31 January 2007, 16:21
Constantinople’s acceptance of Bishop Basil Osborn a threat to inter-Orthodox peace - Archbishop Christodoulos
Moscow, January 31, Interfax - Archbishop Christodoulos of Athens and All Greece has deplored Constantinople’s decision to accept Bishop Basil Osborn in its jurisdiction.
In a reply to Patriarch Alexy II of Moscow and All Russia he expressed regret at emerging threats ‘to constructive cooperation between local ethnic diasporas in common efforts to sold burning pastoral problems’.
The archbishop noted that this situation ‘is fraught with violation of church order and troubles harmful first of all to the unity of holy Orthodox Churches’.
He also stressed the commitment of the Greek Orthodox Church ‘to the canonical tradition established through long church practice’.
The primate of the Greek Church believes ‘the meeting of burning pastoral needs and prevention of a dangerous divisive situation from developing in the Orthodox diaspora could be facilitated by proposals worked out by the Inter-Orthodox Preparatory Commission for a Holy and Great Council at its meetings in 1990 and 1993.
Archbishop Christodoulos cited the following proposal of the commission: ‘Orthodox Churches pledge to avoid any action which can affect a canonical settlement of the problem of diaspora including the establishment of new dioceses in the diaspora alongside the already existing ones’.
Despite the proposal made by the Inter-Orthodox Preparatory Commission in 1993, the Church of Constantinople has since established the following sees: Toronto 1996, Buenos Aires 1996, Gong Kong 1996, Panama 1996, Spain and Portugal 2003, Korea 2004, recalls the official website of the Moscow Patriarchate.
- Patriarch Kirill grants request to retire of Metropolitan Juvenaly 14 April 2021, 18:12
- Influx of migrants contributing to emergence of hotbeds of interfaith tensions in Crimea - Patrushev 14 April 2021, 17:25
- Jehovah's Witnesses cell busted in Russia's Tula 14 April 2021, 12:21
- Yekaterinburg Diocese says nuns, lay sisters from closed Sredneuralsky Convent may choose any of its convents 14 April 2021, 10:51
- Nuns leaving Sredneuralsky Convent, diocese reps sealing off premises 14 April 2021, 10:46
- Court orders residents of Sredneuralsky Convent to leave its premises 14 April 2021, 10:40
- Russian FM speaks of important global role of Russian Orthodox Church, supports its initiatives 08 April 2021, 18:02
- Court of appeals declines to soften sentence given to leader of Aum Shinrikyo's Russian cell 08 April 2021, 10:00
- Russian man charged with organizing erotic photo shoot in UAE facing at least 6 months in prison 05 April 2021, 18:16
- Moscow court keeps former Urals schema monk Sergy in custody 05 April 2021, 17:55
- Presumed supporter of Ukrainian nationalists detained in Barnaul confesses to plotting to blow up mosque – FSB 02 April 2021, 17:53
- The FJCR official calls "the oldest manuscript" of Torah a fake 02 April 2021, 10:00
- St. Petersburg court bans mobile app of Jehovah's Witnesses in Russia 01 April 2021, 10:00
- Serial destroyer of angel sculptures detained in St. Petersburg 31 March 2021, 13:31
- Abortions in Russia dropped almost 40% over past 5 years 31 March 2021, 10:00
- Putin pledges to prevent foreign interethnic conflicts from spilling over into Russia 30 March 2021, 16:01
- Polarized opinions on acceptability of in vitro fertilization observed in Russian Orthodox Church 30 March 2021, 10:00
- Russian Jews launch a project Be free through vaccination 26 March 2021, 11:28
- Patriarch Kirill stresses importance of ensuring life without upheavals at memorial service on 220th anniversary of Emperor Pavel I's murder 25 March 2021, 10:00
- Jewish publishing house refuses to participate in a book fair as it falls on Passover 23 March 2021, 18:53
- Islamic radicals intensifying activity in Urals due to uncontrolled immigration - Patrushev 23 March 2021, 17:51
- Security Council secretary calls West's aspiration to push its norms, ideals, reforms on Russia dangerous 23 March 2021, 17:13
- A Muslim woman from the Moscow Region searches for a second wife for her husband 22 March 2021, 16:45
- Pashinyan believes revolution in Armenia was based on Christian values 22 March 2021, 13:55
- FBK lawyer Sobol attends church service in violation of conditions of her house arrest 22 March 2021, 10:00
- Yakut shaman Gabyshev found insane 19 March 2021, 13:57
- Memorial to Holocaust victims unveiled at Israeli embassy in Moscow 18 March 2021, 09:31
- Resident of St. Petersburg beats a muscovite to death as he took him for devilry 16 March 2021, 18:55
- Moscow Jewish museum organizes an exhibition about the Holocaust in PACE 16 March 2021, 14:28
- One in 8 Russians plan to observe Lent this year - poll 16 March 2021, 10:00