16 November 2006, 13:24
Russian Church representative calls Estonian plan to pull down the monument to the Soldier-Liberator a weak attempt to misdirect history
Moscow, November 16, Interfax - The Moscow Patriarchate criticized Estonian MPs’ plan to pull down the monument to the Soviet Soldier-Liberator in Tallinn.
‘The fight against a defenseless monument shows a certain weakness and is a desperate effort to revise and misdirect history. Historical gratitude is rare in the international relations,’ the head of the Moscow Patriarchate department for external church relations communication service Rev. Mikhail Prokopenko told Interfax.
Estonian authorities’ initiative to pull down the Soviet era monuments is ‘rather symbolic’ as it comes out in the year of the 60th anniversary of the Nuremberg Trials that condemned the Nazi war criminals and their ideology.
‘The tribunal seemed to finish any discussion of the war and those responsible for its unleashing and war crimes. It turns out that the answer is ‘no,’ as someone is trying to revise the WWII results. One can see the direction,’ he said.
The pulling down of monuments makes one recall many other tragic events of the 20th century, such as the public book-burning in different cities and the crosses thrown down from church cupolas,’ the priest added.
‘Our historic memory is not short and we should not allow a possibility of even a particle of such acts. I suggest to those in doubt to look at Hitler’s plans for the conquered nations,’ Rev. Mikhail remarked.
However, not all the ancestors of those who resolved to pull down the monument could have found ‘a place in the sun’ in the Third Reich, he said.
‘Their fortune would most probably have been very sad.’ It was only the sacrificial exploit of the Soviet soldiers that prevented the Nazi plans to be accomplished,’ the Moscow Patriarchate representative underscored.
He also mentioned the lack of pubic consensus concerning the monument and the Estonian society’s disunity as protest actions in Tallinn show.
‘That is why I think the hopes of certain Estonian politicians for the pulled down monument to consolidate and empower the Estonians as a nation are groundless,’ Rev. Mikhail concluded.
- Russia, France need to pool efforts to protect world from dangers of globalism, Islamic fundamentalism - Le Pen (updated) 24 March 2017, 10:55
- Sixty-eight percent of citizens oppose monarchy in Russia - poll 24 March 2017, 09:30
- Rabbi Lazar urges to legalize circumcision in Russia 23 March 2017, 13:14
- Ostriches raised in a Kemerovo church, pheasants will be next 23 March 2017, 10:17
- Church official believes Lenin will be buried sooner or later 22 March 2017, 16:01
- Head of antic god or hero found at the construction site of the Crimean bridge 22 March 2017, 13:59
- Moscow mosque imam Velitov to face trial for public justification of terrorism - lawyer 22 March 2017, 12:33
- Third of Russians count national history from Kievan Rus, its Christianization - poll 22 March 2017, 12:12
- Russian masons stunned by deputy Milonov's accusations 21 March 2017, 19:40
- Putin, Russian chief mufti discuss Muslim community's activity 21 March 2017, 18:23
- Bishop of the Russian Church compares Russia airbase in Syria to a monastery 21 March 2017, 10:55
- The Russian Church will introduce its ecological initiatives to the UN 20 March 2017, 16:16
- Church official calls Stalin "executioner" and supports ban on his perpetuation in Ingushetia 20 March 2017, 14:19
- Rector of a Moscow church awakenes conscience in prostitutes who threatenes him 20 March 2017, 10:51
- Russia preserved thanks to "natural conservatism" of its people - Patriarch Kirill 20 March 2017, 10:08
- Waffen SS veterans' march in Riga glorifies murderers, justifies Nazism - Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia 20 March 2017, 10:00
- Couple in Cherkessk decides what to do with embryos in court 17 March 2017, 18:34
- The Moscow Patriarchate believes Lenin's burial is untimely 17 March 2017, 17:04
- Moldovan President counts on Patriarch Kirill's support in reuniting his country 17 March 2017, 12:36
- FJCR head criticizes ultra-Orthodox Jews who do not work and do not serve in the army 17 March 2017, 10:11
- Putin meets with head of Russian Orthodox Old-Rite Church 17 March 2017, 10:00
- Icon of Crimea heavenly protector to be delivered to the International Space Station 16 March 2017, 11:17
- Kazakhstan's AIFC strives to create favorable environment for Islamic financial institutions 15 March 2017, 13:32
- On the 100th anniversary of the emperor's abdication the patriarch prays for victims of the revolution and civil war 15 March 2017, 13:11
- Russia needs Orthodox monarchy – Crimean head 15 March 2017, 13:07
- ROCOR urges to rid Red Square of Lenin's remains and destroy monuments to him 13 March 2017, 11:07
- Kyrgyz cemeteries to be divided into sectors for various religions groups 13 March 2017, 10:13
- Inclusion of western saints' names on Moscow Patriarchate calendar aims to remind of times of undivided Church - Russian Orthodox Church 13 March 2017, 10:09
- Hungary allotted about €134,000 for restoring three Russian churches and building a new one 10 March 2017, 13:18
- Russian Orthodox Church to celebrate St. Patrick's Day - Synod's decision 10 March 2017, 12:08