02 September 2005, 14:49
Pskov museum specialists insist on return of pagan idols taken out to Germany in wartime
Pskov, September 2, Interfax - The Pskov museum specialists insist on the return to Russia of the pagan idols and other museum exhibits taken out to Germany when Pskov was occupied during the Great Patriotic War.
‘We know about two stone idols of the pre-Christian time. One of them dating to the 8th -10th century was found in the early 20th century in a brook near the Promezhiza village and was kept in the Pskov museum before the Great Patriotic War, during which it was taken away to Germany’, museum’s researcher Anatoly Alexandrov reported to Interfax.
He also said that the ‘Heritage of Spirit’ society had been set up in Germany during World War II. Its members collected all cult values from the occupied territories. ‘They, probably, got the idol’, Alexandrov noted.
The second idol found in the swamps not far the Bogovo village, Pushkinogorsk district, but not registered in the museum’s card index also disappeared during the years of occupation.
According to the scientist, ‘preliminary research shows that it was a Celtic idol of the 3rd century B.C. - 4th century A.D. Its presence in the Pskov region suggests that small groups of Celts could have reached this territory where they were assimilated’.
‘We do not know when and how the pre-Christian idols will be returned to us. However, we spare no effort to bring the monuments of pagan culture back to the Pskov region. We have prepared and sent all proper documents’, Alexandrov said.
- Russian Church reports a daily increase in the number of its parishes in Africa 26 January 2022, 10:12
- Russian delegation to PACE rejects accusations that LGBT people harassed in Chechnya 25 January 2022, 14:43
- Russian Church tightens coronavirus-related restrictions at Moscow churches 24 January 2022, 17:11
- House of Romanov hails Russian Orthodox Church's plans to recognize authenticity of 'Yekaterinburg remains' 24 January 2022, 10:03
- Nothing hinders recognition of authenticity of royal family's remains - Russian Orthodox Church member 24 January 2022, 10:00
- Christmas parliamentary meetings postponed indefinitely due to coronavirus situation 21 January 2022, 17:53
- Former Metropolitan Vladimir of St. Petersburg died at the age of 92 19 January 2022, 20:35
- Putin didn't take Epiphany ice plunge this year 19 January 2022, 13:35
- State Duma passes bill on life sentence for pedophiles 18 January 2022, 18:18
- Anti-Semitism is on the rise in Germany - Deputy Ambassador 18 January 2022, 18:16
- The head of Yakutia took part in Epiphany bathing in a 40-degree frost 18 January 2022, 18:10
- Patriarch Kirill admitted that part of the world Orthodoxy will go into schism 18 January 2022, 18:05
- Death penalty impossible in Russia - State Duma committee head 12 January 2022, 15:46
- Russian Orthodox Church works out a program of comprehensive presence in Africa 12 January 2022, 15:01
- Kazakh president urges preventing merger of criminality, religious extremism 11 January 2022, 11:38
- Russian Orthodox Church against lifting moratorium on death penalty 08 January 2022, 19:27
- Patriarch Kirill hopes Covid-19 pandemic will be over 07 January 2022, 19:28
- Patriarch Kirill prays for peace in Kazakhstan at Christmas service 07 January 2022, 19:26
- Patriarch Kirill concerned about the shortsightedness of politicians who speak to Russia from a position of strength 07 January 2022, 12:59
- Putin notes moral significance of Christmas 07 January 2022, 10:25
- Russian Orthodox Church sets up Patriarchal Exarchate of Africa 30 December 2021, 10:00
- Russian Church admits over 100 Patriarchate of Alexandria clerics as its members (updated) 29 December 2021, 17:56
- Russian govt orders monitoring of violations of citizens' rights along ethnic, religious lines 29 December 2021, 12:23
- Russian Church considers the long-term isolation of criminals no less effective than death penalty 29 December 2021, 11:30
- Russia not to reinstate death penalty in coming years - Presidential Human Rights Council member 29 December 2021, 11:14
- Group for protection of Christian values created at State Duma 29 December 2021, 11:12
- FJCR considers departure from traditional values the main reason for demographic decline of Jewish population after the war 27 December 2021, 12:14
- FJCR believes that mutual assistance has become the main social trend of 2021 27 December 2021, 12:03
- The head of the Russian Investigative Committee discussed the importance of spirituality in life and work with Mireille Mathieu 27 December 2021, 11:58
- Patriarch Kirill believes that modern cinema promotes the upbringing of an "old" person 27 December 2021, 11:54