13 April 2007, 15:36
First Easter service held at the Russian Orthodox church under construction in Rome
Moscow, April 13, Interfax - The first Easter service was held at the Russian Orthodox church dedicated to the Holy Martyr Catherine, which is being built in Rome.
On Easter Saturday, April 7, which is also the Day of the Annunciation this year, priest-monk Philip Vasiltsev, president of St. Catherine's foundation, celebrated the Divine Liturgy in this church and blessed Easter cakes.
Orthodox people and members of Russian diplomatic missions in Rome kept coming to the church through the day. Over one hundred worshipers attended the Easter service.
After the service, a common festive meal was held for the first time at the assembly hall of the church under construction, the official website of the Moscow Patriarchate reports.
Metropolitan Kirill of Smolensk and Kaliningrad, head of the Moscow Patriarchate's department for external church relations, conducted the Lesser Consecration of the church on May 19, 2006. Sunday services have been held in it on a regular basis since last October. This year, worship services were conducted every day on the Lenten first and Passion weeks.
St. Catherine, to whom the church is dedicated, is equally venerated by the Orthodox and Catholics.
The need to build the first Orthodox church in the Eternal City, where many martyred, is due to the fact that there are many Russian Orthodox faithful residing in Rome.
The first attempt to build an Orthodox church in the Italian capital city was made in the late 19th-early 20th century on the initiative of the rector of the Russian Embassy's church and with support of the Russian royal family. But the 1927 Revolution prevented the plan from being realized.
- Beijing: Islamists control regional drug trafficking routes 17 April 2014, 16:27
- Russian people, like Noah, urged not to let the world finally sink in sin, Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin believes 16 April 2014, 19:21
- Two chapels and baptistery set on fire in Ulyanovsk region 16 April 2014, 17:47
- Alleged ex-activist of Hizb ut-Tahrir going on trial in Moscow 16 April 2014, 17:11
- Gay parades not permitted in Sevastopol or Simferopol 16 April 2014, 16:59
- Two imams banned from mosque service in Kyrgyzstan 16 April 2014, 15:29
- Kadyrov wants to build a mosque in Sevastopol 16 April 2014, 11:49
- Murderer confessed in his crimes after becoming a believer 15 April 2014, 16:11
- Islamic radicals are unpopular in Crimea - expert 15 April 2014, 11:08
- Putin thanks Russia's chief rabbi for contribution in enhancing inter-confession peace 15 April 2014, 10:00
- About 170 tonnes of matzah made for Passover in Russia 14 April 2014, 10:08
- Two militants suspected killers of Dagestan village imam 14 April 2014, 10:00
- Odessa Diocese secretary moves to Moscow for fear of persecution 11 April 2014, 17:27
- WRPC Human Rights Center supports the idea of criminal proceedings against Gorbachev 11 April 2014, 16:31
- Group of Jehovah's Witnesses followers detained in Uzbekistan 11 April 2014, 14:23
- Roman Abramovich spends half million dollars on Passover celebrations 11 April 2014, 10:08
- Village mosque imam killed in Dagestan 11 April 2014, 10:00
- Russian oligarchs start a pilgrimage across Israeli desert 10 April 2014, 11:39
- Radical Islam followers from Europe, Central Asia fight for Syrian militants - Bortnikov 09 April 2014, 14:03
- Assailants of Dagestan madrasah teacher killed in police operation 09 April 2014, 11:24
- Iraqi Sharia court to try Bryansk pedagogue on earthenware smuggling counts 09 April 2014, 10:59
- Kostroma authorities to appeal court ruling over illegality of gay pride parade ban 09 April 2014, 10:13
- Terrorism, Wahhabism neutralized in Chechnya completely – Kadyrov 09 April 2014, 10:04
- Russian Foundation to deliver Holy Fire from Jerusalem to Crimea 09 April 2014, 10:00
- Priest Grozovsky to be extradited to Russia soon 08 April 2014, 19:45
- Activities of 18 intl religious extremists suppressed in four Russian regions - FSB chief 08 April 2014, 12:30
- Russian prosecutors ask Israel to extradite priest accused of child molestation – sources 07 April 2014, 17:01
- Siberian hermit Agafya Lykova may move from taiga 07 April 2014, 16:50
- Group of Hizb ut-Tahrir propagandists detained in Kyrgyzstan 07 April 2014, 16:18
- Patriarch Kirill compares events in Ukraine to 1917 revolution 07 April 2014, 15:30