19 December 2006, 14:20
Catholics in Nizhniy Novgorod ask the Orthodox to send a priest for pastoral care of those who help Caritas
Moscow, December 19, Interfax - Russian Catholics have asked Archbishop Georgiy of Nizhniy Novgorod and Arzamas to send a Russian church priest to take pastoral care of the Orthodox who help Caritas, a Catholics charity.
This proposal was made by Archbishop Tadeuzs Kondrusiewizc, head of the Archdiocese of the Mother of God in Moscow, and Father Mario Beverati, rector of the Catholic parish in Nizhniy Novgorod, during their meeting on December 18 at the Orthodox Archbishop’s residence.
‘The proposal was heard out favourably and with understanding’, the press service of the Conference of Catholic Bishops in Russia has informed Interfax.
During the talk, which was held in a spirit of openness and mutual understanding, the sides admitted that an effective and mutually acceptable settlement of emerging issues and misunderstandings would promote further development of Catholic-Orthodox relations. The hierarchs expressed hope for cooperation in the future for the sake of the common goal which is the salvation of man and consolidation of society.
Archbishop Kondrusiewizc presented His Eminence Georgiy with recently published Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger’s (now Pope Benedict XVI) book Introduction to Christianity with a foreword by Metropolitan Kirill of Smolensk and Kaliningrad. The Orthodox hierarch, in his turn, presented the archbishop with an icon of the Mother of God, a book on the 100th anniversary of the canonization of St. Seraphim of Sarov and a volume on Nizhniy Novgorod School of iconography.
It turned out during the talk that both hierarchs were natives of Byelorussia. At parting they said goodbye in the Byelorussian language.
Archbishop Kondrusiewizc was on a pastoral visitation to Nizhniy Novgorod on December 16-18 on the occasion of the 10th anniversary of the beginning of services at the Parish of the Assumption.
- Patriarch Kirill calls on believers to refrain from visiting churches amid coronavirus pandemic 29 March 2020, 20:09
- Opera singer Svetlana Kasyan hospitalized with coronavirus 28 March 2020, 18:10
- Patriarch Kirill prays for the end of pandemic 28 March 2020, 17:58
- The Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia will give Pesach food sets to all parishioners 28 March 2020, 17:55
- Case of leader of Aum Shinrikyo group in Russia sent to prosecutor 26 March 2020, 19:27
- Belarusian Orthodox Church doesn't plan to cancel Easter processions 26 March 2020, 16:25
- Russian Orthodox Church shows understanding of Sobyanin's advice not to attend service but says churches will stay open 26 March 2020, 15:08
- Sobyanin asks Muscovites not to visit religious sites 26 March 2020, 10:49
- Ukrainian monasteries will assign premises for Covid-19 patients 25 March 2020, 19:24
- FJCR closes all its synagogues in Russia 25 March 2020, 15:49
- Monastery south of Moscow thrown away dozens of dogs, police was told they miraculously flew away 24 March 2020, 17:40
- Lukashenko on coronavirus: If we get through until Orthodox Easter, we'll live 24 March 2020, 14:40
- Kyrgyz missionary contracts Covid-19 in Pakistan - Kyrgyz Foreign Ministry 23 March 2020, 14:40
- Georgian churches to let in max. 10 people in state of emergency - premier 23 March 2020, 12:29
- Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia's council postponed due to coronavirus 20 March 2020, 19:52
- Rabbi beaten to death in Dagestan 20 March 2020, 19:12
- Friday prayers cancelled in Moscow's mosques 20 March 2020, 13:33
- Tajikistan lifts ban on joint prayers in mosques 19 March 2020, 19:02
- Russian Orthodox Church does not exclude usage of plastic spoons for Communion 18 March 2020, 16:43
- Chief rabbi of Russia closes his synagogue 18 March 2020, 14:12
- Russian Synod orders increased sanitary measures at all dioceses with coronavirus 18 March 2020, 10:40
- Cathedral of Christ the Savior receives bomb threat on Tue 18 March 2020, 10:38
- Russian Church introduces exceptional measures for coronavirus prevention 17 March 2020, 19:00
- Leader of Pentecostals considers coronavirus a sign of coming Apocalypse 17 March 2020, 14:46
- Moscow's stance on Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem deals with reinstatement of Russia's property rights - Russian Embassy in Israel 17 March 2020, 11:12
- Rectors of Moscow churches will help elderly parishioners to buy and deliver food to their homes 17 March 2020, 11:08
- Russian Orthodox Church won't abolish liturgies even if coronavirus spreads 17 March 2020, 11:05
- Russian Church urges not to panic because of coronavirus 17 March 2020, 11:03
- Moldova closes churches 13 March 2020, 19:56
- Russian Jews reject idea that coronavirus sign of world ending 13 March 2020, 16:22