16 November 2006, 16:27
Orthodox public to collect signatures for replacing the star by double eagle on the Kremlin Spassky Tower
Moscow, November 16, Interfax - A number of Russian Orthodox patriotic organizations initiated a collection of signatures to support an idea of returning the Russian state symbols to the Moscow Kremlin Spassky Tower.
‘We want to reclaim historical justice asking to respect the feelings of the Orthodox majority by the return the double eagle to the Spassky Power. The Spassky Gates have been sacred for the Orthodox people and will remain such for ever,’ said the coordinator of the Narodny Sobor movement Oleg Kassin at a news conference in Moscow on Thursday.
He said that the Spassky Power was named after the miraculous icon of the Saviour (Spas in Russian) found near Vyatka in the 17th century. Tsar Alexey Mikhailovich ordered it to be put above the Kremlin gates.
According to Kassin, a five-point Communist star ‘looks at least ridiculously and confuses the believers, as ‘the tradition of processions with the cross through the Spassky gates has been revived.’
‘One should understand that the stars on the Russian President’s residence look archaic. Though a lot has been achieved under the sign of the star, for instance, space flights and the victory over Hitlerism, but the Soviet Union is the thing of the past,’ the head of the League of Conservative Journalists Dmitry Volodikhin said at a news conference.
He offered a compromise - to put a red star on the corner Arsenalnaya tower, which never had double eagles on its top and to establish the USSR history museum there.
- Russian Church: Western calls for religious neutrality of state play into the hands of chaos scenario 24 April 2015, 17:51
- Yerevan memorial complex hosting service for Armenian genocide victims 24 April 2015, 10:25
- Armenian Church canonizes victims of Ottoman genocide 24 April 2015, 10:00
- Church official urges vets to focus on animal's health, not profit 23 April 2015, 12:14
- Church of Moscow Patriarchate set on fire in Babi Yar again 23 April 2015, 10:00
- Lavrov: Islamic State is Russia's main enemy now 22 April 2015, 12:51
- FSB officer claims existence of "prison Jamaats" in Russia 22 April 2015, 12:06
- Innocent people suffer from sanctions between Russia and West - Pope of Rome 22 April 2015, 10:02
- Three jailed for life over murder of prominent religious leader in Dagestan 21 April 2015, 12:07
- Russian patriarch blames IS for Islamic demonization 21 April 2015, 10:03
- Patriarch Kirill calls on Christian leaders to unite over killing, intimidation of Christians in Mideast 21 April 2015, 10:02
- Good Russia-Germany relations important for whole world - Patriarch Kirill 21 April 2015, 10:00
- Lavrov hopes that the Orthodox Christians in Ukraine "will not allow anyone to manipulate them as a pawn in someone else's game" 20 April 2015, 18:18
- Church hopes for creation of Orthodox banking in Russia 20 April 2015, 17:48
- Armenian Church to canonize all victims of Armenian genocide 20 April 2015, 17:45
- Two Mormon missionaries detained near St. Petersburg 20 April 2015, 10:00
- Russia's top intelligence officer warns of spread of radical Islam in Middle East and Asia 17 April 2015, 11:31
- Islamic State a challenge to stability of state system in Middle East - Pakistani expert 17 April 2015, 10:26
- Patriarch Kirill expresses concerns about crimes against Christians in Middle East 17 April 2015, 10:00
- Putin hopes conflict caused by Pope's statement on genocide of Armenians can be resolved (updated) 16 April 2015, 17:28
- Not enough is being done to protect Christians in Middle East - Putin 16 April 2015, 17:17
- Some counties that sponsor jihadist groups are re-directing them to Caucasus, Central Asia - Iranian defense minister 16 April 2015, 16:06
- Putin is concerned about presence of Russian citizens among ISIS members 16 April 2015, 15:24
- Golden iPhones with Rublev's Trinity at the backside for sale in Russia 15 April 2015, 18:40
- Patriarch Kirill consecrates a foundation stone of the church to commemorate Special Service officers 15 April 2015, 18:14
- Kazakh teenager, his partner convicted over plans to join ISIL 15 April 2015, 12:34
- Abbas accuses of attempts to Judaize East Jerusalem 14 April 2015, 17:10
- Georgian president grants 78 pardons for Easter 14 April 2015, 13:26
- Young Tajik Muslims banned from hajj 14 April 2015, 12:51
- Russian police bust Hizb ut-Tahrir units in Nizhnevartovsk and Chelyabinsk region - NAC 14 April 2015, 11:28