28 March 2007, 14:52
Moscow public applauds Bishop Hilarion’s new masterpiece
Moscow, March 28, Interfax - The grand premiere of Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev of Vienna and Austria’s new composition The Passion According to St. Matthew performed Tuesday night in the Moscow Conservatoire by the State Tretyakov Gallery choir and Tchaikovsky Large Symphony Orchestra, was met by applauds and bravoes.
Patriarch Alexy II of Moscow and All Russia attended the concert and called the bishop’s music ‘good preparation for great days of the Holy Week.’ He wished that all could feel deeply our Lord’s atoning work and well prepare themselves for the solemn day of his resurrection.
The Passion According to St. Matthew is a monumental composition for soloists, choir and orchestra, that follows the canonical Matthew’s Gospel and some Orthodox hymnography.
The composition written by Bishop Hilarion in autumn 2006 comprises 48 musical items including recitations, arias for soprano, contralto, tenor and bass with orchestra, choruses, fugues for orchestra and choruses.
145 musicians took part in the concert including five soloists from Russia and Austria, seventy singers and seventy orchestra musicians. The premiere was conducted by People’s Artiste of Russia Vladimir Fedoseyev.
The Passion According to St. Matthew will be performed by the same cast of musicians in Rome’s Auditorium Conciliazione on Thursday, March 29.
- Five men suspected of setting fire to churches in Tatarstan turn out to be Islamists 12 December 2013, 17:01
- Yanukovich invites reps of all political forces, clergy to have dialog 12 December 2013, 10:00
- Minsk administration bans public events organized by sexual minorities 11 December 2013, 10:05
- Russia arrests presumed Hizb ut-Tahrir envoy 11 December 2013, 10:02
- Believers have right to influence public processes, state - Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin 11 December 2013, 10:00
- Russia to oppose inclusion of sections on sexual orientation in intl documents 10 December 2013, 10:02
- Amnesty could apply to Pussy Riot members - newspaper 10 December 2013, 10:01
- Elton John performs in Moscow, protests homophobia 09 December 2013, 10:01
- It is unacceptable for constitution to give preference to any one faith - Russian premier 06 December 2013, 16:09
- Deputy Milonov proposes easing receipt of Russian citizenship for "spiritually insulted" Europeans 04 December 2013, 15:49
- Moscow, Antioch Patriarchates call for release of kidnapped Syrian nuns 04 December 2013, 15:47
- Catholic priest suspected of high treason released from Belarusian KGB cell pending trial - Apostolic Nunciature 04 December 2013, 14:23
- Russia wants terror attacks stopped against religious figures, worship sites in Syria 04 December 2013, 12:16
- Lawyer: Russian priest accused of pedophilia remains in Israel 04 December 2013, 10:10
- Russians still trust president, Church the most - poll 04 December 2013, 10:09
- Conflicts on former Soviet soil should be settled peacefully - Russian Church 03 December 2013, 15:28
- Muslim organization leader appointed head of new Kazakh movement 03 December 2013, 14:39
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin calls for fight against destructive sects 02 December 2013, 17:43
- Reward pledged in Tatarstan for info on church arsonists 02 December 2013, 17:24
- Orthodox Christians to hold sacred procession in Kiev 02 December 2013, 13:51
- Religious organization in Taganrog illegally treated drug-dependent people 02 December 2013, 10:18
- The Bible will be translated into modern Russian language 02 December 2013, 10:17
- Head of Ukrainian Orthodox Church condemn Maidan dispersal 02 December 2013, 10:11
- FEMEN activist strips near Kiev Laura of the Caves against dictatorship 02 December 2013, 10:09
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin advises Orthodox countries not to adopt Western democracy models 29 November 2013, 10:05
- Minaret built in Georgian village at night 29 November 2013, 10:03
- Hizb ut-Tahrir recruiter detained in Kyrgyzstan 28 November 2013, 12:03
- Too early to discuss time, place of meeting of Patriarch Kirill, Pope Francis - Russian Church 28 November 2013, 10:13
- Patriarch Kirill expressed concerns about exodus by Christians from Iraq 27 November 2013, 14:29
- 15 At Takfir Wal-Hijra members detained in Moscow - Interior Ministry 27 November 2013, 10:24