01 May 2007, 14:00
Ethnic Russians quit Estonian police to stay away from violence - public figure
Tallinn, May 1, Interfax - Ethnic Russians want to resign from the Estonian police so as not to participate in illegal actions to stop the unrest, secretary of the Estonian Anti-Fascist Committee Andrey Zarenkov told Interfax.
"Some 350 police officers are planning to or have submitted their resignations after they were forced to beat protesters against the dismantling of the monument to Soviet soldiers," he said.
"The officers say they don't want to beat teenagers or innocent people," he said adding that for understandable reasons he could not disclose his sources.
Zarenkov said that on Saturday the Anti-Fascist Committee opened a hotline for reporting on missing relatives and acts of arbitrariness by the authorities.
"The hotline is very busy. Three people are answering the calls. Some of the women activists asked to be relieved of the work because they cannot stand listening to the stories of the victims of police brutality," he said.
He said that as detention centers are overcrowded many of the detainees were taken to a cargo terminal in Tallinn seaport. "People were forced to squat for hours or lie on the concrete floor with their hands tied behind their backs. The police used plastic handcuffs which caused great pain," he said.
"The security men selectively beat the detainees including women and teenagers. We have an account that they beat a 12-year-old girl lying on the floor for attempting to stand up. We have pictures of a toilet which is stained with the blood of the injured detainees," Zarenkov said.
However, the police have not confirmed the information of the Anti-Fascist Committee. Spokesman for the northern police prefecture told Interfax on Sunday that the rumors of the resignation of police officers are untrue.
- Russian Orthodox Church hopes third world war won't happen, despite aggressive rhetoric 08 May 2021, 17:56
- Jewish community of Russia urges to help relatives of victims crushed on Mt. Meron 30 April 2021, 16:37
- UOC head urges participants in the Donbass conflict to cease fire on Easter days 30 April 2021, 13:46
- Kremlin hasn't received official proposal from Zelensky to meet with Putin at Vatican 28 April 2021, 13:25
- Epicenter of persecutions against Christians has moved from the Middle East to Africa - report 28 April 2021, 13:13
- Zelensky calls Vatican optimal venue for meeting with Putin 28 April 2021, 12:15
- There are 2 billion Christians and 4 million churches in the world, the Russian church official reports 28 April 2021, 10:18
- Russia’s first monastery-based vaccination center against Covid-19 opened in Belgorod 28 April 2021, 10:15
- RJC demands those who attacked Jewish community building in Moscow be found, punished 28 April 2021, 10:00
- Georgia to suspend public transport services during Orthodox Easter holidays due to Covid-19 26 April 2021, 16:31
- Patriarch Kirill speaks of offer to head up opposition in 1990s 26 April 2021, 11:50
- Russian archaeologists to examine about a dozen ancient Christian churches in Syria 26 April 2021, 11:36
- FSB busts the Siberian Hizb ut-Tahrir cell that recruited Muslims 23 April 2021, 12:05
- Patriarch Kirill grants request to retire of Metropolitan Juvenaly 14 April 2021, 18:12
- Influx of migrants contributing to emergence of hotbeds of interfaith tensions in Crimea - Patrushev 14 April 2021, 17:25
- Jehovah's Witnesses cell busted in Russia's Tula 14 April 2021, 12:21
- Yekaterinburg Diocese says nuns, lay sisters from closed Sredneuralsky Convent may choose any of its convents 14 April 2021, 10:51
- Nuns leaving Sredneuralsky Convent, diocese reps sealing off premises 14 April 2021, 10:46
- Court orders residents of Sredneuralsky Convent to leave its premises 14 April 2021, 10:40
- Russian FM speaks of important global role of Russian Orthodox Church, supports its initiatives 08 April 2021, 18:02
- Court of appeals declines to soften sentence given to leader of Aum Shinrikyo's Russian cell 08 April 2021, 10:00
- Russian man charged with organizing erotic photo shoot in UAE facing at least 6 months in prison 05 April 2021, 18:16
- Moscow court keeps former Urals schema monk Sergy in custody 05 April 2021, 17:55
- Presumed supporter of Ukrainian nationalists detained in Barnaul confesses to plotting to blow up mosque – FSB 02 April 2021, 17:53
- The FJCR official calls "the oldest manuscript" of Torah a fake 02 April 2021, 10:00
- St. Petersburg court bans mobile app of Jehovah's Witnesses in Russia 01 April 2021, 10:00
- Serial destroyer of angel sculptures detained in St. Petersburg 31 March 2021, 13:31
- Abortions in Russia dropped almost 40% over past 5 years 31 March 2021, 10:00
- Putin pledges to prevent foreign interethnic conflicts from spilling over into Russia 30 March 2021, 16:01
- Polarized opinions on acceptability of in vitro fertilization observed in Russian Orthodox Church 30 March 2021, 10:00