16 November 2006, 16:27
Orthodox public to collect signatures for replacing the star by double eagle on the Kremlin Spassky Tower
Moscow, November 16, Interfax - A number of Russian Orthodox patriotic organizations initiated a collection of signatures to support an idea of returning the Russian state symbols to the Moscow Kremlin Spassky Tower.
‘We want to reclaim historical justice asking to respect the feelings of the Orthodox majority by the return the double eagle to the Spassky Power. The Spassky Gates have been sacred for the Orthodox people and will remain such for ever,’ said the coordinator of the Narodny Sobor movement Oleg Kassin at a news conference in Moscow on Thursday.
He said that the Spassky Power was named after the miraculous icon of the Saviour (Spas in Russian) found near Vyatka in the 17th century. Tsar Alexey Mikhailovich ordered it to be put above the Kremlin gates.
According to Kassin, a five-point Communist star ‘looks at least ridiculously and confuses the believers, as ‘the tradition of processions with the cross through the Spassky gates has been revived.’
‘One should understand that the stars on the Russian President’s residence look archaic. Though a lot has been achieved under the sign of the star, for instance, space flights and the victory over Hitlerism, but the Soviet Union is the thing of the past,’ the head of the League of Conservative Journalists Dmitry Volodikhin said at a news conference.
He offered a compromise - to put a red star on the corner Arsenalnaya tower, which never had double eagles on its top and to establish the USSR history museum there.
- Russian religious leaders send anniversary greetings to Interfax 23 September 2014, 15:04
- Israeli embassy in Russia confirms Grozovsky detention 22 September 2014, 12:45
- State sovereignty is more important than camembert and jamon, leader of Russia's Jewish community believes 22 September 2014, 10:17
- Moscow to host Quran intl recitation contest on September 20 19 September 2014, 15:14
- Cross set up in Belgrade to commemorate defenders of the city during the First World War 19 September 2014, 11:12
- Ukrainian Army shells Donetsk monastery 18 September 2014, 16:53
- Russia and Vatican to hold art exhibition on Biblical themes 18 September 2014, 10:10
- Sts Martha and Mary Convent in Moscow decorated with a Japanese symbol 18 September 2014, 10:01
- Released Lugansk priest claims pilot Savchenko suggested to divide them to organs 17 September 2014, 10:22
- Ukrainian bishop believes the country's authorities Satanic 16 September 2014, 12:15
- Two Hizb ut-Tahrir activists detained in Kyrgyzstan 16 September 2014, 11:42
- War against Islamic State promises benefit to Russia - religious expert 16 September 2014, 11:33
- The Ukrainian church official accuses the country's authorities in eliminating their own people 15 September 2014, 16:28
- Russian Foreign Ministry calls a "mockery of common sense" discharge of the Femen activists for their action in Notre Dame de Paris 15 September 2014, 14:22
- Supporters of so-called Kiev Patriarchate attempt to take over church near Kiev 15 September 2014, 11:53
- Three Tajik Islamists sentenced to imprisonment in Khabarovsk Territory 15 September 2014, 10:50
- Rabbi Kogan urges to respond to Western sanctions with a baby boom 12 September 2014, 11:04
- Rabbi Lazar opens a hockey match between renowned sportsmen and the Jewish community team 12 September 2014, 10:20
- Greek-Catholic priest urges to eliminate militiamen 11 September 2014, 16:40
- Putin lights candles for "defenders of Novorossiya" in Moscow church 11 September 2014, 13:44
- Austrian MP condemns USA in attempts to blow up traditional European values 11 September 2014, 13:28
- ISIS has 100,000 fighters, including Western, Russian citizens - expert 10 September 2014, 12:51
- U.S. report on religious freedom in Uzbekistan biased - Tashkent 09 September 2014, 14:51
- Idea of Russian World not means of enslaving Ukraine - Patriarch Kirill 08 September 2014, 16:13
- Russia, Ukraine, Belarus linked with invincible spiritual bonds - Patriarch Kirill 08 September 2014, 10:00
- ISIL Islamists threaten not just Russia but to all Europe - Margelov 04 September 2014, 10:01
- Over 200 fake passports seized from Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan in Moscow 04 September 2014, 10:01
- Crimea does not need sexual minorities - Aksyonov 02 September 2014, 17:56
- Russian school in Bethlehem to strengthen Russian-Palestinian ties - Putin 02 September 2014, 10:01
- In order to come to Russia Dalai Lama must quit politics - Lavrov 28 August 2014, 10:13