22 November 2006, 14:54
Moscow Patriarchate is against Constantinople’s attempts to intervene in other Orthodox Churches’ affairs
Moscow, November 22, Interfax - The Russian Orthodox Church denies that the Patriarchate of Constantinople can intervene in internal affairs of other Churches and urges to prevent division in the Orthodox world.
‘We deny the Patriarchate of Constantinople’s capacity to intervene in the jurisdiction of other Churches. This idea separates us from Rome at present,’ said the Chairman of the Moscow Patriarchate department for external church relations Metropolitan Kirill of Smolensk and Kaliningrad at the opening of the annual Radonezh festival of Orthodox films and TV programmes that took place in St. Nicholas’ church at the Tretyakov Gallery on Wednesday.
The Metropolitan remarked that the Orthodox Church is keeping its unity. The Patriarchate of Constantinople and the Russian Orthodox Church are in the eucharistic (liturgical) unity.
‘This unity must be preserved. One should not react to any provocations because of which this unity may be frustrated,’ he underscored.
According to Metropolitan Kirill, ‘the world would have looked differently,’ had Rome and Constantinople not divided in the 11th century.
‘We should prevent a division in the Orthodox world,’ the hierarch of the Russian Church underscored.
He remarked that an untraditional perception of the role and importance of the Patriarchate of Constantinople, ‘in no way connected with the canonical tradition of the Orthodox Church,’ began to develop in Constantinople in the early 20th century resulting in the split of Orthodoxy in the Baltic countries, Finland, Poland and within Russian emigration.
‘We do not think that the Patriarch of Constantinople is invested with powers as far as other local Orthodox Churches are concerned. We think there is no such a centre to which [the Orthodox Churches] can appeal. Only the Pan-Orthodox Council could play the part of this centre,’ Metropolitan Kirill said.
The Patriarchate of Constantinople has recently taken in its jurisdiction in violation of canonical rights the former administrator of the Sourozh diocese of the Russian Church Bishop Basil (Osborne) and supported schismatic groups in Ukraine.
- Patriarch Kirill regrets that Ukrainians who prayed for people's unity during cross procession were suspected of political intent 28 July 2016, 16:37
- All-Ukrainian cross procession shows pan-European significance of Day of Christening of Rus - Russian Church 28 July 2016, 15:55
- Some 80,000 take part in religious procession in Kiev - Ukrainian Orthodox Church 27 July 2016, 18:57
- Patriarch Kirill urges Russian Olympians not to yield to pressure 27 July 2016, 18:16
- Police detain several people with provocative posters during cross procession in Kiev 27 July 2016, 18:12
- Movements discrediting Islam hurt millions of innocent people – Rahmon 27 July 2016, 15:50
- The prayer on Vladimirskaya Gorka in Kiev had over 30,000 participants 27 July 2016, 15:15
- Human Rights Council attracts attention of international institutions to violations during procession with cross in Ukraine 27 July 2016, 14:41
- Sacred procession participants head from European Square in direction of Kiev Monastery of the Caves 27 July 2016, 14:39
- Russian Jews calls terrorist act in Rouen church 'terrific provocation' aimed at kindling religious hostility 27 July 2016, 14:28
- Opponents to the procession with cross mistakenly mocked at the 'Kiev Patriarchate' leader 27 July 2016, 14:25
- From 8,000 to 10,000 believers gathered on Vladimirskaya Gorka in Kiev 27 July 2016, 14:18
- Patriarch Kirill shocked by gruesome killing of Catholic priest in Rouen, wishes people of France peace and blessings 27 July 2016, 11:19
- Vandals damaged a crypt at the tomb of renowned rabbi in Ukraine 27 July 2016, 11:06
- Ukrainian authorities had no right to block cross procession - Moscow Patriarchate 27 July 2016, 10:56
- Sacred procession near Kiev comes to halt again over suspicious object 26 July 2016, 19:28
- Ukraine's Interior Ministry moves to stop procession of believers walking along Zhytomyr Highway, make them proceed on buses 26 July 2016, 18:55
- Azov militant sentenced to 6 years in custody for arson of a mosque in Crimea 26 July 2016, 18:51
- Patriarch Kirill believes Christian Orthodox world won't be split despite political ill-wishers 26 July 2016, 18:48
- Patriarch Kirill calls Russia's stance on Syria noble and honest 26 July 2016, 18:46
- Participants in sacred procession move to Kiev by foot despite calls of law enforcers to use buses 26 July 2016, 18:36
- Ukrainian National Police, National Guard block sacred procession along Kiev's streets - Interior minister 26 July 2016, 14:09
- Ukrainian Interior Ministry offers to move sacred procession in Kiev via buses for safety considerations 26 July 2016, 14:06
- Former Yukos shareholders no longer claim Russian land site in Paris - defense lawyers for Russia 25 July 2016, 17:18
- Opponents to procession of Ukrainian Orthodox Church block highway to Borispol 25 July 2016, 16:12
- Dushanbe asks Interpol to help catch banned Islamic party leader 22 July 2016, 16:00
- Ukrainian intelligence: Russian special services intend to use Ukrainian Orthodox Church cross procession for provocations 22 July 2016, 15:06
- Non-participation by some Churches in Pan-Orthodox Council was caused by external attempt to cause division in Orthodox world - Lavrov 22 July 2016, 15:01
- Poroshenko regrets about decision on Volyn tragedy and urges to Christian conciliation 22 July 2016, 14:25
- It's unacceptable to use Ukrainian crisis to divide Orthodox Church - Lavrov 22 July 2016, 13:58