23 March 2007, 12:24
Orthodox public concerned for actions by radical youth organizations at Moscow University Department of Sociology
Moscow, March 23, Interfax - The Union of Orthodox Citizens has expressed concern over the attempts of several radical youth groups to destabilize the situation at the Moscow State University’s Department of Sociology.
The statement circulated by the Union on Friday says that activists of some youth organizations including MSU students, acting under a non-formal structure called OD-Group, have sought a dismissal of the department’s leaders and conducted ‘extremist propaganda’ at the university and ‘a biased PR-campaign in the mass media aimed to damage MSU’s reputation and to bring about ‘a socio-political destabilization among the Russian young intellectuals’.
‘It is no doubt that standing behind the actions of the radical youth and Department of Sociology’s students recruited by them are serious forces eager to bring about ‘an orange revolution’ in the main Russian university in advance of parliamentary and presidential election in the country’, the authors of the statement note.
MSU Department of Sociology, according to the Union of Orthodox Citizens, has been chosen as a base for encouraging opposition sentiments in the student body.
The ideology of the OD-Group, the Union states, ‘is unequivocally hostile to the Orthodox Church’ and has as its aim ‘to squeeze out the Orthodox nation-oriented ideology from MSU, to undermine the emerging scientific relations between the university and major theological colleges in Russia and to spread the aggressive-secular liberal thinking under the guise of scientific secularism and objectivism’.
‘The orange revolution’ carried out before our very eyes by the OD-Group ideologies at the Department of Sociology threatens both the prospects for the intellectual cooperation between secular scholarship and theology and the consolidation of practical relations between Moscow State University and the Russian Orthodox Church’, the statement reads.
Its authors maintain in particular that the Orthodox-patriotic stand taken by the department’s leaders and the cooperation with the Russian Orthodox Church have sickened the opposition students who use in their protests ‘a whole set of trite liberal cliches’ and accuse the dean’s office of ‘clericalization of the situation’ and of ‘reactionary propaganda’ at the department.
As an alternative to Orthodox conservatism and relations with the Orthodox Church the opposition have proposed a pro-active support for sexual minorities, the Union of Orthodox Citizens notes.
The statement refers in particular to the activists of the so-called United Civic Green Alternative (GROZA) who have distributed anti-Orthodox leaflets at the department and who, last May, ‘assaulted the Moscow police in an attempt to defend the gay pride parade, which had been forbidden by the authorities, and ‘the violated dignity of Russian gays’.
‘According to GROZA and the OD-Group, the Orthodox propaganda at Moscow University should be replaced by propaganda of gay culture. Is the MSU scientific community ready to accept this alternative proposed in fact by those of the OD-Group?’ the authors of the documents ask.
The Union of Orthodox Citizens has appealed to the state and church authorities as well as the academic and ecclesiastical scholarly community in Russia and the patriotic public ‘to rise in opposition to the subversive activity carried out by the youth OD-Group at the Department of Sociology and those standing behind them as presenting a potential threat not only to the stability and possibility of scientific work at MSU but also to the national interests of the country’.
- Website of Russian Dept for External Church Relations hacked 20 October 2021, 18:07
- The Internet is able to cross out everything that the school gives - Patriarch Kirill 20 October 2021, 10:04
- Five supporters of the caliphate were detained in Karachay-Cherkessia 20 October 2021, 10:00
- School student detained for shooting in Perm Territory shouted that he was guided by the 'God's instructions' 18 October 2021, 12:34
- Patriarch Kirill's meeting with Pope not under preparation yet - Metropolitan Hilarion 18 October 2021, 10:19
- Russian Church Bishops' Council postponed until May 2022 due to coronavirus 15 October 2021, 18:20
- Patriarch Kirill considered the preservation of Russia after the twists and turns of the 20th century a miracle 14 October 2021, 17:29
- War in Nagorno-Karabakh in fall 2020 didn't solve conflict - Catholicos of All Armenians 13 October 2021, 19:21
- Patriarch Kirill calls on Azerbaijan, Armenia to avoid language of hatred 13 October 2021, 19:19
- Patriarch Kirill hopes Armenia, Azerbaijan religious leaders can influence minds of conflicting parties in Karabakh 13 October 2021, 14:16
- Religious summit on Karabakh settlement is on in Moscow 13 October 2021, 13:57
- Taliban govt's recognition to depend on situation surrounding Afghan women's rights – Matviyenko 12 October 2021, 19:22
- Vatican to open embassy in Armenia 12 October 2021, 10:00
- Religious leaders of Armenia, Azerbaijan, Russia to meet in Moscow 11 October 2021, 12:39
- Rabbi Lazar wishes Putin to live up to 120 years 08 October 2021, 15:10
- Court in St. Petersburg fines man for justifying terror attack in New Zealand 08 October 2021, 14:54
- Catholicos-Patriarch of Georgia asks Saakashvili to stop hunger strike 07 October 2021, 19:17
- Twice as many people killed in Babi Yar massacre than named at Nuremberg Trials – Zelensky 07 October 2021, 10:44
- House of Romanov says military's attendance at wedding ceremony in St. Petersburg agreed upon 07 October 2021, 10:00
- Risks of creation of new terrorist caliphates declining worldwide - Russian Security Council 06 October 2021, 18:27
- Office of Iranian Supreme Leader's representative in Baku mosque closed 06 October 2021, 12:21
- Names of first 159 Nazi soldiers who killed Jews in Babi Yar in 1941 made public 06 October 2021, 12:10
- A cell of the caliphate's supporters has been liquidated in Moscow and the Moscow Region 04 October 2021, 10:20
- America's L. Ron Hubbard Library, WISE Int. added to Russian register of undesirable organizations 04 October 2021, 10:16
- Romanov, Bettarini tie knot at St. Isaac's Cathedral 01 October 2021, 19:19
- Putin not planning to attend wedding of heir to Romanovs – Peskov 01 October 2021, 15:23
- Jewish Film Festival in Moscow dedicated to the 80th anniversary of the beginning of the Babi Yar shootings 01 October 2021, 09:03
- A blogger who took a provocative photo at St. Basil's Cathedral detained in Moscow 01 October 2021, 08:53
- Investigators charge former Ural schema-hegumen with fanning hatred 30 September 2021, 10:32
- Belarus intends to hold separate referendum on death penalty 28 September 2021, 20:09