22 November 2006, 14:54
Moscow Patriarchate is against Constantinople’s attempts to intervene in other Orthodox Churches’ affairs
Moscow, November 22, Interfax - The Russian Orthodox Church denies that the Patriarchate of Constantinople can intervene in internal affairs of other Churches and urges to prevent division in the Orthodox world.
‘We deny the Patriarchate of Constantinople’s capacity to intervene in the jurisdiction of other Churches. This idea separates us from Rome at present,’ said the Chairman of the Moscow Patriarchate department for external church relations Metropolitan Kirill of Smolensk and Kaliningrad at the opening of the annual Radonezh festival of Orthodox films and TV programmes that took place in St. Nicholas’ church at the Tretyakov Gallery on Wednesday.
The Metropolitan remarked that the Orthodox Church is keeping its unity. The Patriarchate of Constantinople and the Russian Orthodox Church are in the eucharistic (liturgical) unity.
‘This unity must be preserved. One should not react to any provocations because of which this unity may be frustrated,’ he underscored.
According to Metropolitan Kirill, ‘the world would have looked differently,’ had Rome and Constantinople not divided in the 11th century.
‘We should prevent a division in the Orthodox world,’ the hierarch of the Russian Church underscored.
He remarked that an untraditional perception of the role and importance of the Patriarchate of Constantinople, ‘in no way connected with the canonical tradition of the Orthodox Church,’ began to develop in Constantinople in the early 20th century resulting in the split of Orthodoxy in the Baltic countries, Finland, Poland and within Russian emigration.
‘We do not think that the Patriarch of Constantinople is invested with powers as far as other local Orthodox Churches are concerned. We think there is no such a centre to which [the Orthodox Churches] can appeal. Only the Pan-Orthodox Council could play the part of this centre,’ Metropolitan Kirill said.
The Patriarchate of Constantinople has recently taken in its jurisdiction in violation of canonical rights the former administrator of the Sourozh diocese of the Russian Church Bishop Basil (Osborne) and supported schismatic groups in Ukraine.
- Navalny's ally in Petersburg asks to recognize the Bible extremist literature 11 March 2014, 17:40
- Russian Foreign Ministry welcomes release of Orthodox nuns in Syria 11 March 2014, 17:21
- Prayers for love and peace to be lifted up in all Crimean churches and monasteries 11 March 2014, 16:07
- Council of 15 local Orthodox Churches to be held in 2016 11 March 2014, 11:56
- Patriarch Kirill calls to speed up preparations for All-Orthodox Council 11 March 2014, 10:00
- Russian Muslim leader: Crimea has the right to choose to become part of Russia 07 March 2014, 10:04
- Acting Ukrainian president is a pastor and its prime is a scientologist 05 March 2014, 17:28
- Patriarch Kirill to meet with heads of Orthodox Churches in Istanbul 05 March 2014, 16:04
- Kadyrov orders to provide housing to Orthodox priests 05 March 2014, 10:01
- Crimean authorities promise to fight against Hizb ut-Tahrir 03 March 2014, 16:39
- Ideas calling for revision of moral values are dangerous - Lavrov 03 March 2014, 15:36
- Russia slams Western countries' attempts to "flirts" with Islamist rebels in Syria 03 March 2014, 10:11
- Russian patriarch asks Turchynov to stop ethnic discrimination 03 March 2014, 10:10
- Patriarch Kirill prays for peace in Ukraine 03 March 2014, 10:05
- Tatarstan mufti calls on Ukraine's Muslims to resolve disputes peacefully 28 February 2014, 14:35
- Stepashin meets Pope Francis 27 February 2014, 11:23
- Moscow urges Kiev to stop nation from sliding to religious confrontation 27 February 2014, 10:01
- Patriarch Kirill calls for end of violence in Ukraine 26 February 2014, 17:09
- Orthodox Christian fund wants to buy Kutuzov monument removed in Ukraine 26 February 2014, 16:00
- Old Russian icons are taken from Kiev exhibition ahead of schedule to escape the danger of damage 26 February 2014, 13:04
- Locum tenens of the Kievan See is skeptic about prospects of the dialogue with schismatics in the "time of trouble" 26 February 2014, 12:48
- World Russian People's Council threatens with legal prosecution to those who try to capture churches in Ukraine 26 February 2014, 12:12
- Moscow Patriarchate welcomes Metropolitan Onufry's election as head of Metropolitan Diocese in Kiev 26 February 2014, 10:01
- Metropolitan Onufry elected locum tenens of Kievan Metropolitan See 25 February 2014, 14:34
- Ukraine synagogue attacked 25 February 2014, 11:31
- Patriarch Kirill calls on Ukrainian authorities not to interfere in church affairs 24 February 2014, 17:53
- Patriarch Kirill prays for peace in Ukraine standing on his knees 24 February 2014, 16:57
- Tajik Islamists file lawsuit against special services, state-run television 21 February 2014, 16:03
- Requiem service for those killed in Ukraine held in the Kiev Laura of the Caves 21 February 2014, 10:54
- Renovation of Basilica of the Nativity in Bethlehem will cost 20 million 19 February 2014, 16:54