiev gay pride parade participants set upon by group of men three hours after event 19 June 2017, 10:13
- Two policemen sustain minor injuries during LGBT pride parade in Kiev 19 June 2017, 10:02
- The Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia urges to remove Lenin's body from the Red Square 19 June 2017, 09:55
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Moscow Patriarchate remains one of the largest religious organizations in Ukraine - Culture Ministry 14 June 2017, 16:38
- Russia faces Ukraine's resistance in returning St. Alexander representation in Jerusalem 14 June 2017, 11:51
- Russian Church Abroad calls to support its Bethany school for Arabian girls 14 June 2017, 11:38
- According to some data, Lenin was depicted carrying a piece of cross, not log 13 June 2017, 17:52
- Islamic countries can resolve all of their disagreements peacefully – Aliyev 13 June 2017, 14:42
- Moscow Patriarchate takes measures to protect from hacker attacks 13 June 2017, 12:26
- New army church consecrated in Kyrgyz airbase 13 June 2017, 12:06
- Siberian Old Believers teach Chinese offices to survive in taiga 13 June 2017, 10:00
- Nazarbayev hopes Islamic world can reach understanding soon 09 June 2017, 11:02
- Three extremists spreading radical Islam ideas convicted in Uzbekistan 09 June 2017, 10:17
- Expert on Orthodox shrines compared contemporary Russia to Medieval Europe 09 June 2017, 10:14
- Some 500,000 pilgrims bow to St. Nicholas remains as 3 km line forms outside the Moscow cathedral 08 June 2017, 19:10
- St. Petersburg Church of Scientology founders arrested 08 June 2017, 18:57
- Russian Orthodox Church's relations with Catholics intensify after meeting with Pope - Patriarch Kirill 08 June 2017, 18:54