11 April 2007, 13:06
Reunion of the Russian Orthodox Church’s two branches is an historic event - Lavrov
Moscow, April 11, Interfax - Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov called the upcoming reunion between the Moscow Patriarchate and the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia an historic event and reaffirmed his commitment to felicitate it.
‘The upcoming reunion between the Russian Orthodox Church of the Moscow Patriarchate and the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia culminating in the two primates, Patriarch Alexy and Metropolitan Laur, signing the act of canonical communion in Moscow this May,’ the minister said in the presence of Patriarch Alexy II of Moscow and All Russia during the Easter reception for diplomats and religious leaders.
The foreign ministry ‘doing their best to help this course of events’ is sure that ‘all these will benefit Russia, a broader Orthodox world, and everyone committed to ideals of good and justice,’ Lavrov said.
Another sphere where the Russian Orthodox Church and other religious organizations may cooperate with the diplomats is ‘supporting Russian diaspora oversees helping them to uphold their links with their native country and protecting religious rights of our compatriots residing abroad,’ Lavrov added.
He noted that according to the resolutions of the 2nd World Congress of Compatriots held last year in St. Petersburg, a coordinating council was launched and mandated to pursue governmental programs aimed at supporting Russians living abroad materially, culturally and spiritually.
‘Religious organizations and above all the Russian Orthodox Church play an important role in these programs,’ the minister said.
Lavrov also highly appreciated the Russian Orthodox Church’s role in preserving interethnic and interfaith harmony ‘as a prerequisite of growth and development of the Russian statehood.’
According to him, the Church does a lot to form a spiritual and moral ethos in our society as well as ‘to prevent xenophobia and religious hatred, which are deeply alien to us, and to bring up the youth in the spirit of tolerance.’
‘It is in many respects due to this fact that Russia is very much needed to oppose the global threat of civilizational division of our world, which is provoked by not exclusively by terrorists or extremists, but also by those who promote sharply ideologized, divisive approaches to international affaires,’ the minister said.
‘Russian Orthodox Church’s significant uniting potential is revealed first of all in joint efforts to overcome tension between the civilizations,’ he added.
- Russia, France need to pool efforts to protect world from dangers of globalism, Islamic fundamentalism - Le Pen (updated) 24 March 2017, 10:55
- Sixty-eight percent of citizens oppose monarchy in Russia - poll 24 March 2017, 09:30
- Rabbi Lazar urges to legalize circumcision in Russia 23 March 2017, 13:14
- Ostriches raised in a Kemerovo church, pheasants will be next 23 March 2017, 10:17
- Church official believes Lenin will be buried sooner or later 22 March 2017, 16:01
- Head of antic god or hero found at the construction site of the Crimean bridge 22 March 2017, 13:59
- Moscow mosque imam Velitov to face trial for public justification of terrorism - lawyer 22 March 2017, 12:33
- Third of Russians count national history from Kievan Rus, its Christianization - poll 22 March 2017, 12:12
- Russian masons stunned by deputy Milonov's accusations 21 March 2017, 19:40
- Putin, Russian chief mufti discuss Muslim community's activity 21 March 2017, 18:23
- Bishop of the Russian Church compares Russia airbase in Syria to a monastery 21 March 2017, 10:55
- The Russian Church will introduce its ecological initiatives to the UN 20 March 2017, 16:16
- Church official calls Stalin "executioner" and supports ban on his perpetuation in Ingushetia 20 March 2017, 14:19
- Rector of a Moscow church awakenes conscience in prostitutes who threatenes him 20 March 2017, 10:51
- Russia preserved thanks to "natural conservatism" of its people - Patriarch Kirill 20 March 2017, 10:08
- Waffen SS veterans' march in Riga glorifies murderers, justifies Nazism - Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia 20 March 2017, 10:00
- Couple in Cherkessk decides what to do with embryos in court 17 March 2017, 18:34
- The Moscow Patriarchate believes Lenin's burial is untimely 17 March 2017, 17:04
- Moldovan President counts on Patriarch Kirill's support in reuniting his country 17 March 2017, 12:36
- FJCR head criticizes ultra-Orthodox Jews who do not work and do not serve in the army 17 March 2017, 10:11
- Putin meets with head of Russian Orthodox Old-Rite Church 17 March 2017, 10:00
- Icon of Crimea heavenly protector to be delivered to the International Space Station 16 March 2017, 11:17
- Kazakhstan's AIFC strives to create favorable environment for Islamic financial institutions 15 March 2017, 13:32
- On the 100th anniversary of the emperor's abdication the patriarch prays for victims of the revolution and civil war 15 March 2017, 13:11
- Russia needs Orthodox monarchy – Crimean head 15 March 2017, 13:07
- ROCOR urges to rid Red Square of Lenin's remains and destroy monuments to him 13 March 2017, 11:07
- Kyrgyz cemeteries to be divided into sectors for various religions groups 13 March 2017, 10:13
- Inclusion of western saints' names on Moscow Patriarchate calendar aims to remind of times of undivided Church - Russian Orthodox Church 13 March 2017, 10:09
- Hungary allotted about €134,000 for restoring three Russian churches and building a new one 10 March 2017, 13:18
- Russian Orthodox Church to celebrate St. Patrick's Day - Synod's decision 10 March 2017, 12:08