22 January 2007, 17:01
Signatures to support rebuilding of the Monastery of the Passion Icon of the Mother of God in the Pushkin Sq handed over to the Moscow city administration
Moscow, January 22, Interfax - Signatures of more that 8,200 Moscow citizens who favoured rebuilding of the Monastery of the Passion Icon of the Mother of God in the Pushkin Sq were handed over to Moscow’s city administration and the Moscow Patriarchate on Monday, the representative of the monastery rebuilding action committee Oleg Kassin told Interfax.
‘The rebuilding of the monastery on its original site had been actively supported by many intelligentsia and culture workers, including representatives of Moscow theaters, the Writers’ Union of Russia, residents of neighbouring buildings, and many other Moscow citizens,’ Kassin said.
The project of reconstruction of the monastery upon its original basis still identifiable under the asphalt surface, which was designed by the architect Aida Melikhova, confronts another project, which includes construction of a shopping mall and a parking under the Pushkin Sq, he noted.
‘The shopping mall project takes absolutely no account to the fact that the monastery’s basis has wholly survived. So it looks like they will be building the mall upon monastic graves,’ Kassin said.
The dedication of the monastery was after the miraculous icon of the Mother of God called ‘the Passion Icon’ as it represented the Virgin Mary and the Babe Jesus with two angels holding the Instruments of Christ’s Passion. The monastery was founded in 18th century upon the site, where the Passion Icon was met after being brought to Russia’s capital from Nizhny Novgorod. It was closed in 1919 and made Central Anti-Religious Museum in the early 1929.
Eight years later the monastery’s structures were demolished.
- Parishioners of the "Russian exarchate" in Paris enthusiastic about joining the Russian Orthodox Church 16 September 2019, 17:45
- Return of 'Russian exarchate' became possible due to radical changes in Russian Church, Russia in general - Patriarch Kirill 16 September 2019, 16:26
- Russian Orthodox Church denies rumors that head of Russian Church Abroad is missing 16 September 2019, 16:25
- Israel condemns defacing of monument to Holocaust victims in Ukraine's Nikolaev Region, demands perpetrators be punished 16 September 2019, 13:20
- The Russian Church about return of “Russian exarchate” parishes under its jurisdiction: a long way is almost accomplished 14 September 2019, 21:29
- Head of "Russian exarchate" of Constantinople joins Russian Orthodox Church 14 September 2019, 18:44
- Imam Velitov, convicted for justification of terrorism, leaves colony in Astrakhan 13 September 2019, 16:52
- Ukrainian court freezes "Kiev Patriarchate" liquidation 12 September 2019, 20:25
- Priest Alexander Volkov dismissed from the post of patriarchal press secretary 12 September 2019, 20:22
- Orthodox Businessman Malofeyev to leave A Just Russia 6 months after joining it 12 September 2019, 17:23
- Common moral, ethical values of all religions in Russia ensure state stability of country - Putin 12 September 2019, 17:21
- Guilt of men charged with attempted murder of Imam Chumakov unproven - Ingushetia jury 11 September 2019, 10:53
- State Dept. announces sanctions against 2 high-ranking Surgut investigators over Jehovah's Witnesses case (updated) 10 September 2019, 18:48
- The Russian Church official call modern Russian men a "national tragedy" 09 September 2019, 11:56
- The Russian Church will accept communities of the "Russian exarchate" ready to join it 09 September 2019, 11:20
- Russian Orthodox Church to continue reunification consultations with "Russian exarchate" 09 September 2019, 11:00
- Russian Jews to unveil monument to Roma victims of Nazism 05 September 2019, 16:00
- Jerusalem Patriarch takes the side of Russian Church in the "Ukrainian question" 05 September 2019, 15:57
- Constantinople appoints head of "Russian exarchate" a metropolitan responsible for establishing new church in Ukraine 05 September 2019, 13:06
- "Russian exarchate" in Europe refused to subordinate to Constantinople 04 September 2019, 10:54
- Some 40,000 Hasidic pilgrims expected to attend Rosh Hashanah celebration in Ukraine 03 September 2019, 11:07
- ROC metropolitan denies Constantinople accusations of non-canonical actions of the Moscow Patriarchate in Southeast Asia 29 August 2019, 15:43
- World Union of Old Believers set up in Moscow 29 August 2019, 13:05
- Holocaust victims monument vandalized in southern Ukraine 28 August 2019, 16:58
- Monument to Ukrainian nationalists unveiled at Jewish cemetery in Lvov Region 26 August 2019, 19:45
- Poroshenko warns of ongoing attacks on Ukrainian army, language, faith 26 August 2019, 17:13
- Founder of Russian icon museum - among victims of helicopter crash in Greece 22 August 2019, 12:50
- Al-Assad asks for Russian language teachers in Syria to counter Western culture and Wahhabism - Russian MP 20 August 2019, 15:28
- Ukraine has made a great contribution to combating antisemitism - Netanyahu 19 August 2019, 18:19
- Ukrainian Autocephalous Orthodox Church ceases to exist 14 August 2019, 20:12