16 November 2006, 13:24
Russian Church representative calls Estonian plan to pull down the monument to the Soldier-Liberator a weak attempt to misdirect history
Moscow, November 16, Interfax - The Moscow Patriarchate criticized Estonian MPs’ plan to pull down the monument to the Soviet Soldier-Liberator in Tallinn.
‘The fight against a defenseless monument shows a certain weakness and is a desperate effort to revise and misdirect history. Historical gratitude is rare in the international relations,’ the head of the Moscow Patriarchate department for external church relations communication service Rev. Mikhail Prokopenko told Interfax.
Estonian authorities’ initiative to pull down the Soviet era monuments is ‘rather symbolic’ as it comes out in the year of the 60th anniversary of the Nuremberg Trials that condemned the Nazi war criminals and their ideology.
‘The tribunal seemed to finish any discussion of the war and those responsible for its unleashing and war crimes. It turns out that the answer is ‘no,’ as someone is trying to revise the WWII results. One can see the direction,’ he said.
The pulling down of monuments makes one recall many other tragic events of the 20th century, such as the public book-burning in different cities and the crosses thrown down from church cupolas,’ the priest added.
‘Our historic memory is not short and we should not allow a possibility of even a particle of such acts. I suggest to those in doubt to look at Hitler’s plans for the conquered nations,’ Rev. Mikhail remarked.
However, not all the ancestors of those who resolved to pull down the monument could have found ‘a place in the sun’ in the Third Reich, he said.
‘Their fortune would most probably have been very sad.’ It was only the sacrificial exploit of the Soviet soldiers that prevented the Nazi plans to be accomplished,’ the Moscow Patriarchate representative underscored.
He also mentioned the lack of pubic consensus concerning the monument and the Estonian society’s disunity as protest actions in Tallinn show.
‘That is why I think the hopes of certain Estonian politicians for the pulled down monument to consolidate and empower the Estonians as a nation are groundless,’ Rev. Mikhail concluded.
- Rights of deacon Mamaladze accused of murder breached - Georgian president 22 February 2017, 16:52
- Over 200 Muslim leaders died for promoting true Islam in the North Caucasus - Pshihachev 22 February 2017, 11:04
- Patriarch Kirill calls Vitaly Churkin outstanding diplomate selflessly devoted to his duty 22 February 2017, 10:43
- Georgian prosecutors, Church could probe arrested deacon jointly - Patriarch of Georgia 21 February 2017, 19:12
- Lavrov on Kiev's decision to block the UN Security Council's statement on the death of Churkin: it's not Christian 21 February 2017, 14:25
- Renowned elder Archimandrite Kirill (Pavlov) passes away 21 February 2017, 13:28
- Priest of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church attacked in the Odessa Region 20 February 2017, 17:07
- Patriarch Kirill urges to redeem sins of revolution building up a just society 20 February 2017, 17:04
- Russian Church accuses opponents of St. Isaac's Cathedral handover of attempting to "rock the boat" 20 February 2017, 10:54
- Orthodox Church warns Russians against militaristic rhetoric 20 February 2017, 10:01
- Russian Muslims to take care of Syrian refugees and their school in Lebanon 17 February 2017, 17:12
- Georgian patriarch says he has known Deacon Mamaladze for a long time, calls his detention 'strange' 17 February 2017, 10:18
- Before the fight in USA Fyodor Yemelyanenko confesses he fights to glorify Christ 16 February 2017, 16:13
- Georgian patriarch to return to Georgia after surgery in Germany on February 20 16 February 2017, 15:02
- Detained on accusation of attempted murder deacon Mamaladze claims he is not guilty - ombudsman 15 February 2017, 13:50
- Israel to discuss anti-Semitism definition with Russia to avoid interpretations of word's meaning in future - Israeli ambassador 15 February 2017, 10:07
- Israeli ambassador in Moscow hopes Russian leadership to prevent acts of antisemitism in Russia 15 February 2017, 10:00
- Ilia II feeling fine after operation in Germany - Georgian Patriarchate 14 February 2017, 15:47
- The Moscow Patriarchate welcomes measures on banning state funding of abortions in the USA 14 February 2017, 11:53
- Cross missing at the Moldavian flag during its president's visit to Iran resulted in a scandal 13 February 2017, 19:13
- Georgian president concerned over reports of plotted assassination of Georgian Orthodox Church's high-ranking clergyman 13 February 2017, 19:11
- Pilots from Admiral Kuznetsov prayed and took blessing before combat missions – priest 13 February 2017, 16:07
- High-ranking clergyman arrested in Tbilisi on attempted murder charge 13 February 2017, 15:55
- Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia urges to settle the question with St. Isaac Cathedral in compliance with the law 13 February 2017, 14:23
- One more UOC church seized in Ukraine 13 February 2017, 11:29
- The Ukrainian Orthodox Church compares persecutions of Orthodox believers in Ukraine to Soviet atheist era 13 February 2017, 10:00
- Sochi rabbi at risk of deportation intends to acquire Russian citizenship 10 February 2017, 18:47
- Syria's grand mufti invites Patriarch Kirill to hold interreligious conference 10 February 2017, 16:59
- Patriarch of Georgia will be operated in Germany on February 13 10 February 2017, 14:49
- Prayer service for peace in Syria held in Damascus 09 February 2017, 10:23