22 November 2006, 14:54
Moscow Patriarchate is against Constantinople’s attempts to intervene in other Orthodox Churches’ affairs
Moscow, November 22, Interfax - The Russian Orthodox Church denies that the Patriarchate of Constantinople can intervene in internal affairs of other Churches and urges to prevent division in the Orthodox world.
‘We deny the Patriarchate of Constantinople’s capacity to intervene in the jurisdiction of other Churches. This idea separates us from Rome at present,’ said the Chairman of the Moscow Patriarchate department for external church relations Metropolitan Kirill of Smolensk and Kaliningrad at the opening of the annual Radonezh festival of Orthodox films and TV programmes that took place in St. Nicholas’ church at the Tretyakov Gallery on Wednesday.
The Metropolitan remarked that the Orthodox Church is keeping its unity. The Patriarchate of Constantinople and the Russian Orthodox Church are in the eucharistic (liturgical) unity.
‘This unity must be preserved. One should not react to any provocations because of which this unity may be frustrated,’ he underscored.
According to Metropolitan Kirill, ‘the world would have looked differently,’ had Rome and Constantinople not divided in the 11th century.
‘We should prevent a division in the Orthodox world,’ the hierarch of the Russian Church underscored.
He remarked that an untraditional perception of the role and importance of the Patriarchate of Constantinople, ‘in no way connected with the canonical tradition of the Orthodox Church,’ began to develop in Constantinople in the early 20th century resulting in the split of Orthodoxy in the Baltic countries, Finland, Poland and within Russian emigration.
‘We do not think that the Patriarch of Constantinople is invested with powers as far as other local Orthodox Churches are concerned. We think there is no such a centre to which [the Orthodox Churches] can appeal. Only the Pan-Orthodox Council could play the part of this centre,’ Metropolitan Kirill said.
The Patriarchate of Constantinople has recently taken in its jurisdiction in violation of canonical rights the former administrator of the Sourozh diocese of the Russian Church Bishop Basil (Osborne) and supported schismatic groups in Ukraine.
- Valaam Monastery to raise up to 200 tonnes of trout per year in response to sanctions 28 August 2015, 17:59
- Hizb ut-Tahrir follower seized in Kyrgyzstan for illegal religious training of young girls 28 August 2015, 12:57
- Cathedral mosque to be built in Simferopol with Turkey participating - Mufti of Crimea 27 August 2015, 14:34
- Russian soldiers will learn methods of struggle against Islamic radicals and sects 26 August 2015, 13:07
- Russian Church likens attacks on Orthodox Ukrainians to Soviet-era persecutions 26 August 2015, 10:04
- Shelling damages a diocesan building in Gorlovka 25 August 2015, 11:16
- Patriarch Kirill hopes for interaction between Ukrainian Orthodox Church, Ukrainian authorities in interests of society 24 August 2015, 17:11
- Schismatics disrupted a divine service and seized an Orthodox church not far from Kiev 24 August 2015, 11:29
- Court seizes over one million Jehovah's Witnesses brochures brought into Russia 21 August 2015, 17:42
- Blogger from Karelia who criticized Church and received shelter in Estonia offers to exchange himself for Kohver 20 August 2015, 16:20
- Deputy imam killed in Stavropol territory 20 August 2015, 14:20
- Russia and Church cast a challenge to all evil powers - Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin 20 August 2015, 10:06
- 20% decrease in number of hajj-goers is prognosed in Russia as the ruble devaluates 19 August 2015, 17:50
- Kazakh priest conquers highest mountain in the Central Asia 19 August 2015, 12:58
- Teenagers hoist ISIL flag in southern Tajikistan 19 August 2015, 12:34
- African Patriarch to make pilgrimage to Russia 18 August 2015, 15:37
- Aksyonov won't allow gay prides in Crimea 18 August 2015, 14:18
- Orthodox believers ask Moscow Prosecutor to give legal evaluation of notorious exhibition in Manege 18 August 2015, 12:29
- Orthodox activists deny involvement in Moscow deputy assault 18 August 2015, 10:05
- Member of Hizb ut-Tahrir cell in St. Petersburg sentenced to five years in jail 17 August 2015, 17:20
- Petards and smoke grenades thrown at participants in homosexual forum in Odessa 17 August 2015, 15:08
- Incident in Manege promotes exhibition and Enteo, both sides should be punished, Orthodox human rights advocate believes 17 August 2015, 14:43
- Church official speaks for giving the food stuff on Russia's embargo list to the poor and Donbass 17 August 2015, 11:20
- Manezh radical attack to increase price of insurance for works of art going to Moscow - culture expert 17 August 2015, 10:21
- Rights defender Alexeyeva calls for punishing religious activists who vandalized sculpture exhibition in Moscow 17 August 2015, 10:07
- Art exhibition at Moscow's Manege working as normal following attack by radical Orthodox activists 17 August 2015, 10:00
- Incident with Russian top model Natalia Vodianova's sister should exterminate attitude to the disabled as second-class people 14 August 2015, 19:54
- Court bans LGBT march in Odessa 13 August 2015, 16:45
- UOC asks Constantinople not to interfere in church affairs in Ukraine 13 August 2015, 15:48
- Ukraine's border guard service reports detention of priest allegedly involved with militia battalion in Donbass 13 August 2015, 14:21