11 April 2007, 13:06
Reunion of the Russian Orthodox Church’s two branches is an historic event - Lavrov
Moscow, April 11, Interfax - Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov called the upcoming reunion between the Moscow Patriarchate and the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia an historic event and reaffirmed his commitment to felicitate it.
‘The upcoming reunion between the Russian Orthodox Church of the Moscow Patriarchate and the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia culminating in the two primates, Patriarch Alexy and Metropolitan Laur, signing the act of canonical communion in Moscow this May,’ the minister said in the presence of Patriarch Alexy II of Moscow and All Russia during the Easter reception for diplomats and religious leaders.
The foreign ministry ‘doing their best to help this course of events’ is sure that ‘all these will benefit Russia, a broader Orthodox world, and everyone committed to ideals of good and justice,’ Lavrov said.
Another sphere where the Russian Orthodox Church and other religious organizations may cooperate with the diplomats is ‘supporting Russian diaspora oversees helping them to uphold their links with their native country and protecting religious rights of our compatriots residing abroad,’ Lavrov added.
He noted that according to the resolutions of the 2nd World Congress of Compatriots held last year in St. Petersburg, a coordinating council was launched and mandated to pursue governmental programs aimed at supporting Russians living abroad materially, culturally and spiritually.
‘Religious organizations and above all the Russian Orthodox Church play an important role in these programs,’ the minister said.
Lavrov also highly appreciated the Russian Orthodox Church’s role in preserving interethnic and interfaith harmony ‘as a prerequisite of growth and development of the Russian statehood.’
According to him, the Church does a lot to form a spiritual and moral ethos in our society as well as ‘to prevent xenophobia and religious hatred, which are deeply alien to us, and to bring up the youth in the spirit of tolerance.’
‘It is in many respects due to this fact that Russia is very much needed to oppose the global threat of civilizational division of our world, which is provoked by not exclusively by terrorists or extremists, but also by those who promote sharply ideologized, divisive approaches to international affaires,’ the minister said.
‘Russian Orthodox Church’s significant uniting potential is revealed first of all in joint efforts to overcome tension between the civilizations,’ he added.
- Pope Francis arrives in Havana to meet with Patriarch Kirill 12 February 2016, 22:12
- Patriarch Kirill arrives at Havana airport to meet with Pope Francis 12 February 2016, 21:45
- Patriarch Kirill hopeful about upcoming meeting with Pope (updated) 12 February 2016, 19:08
- DPR court hands down first death sentence 12 February 2016, 16:36
- Patriarch Kirill arrives in Cuba for meeting with Pope Francis 12 February 2016, 10:27
- Four Hizb ut-Tahrir members arrested in Crimea 12 February 2016, 10:00
- Pope's superiority as recognized by Catholics not to affect protocol of his meeting with Patriarch Kirill - organizer 11 February 2016, 17:42
- Catholics of Russia praying for success of meeting between patriarch and pope 11 February 2016, 15:08
- Patriarch Kirill and Pope Francis agree upon joint declaration (updated) 11 February 2016, 15:05
- Russian Foreign Ministry welcomes upcoming meeting between Patriarch Kirill, Pope Francis (updated) 11 February 2016, 13:57
- Abkhazia has become the third European country with full ban on abortions 11 February 2016, 11:45
- Meeting of Patriarch Kirill and Pope Francis to continue for three hours 11 February 2016, 10:29
- New film about Griboyedov proves not 'outraged Muslim crowd' killed him, Mikhalkov says 10 February 2016, 19:40
- Russian govt not involved in preparing Patriarch-Pope meeting - spokesman 10 February 2016, 10:03
- Russian and Coptic churches support restoration of air contacts between Russia and Egypt 09 February 2016, 17:48
- Abortion ban law adopted in Abkhazia 09 February 2016, 14:42
- Former Yukos shareholders' attempts to claim title to Paris land plot challenged at court - Russian Embassy 09 February 2016, 10:40
- The Russian Church official considers symbolic that the patriarch meets with the pope 'at a crossroad' 09 February 2016, 10:03
- Church dismisses as "hoax" reports about seizure of church construction site in Paris 08 February 2016, 17:37
- Russian diplomats checking reports of Russia's Paris property seizure in Yukos lawsuit 08 February 2016, 17:17
- Patriarch, pope meeting 'a mutual step halfway' between Russia, Western world – Peskov 08 February 2016, 13:17
- Seven ISIL members preparing terror attacks in Moscow, St. Petersburg detained in Yekaterinburg 08 February 2016, 12:54
- Tajikistan's mutiny participants, leaders of outlawed Islamic Renaissance Party to face court 08 February 2016, 12:44
- Georgian Patriarchate asks to provide security to human rights activist from LGBT community 08 February 2016, 10:03
- Patriarch-pope meeting to benefit Christians in Islamic countries - mufti Tajuddin 08 February 2016, 10:02
- Rabbi Kogan blesses the patriarch-pope meeting 08 February 2016, 10:01
- Delaying patriarch-pope meeting "no longer possible" - Russian Orthodox Church 08 February 2016, 10:00
- Meeting between pope, patriarch of Moscow to mark new stage in relations between two Churches - joint statement 05 February 2016, 20:59
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church criticizes Ukraine's Foreign Ministry 05 February 2016, 17:47
- OSCE mission investigate the situation around the church in Ukrainian village of Ptichya 05 February 2016, 16:46