16 November 2006, 16:27
Orthodox public to collect signatures for replacing the star by double eagle on the Kremlin Spassky Tower
Moscow, November 16, Interfax - A number of Russian Orthodox patriotic organizations initiated a collection of signatures to support an idea of returning the Russian state symbols to the Moscow Kremlin Spassky Tower.
‘We want to reclaim historical justice asking to respect the feelings of the Orthodox majority by the return the double eagle to the Spassky Power. The Spassky Gates have been sacred for the Orthodox people and will remain such for ever,’ said the coordinator of the Narodny Sobor movement Oleg Kassin at a news conference in Moscow on Thursday.
He said that the Spassky Power was named after the miraculous icon of the Saviour (Spas in Russian) found near Vyatka in the 17th century. Tsar Alexey Mikhailovich ordered it to be put above the Kremlin gates.
According to Kassin, a five-point Communist star ‘looks at least ridiculously and confuses the believers, as ‘the tradition of processions with the cross through the Spassky gates has been revived.’
‘One should understand that the stars on the Russian President’s residence look archaic. Though a lot has been achieved under the sign of the star, for instance, space flights and the victory over Hitlerism, but the Soviet Union is the thing of the past,’ the head of the League of Conservative Journalists Dmitry Volodikhin said at a news conference.
He offered a compromise - to put a red star on the corner Arsenalnaya tower, which never had double eagles on its top and to establish the USSR history museum there.
- Russian Muslims to take care of Syrian refugees and their school in Lebanon 17 February 2017, 17:12
- Georgian patriarch says he has known Deacon Mamaladze for a long time, calls his detention 'strange' 17 February 2017, 10:18
- Before the fight in USA Fyodor Yemelyanenko confesses he fights to glorify Christ 16 February 2017, 16:13
- Georgian patriarch to return to Georgia after surgery in Germany on February 20 16 February 2017, 15:02
- Detained on accusation of attempted murder deacon Mamaladze claims he is not guilty - ombudsman 15 February 2017, 13:50
- Israel to discuss anti-Semitism definition with Russia to avoid interpretations of word's meaning in future - Israeli ambassador 15 February 2017, 10:07
- Israeli ambassador in Moscow hopes Russian leadership to prevent acts of antisemitism in Russia 15 February 2017, 10:00
- Ilia II feeling fine after operation in Germany - Georgian Patriarchate 14 February 2017, 15:47
- The Moscow Patriarchate welcomes measures on banning state funding of abortions in the USA 14 February 2017, 11:53
- Cross missing at the Moldavian flag during its president's visit to Iran resulted in a scandal 13 February 2017, 19:13
- Georgian president concerned over reports of plotted assassination of Georgian Orthodox Church's high-ranking clergyman 13 February 2017, 19:11
- Pilots from Admiral Kuznetsov prayed and took blessing before combat missions – priest 13 February 2017, 16:07
- High-ranking clergyman arrested in Tbilisi on attempted murder charge 13 February 2017, 15:55
- Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia urges to settle the question with St. Isaac Cathedral in compliance with the law 13 February 2017, 14:23
- One more UOC church seized in Ukraine 13 February 2017, 11:29
- The Ukrainian Orthodox Church compares persecutions of Orthodox believers in Ukraine to Soviet atheist era 13 February 2017, 10:00
- Sochi rabbi at risk of deportation intends to acquire Russian citizenship 10 February 2017, 18:47
- Syria's grand mufti invites Patriarch Kirill to hold interreligious conference 10 February 2017, 16:59
- Patriarch of Georgia will be operated in Germany on February 13 10 February 2017, 14:49
- Prayer service for peace in Syria held in Damascus 09 February 2017, 10:23
- Russian aid helps tens of thousands of Christians stay in Aleppo - Patriarch John X 09 February 2017, 10:00
- FJCR president surprised with accusations against Sochi rabbi, hopes for positive outcome 07 February 2017, 20:10
- Christians of Syria pray for Putin's health and invite Patriarch Kirill 07 February 2017, 15:16
- Fashion expert calls Islamic influence the most powerful trend in today's fashion 06 February 2017, 14:47
- Searches carried out at Church of Scientology offices in Yekaterinburg 03 February 2017, 18:39
- Russian Church representative becomes advisor to State Duma speaker 03 February 2017, 18:36
- Russian permanent envoy to OSCE says Kosovo authorities enables attacks on churches 03 February 2017, 17:57
- Parish of the Russian Church in Venice can be deprived of the church 03 February 2017, 12:15
- 33 churches were restored in Moscow for the years of Patriarch Kirill's primatial service 03 February 2017, 11:12
- Patriarch Kirill prays for the repose of the victims crashed in the Sochi tragedy on the 40th day after it 03 February 2017, 10:04