01 May 2007, 13:59
Estonian Orthodox primate proposes setting up cross instead of Bronze Soldier
Tallinn, May 1, Interfax - Primate of the Estonian Orthodox Church of the Moscow Patriarchate Cornelius, the Metropolitan of Tallinn and all-Estonia, has proposed to perpetuate the memory of the place where the Bronze Soldier monument was installed by setting up a cross.
"As far the place of the monument of concerned, I propose to install a cross to commemorate the sad event, just as in other places of sorrow, for example places where large vessels such as Estonia and Rusalka wrecked," a statement by the Metropolitan published on the official website of the Estonian Orthodox Church reads.
He criticized actions of Estonian authorities during the unrest that broke out late last week.
"Our government ignored the position of the Tallinn authorities, which rests on opinions of participants in a round table meeting on the Bronze Soldier monument problem, statements articulated by Estonian and foreign politicians, public figures and organizations, and common sense, when started on April 26, 2007, the eve of the Victory Day, the operation to insult the memory of soldiers who fought 'Brown Plaque,'" the statement reads.
"The issue does not deal with reburying the remains of soldiers, it deals with the attitude to their memory. The place was sacred for years for every person who understands that Nazism is disastrous for the mankind. The place was sacred for those who respected the memory of soldiers who sacrificed their lives so that we may live in free society today," the Metropolitan said.
"The Bronze Soldier was a symbol of honor and dignity for those who respect the memory of soldiers," he said.
"There is nothing bad about people's wrathful protest against an attempt to oust the monument to a cemetery. However, it is bad that many people who got down to good cause did not change themselves at first and allowed their small passions to slope over, yielded to provocations and behaved in a manner unworthy of dead soldiers, thus disgracing themselves ad their associates desecrating the memory of soldiers and playing into hands of those who seed ethnic hatred in society. It is bad that they bend anger against innocent," the statement reads.
"Protesting is a matter of conscience of every person; however, forms of protest should comply with the goal. Mean methods do not justify a decent goal and hinder achieving it," the Metropolitan said.
The unrest broke out in Estonia on Thursday night after the government started preparations to begin excavating the common grave to Soviet soldiers who fought the Nazis. The Russian community regards the plans as an insult to the dead. The protests developed into rioting that has spread from Tallinn to some towns in the northeast with a large ethnic Russian population.
- Released Lugansk priest claims pilot Savchenko suggested to divide them to organs 17 September 2014, 10:22
- Ukrainian bishop believes the country's authorities Satanic 16 September 2014, 12:15
- Two Hizb ut-Tahrir activists detained in Kyrgyzstan 16 September 2014, 11:42
- War against Islamic State promises benefit to Russia - religious expert 16 September 2014, 11:33
- The Ukrainian church official accuses the country's authorities in eliminating their own people 15 September 2014, 16:28
- Russian Foreign Ministry calls a "mockery of common sense" discharge of the Femen activists for their action in Notre Dame de Paris 15 September 2014, 14:22
- Supporters of so-called Kiev Patriarchate attempt to take over church near Kiev 15 September 2014, 11:53
- Three Tajik Islamists sentenced to imprisonment in Khabarovsk Territory 15 September 2014, 10:50
- Rabbi Kogan urges to respond to Western sanctions with a baby boom 12 September 2014, 11:04
- Rabbi Lazar opens a hockey match between renowned sportsmen and the Jewish community team 12 September 2014, 10:20
- Greek-Catholic priest urges to eliminate militiamen 11 September 2014, 16:40
- Putin lights candles for "defenders of Novorossiya" in Moscow church 11 September 2014, 13:44
- Austrian MP condemns USA in attempts to blow up traditional European values 11 September 2014, 13:28
- ISIS has 100,000 fighters, including Western, Russian citizens - expert 10 September 2014, 12:51
- U.S. report on religious freedom in Uzbekistan biased - Tashkent 09 September 2014, 14:51
- Idea of Russian World not means of enslaving Ukraine - Patriarch Kirill 08 September 2014, 16:13
- Russia, Ukraine, Belarus linked with invincible spiritual bonds - Patriarch Kirill 08 September 2014, 10:00
- ISIL Islamists threaten not just Russia but to all Europe - Margelov 04 September 2014, 10:01
- Over 200 fake passports seized from Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan in Moscow 04 September 2014, 10:01
- Crimea does not need sexual minorities - Aksyonov 02 September 2014, 17:56
- Russian school in Bethlehem to strengthen Russian-Palestinian ties - Putin 02 September 2014, 10:01
- In order to come to Russia Dalai Lama must quit politics - Lavrov 28 August 2014, 10:13
- Wahhabism supporters use Internet to campaign for extremism - Kadyrov 26 August 2014, 17:47
- Kadyrov asks clergy to resist early marriages in Chechnya 26 August 2014, 14:58
- Yamalo-Nenets authorities deny violations of Muslims' rights at local prison 26 August 2014, 14:57
- Russian social network VK says Islamic State accounts blocked 26 August 2014, 10:05
- Church burns down in Donetsk as shell hits is - diocese 26 August 2014, 10:03
- Patriarch Kirill again calls on UN, Council of Europe, OSCE to help stop fighting in Ukraine 25 August 2014, 17:08
- Ukrainian army deliberately targets orthodox churches - archbishop of Gorlovka 25 August 2014, 16:55
- Pope Francis sends greetings to Ukraine on Independence Day 25 August 2014, 10:17