28 March 2007, 14:52
Moscow public applauds Bishop Hilarion’s new masterpiece
Moscow, March 28, Interfax - The grand premiere of Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev of Vienna and Austria’s new composition The Passion According to St. Matthew performed Tuesday night in the Moscow Conservatoire by the State Tretyakov Gallery choir and Tchaikovsky Large Symphony Orchestra, was met by applauds and bravoes.
Patriarch Alexy II of Moscow and All Russia attended the concert and called the bishop’s music ‘good preparation for great days of the Holy Week.’ He wished that all could feel deeply our Lord’s atoning work and well prepare themselves for the solemn day of his resurrection.
The Passion According to St. Matthew is a monumental composition for soloists, choir and orchestra, that follows the canonical Matthew’s Gospel and some Orthodox hymnography.
The composition written by Bishop Hilarion in autumn 2006 comprises 48 musical items including recitations, arias for soprano, contralto, tenor and bass with orchestra, choruses, fugues for orchestra and choruses.
145 musicians took part in the concert including five soloists from Russia and Austria, seventy singers and seventy orchestra musicians. The premiere was conducted by People’s Artiste of Russia Vladimir Fedoseyev.
The Passion According to St. Matthew will be performed by the same cast of musicians in Rome’s Auditorium Conciliazione on Thursday, March 29.
- Patriarch Kirill calls murders of priest and nun in Kiev outrageous 30 July 2015, 10:04
- Nun of Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the Moscow Patriarchate murdered in Kiev 29 July 2015, 18:01
- Islamic State recruits people worldwide – Bortnikov 29 July 2015, 11:46
- FSB director calls for discreditation of Islamists' leaders 29 July 2015, 11:10
- Priest attacked in Kiev dies 29 July 2015, 10:44
- Poroshenko promises no state interference in forming united local Ukrainian Orthodox Church 29 July 2015, 10:02
- Ex-leader of Bashkir national movement jailed for three years for religious extremism 28 July 2015, 12:16
- Russia to continue Donbass peace efforts in response to Patriarch Kirill's message - the Kremlin 28 July 2015, 12:14
- Kremlin to host presidential reception in honor of Baptizer of Russia 28 July 2015, 11:39
- Patriarch Kirill launches anti-war appeal to Putin, Poroshenko on eve of Russia Christianization Day (updated) 27 July 2015, 18:16
- Kiev priest attack must not remain unpunished - Moscow Patriarchate 27 July 2015, 17:25
- Chelyabinsk Islamist gets 5-year sentence 27 July 2015, 17:02
- Wahabi from Dagestan detained with ammo, heroin on bus to Moscow 27 July 2015, 16:59
- Moscow Patriarchate priest badly wounded in Kiev 27 July 2015, 11:48
- Jews with synagogues on wheels to visit over 70 cities of Russia 27 July 2015, 10:34
- Arkhangelsk authorities ban LGBT event on Airborne Troops Day 27 July 2015, 10:11
- Georgian Patriarch successfully operated on in Germany 27 July 2015, 10:00
- Chapel or memorial sign to appear in place of collapsed barracks in Omsk 24 July 2015, 12:45
- Kyrgyz PM proposes to build special prison for religious extremists 24 July 2015, 11:42
- Russian Orthodox Church urges authorities against leaving people without ideological "wheel and sails" 23 July 2015, 15:40
- Valaam abbot gives up Internet, suggests restricting use of smartphones in monasteries 23 July 2015, 10:01
- No way back to Chechnya for those joining Islamic State – Kadyrov 22 July 2015, 12:23
- Tajik former election committee member from Islamic party jailed for illegal arms possession 21 July 2015, 14:35
- State Duma deputy asks Russian foreign minister to initiate international tribunal for ISIL 21 July 2015, 11:20
- At least 500 Tajiks fighting alongside IS - Interior Ministry 21 July 2015, 10:01
- Ukrainian miners build a church at the depth of 800 meters 20 July 2015, 16:53
- Patriarch Kirill urges Ukraine not to politicize the term 'Russian world' 20 July 2015, 13:35
- Icons and coins for €16,000 stolen from a collector's flat in Moscow 20 July 2015, 11:46
- Metropolitan of Kiev calls on Ukrainian authorities to do everything to stop war 17 July 2015, 16:18
- Mufti Tajuddin criticizes West for "vicious lie" and double standards 17 July 2015, 11:50