16 November 2006, 16:27
Orthodox public to collect signatures for replacing the star by double eagle on the Kremlin Spassky Tower
Moscow, November 16, Interfax - A number of Russian Orthodox patriotic organizations initiated a collection of signatures to support an idea of returning the Russian state symbols to the Moscow Kremlin Spassky Tower.
‘We want to reclaim historical justice asking to respect the feelings of the Orthodox majority by the return the double eagle to the Spassky Power. The Spassky Gates have been sacred for the Orthodox people and will remain such for ever,’ said the coordinator of the Narodny Sobor movement Oleg Kassin at a news conference in Moscow on Thursday.
He said that the Spassky Power was named after the miraculous icon of the Saviour (Spas in Russian) found near Vyatka in the 17th century. Tsar Alexey Mikhailovich ordered it to be put above the Kremlin gates.
According to Kassin, a five-point Communist star ‘looks at least ridiculously and confuses the believers, as ‘the tradition of processions with the cross through the Spassky gates has been revived.’
‘One should understand that the stars on the Russian President’s residence look archaic. Though a lot has been achieved under the sign of the star, for instance, space flights and the victory over Hitlerism, but the Soviet Union is the thing of the past,’ the head of the League of Conservative Journalists Dmitry Volodikhin said at a news conference.
He offered a compromise - to put a red star on the corner Arsenalnaya tower, which never had double eagles on its top and to establish the USSR history museum there.
- Russian Church urges world to stop terror, protect Christians in Middle East 27 February 2015, 17:41
- Orthodox travelers from Russia to cross Sahara 27 February 2015, 17:16
- Russia outlaws ISIL, Muslim Brotherhood - FSB 27 February 2015, 15:47
- Some one million Jews live in Russia 27 February 2015, 10:02
- Patriarch Kirill considers discussions in social nets the vanity fair 27 February 2015, 10:01
- FJCR's position on outcome of WWII deserves deep respect - Medvedev 26 February 2015, 16:51
- Jews feel more comfortable in Russia than in Europe - Berl Lazar 26 February 2015, 16:00
- Putin congratulates Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia on its 15th anniversary 26 February 2015, 15:58
- Russia condemns Islamic State's abduction of Syrian Christians 26 February 2015, 10:01
- Russia is the only center of non-slaved civilization, Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin believes 25 February 2015, 17:58
- Moscow to host most representative Jewish congress in 15 years 25 February 2015, 16:32
- Ukrainian schismatic leader dies 25 February 2015, 14:51
- Tajik seized in Moscow on suspicion of online ISIL propaganda 25 February 2015, 11:45
- Leviathan producers lack an ability to guess tastes of Oscar organizers - Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin 24 February 2015, 15:29
- Radical religious group members detained in Azerbaijan 24 February 2015, 12:57
- Patriarch Kirill calling for world order based on Christian values 24 February 2015, 10:00
- Russian, Austrian public, religious figures to discuss situation of European Jews 20 February 2015, 17:50
- Ukrainian authorities only have to accuse the Pope of subversive activities 20 February 2015, 17:45
- No information on fate of Christian leaders abducted in Syria in 2013 20 February 2015, 10:02
- ISIS militants demonize Islam in world's eyes - Patriarch Kirill 19 February 2015, 16:47
- Jewish shrine desecrated in Ukraine 19 February 2015, 15:02
- MPs are interested in Scientologists' work in Petersburg 19 February 2015, 12:59
- Buddhist organizations have important role in Russian public life - Putin 19 February 2015, 12:01
- Metropolitan tells Poroshenko that Orthodox churches are being seized illegally 19 February 2015, 10:05
- Attempt to seed panic, hatred behind murders of Copts in Libya - Patriarch Kirill 18 February 2015, 10:48
- Kazakh leader warns against associating terrorism with traditional Islam 17 February 2015, 15:39
- Patriarch Kirill hopes Minsk accords lead to peace in Ukraine 17 February 2015, 12:49
- Attempt made to rob Russian convent in Jerusalem 17 February 2015, 10:02
- Berl Lazar calls for all countries to unite in fight against terrorism 16 February 2015, 17:06
- Copt killings in Libya shows barbaric essence of ISIL - Russian Foreign Ministry 16 February 2015, 13:54