22 November 2006, 14:54
Moscow Patriarchate is against Constantinople’s attempts to intervene in other Orthodox Churches’ affairs
Moscow, November 22, Interfax - The Russian Orthodox Church denies that the Patriarchate of Constantinople can intervene in internal affairs of other Churches and urges to prevent division in the Orthodox world.
‘We deny the Patriarchate of Constantinople’s capacity to intervene in the jurisdiction of other Churches. This idea separates us from Rome at present,’ said the Chairman of the Moscow Patriarchate department for external church relations Metropolitan Kirill of Smolensk and Kaliningrad at the opening of the annual Radonezh festival of Orthodox films and TV programmes that took place in St. Nicholas’ church at the Tretyakov Gallery on Wednesday.
The Metropolitan remarked that the Orthodox Church is keeping its unity. The Patriarchate of Constantinople and the Russian Orthodox Church are in the eucharistic (liturgical) unity.
‘This unity must be preserved. One should not react to any provocations because of which this unity may be frustrated,’ he underscored.
According to Metropolitan Kirill, ‘the world would have looked differently,’ had Rome and Constantinople not divided in the 11th century.
‘We should prevent a division in the Orthodox world,’ the hierarch of the Russian Church underscored.
He remarked that an untraditional perception of the role and importance of the Patriarchate of Constantinople, ‘in no way connected with the canonical tradition of the Orthodox Church,’ began to develop in Constantinople in the early 20th century resulting in the split of Orthodoxy in the Baltic countries, Finland, Poland and within Russian emigration.
‘We do not think that the Patriarch of Constantinople is invested with powers as far as other local Orthodox Churches are concerned. We think there is no such a centre to which [the Orthodox Churches] can appeal. Only the Pan-Orthodox Council could play the part of this centre,’ Metropolitan Kirill said.
The Patriarchate of Constantinople has recently taken in its jurisdiction in violation of canonical rights the former administrator of the Sourozh diocese of the Russian Church Bishop Basil (Osborne) and supported schismatic groups in Ukraine.
- Religious radicalism in CIS countries threatens Central Asian security - Patrushev (updated) 22 November 2017, 15:52
- Russian Orthodox Church Bishops' Council to discuss authenticity of imperial family remains (updated) 22 November 2017, 14:23
- Russia - Islamic World group to meet in Saudi Arabia in 2018 22 November 2017, 13:39
- West's atheization worse than what happened in USSR - Patriarch Kirill 22 November 2017, 10:18
- Patriarch Kirill tells Anglican leader about Ukraine's religious freedom violations 21 November 2017, 18:14
- Medvedev notes Patriarch Kirill's efforts in consolidating multi-million-person Russian world 21 November 2017, 10:03
- Patriarch Kirill calls on film, stage industry not to rock boat of human passions 21 November 2017, 10:00
- Nikita Belykh allowed church wedding in detention 20 November 2017, 17:38
- Million signatures for protecting children from the moment of conception will be conveyed to the Kremlin administration 20 November 2017, 16:30
- Patriarch of Georgia will baptize 670 children on St. George Day 20 November 2017, 16:28
- Jewish leader thanks Patriarch Kirill on his birthday for "colossal" contribution to developing inter-religious relations 20 November 2017, 16:26
- Putin gives Patriarch Kirill painting featuring Kremlin's main Orthodox church 20 November 2017, 12:21
- Metropolitan Hilarion calls for laws protecting child since conception 20 November 2017, 10:46
- Belgorod imam sentenced to 8.5 years for abetting terrorism 17 November 2017, 13:08
- Georgian Ministry of Interior concerned with “sweet bombarding” of countryside schools with priests participating 17 November 2017, 10:47
- Searches conducted at home of imam of one of Nazran's main mosques 17 November 2017, 10:07
- Moscow mufti urges adoption of Islam development strategy to 2030 16 November 2017, 21:55
- Ukrainian parliament makes Catholic Christmas a public holiday 16 November 2017, 21:53
- Patriarch Kirill tells U.S. ambassador of importance of developing "heart-level" contacts among pious Russians, Americans 16 November 2017, 18:46
- Talk of restoring monarchy in Russia premature - Maria Romanova 16 November 2017, 17:03
- Patriarch Kirill asks Putin to back Donbass prisoner exchange proposal 15 November 2017, 16:33
- Justice Ministry regrets ECHR rejection of Russian request to review decision on law banning gay propaganda among children 15 November 2017, 10:00
- Head of the Anglican Church arrives in Moscow next week 13 November 2017, 16:32
- Jewish Museum and Center of Tolerance celebrate their fifth anniversary 13 November 2017, 16:28
- Soviet Union managed to build "a kingdom of justice," church official believes 13 November 2017, 10:24
- Particle of St. Seraphim of Sarov relics will be brought to Greece 13 November 2017, 10:20
- Russia should impose 5-10-year moratorium on Lenin burial topic - Church representative 13 November 2017, 10:01
- Head of Madrid-based House of Romanov to meet with Patriarch Kirill in Moscow on Nov 18 09 November 2017, 10:29
- Russia without revolution could have achieved more, Metropolitan Hilarion believes 07 November 2017, 18:10
- Business ombudsman calls for Lenin to be removed from Mausoleum, for final end to be put to Soviet past 07 November 2017, 10:11