30 January 2007, 15:20
Darwinism’s strict settlement imposed on school must give way to the student’s right to choose a scientific worldview, a representative of the Russian Orthodox Church say
Moscow, January 30, Interfax - The vice-chairman of the Department for External Church Relations of the Moscow Patriarchate Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin supported children’s and their parents’ right to choose what interpretation of the origin of man and life on Earth to study in school.
‘Until now there has been the monopoly and strict settlement of Darwinism, which, though but a hypothesis, a theory of the origin of man and world, is presented today as an indisputable scientific truth,’ Fr. Vsevolod told the Ekho Moskvy radio broadcasting in his interview.
Many scientists think that in Darwin’s theory ‘there is pretty much strained argumentation’, and archaeological facts, which had been presented as ‘something unquestionable’ in Soviet textbooks are in reality ‘very much fragmentary’ and ‘can never provide a solid basis to prove that a biological species may evolve into another one.’
‘In any event, this theory has little evidence. So, insisting that it is a proven scientific truth is at least imprudent,’ the Moscow Patriarchate’s representative said, having also mentioned that Darwin’s theory had much ideology in it.
The schoolchildren and their parents should ‘enjoy their right to have their worldview taught in schools,’ he said.
It was a part of the international law that the school curriculum must be in keeping with the concrete family’s worldview, Fr. Vsevolod noted.
- Three religious extremists detained in Kazan 20 February 2020, 18:30
- Putin calls to halt any religious discord 20 February 2020, 13:25
- All Russian Orthodox Church parishes in Southeast Asia to pray for riddance of coronavirus 19 February 2020, 18:41
- Court arrests Moscow church attacker 18 February 2020, 19:27
- Investigators file for arrest of suspected assailant of Moscow churchgoers 18 February 2020, 12:18
- Man who attacked people in Moscow church says didn't plan crime, 'got up on wrong side of bed' 17 February 2020, 22:06
- Four members of banned pseudo-religious group convicted in Orenburg Region 17 February 2020, 18:38
- Georgian Church decides not to take part in pan-Orthodox meeting in Jordan 17 February 2020, 18:33
- Romanian Church to agree with granting of tomos to Orthodox Church in Ukraine, provided that Constantinople and Moscow reach consensus - media (updated) 14 February 2020, 21:11
- Karekin II grateful to Syria for recognizing Armenian genocide 14 February 2020, 18:08
- Pan-Orthodox meeting on 'Ukrainian issue' to be held in Amman on Feb 26 (updated) 14 February 2020, 15:08
- No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin (updated) 13 February 2020, 17:31
- Orthodox leaders to discuss 'Ukrainian issue' in Amman in late Feb (updated) 12 February 2020, 21:28
- CPRF doesn't mind mentioning God in Russian constitution 11 February 2020, 18:30
- Criminal case opened in Transbaikal Territory after searches of residences of suspected Jehovah's Witnesses 10 February 2020, 19:57
- A woman could head the Russian Church synodal department 10 February 2020, 12:34
- Russian Church proposes to designate the special role of Russians in Constitution 10 February 2020, 12:15
- Zelensky invites Pope to visit Ukraine 10 February 2020, 11:58
- Zelensky asks Pope to help with release of Ukrainians in custody in Russia, Donbass 10 February 2020, 11:55
- Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem working as usual, has no info on property handover 05 February 2020, 21:25
- Yakut shaman complains to ECHR 05 February 2020, 18:09
- OCU terminates Filaret's membership in Holy Synod 05 February 2020, 12:27
- Russian Orthodox Church could discontinue practice of blessing WMDs 04 February 2020, 21:05
- Enshrining 'traditional marriage' in constitution at bottom of working group's agenda 04 February 2020, 19:14
- Krasheninnikov against enshrining family, God in constitution 04 February 2020, 18:58
- Pompeo praises Uzbekistan for progress in upholding religious freedom 03 February 2020, 19:17
- Marriage, not family should be defined as union between man and woman in Russian Constitution - Russian Orthodox Church 03 February 2020, 18:04
- Working group to discuss appropriateness of mentioning God in Constitution – Kremlin 03 February 2020, 13:57
- Patriarch Kirill proposes mentioning God in Constitution 02 February 2020, 19:02
- Orthodox society active at Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem still has no info on property transfer to Russia 31 January 2020, 15:14