02 September 2005, 14:49
Pskov museum specialists insist on return of pagan idols taken out to Germany in wartime
Pskov, September 2, Interfax - The Pskov museum specialists insist on the return to Russia of the pagan idols and other museum exhibits taken out to Germany when Pskov was occupied during the Great Patriotic War.
‘We know about two stone idols of the pre-Christian time. One of them dating to the 8th -10th century was found in the early 20th century in a brook near the Promezhiza village and was kept in the Pskov museum before the Great Patriotic War, during which it was taken away to Germany’, museum’s researcher Anatoly Alexandrov reported to Interfax.
He also said that the ‘Heritage of Spirit’ society had been set up in Germany during World War II. Its members collected all cult values from the occupied territories. ‘They, probably, got the idol’, Alexandrov noted.
The second idol found in the swamps not far the Bogovo village, Pushkinogorsk district, but not registered in the museum’s card index also disappeared during the years of occupation.
According to the scientist, ‘preliminary research shows that it was a Celtic idol of the 3rd century B.C. - 4th century A.D. Its presence in the Pskov region suggests that small groups of Celts could have reached this territory where they were assimilated’.
‘We do not know when and how the pre-Christian idols will be returned to us. However, we spare no effort to bring the monuments of pagan culture back to the Pskov region. We have prepared and sent all proper documents’, Alexandrov said.
- Religion section editor of Dagestani newspaper suspected of financing terrorism arrested for 2 months 19 June 2019, 17:14
- Memorial in place of the second biggest burial of the Holocaust victims opened in Caucasus 19 June 2019, 17:09
- The Georgian Church official accuses US acting ambassador of trying to aggravate the situation around LGBT-action in Georgia 18 June 2019, 11:09
- Religion department editor of the Dagestani newspaper detained on suspicion of terrorism financing 17 June 2019, 11:30
- Russian Catholics don’t believe in islamization of Europe 07 June 2019, 15:30
- Leaders, members of 15 Jehovah's Witnesses cells held in Dagestan 07 June 2019, 10:55
- World will be better if people follow Bible, Torah, Koran - Putin 06 June 2019, 18:01
- Russian Catholics urge not to have illusions about possible pontiff's visit to Moscow 06 June 2019, 17:05
- The Russian Orthodox Church is not ready to welcome the Pope of Rome in Moscow 06 June 2019, 16:04
- Putin to meet with Pope Francis 06 June 2019, 14:34
- Russian Jews pray for “lifting up” the soul of the reposed wife of the Israel’s president 06 June 2019, 11:32
- Russia's Jews present country as example of tolerance for Europe 04 June 2019, 18:48
- Remembrance of Great Patriotic War protects Russia from xenophobia, anti-Semitism - Putin 04 June 2019, 17:48
- Putin attends unveiling of monument to heroes of resistance in concentration camps 04 June 2019, 17:41
- Russian Muslim community plays major role in combating extremist ideology - PM Medvedev 04 June 2019, 11:28
- Putin notes Russian Muslims' contribution to peoples' unity, fight against extremism 04 June 2019, 11:25
- Last Sobibor uprising survivor dies 03 June 2019, 18:17
- Kiev Patriarchate does not exist, never existed - Patriarch Bartholomew 03 June 2019, 14:54
- Constantinople cannot solve complicated religious situation in Ukraine - Russian Orthodox Church 30 May 2019, 19:45
- Putin congratulates Jews on Salvation and Liberation Day 30 May 2019, 19:00
- Protests against construction of churches plotted by outside forces - Russian Orthodox Church 28 May 2019, 18:42
- Church on site of first Russian settlement Fort Ross in U.S. to be restored 28 May 2019, 17:27
- Russian Orthodox Church to open churches in Cyprus, Sweden 28 May 2019, 17:26
- Yekaterinburg residents offer some 50 sites for church construction 27 May 2019, 18:37
- Patriarch Kirill in meeting with Mijatovic asks Council of Europe to control observance of believers' rights in Ukraine 27 May 2019, 18:35
- Churches in Russia to keep being built as long as people need it - Patriarch Kirill 27 May 2019, 18:14
- Patriarch Kirill hopes for end to discrimination against Orthodox Christians in Ukraine under new president 27 May 2019, 18:13
- Europe, Russia should turn over page of misunderstanding - Patriarch Kirill 27 May 2019, 17:18
- Patriarch Kirill tells secretary general of Council of Europe is concerned about human rights issues 27 May 2019, 14:14
- Putin, Patriarch Kirill discuss matter of plans to build Yekaterinburg church – Peskov 27 May 2019, 13:42