09 April 2007, 10:01
Return of stolen icons to Russia on eve of Easter is symbolic - Alexy II
Moscow, April 9, Interfax - Patriarch Alexy II of Moscow and all Russia has said that the return of orthodox icons, including the image of the Vladimir Holy Mother, to Russia on the eve of the Easter holiday, is symbolic.
"Should one imagine the number of people and generations who have been worshiping at the shrine, the icon gains a special status," the patriarch said at the end of an Easter prayer at the Cathedral of Christ the Savior on Sunday.
Russian President Vladimir Putin presented the image of the Vladimir Holy Mother, which as experts claim originated in the 16th century, to the Russian Orthodox Church during the Easter vigil at the cathedral.
The icon left Russia in 1920-s. It was sold at an auction in London in 1980-s. The image has been bought and returned to Russia recently.
Experts believe that this is an ancient Kremlin icon, which is very important from the historic and spiritual points of view. Some specialists believe that the icon was written before the 16th century.
The patriarch also marked the fact that another icon, Christ's Resurrection, which was stolen in 1990-s from a museum in the town of Ustyuzhna, sawed in three peaces and taken to foreign countries, returned to the Russian Orthodox Church ahead of the Easter holiday. "Kind people bought the icon, repaired it and gave it to the Cathedral of Christ the Savior," Alexy II said.
- Russia issued seven warnings over inciting national and religious enmity in 2014 23 April 2014, 15:36
- Yatsenyuk has yet to decide whether he will go to the Vatican 23 April 2014, 10:00
- Lukashenko cites Bible during address, calls for national unity 22 April 2014, 14:36
- Leader of the Ukrainian Union of Orthodox citizens is proclaimed people’s president of Novorossia Republic 21 April 2014, 18:09
- No religious fanatics ever existed in Kazakhstan - Nazarbayev 18 April 2014, 17:14
- Doctors of Rostov clinic refuse abortions for Easter week 18 April 2014, 16:29
- Church official hopes that West hears Putin’s call to build Europe basing on shared values 18 April 2014, 11:03
- Beijing: Islamists control regional drug trafficking routes 17 April 2014, 16:27
- Russian people, like Noah, urged not to let the world finally sink in sin, Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin believes 16 April 2014, 19:21
- Two chapels and baptistery set on fire in Ulyanovsk region 16 April 2014, 17:47
- Alleged ex-activist of Hizb ut-Tahrir going on trial in Moscow 16 April 2014, 17:11
- Gay parades not permitted in Sevastopol or Simferopol 16 April 2014, 16:59
- Two imams banned from mosque service in Kyrgyzstan 16 April 2014, 15:29
- Kadyrov wants to build a mosque in Sevastopol 16 April 2014, 11:49
- Murderer confessed in his crimes after becoming a believer 15 April 2014, 16:11
- Islamic radicals are unpopular in Crimea - expert 15 April 2014, 11:08
- Putin thanks Russia's chief rabbi for contribution in enhancing inter-confession peace 15 April 2014, 10:00
- About 170 tonnes of matzah made for Passover in Russia 14 April 2014, 10:08
- Two militants suspected killers of Dagestan village imam 14 April 2014, 10:00
- Odessa Diocese secretary moves to Moscow for fear of persecution 11 April 2014, 17:27
- WRPC Human Rights Center supports the idea of criminal proceedings against Gorbachev 11 April 2014, 16:31
- Group of Jehovah's Witnesses followers detained in Uzbekistan 11 April 2014, 14:23
- Roman Abramovich spends half million dollars on Passover celebrations 11 April 2014, 10:08
- Village mosque imam killed in Dagestan 11 April 2014, 10:00
- Russian oligarchs start a pilgrimage across Israeli desert 10 April 2014, 11:39
- Radical Islam followers from Europe, Central Asia fight for Syrian militants - Bortnikov 09 April 2014, 14:03
- Assailants of Dagestan madrasah teacher killed in police operation 09 April 2014, 11:24
- Iraqi Sharia court to try Bryansk pedagogue on earthenware smuggling counts 09 April 2014, 10:59
- Kostroma authorities to appeal court ruling over illegality of gay pride parade ban 09 April 2014, 10:13
- Terrorism, Wahhabism neutralized in Chechnya completely – Kadyrov 09 April 2014, 10:04