05 April 2007, 18:09
Hizb ut-Tahrir activist convicted in Tajikistan
Dushanbe, April 5, Interfax - An activist of the banned extremist party Hizb ut-Tahrir has been sentenced to a long prison term, judge Iso Tavakkalov told journalists on Thursday.
"A Tajik citizen, Akmal Akbarov, born in 1976, was found guilty by a Chkalovsk court (a town 300 kilometers northeast from Dushanbe, at the border with Uzbekistan) and sentenced to nine years and nine months of imprisonment at a high-security correctional facility and will face confiscation of property," said Tavakkalov, who chaired the proceedings.
Akbarov was found guilty under Article 307, "Public calls for overthrow of the constitutional regime of the Republic of Tajikistan", Article 187 "Organizing a criminal organization" and Article 189 "Inciting ethnic, communal or religious hatred" of Tajikistan's Criminal Code.
Tavakkalov said that the court took into account the convict's repentance and the fact that he has three children.
It has been the third process against a Hizb ut-Tahrir member since the beginning of 2007 in northern Tajikistan.
In 2006, 92 presumed members of various extremist organizations were detained in Tajikistan, which is 10% more than in 2005. Fifty-eight among the detained are presumed members of Hizb ut-Tahrir, which is most active in the northern part of the country, which borders with the Fergana Valley in Uzbekistan and Kyrgyzstan.
- Lavrov meets with Orthodox monastery abbess in Guatemala 27 March 2015, 10:46
- Pilot Savchenko’s files contain information about torturing a priest 26 March 2015, 19:25
- Kolomoisky's resignation is the sign of Ukraine's growing dependence on the West, Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin believes 26 March 2015, 18:26
- Russians trained by ISIL may be used against home country 26 March 2015, 15:08
- Kyrgyzstan outlaws Islamic State 25 March 2015, 15:36
- Chechen leader, Jordanian king discuss fight against IS 25 March 2015, 10:00
- Moscow Patriarchate priest assaulted in west Ukraine 24 March 2015, 10:00
- Ukrainians trust Church the most - poll 23 March 2015, 17:22
- Over 5,000 mercenaries from CIS fight on ISIS side - expert 23 March 2015, 16:15
- Schoolchildren from Turkey, Italy, Egypt to discuss fight against religious extremism in St. Petersburg 23 March 2015, 12:57
- Uzbekistan worried about ISIL activity near its borders 23 March 2015, 12:19
- Patriarch Kirill awards Lavrov 23 March 2015, 11:28
- Chubais doubts Nemtsov murder motivated by religious hatred 23 March 2015, 10:15
- IS recruiters targeting North Caucasus students - envoy Melikov 23 March 2015, 10:00
- Russian Orthodox Church concerned about legalization of same-sex "marriage", abortion issue, and secularism in Europe 20 March 2015, 17:35
- The Russian Church conveys twenty five tones of humanitarian help to Donbass residents 20 March 2015, 14:41
- Another Moscow Patriarchate church seized in Ukraine 20 March 2015, 10:00
- Leader of women's wing of Hizb ut-Tahrir detained, arms cache discovered in south Kyrgyzstan 19 March 2015, 10:02
- Head of the Russian State Archive suggests to exhume remains of the tzar family to examine them again 18 March 2015, 16:28
- Russian Central Muslim Board urges artists to be more delicate about believers' feelings 16 March 2015, 14:57
- Russia is urged to revive Christianity in Europe - Patriarch Kirill 16 March 2015, 14:21
- Fire in Novodevichy Convent bell tower did not damage building 16 March 2015, 13:42
- Tannhauser opera staged in Novosibirsk desecrates Christian symbols - Mufti of Moscow 13 March 2015, 18:44
- Patriarch Kirill tried the role of a schoolboy at the Moscow Region Gymnasium 13 March 2015, 17:14
- Fire in bell tower of Nizhny Novgorod cathedral extinguished 12 March 2015, 17:42
- Church to help mortgage debtors settle their problems and asks authorities not to leave them in the lurch 12 March 2015, 16:53
- Russia to import halal meat to Arab countries 12 March 2015, 13:25
- Alexander Nevsky Cathedral burning in Nizhny Novgorod 12 March 2015, 12:54
- Famous Uzbek Islamic theologian dies in gym 12 March 2015, 10:26
- Court drops case against Novosibirsk opera theater director 12 March 2015, 10:07