16 November 2006, 13:24
Russian Church representative calls Estonian plan to pull down the monument to the Soldier-Liberator a weak attempt to misdirect history
Moscow, November 16, Interfax - The Moscow Patriarchate criticized Estonian MPs’ plan to pull down the monument to the Soviet Soldier-Liberator in Tallinn.
‘The fight against a defenseless monument shows a certain weakness and is a desperate effort to revise and misdirect history. Historical gratitude is rare in the international relations,’ the head of the Moscow Patriarchate department for external church relations communication service Rev. Mikhail Prokopenko told Interfax.
Estonian authorities’ initiative to pull down the Soviet era monuments is ‘rather symbolic’ as it comes out in the year of the 60th anniversary of the Nuremberg Trials that condemned the Nazi war criminals and their ideology.
‘The tribunal seemed to finish any discussion of the war and those responsible for its unleashing and war crimes. It turns out that the answer is ‘no,’ as someone is trying to revise the WWII results. One can see the direction,’ he said.
The pulling down of monuments makes one recall many other tragic events of the 20th century, such as the public book-burning in different cities and the crosses thrown down from church cupolas,’ the priest added.
‘Our historic memory is not short and we should not allow a possibility of even a particle of such acts. I suggest to those in doubt to look at Hitler’s plans for the conquered nations,’ Rev. Mikhail remarked.
However, not all the ancestors of those who resolved to pull down the monument could have found ‘a place in the sun’ in the Third Reich, he said.
‘Their fortune would most probably have been very sad.’ It was only the sacrificial exploit of the Soviet soldiers that prevented the Nazi plans to be accomplished,’ the Moscow Patriarchate representative underscored.
He also mentioned the lack of pubic consensus concerning the monument and the Estonian society’s disunity as protest actions in Tallinn show.
‘That is why I think the hopes of certain Estonian politicians for the pulled down monument to consolidate and empower the Estonians as a nation are groundless,’ Rev. Mikhail concluded.
- Russian Orthodox Church, Vatican ready to be mediators between conflict parties in Ukraine 21 October 2016, 18:38
- Metropolitan Onufry complains to USA ambassador of the UOC discrimination 21 October 2016, 11:16
- OIC foreign ministers denounce U.S. Justice Against Sponsors of Terrorism 20 October 2016, 14:03
- Photos from Patriarch Kirill's meeting with Elizabeth II were not published as its format was private - the patriarch's press secretary 20 October 2016, 13:12
- Afghans themselves should take efforts in national reconciliation - OIC declaration 20 October 2016, 10:39
- OIC says Palestinian people have inalienable rights to Temple Mount, calls for swiftest stabilization of situation in Middle East 20 October 2016, 10:34
- Russian shortie about Holocaust included in Oscar long list 19 October 2016, 18:00
- Russian Security Council sees serious threat in Islamic radicals in Siberia 19 October 2016, 14:57
- Patriarch Kirill expresses his concerns to Archbishop of Canterbury about Anglicans' apostacy from Christian morals 19 October 2016, 11:54
- Patriarch Kirill urges all countries to unite in sacred war on terrorism 18 October 2016, 22:25
- Church of England, Roman Catholic Church, Russian Orthodox Church ready to act together to world's benefit - Patriarch Kirill 18 October 2016, 22:20
- Conversation with Queen Elizabeth II made very pleasant impression on Patriarch Kirill "intellectually and emotionally" 18 October 2016, 22:17
- Patriarch Kirill, Archbishop of Canterbury express readiness for joint peacekeeping work 18 October 2016, 21:46
- Patriarch Kirill sensed no hostility towards Russia in London 18 October 2016, 21:45
- Patriarch Kirill calls for pluralism in mass media 18 October 2016, 21:42
- Patriarch Kirill presents Elisabeth II with icon of the Mother of God 18 October 2016, 17:48
- OIC calls for political solution to Syrian crisis, says Damascus responsible for conflict - secretary general 18 October 2016, 10:48
- Parishioners of the Russian cathedral in London present a puppy to Patriarch Kirill 17 October 2016, 18:18
- Patriarch Kirill urges Christians of England to develop together Russia-UK relations 17 October 2016, 12:57
- Christianity is urged to strengthen relations between Russia and Britain - Patriarch Kirill 17 October 2016, 10:20
- Patriarch Kirill becomes an honorable member of the British Royal Geographic Society 17 October 2016, 10:07
- Wishes for long life were proclaimed to Elizabeth II at the patriarchal service in London 16 October 2016, 21:15
- Patriarch Kirill consecrates the Russian cathedral in London 16 October 2016, 20:05
- Uzbekistan to host meeting of OIC Council of Foreign Ministers on October 18-19 14 October 2016, 15:50
- Rabbi Lazar criticizes Russia for supporting UNESCO resolution on Jerusalem 14 October 2016, 12:34
- Saudi funding of Wahhabi ideology must stop in order to fight it - al-Assad 14 October 2016, 12:29
- Patriarch Kirill recommends to learn patriotism from the Chinese 14 October 2016, 12:20
- First Russian monastery to open in South America 14 October 2016, 10:31
- Poroshenko asked to ban Eurovision opening at Kiev's St. Sophia cathedral 14 October 2016, 10:20
- Cancellation of Putin's visit to Paris will not affect time frameworks of opening of Russian Spiritual and Cultural Center 13 October 2016, 18:09