22 January 2007, 17:01
Signatures to support rebuilding of the Monastery of the Passion Icon of the Mother of God in the Pushkin Sq handed over to the Moscow city administration
Moscow, January 22, Interfax - Signatures of more that 8,200 Moscow citizens who favoured rebuilding of the Monastery of the Passion Icon of the Mother of God in the Pushkin Sq were handed over to Moscow’s city administration and the Moscow Patriarchate on Monday, the representative of the monastery rebuilding action committee Oleg Kassin told Interfax.
‘The rebuilding of the monastery on its original site had been actively supported by many intelligentsia and culture workers, including representatives of Moscow theaters, the Writers’ Union of Russia, residents of neighbouring buildings, and many other Moscow citizens,’ Kassin said.
The project of reconstruction of the monastery upon its original basis still identifiable under the asphalt surface, which was designed by the architect Aida Melikhova, confronts another project, which includes construction of a shopping mall and a parking under the Pushkin Sq, he noted.
‘The shopping mall project takes absolutely no account to the fact that the monastery’s basis has wholly survived. So it looks like they will be building the mall upon monastic graves,’ Kassin said.
The dedication of the monastery was after the miraculous icon of the Mother of God called ‘the Passion Icon’ as it represented the Virgin Mary and the Babe Jesus with two angels holding the Instruments of Christ’s Passion. The monastery was founded in 18th century upon the site, where the Passion Icon was met after being brought to Russia’s capital from Nizhny Novgorod. It was closed in 1919 and made Central Anti-Religious Museum in the early 1929.
Eight years later the monastery’s structures were demolished.
- Extremism case opened against 5 members of Jehovah's Witnesses in Syktyvkar 04 March 2021, 13:15
- Putin orders Interior Ministry to prosecute provocateurs, suppress all manifestations of extremism 03 March 2021, 16:25
- Kremlin not commenting on end of discussion about monument on Lubyanskaya Square - Peskov 01 March 2021, 14:19
- Moscow Mayor Sobyanin proposes to leave Lubyanskaya Square as it is for now 26 February 2021, 22:42
- Acting leader of Abkhazian Diocese is member of Georgian Church - Georgian Patriarchate 26 February 2021, 17:44
- Search underway on premises of Sredneuralsky Convent 26 February 2021, 17:41
- Defrocked priest Sergy's pretrial detention extended until end of spring 26 February 2021, 10:00
- Armenian Apostolic Church urges politicians to start talks 25 February 2021, 15:04
- Omsk resident fined 375,000 rubles for excusing terror attack in New Zealand 25 February 2021, 11:48
- Yakutian shaman Gabyshev charged with violence against police officer 25 February 2021, 10:45
- Meeting between Russian patriarch, Pope doesn't improve Christians' position in Middle East contrary to expectations - Metropolitan Hilarion 24 February 2021, 10:00
- Muscovites will choose between monuments to Dzerzhinsky, Alexander Nevsky on Lubyanka Square 20 February 2021, 10:03
- Former schema-monk Sergy admits giving bribe amounting to 'millions of dollars' 18 February 2021, 16:30
- World Russian People's Council backs idea of Ivan III monument on Lubyanka Square in Moscow 18 February 2021, 16:11
- FJCR suggests reinstalling fountain at Lubyanka 18 February 2021, 15:30
- Suspected organizer of Jehovah's Witnesses cell in Russia's Kemerovo region placed under house arrest 17 February 2021, 14:11
- Police detain man who splashed Holocaust monument in Yerevan with paint 17 February 2021, 13:44
- The giant castle of corona cannibal to be burned in Russia on Maslenitsa 17 February 2021, 12:08
- Lawyers' association supports bill limiting surrogate motherhood in Russia 17 February 2021, 10:00
- FSB detain people suspected of financing ISIL under guise of donations to mosques in Crimea, Tatarstan 16 February 2021, 15:19
- World Union of Old Believers backs idea to place Ivan III monument on Moscow's Lubyanka Square 16 February 2021, 09:44
- Metropolitan Hilarion concerned by detention on non-participants in unsanctioned rallies 15 February 2021, 09:17
- Moscow court arrests 2 Jehovah's Witnesses 15 February 2021, 09:15
- Foreign Intelligence Service head compares those who insult WWII veterans to Nazi collaborators 12 February 2021, 11:53
- Congress of the Leaders of World and Traditional Religions in Kazakhstan postponed to next year 12 February 2021, 11:07
- Sputnik V vaccine halal - Gamaleya Center expert 12 February 2021, 10:03
- Court denies former schema hegumen Sergy right to participate in dispute over church on territory of Sredneuralsky Convent 10 February 2021, 20:39
- Several organizers of Jehovah's Witnesses cell detained in Moscow 10 February 2021, 11:43
- Resident of Russia's Dagestan jailed for 10 years for killing local rabbi 10 February 2021, 11:14
- Tajik authorities classify sentence of opposition Islamic party leader 09 February 2021, 17:35