22 November 2006, 14:54
Moscow Patriarchate is against Constantinople’s attempts to intervene in other Orthodox Churches’ affairs
Moscow, November 22, Interfax - The Russian Orthodox Church denies that the Patriarchate of Constantinople can intervene in internal affairs of other Churches and urges to prevent division in the Orthodox world.
‘We deny the Patriarchate of Constantinople’s capacity to intervene in the jurisdiction of other Churches. This idea separates us from Rome at present,’ said the Chairman of the Moscow Patriarchate department for external church relations Metropolitan Kirill of Smolensk and Kaliningrad at the opening of the annual Radonezh festival of Orthodox films and TV programmes that took place in St. Nicholas’ church at the Tretyakov Gallery on Wednesday.
The Metropolitan remarked that the Orthodox Church is keeping its unity. The Patriarchate of Constantinople and the Russian Orthodox Church are in the eucharistic (liturgical) unity.
‘This unity must be preserved. One should not react to any provocations because of which this unity may be frustrated,’ he underscored.
According to Metropolitan Kirill, ‘the world would have looked differently,’ had Rome and Constantinople not divided in the 11th century.
‘We should prevent a division in the Orthodox world,’ the hierarch of the Russian Church underscored.
He remarked that an untraditional perception of the role and importance of the Patriarchate of Constantinople, ‘in no way connected with the canonical tradition of the Orthodox Church,’ began to develop in Constantinople in the early 20th century resulting in the split of Orthodoxy in the Baltic countries, Finland, Poland and within Russian emigration.
‘We do not think that the Patriarch of Constantinople is invested with powers as far as other local Orthodox Churches are concerned. We think there is no such a centre to which [the Orthodox Churches] can appeal. Only the Pan-Orthodox Council could play the part of this centre,’ Metropolitan Kirill said.
The Patriarchate of Constantinople has recently taken in its jurisdiction in violation of canonical rights the former administrator of the Sourozh diocese of the Russian Church Bishop Basil (Osborne) and supported schismatic groups in Ukraine.
- Religion department editor of the Dagestani newspaper detained on suspicion of terrorism financing 17 June 2019, 11:30
- Russian Catholics don’t believe in islamization of Europe 07 June 2019, 15:30
- Leaders, members of 15 Jehovah's Witnesses cells held in Dagestan 07 June 2019, 10:55
- World will be better if people follow Bible, Torah, Koran - Putin 06 June 2019, 18:01
- Russian Catholics urge not to have illusions about possible pontiff's visit to Moscow 06 June 2019, 17:05
- The Russian Orthodox Church is not ready to welcome the Pope of Rome in Moscow 06 June 2019, 16:04
- Putin to meet with Pope Francis 06 June 2019, 14:34
- Russian Jews pray for “lifting up” the soul of the reposed wife of the Israel’s president 06 June 2019, 11:32
- Russia's Jews present country as example of tolerance for Europe 04 June 2019, 18:48
- Remembrance of Great Patriotic War protects Russia from xenophobia, anti-Semitism - Putin 04 June 2019, 17:48
- Putin attends unveiling of monument to heroes of resistance in concentration camps 04 June 2019, 17:41
- Russian Muslim community plays major role in combating extremist ideology - PM Medvedev 04 June 2019, 11:28
- Putin notes Russian Muslims' contribution to peoples' unity, fight against extremism 04 June 2019, 11:25
- Last Sobibor uprising survivor dies 03 June 2019, 18:17
- Kiev Patriarchate does not exist, never existed - Patriarch Bartholomew 03 June 2019, 14:54
- Constantinople cannot solve complicated religious situation in Ukraine - Russian Orthodox Church 30 May 2019, 19:45
- Putin congratulates Jews on Salvation and Liberation Day 30 May 2019, 19:00
- Protests against construction of churches plotted by outside forces - Russian Orthodox Church 28 May 2019, 18:42
- Church on site of first Russian settlement Fort Ross in U.S. to be restored 28 May 2019, 17:27
- Russian Orthodox Church to open churches in Cyprus, Sweden 28 May 2019, 17:26
- Yekaterinburg residents offer some 50 sites for church construction 27 May 2019, 18:37
- Patriarch Kirill in meeting with Mijatovic asks Council of Europe to control observance of believers' rights in Ukraine 27 May 2019, 18:35
- Churches in Russia to keep being built as long as people need it - Patriarch Kirill 27 May 2019, 18:14
- Patriarch Kirill hopes for end to discrimination against Orthodox Christians in Ukraine under new president 27 May 2019, 18:13
- Europe, Russia should turn over page of misunderstanding - Patriarch Kirill 27 May 2019, 17:18
- Patriarch Kirill tells secretary general of Council of Europe is concerned about human rights issues 27 May 2019, 14:14
- Putin, Patriarch Kirill discuss matter of plans to build Yekaterinburg church – Peskov 27 May 2019, 13:42
- Metropolitan Kirill compares situation with church construction in Yekaterinburg to tsar's family killing 27 May 2019, 12:31
- Patriarch Kirill sanctifies Church of All Saints in Strasbourg 27 May 2019, 11:27
- Hegumen arrested after stabbing, injuring monk at Trinity Lavra of St. Sergius 24 May 2019, 19:10