11 April 2007, 13:06
Reunion of the Russian Orthodox Church’s two branches is an historic event - Lavrov
Moscow, April 11, Interfax - Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov called the upcoming reunion between the Moscow Patriarchate and the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia an historic event and reaffirmed his commitment to felicitate it.
‘The upcoming reunion between the Russian Orthodox Church of the Moscow Patriarchate and the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia culminating in the two primates, Patriarch Alexy and Metropolitan Laur, signing the act of canonical communion in Moscow this May,’ the minister said in the presence of Patriarch Alexy II of Moscow and All Russia during the Easter reception for diplomats and religious leaders.
The foreign ministry ‘doing their best to help this course of events’ is sure that ‘all these will benefit Russia, a broader Orthodox world, and everyone committed to ideals of good and justice,’ Lavrov said.
Another sphere where the Russian Orthodox Church and other religious organizations may cooperate with the diplomats is ‘supporting Russian diaspora oversees helping them to uphold their links with their native country and protecting religious rights of our compatriots residing abroad,’ Lavrov added.
He noted that according to the resolutions of the 2nd World Congress of Compatriots held last year in St. Petersburg, a coordinating council was launched and mandated to pursue governmental programs aimed at supporting Russians living abroad materially, culturally and spiritually.
‘Religious organizations and above all the Russian Orthodox Church play an important role in these programs,’ the minister said.
Lavrov also highly appreciated the Russian Orthodox Church’s role in preserving interethnic and interfaith harmony ‘as a prerequisite of growth and development of the Russian statehood.’
According to him, the Church does a lot to form a spiritual and moral ethos in our society as well as ‘to prevent xenophobia and religious hatred, which are deeply alien to us, and to bring up the youth in the spirit of tolerance.’
‘It is in many respects due to this fact that Russia is very much needed to oppose the global threat of civilizational division of our world, which is provoked by not exclusively by terrorists or extremists, but also by those who promote sharply ideologized, divisive approaches to international affaires,’ the minister said.
‘Russian Orthodox Church’s significant uniting potential is revealed first of all in joint efforts to overcome tension between the civilizations,’ he added.
- Chapel founded at the site of September 11 terrorist act in New York 22 October 2014, 10:03
- Uniates leader calls UOC of the Moscow Patriarchate the only canonical Church of Ukraine 22 October 2014, 10:02
- Head of the Patriarchal Commission on Family suggests banning Internet and computer games for people under 21 22 October 2014, 10:01
- Russians see more threats from the USA than from radical Islamists - poll 21 October 2014, 14:52
- Archpriest Chaplin to Khodorkovsky: people basing on God's law instead of oligarchs and West will determine Russia's future 21 October 2014, 14:49
- Church arson reported in Ukraine's Chernigov Region 21 October 2014, 14:00
- Russian Jewish community sets example for Europe - Rabbi Lazar 21 October 2014, 11:42
- Over half of Russians say ISIL is threat - poll 20 October 2014, 15:18
- Obligatory introduction of electronic passports and universal fingerprinting make the way to absolute dictatorship - Russian church official believes 20 October 2014, 11:27
- About 1,000 Evangelical Christians gather in central Kiev to pray for Ukraine 20 October 2014, 10:33
- Metropolitan Hilarion, Pope Francis discuss Greek-Catholics' actions in Ukraine 20 October 2014, 10:04
- Moscow Patriarchate urges Catholics to jointly protect family at a legal level 17 October 2014, 12:03
- Russian Church urges Uniates to stop subversive activities against it in Ukraine 17 October 2014, 11:07
- Renowned Italian expert speaks about growing Christianophobia on Europe 17 October 2014, 10:06
- The Valaam Monastery to produce Italian sorts of cheese 16 October 2014, 17:58
- Kyrgyz parliament passes bill banning "gay propaganda" at 1st reading 16 October 2014, 15:39
- Orthodox human rights advocate suggests appointing OSCE curator on Russophobia 16 October 2014, 10:05
- Parents-Satanists call their baby Lucifer 16 October 2014, 10:02
- Eight Hizb ut-Tahrir figures arrested in Kazan 16 October 2014, 10:01
- Kazakhstan outlaws Al-Takfir wa al-Hijra 15 October 2014, 12:14
- Putin accuses human rights defenders of ignoring the persecution of Ukrainian Orthodox Church 15 October 2014, 10:11
- Monument to Nicholas II to open in Belgrade 14 October 2014, 14:26
- Serbian Ambassador criticizes the West for lack of attention to the problem of destroying churches in Kosovo 14 October 2014, 13:43
- It is time to begin developing a system of Islamic education within the country's religious institutions - FSB chief 14 October 2014, 12:54
- Patriarch Kirill asks Iraq president to protect Christians 14 October 2014, 10:05
- Schismatics occupy church in Ternopol Region of Ukraine 14 October 2014, 10:01
- Moscow Patriarchate urges to stop violence and threats against canonical Ukrainian Church 13 October 2014, 17:05
- Exact copy of the main Sevastopol Cathedral to appear in Moscow 13 October 2014, 16:34
- Over forty citizens of Georgia may be fighting in Syria on Islamic State side - media 10 October 2014, 18:06
- Most Russians unaware of ISIL, others see it as threat to peace, Russia - poll 09 October 2014, 18:12