16 November 2006, 13:24
Russian Church representative calls Estonian plan to pull down the monument to the Soldier-Liberator a weak attempt to misdirect history
Moscow, November 16, Interfax - The Moscow Patriarchate criticized Estonian MPs’ plan to pull down the monument to the Soviet Soldier-Liberator in Tallinn.
‘The fight against a defenseless monument shows a certain weakness and is a desperate effort to revise and misdirect history. Historical gratitude is rare in the international relations,’ the head of the Moscow Patriarchate department for external church relations communication service Rev. Mikhail Prokopenko told Interfax.
Estonian authorities’ initiative to pull down the Soviet era monuments is ‘rather symbolic’ as it comes out in the year of the 60th anniversary of the Nuremberg Trials that condemned the Nazi war criminals and their ideology.
‘The tribunal seemed to finish any discussion of the war and those responsible for its unleashing and war crimes. It turns out that the answer is ‘no,’ as someone is trying to revise the WWII results. One can see the direction,’ he said.
The pulling down of monuments makes one recall many other tragic events of the 20th century, such as the public book-burning in different cities and the crosses thrown down from church cupolas,’ the priest added.
‘Our historic memory is not short and we should not allow a possibility of even a particle of such acts. I suggest to those in doubt to look at Hitler’s plans for the conquered nations,’ Rev. Mikhail remarked.
However, not all the ancestors of those who resolved to pull down the monument could have found ‘a place in the sun’ in the Third Reich, he said.
‘Their fortune would most probably have been very sad.’ It was only the sacrificial exploit of the Soviet soldiers that prevented the Nazi plans to be accomplished,’ the Moscow Patriarchate representative underscored.
He also mentioned the lack of pubic consensus concerning the monument and the Estonian society’s disunity as protest actions in Tallinn show.
‘That is why I think the hopes of certain Estonian politicians for the pulled down monument to consolidate and empower the Estonians as a nation are groundless,’ Rev. Mikhail concluded.
- Putin warns that buying oil from IS militants finances terrorism 24 October 2014, 17:39
- USA supports neo-Nazis and Islamic radicals instead of democracy - Putin 24 October 2014, 17:11
- Russian sculptor Tsereteli to open a monument to John Paul II at Notre-Dame de Paris 24 October 2014, 15:43
- Two Wahabis get long prison terms for plotting terror act at Russia's chemical arms disposal plant 24 October 2014, 15:04
- Canalization manholes with St. George the Victory-Bearer can appear in Moscow, Orthodox believres outraged 24 October 2014, 14:40
- Tajik family fined for giving lavish welcome-back to relative after Mecca hajj 24 October 2014, 13:13
- The Ukrainian Orthodox Church official believes peace efforts of Kiev authorities insufficient 23 October 2014, 14:17
- IOPS chairman asks Iraqi president to release Tariq Aziz 23 October 2014, 11:32
- Islamists on rise in C. Asia as CU, SCO expected to expand - expert 23 October 2014, 10:01
- Historian doubts Nicholas II abdicated the throne 22 October 2014, 17:20
- Constitutional Court turns down Pussy Riot member appeal against disorderly conduct qualification 22 October 2014, 16:10
- Israeli authorities are ready to extradite Grozovsky - source 22 October 2014, 15:57
- Chapel founded at the site of September 11 terrorist act in New York 22 October 2014, 10:03
- Uniates leader calls UOC of the Moscow Patriarchate the only canonical Church of Ukraine 22 October 2014, 10:02
- Head of the Patriarchal Commission on Family suggests banning Internet and computer games for people under 21 22 October 2014, 10:01
- Russians see more threats from the USA than from radical Islamists - poll 21 October 2014, 14:52
- Archpriest Chaplin to Khodorkovsky: people basing on God's law instead of oligarchs and West will determine Russia's future 21 October 2014, 14:49
- Church arson reported in Ukraine's Chernigov Region 21 October 2014, 14:00
- Russian Jewish community sets example for Europe - Rabbi Lazar 21 October 2014, 11:42
- Over half of Russians say ISIL is threat - poll 20 October 2014, 15:18
- Obligatory introduction of electronic passports and universal fingerprinting make the way to absolute dictatorship - Russian church official believes 20 October 2014, 11:27
- About 1,000 Evangelical Christians gather in central Kiev to pray for Ukraine 20 October 2014, 10:33
- Metropolitan Hilarion, Pope Francis discuss Greek-Catholics' actions in Ukraine 20 October 2014, 10:04
- Moscow Patriarchate urges Catholics to jointly protect family at a legal level 17 October 2014, 12:03
- Russian Church urges Uniates to stop subversive activities against it in Ukraine 17 October 2014, 11:07
- Renowned Italian expert speaks about growing Christianophobia on Europe 17 October 2014, 10:06
- The Valaam Monastery to produce Italian sorts of cheese 16 October 2014, 17:58
- Kyrgyz parliament passes bill banning "gay propaganda" at 1st reading 16 October 2014, 15:39
- Orthodox human rights advocate suggests appointing OSCE curator on Russophobia 16 October 2014, 10:05
- Parents-Satanists call their baby Lucifer 16 October 2014, 10:02