22 November 2006, 14:54
Moscow Patriarchate is against Constantinople’s attempts to intervene in other Orthodox Churches’ affairs
Moscow, November 22, Interfax - The Russian Orthodox Church denies that the Patriarchate of Constantinople can intervene in internal affairs of other Churches and urges to prevent division in the Orthodox world.
‘We deny the Patriarchate of Constantinople’s capacity to intervene in the jurisdiction of other Churches. This idea separates us from Rome at present,’ said the Chairman of the Moscow Patriarchate department for external church relations Metropolitan Kirill of Smolensk and Kaliningrad at the opening of the annual Radonezh festival of Orthodox films and TV programmes that took place in St. Nicholas’ church at the Tretyakov Gallery on Wednesday.
The Metropolitan remarked that the Orthodox Church is keeping its unity. The Patriarchate of Constantinople and the Russian Orthodox Church are in the eucharistic (liturgical) unity.
‘This unity must be preserved. One should not react to any provocations because of which this unity may be frustrated,’ he underscored.
According to Metropolitan Kirill, ‘the world would have looked differently,’ had Rome and Constantinople not divided in the 11th century.
‘We should prevent a division in the Orthodox world,’ the hierarch of the Russian Church underscored.
He remarked that an untraditional perception of the role and importance of the Patriarchate of Constantinople, ‘in no way connected with the canonical tradition of the Orthodox Church,’ began to develop in Constantinople in the early 20th century resulting in the split of Orthodoxy in the Baltic countries, Finland, Poland and within Russian emigration.
‘We do not think that the Patriarch of Constantinople is invested with powers as far as other local Orthodox Churches are concerned. We think there is no such a centre to which [the Orthodox Churches] can appeal. Only the Pan-Orthodox Council could play the part of this centre,’ Metropolitan Kirill said.
The Patriarchate of Constantinople has recently taken in its jurisdiction in violation of canonical rights the former administrator of the Sourozh diocese of the Russian Church Bishop Basil (Osborne) and supported schismatic groups in Ukraine.
- First Russian church opened in Cyprus 27 March 2017, 13:49
- Russian Church will include some more western saints in its calendar 27 March 2017, 12:26
- Orthodox believers will celebrate St. Patrick's Day in downtown Moscow 27 March 2017, 10:57
- Origins of West's hatred of Russia lie in split of Christianity - Zyuganov 27 March 2017, 10:00
- Russia, France need to pool efforts to protect world from dangers of globalism, Islamic fundamentalism - Le Pen (updated) 24 March 2017, 10:55
- Sixty-eight percent of citizens oppose monarchy in Russia - poll 24 March 2017, 09:30
- Rabbi Lazar urges to legalize circumcision in Russia 23 March 2017, 13:14
- Ostriches raised in a Kemerovo church, pheasants will be next 23 March 2017, 10:17
- Church official believes Lenin will be buried sooner or later 22 March 2017, 16:01
- Head of antic god or hero found at the construction site of the Crimean bridge 22 March 2017, 13:59
- Moscow mosque imam Velitov to face trial for public justification of terrorism - lawyer 22 March 2017, 12:33
- Third of Russians count national history from Kievan Rus, its Christianization - poll 22 March 2017, 12:12
- Russian masons stunned by deputy Milonov's accusations 21 March 2017, 19:40
- Putin, Russian chief mufti discuss Muslim community's activity 21 March 2017, 18:23
- Bishop of the Russian Church compares Russia airbase in Syria to a monastery 21 March 2017, 10:55
- The Russian Church will introduce its ecological initiatives to the UN 20 March 2017, 16:16
- Church official calls Stalin "executioner" and supports ban on his perpetuation in Ingushetia 20 March 2017, 14:19
- Rector of a Moscow church awakenes conscience in prostitutes who threatenes him 20 March 2017, 10:51
- Russia preserved thanks to "natural conservatism" of its people - Patriarch Kirill 20 March 2017, 10:08
- Waffen SS veterans' march in Riga glorifies murderers, justifies Nazism - Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia 20 March 2017, 10:00
- Couple in Cherkessk decides what to do with embryos in court 17 March 2017, 18:34
- The Moscow Patriarchate believes Lenin's burial is untimely 17 March 2017, 17:04
- Moldovan President counts on Patriarch Kirill's support in reuniting his country 17 March 2017, 12:36
- FJCR head criticizes ultra-Orthodox Jews who do not work and do not serve in the army 17 March 2017, 10:11
- Putin meets with head of Russian Orthodox Old-Rite Church 17 March 2017, 10:00
- Icon of Crimea heavenly protector to be delivered to the International Space Station 16 March 2017, 11:17
- Kazakhstan's AIFC strives to create favorable environment for Islamic financial institutions 15 March 2017, 13:32
- On the 100th anniversary of the emperor's abdication the patriarch prays for victims of the revolution and civil war 15 March 2017, 13:11
- Russia needs Orthodox monarchy – Crimean head 15 March 2017, 13:07
- ROCOR urges to rid Red Square of Lenin's remains and destroy monuments to him 13 March 2017, 11:07