22 November 2006, 14:54
Moscow Patriarchate is against Constantinople’s attempts to intervene in other Orthodox Churches’ affairs
Moscow, November 22, Interfax - The Russian Orthodox Church denies that the Patriarchate of Constantinople can intervene in internal affairs of other Churches and urges to prevent division in the Orthodox world.
‘We deny the Patriarchate of Constantinople’s capacity to intervene in the jurisdiction of other Churches. This idea separates us from Rome at present,’ said the Chairman of the Moscow Patriarchate department for external church relations Metropolitan Kirill of Smolensk and Kaliningrad at the opening of the annual Radonezh festival of Orthodox films and TV programmes that took place in St. Nicholas’ church at the Tretyakov Gallery on Wednesday.
The Metropolitan remarked that the Orthodox Church is keeping its unity. The Patriarchate of Constantinople and the Russian Orthodox Church are in the eucharistic (liturgical) unity.
‘This unity must be preserved. One should not react to any provocations because of which this unity may be frustrated,’ he underscored.
According to Metropolitan Kirill, ‘the world would have looked differently,’ had Rome and Constantinople not divided in the 11th century.
‘We should prevent a division in the Orthodox world,’ the hierarch of the Russian Church underscored.
He remarked that an untraditional perception of the role and importance of the Patriarchate of Constantinople, ‘in no way connected with the canonical tradition of the Orthodox Church,’ began to develop in Constantinople in the early 20th century resulting in the split of Orthodoxy in the Baltic countries, Finland, Poland and within Russian emigration.
‘We do not think that the Patriarch of Constantinople is invested with powers as far as other local Orthodox Churches are concerned. We think there is no such a centre to which [the Orthodox Churches] can appeal. Only the Pan-Orthodox Council could play the part of this centre,’ Metropolitan Kirill said.
The Patriarchate of Constantinople has recently taken in its jurisdiction in violation of canonical rights the former administrator of the Sourozh diocese of the Russian Church Bishop Basil (Osborne) and supported schismatic groups in Ukraine.
- Jehovah Witnesses file appeal against court judgment outlawing organization in Russia 29 May 2017, 18:33
- Arab League not to take special measures to protect Christians in its member countries 29 May 2017, 15:25
- Lavrov offers condolences to Egypt on terrorist attack on Coptic Christians 29 May 2017, 13:28
- Kyrgyz president promises to help build new Orthodox churches in republic 29 May 2017, 12:20
- Patriarch Kirill thanks Kyrgyz mufti for kind attitude towards Orthodox believers 29 May 2017, 10:19
- Almost three-fourths of Russians would like to bow to relics of Nicholas the Wonderworker brought to Moscow - poll 29 May 2017, 10:18
- Russian Orthodox Church mourns victims of terror attack against Copts in Egypt 26 May 2017, 19:54
- Attack on bus carrying Christians in Egypt may negatively impact resumption of flights between Russia, Egypt - source 26 May 2017, 18:26
- Putin to visit Russian cultural spiritual center after talks with Macron - Kremlin 26 May 2017, 17:24
- Unknown individuals wreak havoc on church of Moscow Patriarchate in western Ukraine 26 May 2017, 16:11
- Putin presents icon to Sretensky Monastery church 25 May 2017, 18:07
- Unity of Russian nation should be preserved – Putin 25 May 2017, 15:09
- Patriarch of Georgia cancels festivities to mark 40th anniversary of his enthronement 25 May 2017, 14:46
- Putin kisses relics of St. Nicholas Miracle-Maker 24 May 2017, 22:55
- Putin expresses gratitude to pope for permission to bring St. Nicholas' relics to Russia 24 May 2017, 22:51
- Putin meets with Coptic patriarch Tawadros II 24 May 2017, 22:50
- Putin, Medvedev visit Patriarch Kirill to offer name day congratulations 24 May 2017, 22:48
- Russian Cossacks will help Syrians preserve their Christian heritage 24 May 2017, 18:18
- Patriarch Kirill to visit Kyrgyzstan 24 May 2017, 17:08
- Patriarch Kirill will consecrate a cathedral built to the 100th anniversary of the revolution 24 May 2017, 15:12
- The Federation of Jewish Community of Russia criticizes Ukrainian political circles for heroizing Nazi symbols 24 May 2017, 12:19
- Patriarch Kirill sends early icon of Saint Nicholas to Pope Francis 23 May 2017, 15:19
- Investigators verifying media reports on possible harassment of LGBT community in Chechnya – ombudsman 23 May 2017, 13:15
- Religious believers disrupt gay march in Chisinau 22 May 2017, 11:53
- Patriarch Kirill believes Christians of different confessions will unite in one Church again 22 May 2017, 11:08
- Patriarch Kirill calls St. Nicholas the Wonderworker saint number one for Russia 22 May 2017, 11:03
- Thousands believers met St. Nicholas relics in the Cathedral pf Christ the Savior 22 May 2017, 10:44
- St. Nicholas' relics delivered to Moscow 21 May 2017, 17:08
- Head of Belarusian Orthodox Church addresses Poroshenko regarding 'anti-Orthodox' laws 19 May 2017, 19:00
- Georgian priest accused of attempted murder refuses to attend his trial behind closed doors 19 May 2017, 17:18