22 November 2006, 14:54
Moscow Patriarchate is against Constantinople’s attempts to intervene in other Orthodox Churches’ affairs
Moscow, November 22, Interfax - The Russian Orthodox Church denies that the Patriarchate of Constantinople can intervene in internal affairs of other Churches and urges to prevent division in the Orthodox world.
‘We deny the Patriarchate of Constantinople’s capacity to intervene in the jurisdiction of other Churches. This idea separates us from Rome at present,’ said the Chairman of the Moscow Patriarchate department for external church relations Metropolitan Kirill of Smolensk and Kaliningrad at the opening of the annual Radonezh festival of Orthodox films and TV programmes that took place in St. Nicholas’ church at the Tretyakov Gallery on Wednesday.
The Metropolitan remarked that the Orthodox Church is keeping its unity. The Patriarchate of Constantinople and the Russian Orthodox Church are in the eucharistic (liturgical) unity.
‘This unity must be preserved. One should not react to any provocations because of which this unity may be frustrated,’ he underscored.
According to Metropolitan Kirill, ‘the world would have looked differently,’ had Rome and Constantinople not divided in the 11th century.
‘We should prevent a division in the Orthodox world,’ the hierarch of the Russian Church underscored.
He remarked that an untraditional perception of the role and importance of the Patriarchate of Constantinople, ‘in no way connected with the canonical tradition of the Orthodox Church,’ began to develop in Constantinople in the early 20th century resulting in the split of Orthodoxy in the Baltic countries, Finland, Poland and within Russian emigration.
‘We do not think that the Patriarch of Constantinople is invested with powers as far as other local Orthodox Churches are concerned. We think there is no such a centre to which [the Orthodox Churches] can appeal. Only the Pan-Orthodox Council could play the part of this centre,’ Metropolitan Kirill said.
The Patriarchate of Constantinople has recently taken in its jurisdiction in violation of canonical rights the former administrator of the Sourozh diocese of the Russian Church Bishop Basil (Osborne) and supported schismatic groups in Ukraine.
- Representative of the Antioch Patriarchate thanks Russian militants for help in Syria 01 July 2016, 10:55
- Russian Church welcomes shutdown of "Moscow church of scientology" 01 July 2016, 10:04
- Patriarch Kirill wishes courage to victims of Istanbul terrorist act 30 June 2016, 15:24
- Terror eventually touched Turkey In result of Turkish policy of double standards, Jewish leader of Russia believes 30 June 2016, 10:26
- Six Salafism adherents detained in Kazakhstan 30 June 2016, 10:10
- Moscow would like Venice Commission to react to Rada appeal on Ukrainian Orthodox Church's autocephaly 30 June 2016, 10:07
- Eleven religious radicals arrested over case of terror attack preparation in Kazakhstan, 1 dies during arrest (updated) 29 June 2016, 15:07
- Pope takes side of Azerbaijan on Karabakh issue - Baku 27 June 2016, 11:53
- Moscow Patriarchate tells Constantinople democracy is irrelevant in church life 27 June 2016, 11:40
- Vatican-Ankara relations will not sour over Pope's statement on Armenian genocide - Holy See 27 June 2016, 10:45
- Pope Francis again calls 1915 events in Ottoman Empire 'genocide' 27 June 2016, 10:28
- Russian Security Council notes active use of religious organizations by foreign special services 27 June 2016, 10:26
- Holy Synod to determine Russian Church's attitude to Orthodox forum on Crete in July 27 June 2016, 10:00
- Experts warn against Constantinople's attempt to set up a standing body of ruling the Orthodox world 24 June 2016, 18:42
- Pope Francis has meeting in Etchmiadzin Monastery in Armenia 24 June 2016, 17:12
- Pope arrives in Armenia 24 June 2016, 14:19
- Independence of the Ukrainian Church from Moscow can result in religious war - expert 24 June 2016, 12:07
- July 5 declared non-working day in Crimea due to Muslim holiday 23 June 2016, 18:03
- Patriarch Kirill thanks God that leader of Syrian Christians survived terrorist attack 23 June 2016, 14:44
- Russian Church registers 130 violations of Orthodox Christians' rights in Europe in 2015 22 June 2016, 17:06
- Vatican State Secretary urges Ukrainians not to be nationalists and not to drive themselves into ghetto 22 June 2016, 12:51
- Scientologists detained in St. Petersburg remain under witness status, no charges pressed – source 22 June 2016, 12:27
- Searches over case of illegal activity of Church of Scientology conducted at 14 venues in Moscow, St. Petersburg and Leningrad Region – FSB (updated) 21 June 2016, 14:20
- No jihadist training camps in Ukraine - SBU head (updated) 21 June 2016, 13:39
- Law enforcement officials taking passport details of Church of Scientology members in Moscow 21 June 2016, 13:10
- Searches underway in Moscow and St. Petersburg to suppress unlawful activities of Church of Scientology (updated) 21 June 2016, 10:44
- Religious motive did not confirmed as a version of Nemtsov's murder 20 June 2016, 16:06
- Crete forum not to address Ukrainian issue - Constantinople Patriarchate 20 June 2016, 12:45
- Religious extremists killed in Nalchik 20 June 2016, 12:42
- Ukrainian Church asks president, prosecutors to react to parliamentarians' address to Rada's initiative 17 June 2016, 10:20