13 April 2007, 15:36
First Easter service held at the Russian Orthodox church under construction in Rome
Moscow, April 13, Interfax - The first Easter service was held at the Russian Orthodox church dedicated to the Holy Martyr Catherine, which is being built in Rome.
On Easter Saturday, April 7, which is also the Day of the Annunciation this year, priest-monk Philip Vasiltsev, president of St. Catherine's foundation, celebrated the Divine Liturgy in this church and blessed Easter cakes.
Orthodox people and members of Russian diplomatic missions in Rome kept coming to the church through the day. Over one hundred worshipers attended the Easter service.
After the service, a common festive meal was held for the first time at the assembly hall of the church under construction, the official website of the Moscow Patriarchate reports.
Metropolitan Kirill of Smolensk and Kaliningrad, head of the Moscow Patriarchate's department for external church relations, conducted the Lesser Consecration of the church on May 19, 2006. Sunday services have been held in it on a regular basis since last October. This year, worship services were conducted every day on the Lenten first and Passion weeks.
St. Catherine, to whom the church is dedicated, is equally venerated by the Orthodox and Catholics.
The need to build the first Orthodox church in the Eternal City, where many martyred, is due to the fact that there are many Russian Orthodox faithful residing in Rome.
The first attempt to build an Orthodox church in the Italian capital city was made in the late 19th-early 20th century on the initiative of the rector of the Russian Embassy's church and with support of the Russian royal family. But the 1927 Revolution prevented the plan from being realized.
- Belgorod imam sentenced to 8.5 years for abetting terrorism 17 November 2017, 13:08
- Georgian Ministry of Interior concerned with “sweet bombarding” of countryside schools with priests participating 17 November 2017, 10:47
- Searches conducted at home of imam of one of Nazran's main mosques 17 November 2017, 10:07
- Moscow mufti urges adoption of Islam development strategy to 2030 16 November 2017, 21:55
- Ukrainian parliament makes Catholic Christmas a public holiday 16 November 2017, 21:53
- Patriarch Kirill tells U.S. ambassador of importance of developing "heart-level" contacts among pious Russians, Americans 16 November 2017, 18:46
- Talk of restoring monarchy in Russia premature - Maria Romanova 16 November 2017, 17:03
- Patriarch Kirill asks Putin to back Donbass prisoner exchange proposal 15 November 2017, 16:33
- Justice Ministry regrets ECHR rejection of Russian request to review decision on law banning gay propaganda among children 15 November 2017, 10:00
- Head of the Anglican Church arrives in Moscow next week 13 November 2017, 16:32
- Jewish Museum and Center of Tolerance celebrate their fifth anniversary 13 November 2017, 16:28
- Soviet Union managed to build "a kingdom of justice," church official believes 13 November 2017, 10:24
- Particle of St. Seraphim of Sarov relics will be brought to Greece 13 November 2017, 10:20
- Russia should impose 5-10-year moratorium on Lenin burial topic - Church representative 13 November 2017, 10:01
- Head of Madrid-based House of Romanov to meet with Patriarch Kirill in Moscow on Nov 18 09 November 2017, 10:29
- Russia without revolution could have achieved more, Metropolitan Hilarion believes 07 November 2017, 18:10
- Business ombudsman calls for Lenin to be removed from Mausoleum, for final end to be put to Soviet past 07 November 2017, 10:11
- Kadyrov waiting for Zyuganov's apology for remarks on Lenin's burial 07 November 2017, 10:07
- Putin offers Trump condolences over Texas tragedy 07 November 2017, 10:02
- Mausoleum is, must remain Lenin's burial place – Zyuganov 02 November 2017, 18:04
- Head of human rights council suggests turning Mausoleum into museum, selling tickets to enter it, think of Lenin's body as pharaoh's mummy 02 November 2017, 17:26
- Majority of Russian Protestants unlike western stand for traditional morals - Metropolitan Hilarion 02 November 2017, 16:37
- Patriarch Kirill invites Patriarch Ilia II to Moscow to celebrate 100th anniversary of restoration of Russian patriarchate 02 November 2017, 16:36
- Lenin's burial not on Kremlin agenda - Peskov 02 November 2017, 13:33
- Patriarch Kirill criticizes 'color' revolutions for using quasi-religious rhetoric 02 November 2017, 10:01
- Church representative speaks against renaming the October Revolution to "Russian" one 01 November 2017, 16:30
- Russian Jews point out to Patriarch Kirill’s special role in opposing Anti-Semitism and xenophobia 01 November 2017, 14:00
- Patriarch Kirill: if we do not educate our people, others will do it 01 November 2017, 13:29
- President and patriarch opens a monument to victims of repressions in Moscow 31 October 2017, 10:52
- Patriarch Kirill fears total control over people via gadgets 31 October 2017, 10:28