22 November 2006, 14:54
Moscow Patriarchate is against Constantinople’s attempts to intervene in other Orthodox Churches’ affairs
Moscow, November 22, Interfax - The Russian Orthodox Church denies that the Patriarchate of Constantinople can intervene in internal affairs of other Churches and urges to prevent division in the Orthodox world.
‘We deny the Patriarchate of Constantinople’s capacity to intervene in the jurisdiction of other Churches. This idea separates us from Rome at present,’ said the Chairman of the Moscow Patriarchate department for external church relations Metropolitan Kirill of Smolensk and Kaliningrad at the opening of the annual Radonezh festival of Orthodox films and TV programmes that took place in St. Nicholas’ church at the Tretyakov Gallery on Wednesday.
The Metropolitan remarked that the Orthodox Church is keeping its unity. The Patriarchate of Constantinople and the Russian Orthodox Church are in the eucharistic (liturgical) unity.
‘This unity must be preserved. One should not react to any provocations because of which this unity may be frustrated,’ he underscored.
According to Metropolitan Kirill, ‘the world would have looked differently,’ had Rome and Constantinople not divided in the 11th century.
‘We should prevent a division in the Orthodox world,’ the hierarch of the Russian Church underscored.
He remarked that an untraditional perception of the role and importance of the Patriarchate of Constantinople, ‘in no way connected with the canonical tradition of the Orthodox Church,’ began to develop in Constantinople in the early 20th century resulting in the split of Orthodoxy in the Baltic countries, Finland, Poland and within Russian emigration.
‘We do not think that the Patriarch of Constantinople is invested with powers as far as other local Orthodox Churches are concerned. We think there is no such a centre to which [the Orthodox Churches] can appeal. Only the Pan-Orthodox Council could play the part of this centre,’ Metropolitan Kirill said.
The Patriarchate of Constantinople has recently taken in its jurisdiction in violation of canonical rights the former administrator of the Sourozh diocese of the Russian Church Bishop Basil (Osborne) and supported schismatic groups in Ukraine.
- Two Israeli pilgrims injured in Uman blast 21 September 2017, 18:25
- Even grassroots anti-Semitism is minimal in Russia – FJCR 21 September 2017, 18:00
- Christian State - Holy Russia leader detained again 21 September 2017, 16:38
- Uman State Council MP 'taxes a tribute' on trade points for Hassids - Ukraine Security Service 21 September 2017, 15:54
- Four detained over car arson near office of Matilda film director's lawyer - Russian Interior Ministry 21 September 2017, 15:48
- Christian State leader released after interrogation over car arson near office of Uchitel's lawyer 21 September 2017, 14:16
- Putin thanks Russian Jewish community leaders for defending historical truth 21 September 2017, 10:00
- Leader of Christian State Kalinin may be prosecuted for fomenting hostility - police source 20 September 2017, 18:29
- Putin congratulates Jews on Jewish New Year 20 September 2017, 18:26
- Putin expects that Jewish community will promote religious tolerance in Russia 20 September 2017, 15:57
- Three people suspected of setting fire to cars outside office of Matilda director's lawyer detained 20 September 2017, 14:21
- Kazakhstan plans to set up own school of Islamic studies 19 September 2017, 10:12
- Blogger Sokolovsky's lawyer contests sentence in Sverdlovsk region court 18 September 2017, 14:15
- Navalny's volunteer gets 2 years for religious affiliation 18 September 2017, 14:13
- Kadyrov publishes address by Chechen man imprisoned in Iraq calling on Muslims not to join ISIL 18 September 2017, 11:29
- Turkish terrorists lived in house of Georgian patriarch for several months - Rustavi 2 18 September 2017, 10:00
- Tajikistan, Saudi Arabia decide to cooperate to promote tolerance, counterterrorism 15 September 2017, 11:54
- Russian police ready to curb provocations, ensure security of Matilda film viewers 14 September 2017, 17:21
- Umayyad Mosque in Syria's Aleppo to be restored with Kadyrov Fund money 13 September 2017, 11:52
- FJCR building in suspected Molotov cocktail attack 13 September 2017, 10:00
- Jehovah's Witnesses ask Supreme Court to reverse ruling declaring them extremists 12 September 2017, 16:55
- Victims of the 9/11 terrorist attacks commemorated in Moscow 12 September 2017, 12:04
- No more need for rallies supporting Myanmar Muslims – Kadyrov 11 September 2017, 10:33
- Over 100 people rallying in support for Myanmar's Muslims detained on Palace Square in St. Petersburg 11 September 2017, 10:06
- Erdogan urges Islamic countries to show determination in resolving Myanmar conflict 11 September 2017, 10:00
- Canada should be asked about reports on plans to take gays from Chechnya - Russian Foreign Ministry 08 September 2017, 13:48
- Pressure on Myanmar leadership only to escalate tensions - Russian Foreign Ministry 08 September 2017, 12:17
- Russian Orthodox Church warns Ukrainian president against meddling in Church's internal affairs 07 September 2017, 18:15
- Catholicos of All Armenians heading for Moscow to take part in Karabakh meeting 07 September 2017, 17:00
- Organizer of picket in defense of Rohingya offers to meet Myanmar ambassador to Russia 07 September 2017, 15:20