22 November 2006, 14:54
Moscow Patriarchate is against Constantinople’s attempts to intervene in other Orthodox Churches’ affairs
Moscow, November 22, Interfax - The Russian Orthodox Church denies that the Patriarchate of Constantinople can intervene in internal affairs of other Churches and urges to prevent division in the Orthodox world.
‘We deny the Patriarchate of Constantinople’s capacity to intervene in the jurisdiction of other Churches. This idea separates us from Rome at present,’ said the Chairman of the Moscow Patriarchate department for external church relations Metropolitan Kirill of Smolensk and Kaliningrad at the opening of the annual Radonezh festival of Orthodox films and TV programmes that took place in St. Nicholas’ church at the Tretyakov Gallery on Wednesday.
The Metropolitan remarked that the Orthodox Church is keeping its unity. The Patriarchate of Constantinople and the Russian Orthodox Church are in the eucharistic (liturgical) unity.
‘This unity must be preserved. One should not react to any provocations because of which this unity may be frustrated,’ he underscored.
According to Metropolitan Kirill, ‘the world would have looked differently,’ had Rome and Constantinople not divided in the 11th century.
‘We should prevent a division in the Orthodox world,’ the hierarch of the Russian Church underscored.
He remarked that an untraditional perception of the role and importance of the Patriarchate of Constantinople, ‘in no way connected with the canonical tradition of the Orthodox Church,’ began to develop in Constantinople in the early 20th century resulting in the split of Orthodoxy in the Baltic countries, Finland, Poland and within Russian emigration.
‘We do not think that the Patriarch of Constantinople is invested with powers as far as other local Orthodox Churches are concerned. We think there is no such a centre to which [the Orthodox Churches] can appeal. Only the Pan-Orthodox Council could play the part of this centre,’ Metropolitan Kirill said.
The Patriarchate of Constantinople has recently taken in its jurisdiction in violation of canonical rights the former administrator of the Sourozh diocese of the Russian Church Bishop Basil (Osborne) and supported schismatic groups in Ukraine.
- Founder of Russian icon museum - among victims of helicopter crash in Greece 22 August 2019, 12:50
- Al-Assad asks for Russian language teachers in Syria to counter Western culture and Wahhabism - Russian MP 20 August 2019, 15:28
- Ukraine has made a great contribution to combating antisemitism - Netanyahu 19 August 2019, 18:19
- Ukrainian Autocephalous Orthodox Church ceases to exist 14 August 2019, 20:12
- Over 60% of Russians identify as Orthodox, 1 out of every 6 is atheist - poll 14 August 2019, 13:51
- Russian Orthodox Church offers "Russian exarchate" to join it preserving its statute and traditions 12 August 2019, 15:33
- Gay couple with adopted children can't return to Russia yet - rights activists 12 August 2019, 14:53
- Zelensky discusses Crimea, Donbass with Patriarch Bartholomew 09 August 2019, 11:58
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church sees good signal in Zelensky's remarks at meeting with Patriarch Bartholomew 08 August 2019, 20:25
- Zelensky promises Patriarch Bartholomew: state won't interfere in church affairs 08 August 2019, 16:51
- Russian Jewish community leader calls news of Vilnius Synagogue closure frightening 08 August 2019, 14:31
- Vilnius synagogue closes due to local Jews' safety fears 07 August 2019, 20:39
- The battles of Stalingrad, Moscow to be depicted at facades of the main church of Russian military forces 07 August 2019, 17:25
- The Russian Orthodox Church criticizes the project of 'futuristic' church in Moscow 07 August 2019, 17:23
- Patriarch Kirill sends condolences to Trump over deadly shootings in Texas, Ohio 06 August 2019, 13:18
- U.S. consul general denies Washington's involvement in Yekaterinburg protests 05 August 2019, 18:47
- Zelensky planning to meet with Erdogan, Patriarch Bartholomew during Turkey visit 05 August 2019, 11:48
- Vatican embassy describes reports on pontiff's visit to Russia on May 9, 2020, as rumors 01 August 2019, 16:21
- Patriarch Kirill sees the threat of restricting human freedom in digital technologies 01 August 2019, 15:52
- Baikal shamans bring sheep and vodka to their gods to help extinguishing fire 01 August 2019, 15:50
- 300,000 Ukrainian Orthodox Church believers participate in the procession with cross on the Day of Russia’s Baptism 29 July 2019, 10:59
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church hopes Zelensky's anti-raiding decree will affect religious sphere 24 July 2019, 17:22
- Pope Francis of Rome congratulates Russian opera singer Svetlana Kasyan on her birthday 24 July 2019, 16:29
- Court of Appeal recognized illegal the Ukrainian state’s attempt to rename the Ukrainian Orthodox Church 24 July 2019, 13:56
- Religion section editor of Dagestani newspaper charged with financing terrorism 24 July 2019, 13:22
- The Russian Church warns that Trump's taxes on Chinese goods may lead to crisis of Christian mission in the USA 22 July 2019, 16:35
- Sagrada Familia and Notre Dame listed among five most frequently photoed sights 22 July 2019, 13:56
- "Contemporary" church to be built in the Setun valley in Moscow 22 July 2019, 11:38
- Georgian campaigners for gay propaganda ban hand out treats for signatures 22 July 2019, 11:34
- Icons presented to Putin and Lukashenko at Konevets monastery near St. Petersburg 18 July 2019, 11:58