01 May 2007, 13:59
Estonian Orthodox primate proposes setting up cross instead of Bronze Soldier
Tallinn, May 1, Interfax - Primate of the Estonian Orthodox Church of the Moscow Patriarchate Cornelius, the Metropolitan of Tallinn and all-Estonia, has proposed to perpetuate the memory of the place where the Bronze Soldier monument was installed by setting up a cross.
"As far the place of the monument of concerned, I propose to install a cross to commemorate the sad event, just as in other places of sorrow, for example places where large vessels such as Estonia and Rusalka wrecked," a statement by the Metropolitan published on the official website of the Estonian Orthodox Church reads.
He criticized actions of Estonian authorities during the unrest that broke out late last week.
"Our government ignored the position of the Tallinn authorities, which rests on opinions of participants in a round table meeting on the Bronze Soldier monument problem, statements articulated by Estonian and foreign politicians, public figures and organizations, and common sense, when started on April 26, 2007, the eve of the Victory Day, the operation to insult the memory of soldiers who fought 'Brown Plaque,'" the statement reads.
"The issue does not deal with reburying the remains of soldiers, it deals with the attitude to their memory. The place was sacred for years for every person who understands that Nazism is disastrous for the mankind. The place was sacred for those who respected the memory of soldiers who sacrificed their lives so that we may live in free society today," the Metropolitan said.
"The Bronze Soldier was a symbol of honor and dignity for those who respect the memory of soldiers," he said.
"There is nothing bad about people's wrathful protest against an attempt to oust the monument to a cemetery. However, it is bad that many people who got down to good cause did not change themselves at first and allowed their small passions to slope over, yielded to provocations and behaved in a manner unworthy of dead soldiers, thus disgracing themselves ad their associates desecrating the memory of soldiers and playing into hands of those who seed ethnic hatred in society. It is bad that they bend anger against innocent," the statement reads.
"Protesting is a matter of conscience of every person; however, forms of protest should comply with the goal. Mean methods do not justify a decent goal and hinder achieving it," the Metropolitan said.
The unrest broke out in Estonia on Thursday night after the government started preparations to begin excavating the common grave to Soviet soldiers who fought the Nazis. The Russian community regards the plans as an insult to the dead. The protests developed into rioting that has spread from Tallinn to some towns in the northeast with a large ethnic Russian population.
- Donetsk Metropolitan asks Poroshenko to stop marauding practiced by Ukrainian militants 19 December 2014, 17:43
- Bishops want more autonomy for Moscow-governed Belarusian Church 18 December 2014, 18:03
- Russian Church builds a cultural center in Hamburg for 5 mln euro 18 December 2014, 17:23
- Gadget users may soon turn in animals, will "snarl, peep and grunt" - Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin 18 December 2014, 17:05
- Orthodox believers insist on building a church in Moscow City instead of the Eye of Sauron 17 December 2014, 14:15
- NAC: Assaults, extortions are main sources financing religious extremists 16 December 2014, 13:24
- Terrorist leader, who killed imam, is among militants killed in Dagestan 15 December 2014, 18:09
- Serbian bishop condemns schismatics in Ukraine 15 December 2014, 17:58
- Islamic activists in Kyrgyzstan believe there should be no male obstetricians 15 December 2014, 10:09
- Russian diplomat discusses condition of Christians in Mideast, situation in Syria at meetings in Lebanon 15 December 2014, 10:08
- IOPS to present White Book on slain Mideast Christians at UN 15 December 2014, 10:03
- Arab Spring, IS aimed at demonizing Islam - Patriarch Kirill 12 December 2014, 17:49
- National policy should focus on worthy support of Russian people - Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin 12 December 2014, 17:21
- World Russian People's Council states Ukraine practices tortures based on the CIA technique 12 December 2014, 13:28
- Over seventy Russian graves vandalized in Australian Orthodox cemetery 12 December 2014, 10:02
- Kremlin official slams violence against members of Moscow-ruled Orthodox Church in Ukraine 11 December 2014, 17:51
- Metropolitan Hilarion condemns anti-Christian "genocide" in M. East 11 December 2014, 17:17
- Pope Francis invited to Kazakhstan 10 December 2014, 17:26
- Syria jihad recruiters spotted in southern Kyrgyzstan 10 December 2014, 17:06
- Metropolitan Hilarion believes Nicholas II made a mistake when he joined World War I 09 December 2014, 17:21
- Chapel to commemorate perished home guards to be set up in Saur Mogila 09 December 2014, 14:35
- Orthodox church desecrated and robbed in west Ukraine 08 December 2014, 18:57
- Patriarch Kirill prays for prevention of war between Russia, West 08 December 2014, 13:07
- DNR authorities accuse Kiev in purposeful shelling of churches 08 December 2014, 11:26
- Kadyrov: Family of Wahabis guilty of murder to be evicted from Chechnya 08 December 2014, 10:58
- Russian Supreme Court finds Jehovah's Witnesses' website to be extremist 05 December 2014, 10:09
- Russia should use the period of trial for making a break-through - Berel Lazar 05 December 2014, 10:05
- Crimea has sacral meaning for Russia - Putin 04 December 2014, 15:21
- Kyrgyz police detect Hizb ut-Tahrir group 04 December 2014, 12:32
- Orthodox Christians in Russia, U.S. can improve countries' relationship - Patriarch Kirill 04 December 2014, 10:02