22 November 2006, 14:54
Moscow Patriarchate is against Constantinople’s attempts to intervene in other Orthodox Churches’ affairs
Moscow, November 22, Interfax - The Russian Orthodox Church denies that the Patriarchate of Constantinople can intervene in internal affairs of other Churches and urges to prevent division in the Orthodox world.
‘We deny the Patriarchate of Constantinople’s capacity to intervene in the jurisdiction of other Churches. This idea separates us from Rome at present,’ said the Chairman of the Moscow Patriarchate department for external church relations Metropolitan Kirill of Smolensk and Kaliningrad at the opening of the annual Radonezh festival of Orthodox films and TV programmes that took place in St. Nicholas’ church at the Tretyakov Gallery on Wednesday.
The Metropolitan remarked that the Orthodox Church is keeping its unity. The Patriarchate of Constantinople and the Russian Orthodox Church are in the eucharistic (liturgical) unity.
‘This unity must be preserved. One should not react to any provocations because of which this unity may be frustrated,’ he underscored.
According to Metropolitan Kirill, ‘the world would have looked differently,’ had Rome and Constantinople not divided in the 11th century.
‘We should prevent a division in the Orthodox world,’ the hierarch of the Russian Church underscored.
He remarked that an untraditional perception of the role and importance of the Patriarchate of Constantinople, ‘in no way connected with the canonical tradition of the Orthodox Church,’ began to develop in Constantinople in the early 20th century resulting in the split of Orthodoxy in the Baltic countries, Finland, Poland and within Russian emigration.
‘We do not think that the Patriarch of Constantinople is invested with powers as far as other local Orthodox Churches are concerned. We think there is no such a centre to which [the Orthodox Churches] can appeal. Only the Pan-Orthodox Council could play the part of this centre,’ Metropolitan Kirill said.
The Patriarchate of Constantinople has recently taken in its jurisdiction in violation of canonical rights the former administrator of the Sourozh diocese of the Russian Church Bishop Basil (Osborne) and supported schismatic groups in Ukraine.
- Almost 80% of Russians approve of Jehovah's Witnesses ban in country – poll 25 July 2017, 10:00
- A total of 182,000 believers go on pilgrimage to Nicholas the Wonderworker's relics in St. Pete over past week 20 July 2017, 18:03
- LGBT problem doesn't exist in Chechnya - Russian envoy to OSCE 20 July 2017, 10:05
- Washington urges Russia to lift ban on Jehovah's Witnesses' activities 20 July 2017, 10:00
- Kazakhstan not planning to ban Jehovah's Witnesses - minister 19 July 2017, 17:35
- The Ecumenical Patriarch called the Donbass conflict a "fratricidal war" and prayed for peace in Ukraine 19 July 2017, 13:32
- Jehovah's Witnesses intent to appeal with ECHR against ruling to abolish organization – lawyer 18 July 2017, 10:04
- Russian Supreme Court refuses to invalidate ban imposed on Jehovah's Witnesses in Russia 18 July 2017, 10:00
- Metropolitan Hilarion believes prolongation of sanctions not harmful for Russia 17 July 2017, 12:30
- Metropolitan Hilarion is sure that Putin's meeting with Trump will help save lives in the Middle East 17 July 2017, 10:53
- Imams to combat TB in Kyrgyzstan 17 July 2017, 10:37
- Genetic engineering has right to existence if it can help treat people, professor-deacon believes 14 July 2017, 13:17
- Not a single instance of harassment against gays reported in Chechnya – Lavrov 13 July 2017, 18:03
- Investigative Committee fully rules out religious motive in Nemtsov murder case, only motive is financial gain 13 July 2017, 13:18
- Relics of St. Nicholas come to Alexander Nevsky Lavra in St. Petersburg 13 July 2017, 13:14
- Peskov denies report of Putin presenting yacht to Valaam monks 12 July 2017, 17:01
- Over 1.75 million people go on pilgrimage to St. Nicholas relics in Moscow 12 July 2017, 13:48
- Atambayev calls on people of Kyrgyzstan to focus on education instead of religion 12 July 2017, 11:44
- Italian marquise conveyed a particle of St. Catherine relics to the Yekaterinburg Diocese 11 July 2017, 10:25
- LGBT issues are raised in Western organizations only for purpose of condemning Russia or other countries – Slutsky 10 July 2017, 17:15
- Expert confirm authenticity of 'Yekaterinburg remains' in meeting with patriarch in June - Romanov Family Association 10 July 2017, 16:57
- Sverdlovsk Region Court mitigates sentence for 'Pokemon catcher' 07 July 2017, 13:10
- Metropolitan Hilarion denies calling for restoration of monarchy 07 July 2017, 10:25
- One and a half million people go on pilgrimage to Nicholas the Wonderworker's relics in Moscow 06 July 2017, 18:01
- Investigative Committee has not registered persecution of LGBT people in Chechnya yet – Moskalkova 06 July 2017, 15:10
- Four suspected religious extremists detained in Kyrgyzstan 06 July 2017, 10:28
- Moskalkova asks Turkish ombudsman to help exempt baptized children who live in Turkey from Islam lessons 06 July 2017, 10:17
- Lvov authorities demand to investigate an attack against synagogue as unidentified criminals threw 'Molotov cocktails' to it 04 July 2017, 12:11
- The Russian Church protests against the Strasbourg decision to withdraw life support from the seriously ill British boy 03 July 2017, 21:57
- Monks in Valaam breed peacocks 03 July 2017, 20:18