22 November 2006, 14:54
Moscow Patriarchate is against Constantinople’s attempts to intervene in other Orthodox Churches’ affairs
Moscow, November 22, Interfax - The Russian Orthodox Church denies that the Patriarchate of Constantinople can intervene in internal affairs of other Churches and urges to prevent division in the Orthodox world.
‘We deny the Patriarchate of Constantinople’s capacity to intervene in the jurisdiction of other Churches. This idea separates us from Rome at present,’ said the Chairman of the Moscow Patriarchate department for external church relations Metropolitan Kirill of Smolensk and Kaliningrad at the opening of the annual Radonezh festival of Orthodox films and TV programmes that took place in St. Nicholas’ church at the Tretyakov Gallery on Wednesday.
The Metropolitan remarked that the Orthodox Church is keeping its unity. The Patriarchate of Constantinople and the Russian Orthodox Church are in the eucharistic (liturgical) unity.
‘This unity must be preserved. One should not react to any provocations because of which this unity may be frustrated,’ he underscored.
According to Metropolitan Kirill, ‘the world would have looked differently,’ had Rome and Constantinople not divided in the 11th century.
‘We should prevent a division in the Orthodox world,’ the hierarch of the Russian Church underscored.
He remarked that an untraditional perception of the role and importance of the Patriarchate of Constantinople, ‘in no way connected with the canonical tradition of the Orthodox Church,’ began to develop in Constantinople in the early 20th century resulting in the split of Orthodoxy in the Baltic countries, Finland, Poland and within Russian emigration.
‘We do not think that the Patriarch of Constantinople is invested with powers as far as other local Orthodox Churches are concerned. We think there is no such a centre to which [the Orthodox Churches] can appeal. Only the Pan-Orthodox Council could play the part of this centre,’ Metropolitan Kirill said.
The Patriarchate of Constantinople has recently taken in its jurisdiction in violation of canonical rights the former administrator of the Sourozh diocese of the Russian Church Bishop Basil (Osborne) and supported schismatic groups in Ukraine.
- Russia's top intelligence officer warns of spread of radical Islam in Middle East and Asia 17 April 2015, 11:31
- Islamic State a challenge to stability of state system in Middle East - Pakistani expert 17 April 2015, 10:26
- Patriarch Kirill expresses concerns about crimes against Christians in Middle East 17 April 2015, 10:00
- Putin hopes conflict caused by Pope's statement on genocide of Armenians can be resolved (updated) 16 April 2015, 17:28
- Not enough is being done to protect Christians in Middle East - Putin 16 April 2015, 17:17
- Some counties that sponsor jihadist groups are re-directing them to Caucasus, Central Asia - Iranian defense minister 16 April 2015, 16:06
- Putin is concerned about presence of Russian citizens among ISIS members 16 April 2015, 15:24
- Golden iPhones with Rublev's Trinity at the backside for sale in Russia 15 April 2015, 18:40
- Patriarch Kirill consecrates a foundation stone of the church to commemorate Special Service officers 15 April 2015, 18:14
- Kazakh teenager, his partner convicted over plans to join ISIL 15 April 2015, 12:34
- Abbas accuses of attempts to Judaize East Jerusalem 14 April 2015, 17:10
- Georgian president grants 78 pardons for Easter 14 April 2015, 13:26
- Young Tajik Muslims banned from hajj 14 April 2015, 12:51
- Russian police bust Hizb ut-Tahrir units in Nizhnevartovsk and Chelyabinsk region - NAC 14 April 2015, 11:28
- Ukrainian militants shelled Donetsk neighborhood where Easter service was held 13 April 2015, 12:16
- Russian patriarch sends Easter greetings to ISS crew 13 April 2015, 10:02
- Great feast of Easter brings joy and hope to millions of Christians - Putin 13 April 2015, 10:01
- Georgian president, pope discuss regional security 10 April 2015, 17:47
- Ukraine releases abducted hieromonk 10 April 2015, 17:42
- ISIS begins embedding itself in terrorist organizations working in Russia - FSB 10 April 2015, 15:49
- FSB: ISIL poses real threat to SCO member countries 10 April 2015, 15:45
- Ukrainian border guards to allow crossing of residents living close to border during Easter holidays 10 April 2015, 13:14
- Fire at mosque in Dagestan's Kizlyar extinguished, no one hurt 10 April 2015, 10:40
- Jewish public and religious activists of Crimea ask to abolish sanctions against Russia 10 April 2015, 10:08
- Central mosque on fire in Dagestan's Kizlyar 10 April 2015, 10:06
- Four Bashkortostan residents convicted for organizing Hizb ut-Tahrir group in Russia 10 April 2015, 10:05
- Patriarch Kirill: Western sanctions illegal but useful experience for Russia 10 April 2015, 10:03
- Putin presents Tsipras with icon stolen by Nazis from Greece 10 April 2015, 10:01
- Onishchenko questions ethics of head transplant surgery 09 April 2015, 17:52
- New synagogue vandalized in Arkhangelsk 09 April 2015, 17:31