01 May 2007, 13:59
Estonian Orthodox primate proposes setting up cross instead of Bronze Soldier
Tallinn, May 1, Interfax - Primate of the Estonian Orthodox Church of the Moscow Patriarchate Cornelius, the Metropolitan of Tallinn and all-Estonia, has proposed to perpetuate the memory of the place where the Bronze Soldier monument was installed by setting up a cross.
"As far the place of the monument of concerned, I propose to install a cross to commemorate the sad event, just as in other places of sorrow, for example places where large vessels such as Estonia and Rusalka wrecked," a statement by the Metropolitan published on the official website of the Estonian Orthodox Church reads.
He criticized actions of Estonian authorities during the unrest that broke out late last week.
"Our government ignored the position of the Tallinn authorities, which rests on opinions of participants in a round table meeting on the Bronze Soldier monument problem, statements articulated by Estonian and foreign politicians, public figures and organizations, and common sense, when started on April 26, 2007, the eve of the Victory Day, the operation to insult the memory of soldiers who fought 'Brown Plaque,'" the statement reads.
"The issue does not deal with reburying the remains of soldiers, it deals with the attitude to their memory. The place was sacred for years for every person who understands that Nazism is disastrous for the mankind. The place was sacred for those who respected the memory of soldiers who sacrificed their lives so that we may live in free society today," the Metropolitan said.
"The Bronze Soldier was a symbol of honor and dignity for those who respect the memory of soldiers," he said.
"There is nothing bad about people's wrathful protest against an attempt to oust the monument to a cemetery. However, it is bad that many people who got down to good cause did not change themselves at first and allowed their small passions to slope over, yielded to provocations and behaved in a manner unworthy of dead soldiers, thus disgracing themselves ad their associates desecrating the memory of soldiers and playing into hands of those who seed ethnic hatred in society. It is bad that they bend anger against innocent," the statement reads.
"Protesting is a matter of conscience of every person; however, forms of protest should comply with the goal. Mean methods do not justify a decent goal and hinder achieving it," the Metropolitan said.
The unrest broke out in Estonia on Thursday night after the government started preparations to begin excavating the common grave to Soviet soldiers who fought the Nazis. The Russian community regards the plans as an insult to the dead. The protests developed into rioting that has spread from Tallinn to some towns in the northeast with a large ethnic Russian population.
- Russian Culture Ministry to support only art focused on traditional values 01 April 2015, 17:53
- Russian Muslim admin issues fatwa condemning ISIL 01 April 2015, 10:00
- Moscow's chief rabbi to meet with pope to discuss religious extremism in Europe 31 March 2015, 16:45
- Vatican ex-advisor converts to Orthodoxy and becomes a monk in Moscow monastery 31 March 2015, 15:49
- Number of Hizb ut-Tahrir supporters drastically down in Crimea - Russian Interior Ministry 31 March 2015, 10:01
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin criticizes 'spiritual relax' in connection with tragedy in the Alps 30 March 2015, 17:56
- Imams of Tajik mosques are urged to call for closure of Islamic Revival Party 30 March 2015, 16:45
- Lavrov meets with Orthodox monastery abbess in Guatemala 27 March 2015, 10:46
- Pilot Savchenko’s files contain information about torturing a priest 26 March 2015, 19:25
- Kolomoisky's resignation is the sign of Ukraine's growing dependence on the West, Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin believes 26 March 2015, 18:26
- Russians trained by ISIL may be used against home country 26 March 2015, 15:08
- Kyrgyzstan outlaws Islamic State 25 March 2015, 15:36
- Chechen leader, Jordanian king discuss fight against IS 25 March 2015, 10:00
- Moscow Patriarchate priest assaulted in west Ukraine 24 March 2015, 10:00
- Ukrainians trust Church the most - poll 23 March 2015, 17:22
- Over 5,000 mercenaries from CIS fight on ISIS side - expert 23 March 2015, 16:15
- Schoolchildren from Turkey, Italy, Egypt to discuss fight against religious extremism in St. Petersburg 23 March 2015, 12:57
- Uzbekistan worried about ISIL activity near its borders 23 March 2015, 12:19
- Patriarch Kirill awards Lavrov 23 March 2015, 11:28
- Chubais doubts Nemtsov murder motivated by religious hatred 23 March 2015, 10:15
- IS recruiters targeting North Caucasus students - envoy Melikov 23 March 2015, 10:00
- Russian Orthodox Church concerned about legalization of same-sex "marriage", abortion issue, and secularism in Europe 20 March 2015, 17:35
- The Russian Church conveys twenty five tones of humanitarian help to Donbass residents 20 March 2015, 14:41
- Another Moscow Patriarchate church seized in Ukraine 20 March 2015, 10:00
- Leader of women's wing of Hizb ut-Tahrir detained, arms cache discovered in south Kyrgyzstan 19 March 2015, 10:02
- Head of the Russian State Archive suggests to exhume remains of the tzar family to examine them again 18 March 2015, 16:28
- Russian Central Muslim Board urges artists to be more delicate about believers' feelings 16 March 2015, 14:57
- Russia is urged to revive Christianity in Europe - Patriarch Kirill 16 March 2015, 14:21
- Fire in Novodevichy Convent bell tower did not damage building 16 March 2015, 13:42
- Tannhauser opera staged in Novosibirsk desecrates Christian symbols - Mufti of Moscow 13 March 2015, 18:44