16 November 2006, 13:24
Russian Church representative calls Estonian plan to pull down the monument to the Soldier-Liberator a weak attempt to misdirect history
Moscow, November 16, Interfax - The Moscow Patriarchate criticized Estonian MPs’ plan to pull down the monument to the Soviet Soldier-Liberator in Tallinn.
‘The fight against a defenseless monument shows a certain weakness and is a desperate effort to revise and misdirect history. Historical gratitude is rare in the international relations,’ the head of the Moscow Patriarchate department for external church relations communication service Rev. Mikhail Prokopenko told Interfax.
Estonian authorities’ initiative to pull down the Soviet era monuments is ‘rather symbolic’ as it comes out in the year of the 60th anniversary of the Nuremberg Trials that condemned the Nazi war criminals and their ideology.
‘The tribunal seemed to finish any discussion of the war and those responsible for its unleashing and war crimes. It turns out that the answer is ‘no,’ as someone is trying to revise the WWII results. One can see the direction,’ he said.
The pulling down of monuments makes one recall many other tragic events of the 20th century, such as the public book-burning in different cities and the crosses thrown down from church cupolas,’ the priest added.
‘Our historic memory is not short and we should not allow a possibility of even a particle of such acts. I suggest to those in doubt to look at Hitler’s plans for the conquered nations,’ Rev. Mikhail remarked.
However, not all the ancestors of those who resolved to pull down the monument could have found ‘a place in the sun’ in the Third Reich, he said.
‘Their fortune would most probably have been very sad.’ It was only the sacrificial exploit of the Soviet soldiers that prevented the Nazi plans to be accomplished,’ the Moscow Patriarchate representative underscored.
He also mentioned the lack of pubic consensus concerning the monument and the Estonian society’s disunity as protest actions in Tallinn show.
‘That is why I think the hopes of certain Estonian politicians for the pulled down monument to consolidate and empower the Estonians as a nation are groundless,’ Rev. Mikhail concluded.
- Muslim sheep slaughter to be banned in Moscow during Eid al-Adha feast 01 October 2014, 10:08
- Two prosecuted following police van incident near Moscow mosque 30 September 2014, 16:10
- Seven female Islamists apprehended in Kyrgyzstan 30 September 2014, 12:50
- Parishioners of the Moscow Mosque of the Council of Mufti attacked the police bus 29 September 2014, 15:50
- Russia picks Zvyagintsev's Leviathan for Oscar 29 September 2014, 10:08
- Police raid St. Petersburg Scientology church as part of fraud probe 29 September 2014, 10:06
- Up to 50,000 militants fight for Islamic State - Patrushev 26 September 2014, 12:04
- Two jailed in Azerbaijan for plotting mosque bombing 26 September 2014, 11:49
- Ukrainian Army occupied a church in Donetsk and fires from it 26 September 2014, 10:20
- Putin praises Russian Jews' role in consolidating interfaith harmony 26 September 2014, 10:07
- Ban on gay propaganda among minors doesn't restrict sexual minorities' rights - Russian Constitutional Court 26 September 2014, 10:05
- Israel ready to extradite Russian priest Grozovsky - source (updated) 25 September 2014, 18:11
- Patriarch Kirill hopes to visit Latvia 25 September 2014, 15:40
- The Menorah memorial desecrated with swastika in Babiy Yar 25 September 2014, 14:49
- Patriarch Kirill denies being vehicle of Kremlin policy 25 September 2014, 09:57
- Dissenters take over Orthodox church in Rovno Region of Ukraine 24 September 2014, 14:35
- Over 20,000 Hasidics arrive in Uman to celebrate New Year 24 September 2014, 14:15
- Hasidic pilgrims not afraid of traveling to Ukraine - border guards 24 September 2014, 10:50
- Russian religious leaders send anniversary greetings to Interfax 23 September 2014, 15:04
- Israeli embassy in Russia confirms Grozovsky detention 22 September 2014, 12:45
- State sovereignty is more important than camembert and jamon, leader of Russia's Jewish community believes 22 September 2014, 10:17
- Moscow to host Quran intl recitation contest on September 20 19 September 2014, 15:14
- Cross set up in Belgrade to commemorate defenders of the city during the First World War 19 September 2014, 11:12
- Ukrainian Army shells Donetsk monastery 18 September 2014, 16:53
- Russia and Vatican to hold art exhibition on Biblical themes 18 September 2014, 10:10
- Sts Martha and Mary Convent in Moscow decorated with a Japanese symbol 18 September 2014, 10:01
- Released Lugansk priest claims pilot Savchenko suggested to divide them to organs 17 September 2014, 10:22
- Ukrainian bishop believes the country's authorities Satanic 16 September 2014, 12:15
- Two Hizb ut-Tahrir activists detained in Kyrgyzstan 16 September 2014, 11:42
- War against Islamic State promises benefit to Russia - religious expert 16 September 2014, 11:33