22 November 2006, 14:54
Moscow Patriarchate is against Constantinople’s attempts to intervene in other Orthodox Churches’ affairs
Moscow, November 22, Interfax - The Russian Orthodox Church denies that the Patriarchate of Constantinople can intervene in internal affairs of other Churches and urges to prevent division in the Orthodox world.
‘We deny the Patriarchate of Constantinople’s capacity to intervene in the jurisdiction of other Churches. This idea separates us from Rome at present,’ said the Chairman of the Moscow Patriarchate department for external church relations Metropolitan Kirill of Smolensk and Kaliningrad at the opening of the annual Radonezh festival of Orthodox films and TV programmes that took place in St. Nicholas’ church at the Tretyakov Gallery on Wednesday.
The Metropolitan remarked that the Orthodox Church is keeping its unity. The Patriarchate of Constantinople and the Russian Orthodox Church are in the eucharistic (liturgical) unity.
‘This unity must be preserved. One should not react to any provocations because of which this unity may be frustrated,’ he underscored.
According to Metropolitan Kirill, ‘the world would have looked differently,’ had Rome and Constantinople not divided in the 11th century.
‘We should prevent a division in the Orthodox world,’ the hierarch of the Russian Church underscored.
He remarked that an untraditional perception of the role and importance of the Patriarchate of Constantinople, ‘in no way connected with the canonical tradition of the Orthodox Church,’ began to develop in Constantinople in the early 20th century resulting in the split of Orthodoxy in the Baltic countries, Finland, Poland and within Russian emigration.
‘We do not think that the Patriarch of Constantinople is invested with powers as far as other local Orthodox Churches are concerned. We think there is no such a centre to which [the Orthodox Churches] can appeal. Only the Pan-Orthodox Council could play the part of this centre,’ Metropolitan Kirill said.
The Patriarchate of Constantinople has recently taken in its jurisdiction in violation of canonical rights the former administrator of the Sourozh diocese of the Russian Church Bishop Basil (Osborne) and supported schismatic groups in Ukraine.
- Russian Church has established a day of remembrance for the victims of repression 27 September 2021, 11:06
- Russian Orthodox Church considering accepting Alexandria clergy who don't want to recognize Ukrainian schism 24 September 2021, 17:40
- Patriarch of Constantinople who visited Kiev has no right to speak on behalf of Orthodox world - Russian Church 24 September 2021, 17:24
- Russian Prosecutor General's Office designates two Scientology organizations undesirable 24 September 2021, 16:58
- Five Jehovah's Witnesses convicted in Russia's Volgograd Region 24 September 2021, 10:10
- Court dismisses appeal against forcible treatment of Yakutia shaman Gabyshev 23 September 2021, 15:22
- FJCR calls on Ukrainian authorities to expand definition of anti-Semitism 23 September 2021, 15:18
- Krasny Pakhar Jamaat added to Russian list of terrorist groups 22 September 2021, 16:29
- Ukraine adopts law on fight against anti-Semitism 22 September 2021, 13:38
- Afghanistan must form inclusive govt - SCO summit declaration 17 September 2021, 17:12
- Patriarch Kirill doubts legitimacy of authority of Patriarch Bartholomew of Constantinople 16 September 2021, 16:38
- Jehovah's Witness jailed for 3 years in Kostroma 08 September 2021, 10:00
- Jehovah's Witness from Pskov Region gets suspended sentence 08 September 2021, 10:00
- Putin notes contribution of Jewish religious organizations to interethnic peace, accord 06 September 2021, 14:26
- Metropolitan Hilarion compared Patriarch Bartholomew to a robber and a thief 06 September 2021, 10:52
- Russian Church concerned about the fate of Christians in Afghanistan 06 September 2021, 10:43
- Supporters of radical Islam held in Tula 06 September 2021, 10:36
- Defrocked priest Sergy's supporter remanded in custody – court 02 September 2021, 18:13
- More than 5.5 thousand clerics and monks of the Russian Orthodox Church in Russia have been ill with coronavirus 02 September 2021, 14:36
- More than 2.5 million people have visited the Jewish Museum in Moscow during its nine years of operation 02 September 2021, 14:31
- Lithuanian president promises not to allow LGBT history to be taught in schools 02 September 2021, 14:25
- Associate of former schema-hegumen Sergy detained in hatred fanning case 01 September 2021, 15:26
- Complaints about threats from Male State community should be processed by law enforcement agencies - Peskov 31 August 2021, 14:57
- Taliban to present themselves as less radical to get investments – expert 31 August 2021, 13:45
- Russian Justice Ministry adds 4 Ukrainian and Latvian religious movements to list of groups undesirable in Russia 30 August 2021, 18:12
- The church historian called the results of Patriarch Bartholomew's visit to Ukraine deplorable 30 August 2021, 16:04
- More than 500 Orthodox churches to be built in Moscow 30 August 2021, 11:07
- Russian authorities to check the construction of a closed "halal" village near Moscow 30 August 2021, 10:49
- Patriarch Kirill calls the visit of the Constantinople primate to Kiev sinful 30 August 2021, 10:40
- Organizers of Jehovah's Witnesses cell detained in Moscow 26 August 2021, 15:55