23 March 2007, 12:24
Orthodox public concerned for actions by radical youth organizations at Moscow University Department of Sociology
Moscow, March 23, Interfax - The Union of Orthodox Citizens has expressed concern over the attempts of several radical youth groups to destabilize the situation at the Moscow State University’s Department of Sociology.
The statement circulated by the Union on Friday says that activists of some youth organizations including MSU students, acting under a non-formal structure called OD-Group, have sought a dismissal of the department’s leaders and conducted ‘extremist propaganda’ at the university and ‘a biased PR-campaign in the mass media aimed to damage MSU’s reputation and to bring about ‘a socio-political destabilization among the Russian young intellectuals’.
‘It is no doubt that standing behind the actions of the radical youth and Department of Sociology’s students recruited by them are serious forces eager to bring about ‘an orange revolution’ in the main Russian university in advance of parliamentary and presidential election in the country’, the authors of the statement note.
MSU Department of Sociology, according to the Union of Orthodox Citizens, has been chosen as a base for encouraging opposition sentiments in the student body.
The ideology of the OD-Group, the Union states, ‘is unequivocally hostile to the Orthodox Church’ and has as its aim ‘to squeeze out the Orthodox nation-oriented ideology from MSU, to undermine the emerging scientific relations between the university and major theological colleges in Russia and to spread the aggressive-secular liberal thinking under the guise of scientific secularism and objectivism’.
‘The orange revolution’ carried out before our very eyes by the OD-Group ideologies at the Department of Sociology threatens both the prospects for the intellectual cooperation between secular scholarship and theology and the consolidation of practical relations between Moscow State University and the Russian Orthodox Church’, the statement reads.
Its authors maintain in particular that the Orthodox-patriotic stand taken by the department’s leaders and the cooperation with the Russian Orthodox Church have sickened the opposition students who use in their protests ‘a whole set of trite liberal cliches’ and accuse the dean’s office of ‘clericalization of the situation’ and of ‘reactionary propaganda’ at the department.
As an alternative to Orthodox conservatism and relations with the Orthodox Church the opposition have proposed a pro-active support for sexual minorities, the Union of Orthodox Citizens notes.
The statement refers in particular to the activists of the so-called United Civic Green Alternative (GROZA) who have distributed anti-Orthodox leaflets at the department and who, last May, ‘assaulted the Moscow police in an attempt to defend the gay pride parade, which had been forbidden by the authorities, and ‘the violated dignity of Russian gays’.
‘According to GROZA and the OD-Group, the Orthodox propaganda at Moscow University should be replaced by propaganda of gay culture. Is the MSU scientific community ready to accept this alternative proposed in fact by those of the OD-Group?’ the authors of the documents ask.
The Union of Orthodox Citizens has appealed to the state and church authorities as well as the academic and ecclesiastical scholarly community in Russia and the patriotic public ‘to rise in opposition to the subversive activity carried out by the youth OD-Group at the Department of Sociology and those standing behind them as presenting a potential threat not only to the stability and possibility of scientific work at MSU but also to the national interests of the country’.
- Religion department editor of the Dagestani newspaper detained on suspicion of terrorism financing 17 June 2019, 11:30
- Russian Catholics don’t believe in islamization of Europe 07 June 2019, 15:30
- Leaders, members of 15 Jehovah's Witnesses cells held in Dagestan 07 June 2019, 10:55
- World will be better if people follow Bible, Torah, Koran - Putin 06 June 2019, 18:01
- Russian Catholics urge not to have illusions about possible pontiff's visit to Moscow 06 June 2019, 17:05
- The Russian Orthodox Church is not ready to welcome the Pope of Rome in Moscow 06 June 2019, 16:04
- Putin to meet with Pope Francis 06 June 2019, 14:34
- Russian Jews pray for “lifting up” the soul of the reposed wife of the Israel’s president 06 June 2019, 11:32
- Russia's Jews present country as example of tolerance for Europe 04 June 2019, 18:48
- Remembrance of Great Patriotic War protects Russia from xenophobia, anti-Semitism - Putin 04 June 2019, 17:48
- Putin attends unveiling of monument to heroes of resistance in concentration camps 04 June 2019, 17:41
- Russian Muslim community plays major role in combating extremist ideology - PM Medvedev 04 June 2019, 11:28
- Putin notes Russian Muslims' contribution to peoples' unity, fight against extremism 04 June 2019, 11:25
- Last Sobibor uprising survivor dies 03 June 2019, 18:17
- Kiev Patriarchate does not exist, never existed - Patriarch Bartholomew 03 June 2019, 14:54
- Constantinople cannot solve complicated religious situation in Ukraine - Russian Orthodox Church 30 May 2019, 19:45
- Putin congratulates Jews on Salvation and Liberation Day 30 May 2019, 19:00
- Protests against construction of churches plotted by outside forces - Russian Orthodox Church 28 May 2019, 18:42
- Church on site of first Russian settlement Fort Ross in U.S. to be restored 28 May 2019, 17:27
- Russian Orthodox Church to open churches in Cyprus, Sweden 28 May 2019, 17:26
- Yekaterinburg residents offer some 50 sites for church construction 27 May 2019, 18:37
- Patriarch Kirill in meeting with Mijatovic asks Council of Europe to control observance of believers' rights in Ukraine 27 May 2019, 18:35
- Churches in Russia to keep being built as long as people need it - Patriarch Kirill 27 May 2019, 18:14
- Patriarch Kirill hopes for end to discrimination against Orthodox Christians in Ukraine under new president 27 May 2019, 18:13
- Europe, Russia should turn over page of misunderstanding - Patriarch Kirill 27 May 2019, 17:18
- Patriarch Kirill tells secretary general of Council of Europe is concerned about human rights issues 27 May 2019, 14:14
- Putin, Patriarch Kirill discuss matter of plans to build Yekaterinburg church – Peskov 27 May 2019, 13:42
- Metropolitan Kirill compares situation with church construction in Yekaterinburg to tsar's family killing 27 May 2019, 12:31
- Patriarch Kirill sanctifies Church of All Saints in Strasbourg 27 May 2019, 11:27
- Hegumen arrested after stabbing, injuring monk at Trinity Lavra of St. Sergius 24 May 2019, 19:10