05 April 2007, 18:09
Hizb ut-Tahrir activist convicted in Tajikistan
Dushanbe, April 5, Interfax - An activist of the banned extremist party Hizb ut-Tahrir has been sentenced to a long prison term, judge Iso Tavakkalov told journalists on Thursday.
"A Tajik citizen, Akmal Akbarov, born in 1976, was found guilty by a Chkalovsk court (a town 300 kilometers northeast from Dushanbe, at the border with Uzbekistan) and sentenced to nine years and nine months of imprisonment at a high-security correctional facility and will face confiscation of property," said Tavakkalov, who chaired the proceedings.
Akbarov was found guilty under Article 307, "Public calls for overthrow of the constitutional regime of the Republic of Tajikistan", Article 187 "Organizing a criminal organization" and Article 189 "Inciting ethnic, communal or religious hatred" of Tajikistan's Criminal Code.
Tavakkalov said that the court took into account the convict's repentance and the fact that he has three children.
It has been the third process against a Hizb ut-Tahrir member since the beginning of 2007 in northern Tajikistan.
In 2006, 92 presumed members of various extremist organizations were detained in Tajikistan, which is 10% more than in 2005. Fifty-eight among the detained are presumed members of Hizb ut-Tahrir, which is most active in the northern part of the country, which borders with the Fergana Valley in Uzbekistan and Kyrgyzstan.
- Holy Synod of Moscow Patriarchate to assess Church of Greece decision to recognize OCU this fall 13 October 2019, 20:45
- Greek Orthodox Church hierarchs recognize OCU autocephaly 13 October 2019, 20:44
- New Syrian constitution must guarantee interests of all ethnic, religious groups - Putin 13 October 2019, 20:36
- Alma-Ata police conduct searches at Jehovah's Witnesses office 13 October 2019, 20:35
- Kardashian was named Egine after baptizing in Armenia 11 October 2019, 10:47
- Three Russian Islamist women accused of killing prison guard in Pakistan 11 October 2019, 10:45
- Man hurt in shooting near monastery in southern Urals 11 October 2019, 10:33
- Today's methods for countering anti-Semitism insufficient - FJCR 11 October 2019, 10:32
- Daughter, son-in-law of Orenburg priest charged with child molestation left in custody 09 October 2019, 14:12
- Two Jehovah's Witnesses released from custody, placed under house arrest in Russia's Primorye 08 October 2019, 13:38
- Kardashian baptized children in Armenia 08 October 2019, 10:12
- Georgian patriarch hopes for German president to facilitate settlement of Transcaucasia's crises 08 October 2019, 10:07
- Patriarch Kirill congratulates Western Europe's 'Russian exarchate' on rejoining Russian Orthodox Church 08 October 2019, 10:03
- Russian Exarchate to keep financial independence, traditions within Russian Orthodox Church 08 October 2019, 10:00
- Russian Orthodox Church Synod includes in it former Constantinople 'Russian exarchate' (updated) 07 October 2019, 15:46
- FJCR announcing two new synagogues in Crimea 04 October 2019, 10:00
- The Maronite Patriarchate denies it has recognized the OCU 04 October 2019, 10:00
- Bashkir hunter shot the priest taking him for a bear 03 October 2019, 11:57
- Chasids leave Uman 02 October 2019, 20:15
- Russian religious donators give Syria school worth $300,000 30 September 2019, 15:57
- The Russian Orthodox Church official believes Jehovah's Witnesses in Russia are persecuted for extremism, not faith 30 September 2019, 13:57
- Adult adopted children of arrested Orenburg priest don't believe accusations against him 30 September 2019, 13:27
- Belarusian Orthodox Church doesn't need autocephaly - church head 30 September 2019, 11:57
- Russian Church welcomes the news about reunion with "Russia exarchate" clerics 30 September 2019, 10:37
- Putin greets Russian Jews on Rosh Hashanah 30 September 2019, 10:30
- Absolute majority of Russian Exarchate clerics in Europe join Moscow Patriarchate 28 September 2019, 19:42
- Russian Orthodox Church calls on media to refrain from labeling Archpriest Stremsky as pedophile before court ruling 27 September 2019, 16:51
- Defense lawyers for Orenburg priest charged with child sexual abuse appeal his arrest 27 September 2019, 16:03
- About ten priests came to the court to vouch for a person involved in Moscow case 27 September 2019, 11:41
- Gay couple from Russia, who are witnesses in case involving children they adopted, seeking asylum in U.S 26 September 2019, 19:58