07 March 2007, 12:49
Mass media monitoring: interview of Metropolitan Kirill of Smolensk and Kaliningrad for Greek Newspaper ‘Vima’
- Last year the Department for External Church Relations celebrated its 60th anniversary. You are its coeval. What was the most difficult and painful decision that had to be made over these years?
- The Department for External Church Relations was established in 1946. At that time full-scale external relations of the Russian Orthodox Church were impossible, it was necessary first to reestablish relations with the Russian emigration, other Local Churches, to create a small chancellery, which could develop daily relations between the Church and State structures.
The basis of the modern full-scale and multi-sided activity was laid by the founder of the Department Metropolitan Nikolai (Yarushevich) and his successor Metropolitan Nikodim (Rotov). They created the Department which subsequently faced a hard task of developing relations between the Church and the State, the Church and the Society, interfaith and inter-confessional ties during the collapse of the Soviet Union, destruction of stable social connections, during the period of breaks and divisions.
It is rather hard to say which decisions were the most painful. There always were a lot of them. The main task of the Department has always been to provide adequate participation of the Church in public life, to keep voice of Orthodoxy heard in Russia and the whole world, so that the Russian Orthodox Church, no matter what the historical circumstances are, accomplishes her main mission – saving people.
- At the end of November Pope Benedict XVI visited the Ecumenical Patriarchate. Do you consider the Pope’s visit to Moscow possible?
- First of all I would like to remind that even when the relations between the Russian Orthodox and the Roman Catholic Churches were most complicated, we never excluded the possibility of the Pope’s visit to Russia or his meeting with His Holiness Alexy, Patriarch of Moscow and All Russia somewhere else. But it is our conviction that this historical event should testify positive tendency in relations between our Churches. It could be reached only if several concrete problems that exist between us are solved – missionary activity of Catholics in Russia and other CIS countries and conflict between Orthodox and Greek Catholic believers in Ukraine. I am sure that the basis for the improvement of our relations can be the closeness of our Churches’ positions on such problems as morality, bioethics, protection of tradition Christian values.
- There was information that you interfered in the situation with the Monastery of Esphigmen, demanding that the Ecumenical Patriarch does not permit the expulsion of the brethren, settled down in the monastery. What exactly did you demand from the Ecumenical Patriarch and what would be your answer to those, who accused you of interfering in the internal affairs of the Holy Mountain, which is under the jurisdiction of Patriarch Bartholomew?
- In this case you are obviously mentioning the distorted account of the events which took place four years ago. As you remember, in 2003 the conflict around the monastery of Esphigmen in Athos sharpened. The press reported that one of the monks died during the attempt to penetrate into the blocked convent, different dates of the assault were sounded. The further escalation of the conflict could cause new victims, which we consider intolerable at this holy place. We shared our concern with the Church of Constantinople. We did not demand anything. It becomes obvious if you see the address, published on the official site of the Russian Orthodox Church. Quite the opposite, we stated that our Church respects the jurisdiction of the Constantinople See and has no intention to interfere in the events on the Holy Mountain.
February 25, 2007
- Pope Francis arrives in Havana to meet with Patriarch Kirill 12 February 2016, 22:12
- Patriarch Kirill arrives at Havana airport to meet with Pope Francis 12 February 2016, 21:45
- Patriarch Kirill hopeful about upcoming meeting with Pope (updated) 12 February 2016, 19:08
- DPR court hands down first death sentence 12 February 2016, 16:36
- Patriarch Kirill arrives in Cuba for meeting with Pope Francis 12 February 2016, 10:27
- Four Hizb ut-Tahrir members arrested in Crimea 12 February 2016, 10:00
- Pope's superiority as recognized by Catholics not to affect protocol of his meeting with Patriarch Kirill - organizer 11 February 2016, 17:42
- Catholics of Russia praying for success of meeting between patriarch and pope 11 February 2016, 15:08
- Patriarch Kirill and Pope Francis agree upon joint declaration (updated) 11 February 2016, 15:05
- Russian Foreign Ministry welcomes upcoming meeting between Patriarch Kirill, Pope Francis (updated) 11 February 2016, 13:57
- Abkhazia has become the third European country with full ban on abortions 11 February 2016, 11:45
- Meeting of Patriarch Kirill and Pope Francis to continue for three hours 11 February 2016, 10:29
- New film about Griboyedov proves not 'outraged Muslim crowd' killed him, Mikhalkov says 10 February 2016, 19:40
- Russian govt not involved in preparing Patriarch-Pope meeting - spokesman 10 February 2016, 10:03
- Russian and Coptic churches support restoration of air contacts between Russia and Egypt 09 February 2016, 17:48
- Abortion ban law adopted in Abkhazia 09 February 2016, 14:42
- Former Yukos shareholders' attempts to claim title to Paris land plot challenged at court - Russian Embassy 09 February 2016, 10:40
- The Russian Church official considers symbolic that the patriarch meets with the pope 'at a crossroad' 09 February 2016, 10:03
- Church dismisses as "hoax" reports about seizure of church construction site in Paris 08 February 2016, 17:37
- Russian diplomats checking reports of Russia's Paris property seizure in Yukos lawsuit 08 February 2016, 17:17
- Patriarch, pope meeting 'a mutual step halfway' between Russia, Western world – Peskov 08 February 2016, 13:17
- Seven ISIL members preparing terror attacks in Moscow, St. Petersburg detained in Yekaterinburg 08 February 2016, 12:54
- Tajikistan's mutiny participants, leaders of outlawed Islamic Renaissance Party to face court 08 February 2016, 12:44
- Georgian Patriarchate asks to provide security to human rights activist from LGBT community 08 February 2016, 10:03
- Patriarch-pope meeting to benefit Christians in Islamic countries - mufti Tajuddin 08 February 2016, 10:02
- Rabbi Kogan blesses the patriarch-pope meeting 08 February 2016, 10:01
- Delaying patriarch-pope meeting "no longer possible" - Russian Orthodox Church 08 February 2016, 10:00
- Meeting between pope, patriarch of Moscow to mark new stage in relations between two Churches - joint statement 05 February 2016, 20:59
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church criticizes Ukraine's Foreign Ministry 05 February 2016, 17:47
- OSCE mission investigate the situation around the church in Ukrainian village of Ptichya 05 February 2016, 16:46