09 April 2007, 10:01
Return of stolen icons to Russia on eve of Easter is symbolic - Alexy II
Moscow, April 9, Interfax - Patriarch Alexy II of Moscow and all Russia has said that the return of orthodox icons, including the image of the Vladimir Holy Mother, to Russia on the eve of the Easter holiday, is symbolic.
"Should one imagine the number of people and generations who have been worshiping at the shrine, the icon gains a special status," the patriarch said at the end of an Easter prayer at the Cathedral of Christ the Savior on Sunday.
Russian President Vladimir Putin presented the image of the Vladimir Holy Mother, which as experts claim originated in the 16th century, to the Russian Orthodox Church during the Easter vigil at the cathedral.
The icon left Russia in 1920-s. It was sold at an auction in London in 1980-s. The image has been bought and returned to Russia recently.
Experts believe that this is an ancient Kremlin icon, which is very important from the historic and spiritual points of view. Some specialists believe that the icon was written before the 16th century.
The patriarch also marked the fact that another icon, Christ's Resurrection, which was stolen in 1990-s from a museum in the town of Ustyuzhna, sawed in three peaces and taken to foreign countries, returned to the Russian Orthodox Church ahead of the Easter holiday. "Kind people bought the icon, repaired it and gave it to the Cathedral of Christ the Savior," Alexy II said.
- Church official: scientologists, Jehovah's Witnesses are American agents 30 January 2015, 17:35
- Russian Supreme Court says North Caucasian jihadists fighting for ISIL 30 January 2015, 16:14
- Russians find publication of blasphemous cartoons unacceptable - poll 30 January 2015, 15:11
- Klitschko overturns decision to strip Moscow Patriarchate of tax break 30 January 2015, 10:17
- Russian citizens find publication of cartoons insulting people's religious feelings unacceptable - poll 30 January 2015, 10:16
- Church to commemorate perished Russian sailors to be build in Japan 30 January 2015, 10:08
- Kyrgyz protest against Prophet Muhammad cartoons calls for boycott of French perfumes 29 January 2015, 14:14
- Russians are against religious cartoons - poll 28 January 2015, 17:00
- Russian Orthodox Church concerned about church arsons in Ukraine 28 January 2015, 14:17
- Rabbi Lazar thanks WWII veterans for saving world from fascism 28 January 2015, 10:02
- Police bust female extremist cell in southern Kyrgyzstan 27 January 2015, 17:54
- Church set on fire in Kiev 27 January 2015, 16:19
- Russia calls for inquiry into Babi Yar church arson 27 January 2015, 10:07
- Patriarch Kirill condemns cartoons of Prophet Muhammad 26 January 2015, 18:45
- Over two thirds of Russians aware of Charlie Hebdo attack - poll 26 January 2015, 17:08
- Church torched in Babi Yar 26 January 2015, 16:40
- Some 3,000 strong protest in Jalal-Abad against Muhammad caricatures 26 January 2015, 14:47
- Roskomnadzor issues warning to newspaper RBC for publishing images offensive to Muslims 26 January 2015, 12:10
- Peskov would like "Leviathan" movie to be released in Russia 26 January 2015, 10:06
- Duma calls on journalists not to incite religious hatred 26 January 2015, 10:05
- Warsaw's stance insults memory of Auschwitz liberators - FJCR head 23 January 2015, 13:17
- Russia could be one of world's last civilizations - Church official 23 January 2015, 10:16
- Dagestan leader slams insults to Muslims' religious feelings 23 January 2015, 10:05
- Russia needs to revive Soviet-era sense of solidarity - Patriarch Kirill 22 January 2015, 19:11
- Russian political parties must not destroy basic values - patriarch Kirill 22 January 2015, 19:01
- Russian bishop blasts child euthanasia, abortions 22 January 2015, 18:13
- Lavrov considers caricatures on religious topics tasteless 22 January 2015, 10:44
- Church will support fight against nationalism and Nazism - Patriarch 22 January 2015, 10:19
- U.S., French, Israeli flags burned during Baku protest against Muhammad cartoons 21 January 2015, 18:37
- Russian Church expresses solidarity with Muslims who protested in Grozny 21 January 2015, 10:03