24 April 2007, 13:27
Yeltsin gave Russia real religious freedom - Russia’s Chief Rabbi
Moscow, April 24, Interfax - The Chief Rabbi Berel Lazar of Russia presented his condolences to the widow and daughters of the first Russian president Boris Yeltsin who died on Monday.
‘Your husband and father has won a special place in the memory of Russian people of all faith and ethnicities as the first president of the independent and free Russia and as a man who laid the foundations of the civil society in our country,’ the rabbi said.
According to Lazar, ‘millions of Russians who have got a chance to make their own decisions, to create freely, to run business, to purchase property, to see a broader world will always be grateful to Boris Yeltsin.’
‘Talmud says that the righteous never die since their deed go on. It fully applies to Boris Yeltsin. Today when we observe what our country has achieved during the period after the fall of the Communist regime, we can see the results of what your husband and father did and acknowledge his service done to all Russia,’ he said.
The Russian Jewish community ‘is and will be especially grateful to Boris Yeltsin,’ the rabbi added.
‘We will never forget how determinedly he struggled to preserve Russia historically unique as a united multiethnic and multiconfessional state as well as how he gave Russia real religious freedom,’ he said.
According to Lazar, Boris Yeltsin as politician and a public leader has ever strongly opposed chauvinism and anti-Semitism, an ‘in was not by chance that during his presidency in Russia in dozens of cities Jewish communities were established and first Jewish schools and kindergartens were opened.’
‘Our wisemen say that the man is not dead until his offspring live. When it comes to a state figure who led a great nation and preserved its integrity through the years of hard troubles, that nation’s all citizens may in a way count themselves as his offspring,’ he noted.
- In order to come to Russia Dalai Lama must quit politics - Lavrov 28 August 2014, 10:13
- Wahhabism supporters use Internet to campaign for extremism - Kadyrov 26 August 2014, 17:47
- Kadyrov asks clergy to resist early marriages in Chechnya 26 August 2014, 14:58
- Yamalo-Nenets authorities deny violations of Muslims' rights at local prison 26 August 2014, 14:57
- Russian social network VK says Islamic State accounts blocked 26 August 2014, 10:05
- Church burns down in Donetsk as shell hits is - diocese 26 August 2014, 10:03
- Patriarch Kirill again calls on UN, Council of Europe, OSCE to help stop fighting in Ukraine 25 August 2014, 17:08
- Ukrainian army deliberately targets orthodox churches - archbishop of Gorlovka 25 August 2014, 16:55
- Pope Francis sends greetings to Ukraine on Independence Day 25 August 2014, 10:17
- Patriarch Kirill asks Poroshenko to stop war, prays for its victims 25 August 2014, 10:16
- Shell damages Donetsk mosque 22 August 2014, 14:20
- Islamists killing of U.S. reporter Foley is barbaric - Moscow 22 August 2014, 11:21
- Historical muftiate revived in Crimea 22 August 2014, 11:09
- Ukrainian shell hits church in central Lugansk 21 August 2014, 16:21
- Clerics bless humanitarian aid sent to Ukraine 21 August 2014, 13:44
- Twice as many churches to be built in Moscow in frames of Program 200 20 August 2014, 13:25
- Church from Moscow Program-200 can be included in world’s five masterpieces of mosaic art 20 August 2014, 13:21
- Patriarch Kirill demands intl protection of Orthodox Christians in Ukraine 20 August 2014, 10:13
- Deputy mufti murder in Vladikavkaz 18 August 2014, 11:42
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church urges gunmen in eastern Ukraine to lay down arms 18 August 2014, 10:06
- Patriarch Kirill: Uniates, schismatics seeking to eradicate Orthodoxy in Ukraine 18 August 2014, 10:05
- Patriarch Kirill sends greetings to Metropolitan Onufry 18 August 2014, 10:03
- Metropolitan Onufry enthroned as primate of Ukrainian Church 18 August 2014, 10:01
- Court suspends Kharkov authorities' resolution giving Russian senator title of Kharkiv freeman for building churches 15 August 2014, 12:50
- N. Korea's missile test-launch not connected with arrival of Pope Francis in Seoul - Pyongyang 15 August 2014, 12:43
- Far-right groups threaten Kiev Region priest with reprisals 15 August 2014, 11:54
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church ready for dialogue with "Kiev Patriarchate", Autocephalous Church 15 August 2014, 11:05
- Production of Kosher food boosts thanks to sanctions 15 August 2014, 10:04
- Leaders of Jamaat Ansarullah Tajik wing killed in Afghanistan 15 August 2014, 10:03
- Rabbi calls for terrorists in Iraq, Syria to be ruthlessly killed, their sponsors tried in The Hague 15 August 2014, 10:01