07 March 2007, 12:49
Mass media monitoring: interview of Metropolitan Kirill of Smolensk and Kaliningrad for Greek Newspaper ‘Vima’
- Last year the Department for External Church Relations celebrated its 60th anniversary. You are its coeval. What was the most difficult and painful decision that had to be made over these years?
- The Department for External Church Relations was established in 1946. At that time full-scale external relations of the Russian Orthodox Church were impossible, it was necessary first to reestablish relations with the Russian emigration, other Local Churches, to create a small chancellery, which could develop daily relations between the Church and State structures.
The basis of the modern full-scale and multi-sided activity was laid by the founder of the Department Metropolitan Nikolai (Yarushevich) and his successor Metropolitan Nikodim (Rotov). They created the Department which subsequently faced a hard task of developing relations between the Church and the State, the Church and the Society, interfaith and inter-confessional ties during the collapse of the Soviet Union, destruction of stable social connections, during the period of breaks and divisions.
It is rather hard to say which decisions were the most painful. There always were a lot of them. The main task of the Department has always been to provide adequate participation of the Church in public life, to keep voice of Orthodoxy heard in Russia and the whole world, so that the Russian Orthodox Church, no matter what the historical circumstances are, accomplishes her main mission – saving people.
- At the end of November Pope Benedict XVI visited the Ecumenical Patriarchate. Do you consider the Pope’s visit to Moscow possible?
- First of all I would like to remind that even when the relations between the Russian Orthodox and the Roman Catholic Churches were most complicated, we never excluded the possibility of the Pope’s visit to Russia or his meeting with His Holiness Alexy, Patriarch of Moscow and All Russia somewhere else. But it is our conviction that this historical event should testify positive tendency in relations between our Churches. It could be reached only if several concrete problems that exist between us are solved – missionary activity of Catholics in Russia and other CIS countries and conflict between Orthodox and Greek Catholic believers in Ukraine. I am sure that the basis for the improvement of our relations can be the closeness of our Churches’ positions on such problems as morality, bioethics, protection of tradition Christian values.
- There was information that you interfered in the situation with the Monastery of Esphigmen, demanding that the Ecumenical Patriarch does not permit the expulsion of the brethren, settled down in the monastery. What exactly did you demand from the Ecumenical Patriarch and what would be your answer to those, who accused you of interfering in the internal affairs of the Holy Mountain, which is under the jurisdiction of Patriarch Bartholomew?
- In this case you are obviously mentioning the distorted account of the events which took place four years ago. As you remember, in 2003 the conflict around the monastery of Esphigmen in Athos sharpened. The press reported that one of the monks died during the attempt to penetrate into the blocked convent, different dates of the assault were sounded. The further escalation of the conflict could cause new victims, which we consider intolerable at this holy place. We shared our concern with the Church of Constantinople. We did not demand anything. It becomes obvious if you see the address, published on the official site of the Russian Orthodox Church. Quite the opposite, we stated that our Church respects the jurisdiction of the Constantinople See and has no intention to interfere in the events on the Holy Mountain.
February 25, 2007
- Salekhard administration bans gay pride parade on Polar Circle 20 January 2017, 11:53
- Divers discover a Douglas and three air bombs of World War II when preparing to Epiphany bathing in the Black Sea 20 January 2017, 11:37
- Project of the Moscow Tolerance Center to 2018 World Cup presented in Davos 20 January 2017, 11:05
- Churches belonging to Moscow Patriarchate in Ukraine attacked 13 times over past year 19 January 2017, 15:45
- Arctic Ocean sanctified in northern Yakutia in Epiphany night 19 January 2017, 11:52
- Over 1.8 mln people took part in Epiphany bathing in Russia 19 January 2017, 11:24
- Russian Orthodox Church clergy to sanctify waters of two oceans for Epiphany 18 January 2017, 18:12
- Hajj quota enlarged by more than third for Uzbek Muslims 18 January 2017, 13:07
- Arc containing relics of saints who died for faith under Soviets to be carried across Russia to mark 100th anniversary of October Revolution 18 January 2017, 13:06
- Patriarch Kirill caught cold and won't participate in Epiphany celebrations 17 January 2017, 18:56
- Russian Orthodox Church will actively participate in restoring Syrian shrines 17 January 2017, 15:46
- FJCR outraged by televiewers' vote, who called ISIL supporter "Person of the Week" 16 January 2017, 18:11
- Moscow Patriarchate church in Kiev pelted with Molotov cocktails 16 January 2017, 15:29
- Russian Orthodox Church Outside Russia head to take pilgrimage to Russia on occasion of 100th anniversary of October Revolution 11 January 2017, 16:35
- Abortions banned for one day in the Yaroslavl Region to commemorate the Bethlehem babies 11 January 2017, 15:35
- Patriarch Kirill invited to Syria 09 January 2017, 16:36
- Azerbaijan has no plans to join Islamic military bloc so far 09 January 2017, 14:41
- Patriarch Kirill to visit Hungary 09 January 2017, 10:57
- Putin's Christmas message notes Russian Orthodox Church's role in preserving civil peace, accord 09 January 2017, 10:50
- Lenin should be buried, but the most important is not to inflict harm, the Russian church official believes 06 January 2017, 16:22
- Church will release results of the Yekaterinburg relics expertise by the second quarter of 2017 06 January 2017, 16:20
- Moscow Center of Tolerance carries out international children action to back up migrants 06 January 2017, 15:54
- Rabbi Lazar condemns Soviet past, calls to bury body of Lenin 06 January 2017, 15:53
- Two Israelis suspected of intentionally damaging Jesus on Cross statue in Ukraine's Uman 03 January 2017, 21:30
- The Russian Church suggests fining for abusive language in public places 30 December 2016, 14:44
- Patriarch Kirill believes the word 'celebrations' inappropriate to 100th anniversary of October revolt 30 December 2016, 13:00
- Changes that took place in 2016 withdrew a threat menacing the world - Patriarch Kirill 30 December 2016, 12:24
- Doctors recommend the Georgian Patriarch to go to Germany for treatment, but he refuses 29 December 2016, 19:05
- Ukrainian government promotes interests of sexual minorities in spite of church protests 29 December 2016, 17:14
- Rabbi Lazar makes offer to Putin to set up tolerance centers in other Russian cities along with Moscow 28 December 2016, 18:48