16 November 2006, 13:24
Russian Church representative calls Estonian plan to pull down the monument to the Soldier-Liberator a weak attempt to misdirect history
Moscow, November 16, Interfax - The Moscow Patriarchate criticized Estonian MPs’ plan to pull down the monument to the Soviet Soldier-Liberator in Tallinn.
‘The fight against a defenseless monument shows a certain weakness and is a desperate effort to revise and misdirect history. Historical gratitude is rare in the international relations,’ the head of the Moscow Patriarchate department for external church relations communication service Rev. Mikhail Prokopenko told Interfax.
Estonian authorities’ initiative to pull down the Soviet era monuments is ‘rather symbolic’ as it comes out in the year of the 60th anniversary of the Nuremberg Trials that condemned the Nazi war criminals and their ideology.
‘The tribunal seemed to finish any discussion of the war and those responsible for its unleashing and war crimes. It turns out that the answer is ‘no,’ as someone is trying to revise the WWII results. One can see the direction,’ he said.
The pulling down of monuments makes one recall many other tragic events of the 20th century, such as the public book-burning in different cities and the crosses thrown down from church cupolas,’ the priest added.
‘Our historic memory is not short and we should not allow a possibility of even a particle of such acts. I suggest to those in doubt to look at Hitler’s plans for the conquered nations,’ Rev. Mikhail remarked.
However, not all the ancestors of those who resolved to pull down the monument could have found ‘a place in the sun’ in the Third Reich, he said.
‘Their fortune would most probably have been very sad.’ It was only the sacrificial exploit of the Soviet soldiers that prevented the Nazi plans to be accomplished,’ the Moscow Patriarchate representative underscored.
He also mentioned the lack of pubic consensus concerning the monument and the Estonian society’s disunity as protest actions in Tallinn show.
‘That is why I think the hopes of certain Estonian politicians for the pulled down monument to consolidate and empower the Estonians as a nation are groundless,’ Rev. Mikhail concluded.
- Three-fourths of Russians do not observe the Great Lent, but plan to celebrate Easter 29 April 2016, 14:14
- Moscow Patriarchate's Ukrainian Orthodox Church complains to EU embassies, campaigners about religious organizations bill 29 April 2016, 10:03
- Christ would join Communists for May 1 demonstration - Zyuganov 29 April 2016, 10:02
- Russians now hope for God's help more - poll 28 April 2016, 17:19
- Patriarch Kirill calls inflow of refugees to Europe "colossal challenge" 28 April 2016, 14:44
- UOC priest's wife killed in Dnepropetrovsk 28 April 2016, 11:10
- Russian Intelligence Directorate: Some govts attempting to use jihadists to overthrow al-Assad 27 April 2016, 18:19
- Georgian president pardons 95 prisoners for Easter 27 April 2016, 15:49
- Religious extremism propaganda in media and Internet to be punished by sentence of up to eight years in Uzbekistan 27 April 2016, 13:26
- Russian bikers deliver icons to churches of the Moscow Patriarchate in Africa 27 April 2016, 12:32
- Putin, Slovenian leader agreed to honor the centenary of the Russian chapel near Vrsic 27 April 2016, 10:02
- Chernobyl cleanup effort demonstrated unity between Russians, Ukrainians - Patriarch Kirill 26 April 2016, 15:52
- Poroshenko promises not to allow legalizing gay 'marriages' in Ukraine 26 April 2016, 12:52
- Museum director faces criminal charges of failing to return 16 icons from U.S. to Russia 26 April 2016, 10:01
- Ukrainian producer beats girls coming from a disco with pussy-willow branches 25 April 2016, 15:26
- Signatures for banning abortions to be collected in Russian churches 25 April 2016, 15:24
- Unknown individuals made an attempt to set fire to Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Moscow Patriarchate 25 April 2016, 15:06
- DPR authorities intend to lift curfew on Easter night 25 April 2016, 10:52
- Poroshenko calls for one united local Orthodox Church in Ukraine 25 April 2016, 10:25
- Cross in a church in West Ukraine starts bleeding, the church rector claims 22 April 2016, 17:41
- The Church welcomes reasonable critics of Pan-Orthodox Council's documents 22 April 2016, 15:15
- Russian and Catholic Church to hold an action to help Syrian children 22 April 2016, 11:25
- Orthodox believers in Krasnodar achieved cancelling the concert of musicians from the USA and Austria 22 April 2016, 11:24
- 3 million Easter cakes to be baked for Easter in Moscow 21 April 2016, 17:21
- WJC president hails Putin's commitment to counter any manifestations of anti-Semitism 21 April 2016, 16:11
- WJC president hopes for resolution of Schneerson library issue through diplomatic channels 21 April 2016, 15:25
- Crimea cancels May 1 demonstrations because of Easter 20 April 2016, 16:12
- Patriarch Kirill expresses condolences over the earthquake in Japan and Ecuador 20 April 2016, 13:31
- Putin thanks Jewish organizations for contribution in Russia's domestic political stability 19 April 2016, 16:59
- Heads of Armenian Churches donated a million dollars to Karabakh 19 April 2016, 11:43