15 March 2007, 00:04
Russia will assist in dialogue between Russian Orthodox Church, Catholic Church - Putin
Bari, March 15, Interfax - The Russian authorities will help to develop a dialogue between the Russian Orthodox Church and the Catholic Church, Russian President Vladimir Putin said.
"We, on our side, will do everything we can to help this interchurch dialogue," he said at a press conference after a Russian-Italian summit.
Putin noted that in Russia the church is separated from the state but he is aware of the willingness of the head of the Russian Orthodox Church Patriarch Alexy II to develop friendly and close relations with the Roman Catholic Church.
He also spoke of his meeting at the Vatican with Pope Benedict XVI.
"We had a broad dialogue mainly on international problems related to the settlement of crises around the world. Part of the conversation dealt with general human values and the interaction between the Holy See and the Russian Orthodox Church," Putin said.
In turn Italian Prime Minister Romano Prodi in connection with Putin's visit to Bari voiced hope that a place would appear in the future for active meetings giving an impetus to a closer dialogue between the Orthodox and Roman Catholic Churches.
Approaches have appeared that can be called the beginning of deepening, the discussion of mutual problems, he said. In his opinion, it is essential for the future that Bari regain its status as a place of worship for Orthodox Christians.
He acknowledged that the dialogue between the Orthodox and Roman Catholic Churches has been complex with many past disputes obstructing the restoration of the dialogue and its advancement.
- Most of the priests from Africa who joined the Russian Church have already received the right from Moscow to celebrate the liturgy 27 January 2022, 17:07
- Candles lit in Moscow in memory of the Holocaust victims 27 January 2022, 17:00
- Supporters of caliphate are among those detained in Kazakhstan during the January riots 27 January 2022, 16:53
- Holocaust Remembrance Day reinstated at Russian schools 27 January 2022, 10:16
- Russian Church reports a daily increase in the number of its parishes in Africa 26 January 2022, 10:12
- Russian delegation to PACE rejects accusations that LGBT people harassed in Chechnya 25 January 2022, 14:43
- Russian Church tightens coronavirus-related restrictions at Moscow churches 24 January 2022, 17:11
- House of Romanov hails Russian Orthodox Church's plans to recognize authenticity of 'Yekaterinburg remains' 24 January 2022, 10:03
- Nothing hinders recognition of authenticity of royal family's remains - Russian Orthodox Church member 24 January 2022, 10:00
- Christmas parliamentary meetings postponed indefinitely due to coronavirus situation 21 January 2022, 17:53
- Former Metropolitan Vladimir of St. Petersburg died at the age of 92 19 January 2022, 20:35
- Putin didn't take Epiphany ice plunge this year 19 January 2022, 13:35
- State Duma passes bill on life sentence for pedophiles 18 January 2022, 18:18
- Anti-Semitism is on the rise in Germany - Deputy Ambassador 18 January 2022, 18:16
- The head of Yakutia took part in Epiphany bathing in a 40-degree frost 18 January 2022, 18:10
- Patriarch Kirill admitted that part of the world Orthodoxy will go into schism 18 January 2022, 18:05
- Death penalty impossible in Russia - State Duma committee head 12 January 2022, 15:46
- Russian Orthodox Church works out a program of comprehensive presence in Africa 12 January 2022, 15:01
- Kazakh president urges preventing merger of criminality, religious extremism 11 January 2022, 11:38
- Russian Orthodox Church against lifting moratorium on death penalty 08 January 2022, 19:27
- Patriarch Kirill hopes Covid-19 pandemic will be over 07 January 2022, 19:28
- Patriarch Kirill prays for peace in Kazakhstan at Christmas service 07 January 2022, 19:26
- Patriarch Kirill concerned about the shortsightedness of politicians who speak to Russia from a position of strength 07 January 2022, 12:59
- Putin notes moral significance of Christmas 07 January 2022, 10:25
- Russian Orthodox Church sets up Patriarchal Exarchate of Africa 30 December 2021, 10:00
- Russian Church admits over 100 Patriarchate of Alexandria clerics as its members (updated) 29 December 2021, 17:56
- Russian govt orders monitoring of violations of citizens' rights along ethnic, religious lines 29 December 2021, 12:23
- Russian Church considers the long-term isolation of criminals no less effective than death penalty 29 December 2021, 11:30
- Russia not to reinstate death penalty in coming years - Presidential Human Rights Council member 29 December 2021, 11:14
- Group for protection of Christian values created at State Duma 29 December 2021, 11:12