31 January 2007, 16:21
Constantinople’s acceptance of Bishop Basil Osborn a threat to inter-Orthodox peace - Archbishop Christodoulos
Moscow, January 31, Interfax - Archbishop Christodoulos of Athens and All Greece has deplored Constantinople’s decision to accept Bishop Basil Osborn in its jurisdiction.
In a reply to Patriarch Alexy II of Moscow and All Russia he expressed regret at emerging threats ‘to constructive cooperation between local ethnic diasporas in common efforts to sold burning pastoral problems’.
The archbishop noted that this situation ‘is fraught with violation of church order and troubles harmful first of all to the unity of holy Orthodox Churches’.
He also stressed the commitment of the Greek Orthodox Church ‘to the canonical tradition established through long church practice’.
The primate of the Greek Church believes ‘the meeting of burning pastoral needs and prevention of a dangerous divisive situation from developing in the Orthodox diaspora could be facilitated by proposals worked out by the Inter-Orthodox Preparatory Commission for a Holy and Great Council at its meetings in 1990 and 1993.
Archbishop Christodoulos cited the following proposal of the commission: ‘Orthodox Churches pledge to avoid any action which can affect a canonical settlement of the problem of diaspora including the establishment of new dioceses in the diaspora alongside the already existing ones’.
Despite the proposal made by the Inter-Orthodox Preparatory Commission in 1993, the Church of Constantinople has since established the following sees: Toronto 1996, Buenos Aires 1996, Gong Kong 1996, Panama 1996, Spain and Portugal 2003, Korea 2004, recalls the official website of the Moscow Patriarchate.
- Over 100 tons of matzo produced in Russia on the eve of Passover 18 April 2019, 18:02
- Patriarch Kirill sends condolences over the fire at Notre Dame Cathedral 18 April 2019, 13:30
- Bortnikov warns about 1,500 trained Islamist terrorists returning to Europe 18 April 2019, 13:21
- FSB director says concerned about anti-Islamic terrorism, psycho killers 18 April 2019, 11:36
- Russian Church about Notre Dame fire: the world will never be the same 17 April 2019, 11:19
- Kremlin announces readiness to send Russian specialists to help restore Notre Dame in Paris 16 April 2019, 12:32
- Parishioners return to the restored Armenian church in Aleppo 16 April 2019, 12:06
- Russian Culture Ministry to propose organizing fundraiser to help restore Paris' Notre Dame 16 April 2019, 12:02
- Putin offers sympathy over Notre Dame Cathedral fire, offers sending best Russian specialists to Paris – Kremlin 16 April 2019, 12:00
- Russian Orthodox priest believes "real men" exist only in the Special Forces 15 April 2019, 17:40
- Lavrov, Patriarch Kirill discuss church crisis in Ukraine, Christian presence in Middle East 15 April 2019, 10:51
- Peter the Great's charter by which he appoints Metropolitan of Kiev delivered to Ukraine from Germany 15 April 2019, 10:50
- Crosses dismantled in Kuropaty have nothing to do with perpetuation of memory of Stalinist-era victims - Belarusian Ministry of Forestry 12 April 2019, 09:15
- Tajik court sentences former functionary of prohibited Islamic party to 15 years in prison 10 April 2019, 14:19
- Passover to prevent Jews from voting on April 21 "before star-rise" - Ukraine's chief rabbi 09 April 2019, 19:05
- Kiev court finds involuntary renaming of canonical Ukrainian Orthodox Church to be unlawful 08 April 2019, 10:56
- Synod conducts rotation of Patriarch Kirill's vicars 05 April 2019, 15:44
- Beautification works, dismantling of illegally erected crosses underway at Kuropaty 05 April 2019, 10:47
- Rabbi Lazar thanks Putin for his help in returning home Israeli soldier's remnants 04 April 2019, 19:01
- Head of OCU congratulates NATO on anniversary, calls to protect freedom from evil together 04 April 2019, 15:33
- Religious communities in Russia begin joint efforts for restoring schools in Syria 04 April 2019, 10:59
- Ukraine's new church fears possibility of tomos revocation 04 April 2019, 10:26
- 750,000 abortions performed in Russia annually, only one-fifth for medical reasons 03 April 2019, 14:29
- Russian Church calls on OSCE to boost religious freedom monitoring in Ukraine 03 April 2019, 12:25
- Karabakh settlement process cannot be one-way road - Catholicos of All Armenians 03 April 2019, 12:19
- ECHR to consider case of discrimination against UOC community in Rovno Region 01 April 2019, 18:18
- Leader of Russia's Jewish community outraged with new Rammstein video 29 March 2019, 18:28
- Kiev court to consider Church's name change lawsuit against Culture Ministry 29 March 2019, 18:22
- Kremlin follows St. Isaac's Cathedral situation, but refrains from comment 29 March 2019, 14:36
- Crimea's Muslim board urges local Muslims not to get in touch with sect members 29 March 2019, 11:03