05 April 2007, 18:09
Hizb ut-Tahrir activist convicted in Tajikistan
Dushanbe, April 5, Interfax - An activist of the banned extremist party Hizb ut-Tahrir has been sentenced to a long prison term, judge Iso Tavakkalov told journalists on Thursday.
"A Tajik citizen, Akmal Akbarov, born in 1976, was found guilty by a Chkalovsk court (a town 300 kilometers northeast from Dushanbe, at the border with Uzbekistan) and sentenced to nine years and nine months of imprisonment at a high-security correctional facility and will face confiscation of property," said Tavakkalov, who chaired the proceedings.
Akbarov was found guilty under Article 307, "Public calls for overthrow of the constitutional regime of the Republic of Tajikistan", Article 187 "Organizing a criminal organization" and Article 189 "Inciting ethnic, communal or religious hatred" of Tajikistan's Criminal Code.
Tavakkalov said that the court took into account the convict's repentance and the fact that he has three children.
It has been the third process against a Hizb ut-Tahrir member since the beginning of 2007 in northern Tajikistan.
In 2006, 92 presumed members of various extremist organizations were detained in Tajikistan, which is 10% more than in 2005. Fifty-eight among the detained are presumed members of Hizb ut-Tahrir, which is most active in the northern part of the country, which borders with the Fergana Valley in Uzbekistan and Kyrgyzstan.
- Russian people, like Noah, urged not to let the world finally sink in sin, Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin believes 16 April 2014, 19:21
- Two chapels and baptistery set on fire in Ulyanovsk region 16 April 2014, 17:47
- Alleged ex-activist of Hizb ut-Tahrir going on trial in Moscow 16 April 2014, 17:11
- Gay parades not permitted in Sevastopol or Simferopol 16 April 2014, 16:59
- Two imams banned from mosque service in Kyrgyzstan 16 April 2014, 15:29
- Kadyrov wants to build a mosque in Sevastopol 16 April 2014, 11:49
- Murderer confessed in his crimes after becoming a believer 15 April 2014, 16:11
- Islamic radicals are unpopular in Crimea - expert 15 April 2014, 11:08
- Putin thanks Russia's chief rabbi for contribution in enhancing inter-confession peace 15 April 2014, 10:00
- About 170 tonnes of matzah made for Passover in Russia 14 April 2014, 10:08
- Two militants suspected killers of Dagestan village imam 14 April 2014, 10:00
- Odessa Diocese secretary moves to Moscow for fear of persecution 11 April 2014, 17:27
- WRPC Human Rights Center supports the idea of criminal proceedings against Gorbachev 11 April 2014, 16:31
- Group of Jehovah's Witnesses followers detained in Uzbekistan 11 April 2014, 14:23
- Roman Abramovich spends half million dollars on Passover celebrations 11 April 2014, 10:08
- Village mosque imam killed in Dagestan 11 April 2014, 10:00
- Russian oligarchs start a pilgrimage across Israeli desert 10 April 2014, 11:39
- Radical Islam followers from Europe, Central Asia fight for Syrian militants - Bortnikov 09 April 2014, 14:03
- Assailants of Dagestan madrasah teacher killed in police operation 09 April 2014, 11:24
- Iraqi Sharia court to try Bryansk pedagogue on earthenware smuggling counts 09 April 2014, 10:59
- Kostroma authorities to appeal court ruling over illegality of gay pride parade ban 09 April 2014, 10:13
- Terrorism, Wahhabism neutralized in Chechnya completely – Kadyrov 09 April 2014, 10:04
- Russian Foundation to deliver Holy Fire from Jerusalem to Crimea 09 April 2014, 10:00
- Priest Grozovsky to be extradited to Russia soon 08 April 2014, 19:45
- Activities of 18 intl religious extremists suppressed in four Russian regions - FSB chief 08 April 2014, 12:30
- Russian prosecutors ask Israel to extradite priest accused of child molestation – sources 07 April 2014, 17:01
- Siberian hermit Agafya Lykova may move from taiga 07 April 2014, 16:50
- Group of Hizb ut-Tahrir propagandists detained in Kyrgyzstan 07 April 2014, 16:18
- Patriarch Kirill compares events in Ukraine to 1917 revolution 07 April 2014, 15:30
- Cross set up, prayer said in North Pole 07 April 2014, 11:03