11 April 2007, 13:06
Reunion of the Russian Orthodox Church’s two branches is an historic event - Lavrov
Moscow, April 11, Interfax - Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov called the upcoming reunion between the Moscow Patriarchate and the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia an historic event and reaffirmed his commitment to felicitate it.
‘The upcoming reunion between the Russian Orthodox Church of the Moscow Patriarchate and the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia culminating in the two primates, Patriarch Alexy and Metropolitan Laur, signing the act of canonical communion in Moscow this May,’ the minister said in the presence of Patriarch Alexy II of Moscow and All Russia during the Easter reception for diplomats and religious leaders.
The foreign ministry ‘doing their best to help this course of events’ is sure that ‘all these will benefit Russia, a broader Orthodox world, and everyone committed to ideals of good and justice,’ Lavrov said.
Another sphere where the Russian Orthodox Church and other religious organizations may cooperate with the diplomats is ‘supporting Russian diaspora oversees helping them to uphold their links with their native country and protecting religious rights of our compatriots residing abroad,’ Lavrov added.
He noted that according to the resolutions of the 2nd World Congress of Compatriots held last year in St. Petersburg, a coordinating council was launched and mandated to pursue governmental programs aimed at supporting Russians living abroad materially, culturally and spiritually.
‘Religious organizations and above all the Russian Orthodox Church play an important role in these programs,’ the minister said.
Lavrov also highly appreciated the Russian Orthodox Church’s role in preserving interethnic and interfaith harmony ‘as a prerequisite of growth and development of the Russian statehood.’
According to him, the Church does a lot to form a spiritual and moral ethos in our society as well as ‘to prevent xenophobia and religious hatred, which are deeply alien to us, and to bring up the youth in the spirit of tolerance.’
‘It is in many respects due to this fact that Russia is very much needed to oppose the global threat of civilizational division of our world, which is provoked by not exclusively by terrorists or extremists, but also by those who promote sharply ideologized, divisive approaches to international affaires,’ the minister said.
‘Russian Orthodox Church’s significant uniting potential is revealed first of all in joint efforts to overcome tension between the civilizations,’ he added.
- Russian school in Bethlehem to strengthen Russian-Palestinian ties - Putin 02 September 2014, 10:01
- In order to come to Russia Dalai Lama must quit politics - Lavrov 28 August 2014, 10:13
- Wahhabism supporters use Internet to campaign for extremism - Kadyrov 26 August 2014, 17:47
- Kadyrov asks clergy to resist early marriages in Chechnya 26 August 2014, 14:58
- Yamalo-Nenets authorities deny violations of Muslims' rights at local prison 26 August 2014, 14:57
- Russian social network VK says Islamic State accounts blocked 26 August 2014, 10:05
- Church burns down in Donetsk as shell hits is - diocese 26 August 2014, 10:03
- Patriarch Kirill again calls on UN, Council of Europe, OSCE to help stop fighting in Ukraine 25 August 2014, 17:08
- Ukrainian army deliberately targets orthodox churches - archbishop of Gorlovka 25 August 2014, 16:55
- Pope Francis sends greetings to Ukraine on Independence Day 25 August 2014, 10:17
- Patriarch Kirill asks Poroshenko to stop war, prays for its victims 25 August 2014, 10:16
- Shell damages Donetsk mosque 22 August 2014, 14:20
- Islamists killing of U.S. reporter Foley is barbaric - Moscow 22 August 2014, 11:21
- Historical muftiate revived in Crimea 22 August 2014, 11:09
- Ukrainian shell hits church in central Lugansk 21 August 2014, 16:21
- Clerics bless humanitarian aid sent to Ukraine 21 August 2014, 13:44
- Twice as many churches to be built in Moscow in frames of Program 200 20 August 2014, 13:25
- Church from Moscow Program-200 can be included in world’s five masterpieces of mosaic art 20 August 2014, 13:21
- Patriarch Kirill demands intl protection of Orthodox Christians in Ukraine 20 August 2014, 10:13
- Deputy mufti murder in Vladikavkaz 18 August 2014, 11:42
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church urges gunmen in eastern Ukraine to lay down arms 18 August 2014, 10:06
- Patriarch Kirill: Uniates, schismatics seeking to eradicate Orthodoxy in Ukraine 18 August 2014, 10:05
- Patriarch Kirill sends greetings to Metropolitan Onufry 18 August 2014, 10:03
- Metropolitan Onufry enthroned as primate of Ukrainian Church 18 August 2014, 10:01
- Court suspends Kharkov authorities' resolution giving Russian senator title of Kharkiv freeman for building churches 15 August 2014, 12:50
- N. Korea's missile test-launch not connected with arrival of Pope Francis in Seoul - Pyongyang 15 August 2014, 12:43
- Far-right groups threaten Kiev Region priest with reprisals 15 August 2014, 11:54
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church ready for dialogue with "Kiev Patriarchate", Autocephalous Church 15 August 2014, 11:05
- Production of Kosher food boosts thanks to sanctions 15 August 2014, 10:04
- Leaders of Jamaat Ansarullah Tajik wing killed in Afghanistan 15 August 2014, 10:03