06 April 2007, 16:00
Mufti Tajuddin’s opinion on gay pride is far more important than Elton John’s for Moscow Mayor press-secretary
Moscow, April 6, Interfax – Religious leaders’ criticism of the sexual minorities’ idea to hold a gay parade in Moscow strengthens the future of Russia, the Moscow mayor’s press-secretary Sergey Tsoy thinks.
‘Though I am a Christian, I appreciate Mufti Tajuddin incomparably more than Elton John since Tajuddin represents the interests and hopes of a million Moscow Moslems, my fellow citymen,’ Tsoy told Moskovsky Comsomolets daily in his interview published on Friday.
‘Great pastors as the patriarch, the supreme mufti and the chief rabbi by praying for and defending the interests of millions of their believers not only confirm the faith’ but ultimately ‘work for the development and strengthening of our common great country of Russia,’ he said.
The chairman of the Central Muslim Spiritual Directorate Mufti Talgat Tajuddin said last year that gay pride participants ‘should be flogged’ since they ‘crossed the limit: having an abnormal sexual orientation is a crime against God.’
The spokesman said that the city government put no obstacles for sexual minorities in ‘meeting their needs whatever they are.’ In particular, there are a number of gay clubs in Moscow.
The sexual minorities create problems for themselves and provoke conflict when ‘their most aggressive members try to impose their convictions on millions of Moscow citizens who deny their lifestyle,’ he said.
‘They play with fire. That’s their aggressive nature,’ Tsoy said commenting the gay pride organizers plan to hold their parade even without a legal permission.
He said that both Tverskoy district court and Moscow City Court outlawed the gay parade in Moscow their verdicts being ‘still in force.’
‘If they disregard the law, they will assume overall responsibility for all possible consequences – and it is dreadful to predict what they may be,’ Tsoy added.
- Patriarch Kirill diagnosed with Covid-19 30 September 2022, 12:41
- State Duma Council to consider consultations on possible reintroduction of death penalty 27 September 2022, 20:44
- Patriarch Kirill calls for spiritual mobilization 27 September 2022, 15:34
- Russia's FSB reports detention a Muslim recruter in Moscow area 27 September 2022, 11:58
- Russian Church warns the West against "slipping into a bestial state" 23 September 2022, 12:11
- Patriarch Kirill declares the futility of attempts to intimidate the Russians 19 September 2022, 14:04
- Religious leaders call for ending conflicts, bloodshed in the world at congress in Nur-Sultan 15 September 2022, 14:49
- Some 10,000 believers attending papal mass in Kazakh capital 14 September 2022, 17:16
- Russian Supreme Court brands as terrorist, bans Islamic Renaissance Party of Tajikistan 14 September 2022, 11:42
- Pontiff urges religious leaders to help settle conflicts through dialogue 14 September 2022, 11:41
- Patriarch Kirill: attempts to build world order without relying on moral values led to fierce confrontation 14 September 2022, 11:40
- Bishop Nicholas of Manhattan elected new First Hierarch of Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia 13 September 2022, 20:42
- Catholicos of All Armenians urges world to react to Azerbaijan's actions 13 September 2022, 15:42
- Pope Francis arrives in Kazakhstan's capital 13 September 2022, 15:38
- Russian State Duma may hold hearings on LGBT propaganda ban in Oct-Nov 13 September 2022, 14:50
- Latvian Orthodox Church chooses not to argue with govt about its status 12 September 2022, 10:30
- Patriarch Kirill calls Elizabeth II symbol of sustainability of centuries-old traditions for entire Europe 09 September 2022, 13:02
- Russian Orthodox Church on declaration of Latvian Church's autocephaly by parliament: they surpassed Middle Ages 08 September 2022, 21:45
- Latvian Saeima endorses law on independence of Latvian Orthodox Church 08 September 2022, 19:06
- WCC refuses to accuse Russian Orthodox Church despite pressure 08 September 2022, 17:03
- Court in Primorye overrules order committing Yakutia shaman Gabyshev to hospital 08 September 2022, 10:31
- Russian ombudsman calls for moratorium on death penalty in DPR 07 September 2022, 14:42
- Patriarch Kirill highlights Russia's special role in modern history 06 September 2022, 17:35
- Riga seeking independence of Latvian Orthodox Church from Moscow Patriarchate (updated) 05 September 2022, 17:44
- Russian Orthodox Church outraged by interference of Latvian secular authorities in church affairs 05 September 2022, 15:32
- World Council of Churches refuses to isolate Russian Orthodox Church delegation at its assembly 01 September 2022, 21:32
- Russian Orthodox Church accuses German president of putting pressure on World Council of Churches 01 September 2022, 14:23
- Russian Orthodox Church views Kyiv's sanctions on Patriarch Kirill as PR campaign 31 August 2022, 17:25
- Fines for LGBT propaganda to be from 50,000 to 200,000 rubles for citizens, foreigners may be deported from Russia 31 August 2022, 16:42
- Ukrainian govt approves proposed sanctions against Patriarch Kirill 31 August 2022, 09:56