16 November 2006, 13:24
Russian Church representative calls Estonian plan to pull down the monument to the Soldier-Liberator a weak attempt to misdirect history
Moscow, November 16, Interfax - The Moscow Patriarchate criticized Estonian MPs’ plan to pull down the monument to the Soviet Soldier-Liberator in Tallinn.
‘The fight against a defenseless monument shows a certain weakness and is a desperate effort to revise and misdirect history. Historical gratitude is rare in the international relations,’ the head of the Moscow Patriarchate department for external church relations communication service Rev. Mikhail Prokopenko told Interfax.
Estonian authorities’ initiative to pull down the Soviet era monuments is ‘rather symbolic’ as it comes out in the year of the 60th anniversary of the Nuremberg Trials that condemned the Nazi war criminals and their ideology.
‘The tribunal seemed to finish any discussion of the war and those responsible for its unleashing and war crimes. It turns out that the answer is ‘no,’ as someone is trying to revise the WWII results. One can see the direction,’ he said.
The pulling down of monuments makes one recall many other tragic events of the 20th century, such as the public book-burning in different cities and the crosses thrown down from church cupolas,’ the priest added.
‘Our historic memory is not short and we should not allow a possibility of even a particle of such acts. I suggest to those in doubt to look at Hitler’s plans for the conquered nations,’ Rev. Mikhail remarked.
However, not all the ancestors of those who resolved to pull down the monument could have found ‘a place in the sun’ in the Third Reich, he said.
‘Their fortune would most probably have been very sad.’ It was only the sacrificial exploit of the Soviet soldiers that prevented the Nazi plans to be accomplished,’ the Moscow Patriarchate representative underscored.
He also mentioned the lack of pubic consensus concerning the monument and the Estonian society’s disunity as protest actions in Tallinn show.
‘That is why I think the hopes of certain Estonian politicians for the pulled down monument to consolidate and empower the Estonians as a nation are groundless,’ Rev. Mikhail concluded.
- Russia's top intelligence officer warns of spread of radical Islam in Middle East and Asia 17 April 2015, 11:31
- Islamic State a challenge to stability of state system in Middle East - Pakistani expert 17 April 2015, 10:26
- Patriarch Kirill expresses concerns about crimes against Christians in Middle East 17 April 2015, 10:00
- Putin hopes conflict caused by Pope's statement on genocide of Armenians can be resolved (updated) 16 April 2015, 17:28
- Not enough is being done to protect Christians in Middle East - Putin 16 April 2015, 17:17
- Some counties that sponsor jihadist groups are re-directing them to Caucasus, Central Asia - Iranian defense minister 16 April 2015, 16:06
- Putin is concerned about presence of Russian citizens among ISIS members 16 April 2015, 15:24
- Golden iPhones with Rublev's Trinity at the backside for sale in Russia 15 April 2015, 18:40
- Patriarch Kirill consecrates a foundation stone of the church to commemorate Special Service officers 15 April 2015, 18:14
- Kazakh teenager, his partner convicted over plans to join ISIL 15 April 2015, 12:34
- Abbas accuses of attempts to Judaize East Jerusalem 14 April 2015, 17:10
- Georgian president grants 78 pardons for Easter 14 April 2015, 13:26
- Young Tajik Muslims banned from hajj 14 April 2015, 12:51
- Russian police bust Hizb ut-Tahrir units in Nizhnevartovsk and Chelyabinsk region - NAC 14 April 2015, 11:28
- Ukrainian militants shelled Donetsk neighborhood where Easter service was held 13 April 2015, 12:16
- Russian patriarch sends Easter greetings to ISS crew 13 April 2015, 10:02
- Great feast of Easter brings joy and hope to millions of Christians - Putin 13 April 2015, 10:01
- Georgian president, pope discuss regional security 10 April 2015, 17:47
- Ukraine releases abducted hieromonk 10 April 2015, 17:42
- ISIS begins embedding itself in terrorist organizations working in Russia - FSB 10 April 2015, 15:49
- FSB: ISIL poses real threat to SCO member countries 10 April 2015, 15:45
- Ukrainian border guards to allow crossing of residents living close to border during Easter holidays 10 April 2015, 13:14
- Fire at mosque in Dagestan's Kizlyar extinguished, no one hurt 10 April 2015, 10:40
- Jewish public and religious activists of Crimea ask to abolish sanctions against Russia 10 April 2015, 10:08
- Central mosque on fire in Dagestan's Kizlyar 10 April 2015, 10:06
- Four Bashkortostan residents convicted for organizing Hizb ut-Tahrir group in Russia 10 April 2015, 10:05
- Patriarch Kirill: Western sanctions illegal but useful experience for Russia 10 April 2015, 10:03
- Putin presents Tsipras with icon stolen by Nazis from Greece 10 April 2015, 10:01
- Onishchenko questions ethics of head transplant surgery 09 April 2015, 17:52
- New synagogue vandalized in Arkhangelsk 09 April 2015, 17:31