22 November 2006, 14:54
Moscow Patriarchate is against Constantinople’s attempts to intervene in other Orthodox Churches’ affairs
Moscow, November 22, Interfax - The Russian Orthodox Church denies that the Patriarchate of Constantinople can intervene in internal affairs of other Churches and urges to prevent division in the Orthodox world.
‘We deny the Patriarchate of Constantinople’s capacity to intervene in the jurisdiction of other Churches. This idea separates us from Rome at present,’ said the Chairman of the Moscow Patriarchate department for external church relations Metropolitan Kirill of Smolensk and Kaliningrad at the opening of the annual Radonezh festival of Orthodox films and TV programmes that took place in St. Nicholas’ church at the Tretyakov Gallery on Wednesday.
The Metropolitan remarked that the Orthodox Church is keeping its unity. The Patriarchate of Constantinople and the Russian Orthodox Church are in the eucharistic (liturgical) unity.
‘This unity must be preserved. One should not react to any provocations because of which this unity may be frustrated,’ he underscored.
According to Metropolitan Kirill, ‘the world would have looked differently,’ had Rome and Constantinople not divided in the 11th century.
‘We should prevent a division in the Orthodox world,’ the hierarch of the Russian Church underscored.
He remarked that an untraditional perception of the role and importance of the Patriarchate of Constantinople, ‘in no way connected with the canonical tradition of the Orthodox Church,’ began to develop in Constantinople in the early 20th century resulting in the split of Orthodoxy in the Baltic countries, Finland, Poland and within Russian emigration.
‘We do not think that the Patriarch of Constantinople is invested with powers as far as other local Orthodox Churches are concerned. We think there is no such a centre to which [the Orthodox Churches] can appeal. Only the Pan-Orthodox Council could play the part of this centre,’ Metropolitan Kirill said.
The Patriarchate of Constantinople has recently taken in its jurisdiction in violation of canonical rights the former administrator of the Sourozh diocese of the Russian Church Bishop Basil (Osborne) and supported schismatic groups in Ukraine.
- State Duma passes bill on life sentence for pedophiles 18 January 2022, 18:18
- Anti-Semitism is on the rise in Germany - Deputy Ambassador 18 January 2022, 18:16
- The head of Yakutia took part in Epiphany bathing in a 40-degree frost 18 January 2022, 18:10
- Patriarch Kirill admitted that part of the world Orthodoxy will go into schism 18 January 2022, 18:05
- Death penalty impossible in Russia - State Duma committee head 12 January 2022, 15:46
- Russian Orthodox Church works out a program of comprehensive presence in Africa 12 January 2022, 15:01
- Kazakh president urges preventing merger of criminality, religious extremism 11 January 2022, 11:38
- Russian Orthodox Church against lifting moratorium on death penalty 08 January 2022, 19:27
- Patriarch Kirill hopes Covid-19 pandemic will be over 07 January 2022, 19:28
- Patriarch Kirill prays for peace in Kazakhstan at Christmas service 07 January 2022, 19:26
- Patriarch Kirill concerned about the shortsightedness of politicians who speak to Russia from a position of strength 07 January 2022, 12:59
- Putin notes moral significance of Christmas 07 January 2022, 10:25
- Russian Orthodox Church sets up Patriarchal Exarchate of Africa 30 December 2021, 10:00
- Russian Church admits over 100 Patriarchate of Alexandria clerics as its members (updated) 29 December 2021, 17:56
- Russian govt orders monitoring of violations of citizens' rights along ethnic, religious lines 29 December 2021, 12:23
- Russian Church considers the long-term isolation of criminals no less effective than death penalty 29 December 2021, 11:30
- Russia not to reinstate death penalty in coming years - Presidential Human Rights Council member 29 December 2021, 11:14
- Group for protection of Christian values created at State Duma 29 December 2021, 11:12
- FJCR considers departure from traditional values the main reason for demographic decline of Jewish population after the war 27 December 2021, 12:14
- FJCR believes that mutual assistance has become the main social trend of 2021 27 December 2021, 12:03
- The head of the Russian Investigative Committee discussed the importance of spirituality in life and work with Mireille Mathieu 27 December 2021, 11:58
- Patriarch Kirill believes that modern cinema promotes the upbringing of an "old" person 27 December 2021, 11:54
- Russian Church to defrock priest Stremsky convicted of child abuse 24 December 2021, 18:21
- Orenburg priest gets 21 years in penal colony for violence against children 24 December 2021, 14:11
- Patriarch Kirill urges believers not to identify vaccination QR codes as 'Antichrist's marks' 24 December 2021, 10:19
- Insulting others not tantamount to freedom of creativity – Putin 23 December 2021, 18:29
- Patriarch Kirill worried by tightening control over people's privacy amid pandemic 23 December 2021, 18:08
- Blurring concepts of man and woman contradicts common sense – Putin 23 December 2021, 17:53
- Social networks should complement real life, not make people go virtual – Putin 23 December 2021, 16:44
- Putin deems liability for refusal to vaccinate to be pointless 23 December 2021, 14:59