22 November 2006, 14:54
Moscow Patriarchate is against Constantinople’s attempts to intervene in other Orthodox Churches’ affairs
Moscow, November 22, Interfax - The Russian Orthodox Church denies that the Patriarchate of Constantinople can intervene in internal affairs of other Churches and urges to prevent division in the Orthodox world.
‘We deny the Patriarchate of Constantinople’s capacity to intervene in the jurisdiction of other Churches. This idea separates us from Rome at present,’ said the Chairman of the Moscow Patriarchate department for external church relations Metropolitan Kirill of Smolensk and Kaliningrad at the opening of the annual Radonezh festival of Orthodox films and TV programmes that took place in St. Nicholas’ church at the Tretyakov Gallery on Wednesday.
The Metropolitan remarked that the Orthodox Church is keeping its unity. The Patriarchate of Constantinople and the Russian Orthodox Church are in the eucharistic (liturgical) unity.
‘This unity must be preserved. One should not react to any provocations because of which this unity may be frustrated,’ he underscored.
According to Metropolitan Kirill, ‘the world would have looked differently,’ had Rome and Constantinople not divided in the 11th century.
‘We should prevent a division in the Orthodox world,’ the hierarch of the Russian Church underscored.
He remarked that an untraditional perception of the role and importance of the Patriarchate of Constantinople, ‘in no way connected with the canonical tradition of the Orthodox Church,’ began to develop in Constantinople in the early 20th century resulting in the split of Orthodoxy in the Baltic countries, Finland, Poland and within Russian emigration.
‘We do not think that the Patriarch of Constantinople is invested with powers as far as other local Orthodox Churches are concerned. We think there is no such a centre to which [the Orthodox Churches] can appeal. Only the Pan-Orthodox Council could play the part of this centre,’ Metropolitan Kirill said.
The Patriarchate of Constantinople has recently taken in its jurisdiction in violation of canonical rights the former administrator of the Sourozh diocese of the Russian Church Bishop Basil (Osborne) and supported schismatic groups in Ukraine.
- Islamic State earns up to $1Bln from Afghan heroin trafficking - Russian official 06 March 2015, 12:02
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin is displeased with West desire to lecture Russia and throw it to the East 05 March 2015, 14:03
- Key Orthodox church of Luhansk Region damaged by shelling 05 March 2015, 11:15
- Chechen drug addicts repent in mosque in front of Kadyrov, promise to quit 05 March 2015, 10:03
- Georgian patriarch didn't send Saakashvili request to return - patriarchate 05 March 2015, 10:02
- Russian Security Council secretary: ISIS is fine-tuning ties with militants in N. Caucasus 05 March 2015, 10:01
- Group of Islamists planning terrorist attacks held in Azerbaijan 05 March 2015, 10:00
- People observing fast do not care for sanctions - Mufti Tajuddin 04 March 2015, 14:25
- Pope's state secretary meets Belarusian president, Church leader 04 March 2015, 10:02
- Russian Supreme Court rejects appeal against Pussy Riot verdict 04 March 2015, 10:01
- Group of female Hizb ut-Tahrir followers caught in Bishkek 03 March 2015, 14:08
- Christians under pressure in West - Lavrov 03 March 2015, 10:02
- UN, EU organizations must act jointly to protect Christians - Lavrov 03 March 2015, 10:01
- Christians persecuted in Ukraine by national-radical forces - Lavrov 03 March 2015, 10:00
- Two women convicted for religious, extremist Internet propaganda in Uzbekistan 02 March 2015, 17:43
- Russian Church calls for protection for its churches in Ukraine 02 March 2015, 17:39
- Ukrainian nationalists attack Moscow Patriarchate's church in Sumy 02 March 2015, 17:13
- Tajik Islamic Revival Party doesn't recognize election outcome 02 March 2015, 17:01
- Islamic trace among the possible reasons for the Nemtsov murder 02 March 2015, 10:04
- Lavrov to raise issue of Christians' protection with UNHRC in Geneva 02 March 2015, 10:03
- Russian Church hopes that Nemtsov murder will not be used for political games 02 March 2015, 10:02
- Russian Church urges world to stop terror, protect Christians in Middle East 27 February 2015, 17:41
- Orthodox travelers from Russia to cross Sahara 27 February 2015, 17:16
- Russia outlaws ISIL, Muslim Brotherhood - FSB 27 February 2015, 15:47
- Some one million Jews live in Russia 27 February 2015, 10:02
- Patriarch Kirill considers discussions in social nets the vanity fair 27 February 2015, 10:01
- FJCR's position on outcome of WWII deserves deep respect - Medvedev 26 February 2015, 16:51
- Jews feel more comfortable in Russia than in Europe - Berl Lazar 26 February 2015, 16:00
- Putin congratulates Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia on its 15th anniversary 26 February 2015, 15:58
- Russia condemns Islamic State's abduction of Syrian Christians 26 February 2015, 10:01