22 November 2006, 14:54
Moscow Patriarchate is against Constantinople’s attempts to intervene in other Orthodox Churches’ affairs
Moscow, November 22, Interfax - The Russian Orthodox Church denies that the Patriarchate of Constantinople can intervene in internal affairs of other Churches and urges to prevent division in the Orthodox world.
‘We deny the Patriarchate of Constantinople’s capacity to intervene in the jurisdiction of other Churches. This idea separates us from Rome at present,’ said the Chairman of the Moscow Patriarchate department for external church relations Metropolitan Kirill of Smolensk and Kaliningrad at the opening of the annual Radonezh festival of Orthodox films and TV programmes that took place in St. Nicholas’ church at the Tretyakov Gallery on Wednesday.
The Metropolitan remarked that the Orthodox Church is keeping its unity. The Patriarchate of Constantinople and the Russian Orthodox Church are in the eucharistic (liturgical) unity.
‘This unity must be preserved. One should not react to any provocations because of which this unity may be frustrated,’ he underscored.
According to Metropolitan Kirill, ‘the world would have looked differently,’ had Rome and Constantinople not divided in the 11th century.
‘We should prevent a division in the Orthodox world,’ the hierarch of the Russian Church underscored.
He remarked that an untraditional perception of the role and importance of the Patriarchate of Constantinople, ‘in no way connected with the canonical tradition of the Orthodox Church,’ began to develop in Constantinople in the early 20th century resulting in the split of Orthodoxy in the Baltic countries, Finland, Poland and within Russian emigration.
‘We do not think that the Patriarch of Constantinople is invested with powers as far as other local Orthodox Churches are concerned. We think there is no such a centre to which [the Orthodox Churches] can appeal. Only the Pan-Orthodox Council could play the part of this centre,’ Metropolitan Kirill said.
The Patriarchate of Constantinople has recently taken in its jurisdiction in violation of canonical rights the former administrator of the Sourozh diocese of the Russian Church Bishop Basil (Osborne) and supported schismatic groups in Ukraine.
- Lavrov on Kiev's decision to block the UN Security Council's statement on the death of Churkin: it's not Christian 21 February 2017, 14:25
- Renowned elder Archimandrite Kirill (Pavlov) passes away 21 February 2017, 13:28
- Priest of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church attacked in the Odessa Region 20 February 2017, 17:07
- Patriarch Kirill urges to redeem sins of revolution building up a just society 20 February 2017, 17:04
- Russian Church accuses opponents of St. Isaac's Cathedral handover of attempting to "rock the boat" 20 February 2017, 10:54
- Orthodox Church warns Russians against militaristic rhetoric 20 February 2017, 10:01
- Russian Muslims to take care of Syrian refugees and their school in Lebanon 17 February 2017, 17:12
- Georgian patriarch says he has known Deacon Mamaladze for a long time, calls his detention 'strange' 17 February 2017, 10:18
- Before the fight in USA Fyodor Yemelyanenko confesses he fights to glorify Christ 16 February 2017, 16:13
- Georgian patriarch to return to Georgia after surgery in Germany on February 20 16 February 2017, 15:02
- Detained on accusation of attempted murder deacon Mamaladze claims he is not guilty - ombudsman 15 February 2017, 13:50
- Israel to discuss anti-Semitism definition with Russia to avoid interpretations of word's meaning in future - Israeli ambassador 15 February 2017, 10:07
- Israeli ambassador in Moscow hopes Russian leadership to prevent acts of antisemitism in Russia 15 February 2017, 10:00
- Ilia II feeling fine after operation in Germany - Georgian Patriarchate 14 February 2017, 15:47
- The Moscow Patriarchate welcomes measures on banning state funding of abortions in the USA 14 February 2017, 11:53
- Cross missing at the Moldavian flag during its president's visit to Iran resulted in a scandal 13 February 2017, 19:13
- Georgian president concerned over reports of plotted assassination of Georgian Orthodox Church's high-ranking clergyman 13 February 2017, 19:11
- Pilots from Admiral Kuznetsov prayed and took blessing before combat missions – priest 13 February 2017, 16:07
- High-ranking clergyman arrested in Tbilisi on attempted murder charge 13 February 2017, 15:55
- Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia urges to settle the question with St. Isaac Cathedral in compliance with the law 13 February 2017, 14:23
- One more UOC church seized in Ukraine 13 February 2017, 11:29
- The Ukrainian Orthodox Church compares persecutions of Orthodox believers in Ukraine to Soviet atheist era 13 February 2017, 10:00
- Sochi rabbi at risk of deportation intends to acquire Russian citizenship 10 February 2017, 18:47
- Syria's grand mufti invites Patriarch Kirill to hold interreligious conference 10 February 2017, 16:59
- Patriarch of Georgia will be operated in Germany on February 13 10 February 2017, 14:49
- Prayer service for peace in Syria held in Damascus 09 February 2017, 10:23
- Russian aid helps tens of thousands of Christians stay in Aleppo - Patriarch John X 09 February 2017, 10:00
- FJCR president surprised with accusations against Sochi rabbi, hopes for positive outcome 07 February 2017, 20:10
- Christians of Syria pray for Putin's health and invite Patriarch Kirill 07 February 2017, 15:16
- Fashion expert calls Islamic influence the most powerful trend in today's fashion 06 February 2017, 14:47